NFL suffers 9.7 percent drop in TV ratings for regular season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
What a load of crap the "boycott the NFL" nonsense was.

What ever happened to not liking somebody's opinion, (be it political, religious, sports, etc.) and then just getting over it and going about your day?

Because people started pushing their agendas on other people and wouldn't let well enough be.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
NFL needs to understand, at this juncture in socieity, leave Politics & Religion to the rest of the world...If a player wants a platform, that's fine, but not the organization you represent, especially in today's social media. Nothing wrong with a player or person doing what ever they can to make the community better, but it does not have to involve the company or organization you are employed by and again JMHO.

As to the ratings, well, the Jaguar vs Patriot game was the highest rated TV show of the year last week (2017) so other sports dream to be like the NFL. Full time officials will help along with speeding up replays, but the lack of practice time has hurt the product.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I went from regular TV to online streaming to cut the amount of commercials I had to watch. I used to watch 2 or 3 games on Sunday, now I just watch the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still cracks me up that people won’t acknowledge there are many different reasons that ratings are down. They pretend it’s this or that but can’t be those. It’s all of it to differing degrees but our society now is a point your finger and blame and we assign hateful monicker to people who don’t think the same as us.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I went from regular TV to online streaming to cut the amount of commercials I had to watch. I used to watch 2 or 3 games on Sunday, now I just watch the Rams.

Did the same thing for the most part. I understand how capitalism works and how TV needs to show commercials in order to pay for the shows/games we're watching. That's fine and all but they're shooting themselves in the foot by overdoing it.

I'm old enough to remember when there were 4 commercials every hour. Now it seems like half of every hour is commercials. Btw what ever happened to the segue when they would go to a commercial break? There would be a second or two when the show faded out before the commercial was on. Now you'll be watching something and then immediately, boom, the volume is cranked up and someone is selling their crap.

Kickoff or punt return - commercial. Field goal - commercial. Injury - commercial. Reviewing a penalty or a controversial call - commercial. Half-time - lots of commercials. Repeat the same thing for the second half. And yet some wonder why NFL ratings are down.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Is online streaming part of those ratings? I know a lot more people are streaming games and watching them on phones, tablets, etc. I canceled the Sunday Ticket because it was too expensive. If the Rams are on TV I'll watch them there. If not I'll stream it. Many times there are no commercials. Just a screen saying a momentary break. When I stream the Rams on my laptop are they able to determine I'm watching? Does that count towards the amount of people watching? The new generation today uses their phone for everything.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Yes. People take a mental shortcut and assign blame to one thing, one reason, because it's easier that way. People want to make complicated issues simple when the answer isn't simple..

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
NFL needs to understand, at this juncture in socieity, leave Politics & Religion to the rest of the world...If a player wants a platform, that's fine, but not the organization you represent, especially in today's social media. Nothing wrong with a player or person doing what ever they can to make the community better, but it does not have to involve the company or organization you are employed by and again JMHO.

As to the ratings, well, the Jaguar vs Patriot game was the highest rated TV show of the year last week (2017) so other sports dream to be like the NFL. Full time officials will help along with speeding up replays,

The thing is, EVERYTHING in current times is politicized or made into a social issue. When it should have no business being so. I.E., Wonder Woman was a great movie, not some social statement. I'm hoping that the upcoming Black Panther movie won't be treated the same.

but the lack of practice time has hurt the product.

Ehh, lack of practice didn't hurt the Rams this year. Their was no longer issues on the or off the field = wins. Barring injuries, well run franchises continue to tick. Then on the flip side you always got the Browns, Bengals, Dolphins, etc. doing their same idiocy as always.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Is online streaming part of those ratings? I know a lot more people are streaming games and watching them on phones, tablets, etc. I canceled the Sunday Ticket because it was too expensive. If the Rams are on TV I'll watch them there. If not I'll stream it. Many times there are no commercials. Just a screen saying a momentary break. When I stream the Rams on my laptop are they able to determine I'm watching? Does that count towards the amount of people watching? The new generation today uses their phone for everything.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/600289/social-media-streaming-now-count-towards-nielsen-tv-ratings

No longer will television ratings be restricted to data gathered from Nielsen "boxes" in select homes; the measurement information company will now look at streaming as well as conversations on Twitter and Facebook, Mediaite reports.

The new social media system is called "Social Content Ratings," and will measure conversations continuously, rather than only when a show airs. In its deal with Facebook, this means that Nielsen will receive data on conversations about TV shows even when they are mentioned in posts that aren't marked "public."

Nielsen data is used by media companies to better understand what shows to develop and market; advertisers use it to decide where to buy ads. According to The New York Times, the changes further integrate increasingly important social ratings into the industry.

Psycho_X

Legend
Did the same thing for the most part. I understand how capitalism works and how TV needs to show commercials in order to pay for the shows/games we're watching. That's fine and all but they're shooting themselves in the foot by overdoing it.

I'm old enough to remember when there were 4 commercials every hour. Now it seems like half of every hour is commercials. Btw what ever happened to the segue when they would go to a commercial break? There would be a second or two when the show faded out before the commercial was on. Now you'll be watching something and then immediately, boom, the volume is cranked up and someone is selling their crap.

Kickoff or punt return - commercial. Field goal - commercial. Injury - commercial. Reviewing a penalty or a controversial call - commercial. Half-time - lots of commercials. Repeat the same thing for the second half. And yet some wonder why NFL ratings are down.

Absolutely, it's gotten out of hand having to fit every single possible commercial or product placement in a three hour span. And capitalism will win over and the NFL will adapt to it eventually. I harp on it all the time but the NFL really shouldn't have pigeon holed itself into a decade long contract basically handcuffing itself to a rigid and outdated means of getting entertainment at the cusp of a brand new way of receiving with streaming. They may have lost some money in the short term but long term they could have made so much more pioneering themselves into their own streaming service.

Anyway, point being eventually they will be forced to do something about it. My short term hope is they work out a deal with directv to offer packages with their directv now streaming service. My long term hope is the NFL adapts and offers their own streaming app with a multitude of packages catering to what a person actually wants to watch.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wonder Woman was a great movie,

A Young Linda Carter was much hotter IMHO, but I'm a sucker for brunet's with blue eyes.
landscape-1469716323-wonder-woman-gal-gadot.jpg

rs_1024x759-161021115018-1024.Lynda-Carter-Wonder-Woman.ms.102116.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
IDK but disrespecting the flag of the country you reside can’t be a good thing.

I’m sorry. I don’t want to start anything, but this just isn’t factually correct.

I’m a Vet and know the rules for displaying the flag and the ceremony.

Taking a knee to protest IS NOT DISRESPECTFUL to the flag. Now, people have opinions about the protest which is about nothing more than police brutality and the wanton killing of people of color. Not talking about that.

You know what IS disrespectful? Holding the flag horizontally. The ONLY time that is allowed is when an honor guard is placing or removing the flag from a coffin.

So, if anyone REALLY cares about “disrespecting the flag” as opposed to the protests, then the issue is how the NFL is celebrated for disrespecting the flag EVERY DAMN GAMEDAY.

Again, not talking about how anyone feels about the protests which, let's be honest, is pretty much a Rohrschach test for people’s political views and are generally mischaracterized to the extent that the mischaracterizaton serves their dogma/worldview.

The flag rules are simple and written down. Almost no one complained when the NFL since 9/11 has been desecrating the flag by holding it horizontally and often letting it hit the ground.

I support anyone having views on the protests. Not my contention. But I really can’t take conflating the flag stuff with the protest stuff anymore.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As to the ratings, well, the Jaguar vs Patriot game was the highest rated TV show of the year last week (2017) so other sports dream to be like the NFL. Full time officials will help along with speeding up replays, but the lack of practice time has hurt the product.

The officiating is the one thing outside of the volume of commercials that pretty much every fan agrees on.

A couple of years a go someone made a point that the NFL had turned itself into an ad delivery system.

Still cracks me up that people won’t acknowledge there are many different reasons that ratings are down. They pretend it’s this or that but can’t be those. It’s all of it to differing degrees but our society now is a point your finger and blame and we assign hateful monicker to people who don’t think the same as us.

CBS did a mammoth survey about this and sliced it and diced it in all sorts of ways. It's interesting and I saved the PDF to my laptop. You should search it out, it's well worth reading and it's why I usually chime in when the "disrespecting our flag" thing comes up. People don't really know the facts about why and as you point out there are several reasons, and in each demographic there are differences in how the top 4 or 5 rank.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/600289/social-media-streaming-now-count-towards-nielsen-tv-ratings

No longer will television ratings be restricted to data gathered from Nielsen "boxes" in select homes; the measurement information company will now look at streaming as well as conversations on Twitter and Facebook, Mediaite reports.

The new social media system is called "Social Content Ratings," and will measure conversations continuously, rather than only when a show airs. In its deal with Facebook, this means that Nielsen will receive data on conversations about TV shows even when they are mentioned in posts that aren't marked "public."

Nielsen data is used by media companies to better understand what shows to develop and market; advertisers use it to decide where to buy ads. According to The New York Times, the changes further integrate increasingly important social ratings into the industry.

Dude.........nice find!

A Young Linda Carter was much hotter IMHO, but I'm a sucker for brunet's with blue eyes.

OMG Linda Carter was a fave of mine too..........and she's still a beauty.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
My long term hope is the NFL adapts and offers their own streaming app with a multitude of packages catering to what a person actually wants to watch.
Sadly, the NFL has ALREADY gone in the opposite direction.

Case in point: they used to offer a LIVE Streaming Pre-season game package for about $30 a year, for which I gladly subscribed. They decided 2 years ago to fold in the Pre-Season games with their GamePass streaming package for around $100, which allowed you to stream re-airs of all the games (not LIVE, of course). All I wanted was to be able to watch a stream of the Rams Preseason games while they aired live -- didn't need or WANT all that other shit, so I canceled my subscription.

Why would the NFL charge you less for the selected bits of what you want to see, when they can charge you out the wazoo and give you a bunch of stuff you DON'T want?!?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
How come these stories never seem to acknowledge that there are simply less people watching "traditional" television?

Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN, and the NFL refuses to adapt; they want to take the Sears route in structure (simply doing business as usual) only to realize it's gonna bite them hard in the long-run.

Not a fan of Nielsen ratings this past decade, it's not a reliable tool in terms of measuring viewership. Have to adapt to other mediums if you want sustainable success.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Mac, thank you for posting that comment. I appreciate the comments of veterans on this subject.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So, how does this work (streaming games)?

I've had The Ticket since '98... if there's a more economical way, teach me Sensei...

Other than a few games I have not watched one on TV in a few years. Actually about 5 years.

Check out buffstream.com

Admins if that's a no-no to put that there go ahead and delete it and I will PM the info.

Not a fan of Nielsen ratings this past decade, it's not a reliable tool in terms of measuring viewership. Have to adapt to other mediums if you want sustainable success.

I agree.........but it's way better than the scam that is the radio ratings method.