NFL suffers 9.7 percent drop in TV ratings for regular season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If Mike openly refers to people with a different opinion than him as "idiots," I guess he won't mind if we continue to refer to him as "Foolio."
****************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ets-g-m-joins-the-anti-football-idiot-parade/

Houston Rockets G.M. joins the anti-football idiot parade
Posted by Mike Foolio on January 25, 2018

148783539-e1516899654236.jpg

Getty Images

Mark Cuban isn’t the only figure connected to a Texas basketball team who is taking shots at the unofficial sport of Texas.

Houston Rockets G.M. Daryl Morey recently predicted the demise of the NFL in a social-media post.

“Tick tock it is just a matter of time before the NFL is basically irrelevant as a sport,” Morey said. “No global base, no one plays anymore.”

The cartoonishly misguided claim came in response to comments regarding the NBA’s desire to get a pie of the gambling pie, if/when New York legalizes sports wagering. So does Morey think the NFL won’t try to do the same thing? And does Morey not realize that, because BILLIONS more already are wagered on the NFL than the NBA, the NFL will generate even more money when the football and basketball leagues are getting a cut of the total action?

Also, to the extent that Morey believes “no one plays [football] anymore,” he should open his eyes and/or remove his head from an orifice that would keep his eyes covered. He lives and works in Texas. College and high school football is everywhere in Texas. And neither college nor high school football is going anywhere any time soon (or ever) in Texas, even if participation at the youth level has declined over time.

I know, it’s hard for these other sports to accept the NFL’s dominance. And, I know, it costs nothing to make self-serving proclamations about the demise of a sports league that currently is doing far better than the NBA. The only risk to uttering such ridiculousness is being called an idiot.

So, Daryl, you’re an idiot.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Mike openly refers to people with a different opinion than him as "idiots," I guess he won't mind if we continue to refer to him as "Foolio."

He's the poster boy for what's wrong with sports journalism isn't he..........

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
He's the poster boy for what's wrong with sports journalism isn't he..........

He and Peter King along with a long line of sports columnists/talking heads who falsely believe the rest of us are interested in their personal opinions on topics other than sports.

PFT comes in handy for copy/paste stories on the NFL and MMQB at times has good in-depth articles. Too bad these two characters are doing their best to ruin their own sites.

Foolio and Peter King are railing against anyone who predicts the demise of the NFL because their livelihoods depend on the league continuing to thrive. Don't blame them for that but it would help their credibility, what's left of it, if they would at least admit their agenda.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Outside of illegal streams, they generally can take into consideration legal streams (i.e. Sunday Ticket, and WATCHESPN, and similar) when calculating total viewership. I remember earlier this season, when they realized total viewership has declined, mainly credited to player demonstrations, politics and viewers boycotting the NFL, the league started giving incentive to players by offering to donate money to different social justice organizations to end the player protesting.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Yeah, Nationalism is a bit distasteful. We should just have more "no go zones" like you guys in the UK, huh? (y)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Sorry, man. Just poking fun. :)

Don't really want to steer this thread off the cliff. (look it up, if you'd like)

As far as the point of this thread, I think a lot of guys have made good points about the traditional TV ratings being down, in light of modern streaming, etc.

However, my anecdotal experience says a lot of people (some hardcore fans) are boycotting the NFL because of the spoiled brat Kraperdick, and those supporting his "cause".

Psycho_X

Legend
A mixture of forcing me to pay for a bloated, frustrating, and over priced service such as directv and having spent years giving money to a lame duck owner who lied to me made my decision very easy to not pay for the NFL experience any more. Some day, when the NFL catches up and offers me streaming packages tailored to what I want to watch, I would probably start paying for games again. Until then, they aren't getting a dime out of me.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, Foolio.... as a professional journalist, care to explain to us what the hell this sentence means?
The cartoonishly misguided claim came in response to comments regarding the NBA’s desire to get a pie of the gambling pie,
Might want to actually read your drivel before hitting the send button...

Now... you were saying something about someone else being an idiot???

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think those saying it's a multitude of reasons are as close as you can get. In my opinion, the silly rule changes and their bizarre interpretations from play to play can be blamed the most. I think the NFL and the media must of conspired to reduce the fallout of the kneeling protests. I mean they simply quit showing the National Anthem on TV. And when at a game live, you just don't notice it because most people have their eyes on the flag like you are supposed to at that moment. I feel pretty confident the NFL stands on much sturdier griund than the NBA does at any given moment.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey, Foolio.... as a professional journalist, care to explain to us what the hell this sentence means?

Might want to actually read your drivel before hitting the send button...

Now... you were saying something about someone else being an idiot???

Wasn't Foolio leading the charge when all that now pointless "protesting" was the cause of this alleged down fall of the NFL? Week after week he'd play the ratings card as basically proof the NFL suffered, and ignoring that people don't watch the way they used to until just recently.

Oh and listening on the radio home today, no one cared about this. They basically said Foolio being a smarmy lil opinion, and don't ever read his "insight".

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
How come these stories never seem to acknowledge that there are simply less people watching "traditional" television?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfls-ratings-woes-finally-hit-networks-ad-business-1516918712

The NFL’s Ratings Woes Finally Hit Networks’ Ad Business
Ad revenue dipped 1.2% as lower ratings more than offset higher prices
By Alexandra Bruell

Advertising revenue from in-game NFL programming declined 1.2% to $2.42 billion during the 2017 regular season, according to Standard Media Index, as the league feels the impact of declining viewership.

SMI’s figures include NFL advertising across NBC, CBS, FOX and ESPN, from Sept. 7 to Dec. 31.

The price of 30-second spots increased 1.2% from $499,000 to $505,000, according to SMI. At the same time, the delivery of “make goods” grew from 21% to 23% of the units due to lower ratings. Media companies typically give advertisers make goods, or extra commercial space, when they don’t hit their agreed-upon audience or ratings targets.

“For the first time since we have been tracking the market we saw a slight drop of in-game dollars,” said SMI Chief Executive James Fennessy in a statement. “Despite a fairly significant fall in ratings, CPM’s were strong and demand continued to be high.”

According to SMI, NFL ad revenue was up 9.6% in 2015, and 3% in 2016.

Viewership of NFL games was down 9.7% compared with the 2016 regular season, according to Nielsen. Industry insiders have chalked up the ratings woes to a range of possible factors, from off-the-field controversies and backlash to players’ protests during the national anthem to there being too much football on TV. Many believe cord-cutting has led to a structural and long-term downshift in viewing.

The NFL is still attractive real estate for advertisers. The cost of NFL commercial space increased about 6% to 7% this year in the “upfront” marketplace, the spring bazaar when the lion’s share of ad space is sold, according to media buyers.

But the early pricing didn’t translate into overall revenue growth by the end of the year. Much of the NFL’s inventory is bought in the so-called scatter market throughout the season. The NFL’s ability to deliver the audience it guaranteed in those early deals is also a key factor.

According to the latest SMI data, the NFL was hit by declines from the league’s top advertisers. Automotive and consumer electronics advertisers, which represent the biggest NFL spenders by category, both cut back in 2017. Autos were down 5.4% and consumer electronics were down 3%.

On the other hand, industries that make up less of the NFL’s total ad revenue increased their total ad spending in the season. Insurance was up 30%, alcoholic beverages 16% and quick-serve restaurants 6.4%.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How come these stories never seem to acknowledge that there are simply less people watching "traditional" television?

And that's the biggest reason behind the ratings dropping.