NFL Arrests and Lawsuits - 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cool your jets, my friend. She might be a domestic violence survivor. It is cyclical.

I can tell you from friends who prosecute DV cases, it is not abnormal for the woman to recant. The boyfriend or husband says he's sorry and tells her it won't happen again (of course, it will). She falls for it, she refuses to move the case forward, and the prosecutors are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Let the process shake out.

If she lied to the police there SHOULD be consequences. Now she's claiming the injuries didn't come from him. She should at least be hit with a fine or a weekend in jail for that shit.

If she didn't lie to the police and the situation unfolded as you describe (which happens too often I agree with you) there WILL be consequences. He will probably hit her again unless she leaves very soon. And it's possible she does leave soon, because he may have paid her off knowing that if the claim sticks and he is prosecuted it's going to cost him serious cheddar.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/02/report-arrest-warrant-issued-for-robby-anderson/

Arrest warrant issued for Robby Anderson
Posted by Charean Williams on May 2, 2018

630160390-e1516391490284.jpg

Getty Images

An arrest warrant was issued for Jets receiver Robby Anderson after he failed to appear in court, Andy Slater of slaterscoops.com reports.

Police in South Florida arrested Anderson in January after he ran two red lights while fleeing after they clocked him going 105 mph in a 45 mph speed zone. He originally faced a long list of charges, including harming a public servant and aggravated fleeing police.

But the felony charges were dismissed, leaving Anderson facing only misdemeanor reckless driving. He failed to show in court to address the charge, though, leaving him facing yet another arrest.

Anderson already is scheduled for trial in August for resisting arrest with violence and obstructing justice stemming from his arrest at a Miami music festival last year.

Anderson was the Jets’ leading receiver in 2017, catching 63 passes for 941 yards and seven touchdowns.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not an arrest or anything but didn't really want to make a new thread for just this lol. Plus, with the bad part of the offseason coming up it's probably worth bumping this thread up in anticipation.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-cornerback-dimitri-patterson-arrested-again/

Longtime NFL cornerback Dimitri Patterson arrested again
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 9, 2018

gettyimages-180072127-e1525861059139.jpg

Getty Images

Longtime NFL cornerback Dimitri Patterson has tried giving cops the slip before, but wasn’t successful this time.

According to Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald, Patterson was arrested this week after a felony warrant was issued for him in Miami last November. The charges from that warrant were for battery and culpable negligence.He was detained in Orlando.

The 34-year-old had a nine-year NFL career, appearing for six teams (Washington, the Chiefs, Eagles, Browns, Dolphins, and Jets). The Jets got rid of him after he failed to show up for a preseason game in 2014.

Last summer, Patterson injured two police officers while trying to escape from a courtroom.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ted-but-not-tried-for-sexual-assault-in-1996/

Report: Matt Patricia indicted but not tried for sexual assault in 1996
Posted by Mike Florio on May 9, 2018

ap_18059590183550-e1519989622918.jpg

Getty Images

The hiring of Lions coach Matt Patricia carries with it a surprising new caveat that, depending on the manner in which the dominoes fall, could threaten to end his tenure before it even really begins.

According to Robert Snell of the Detroit News, Patricia was indicted for sexual assault in 1996.

Both Patricia, then 21, and Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute teammate and fraternity brother Greg Dietrich, then 22, were charged by a grand jury with one count of aggravated sexual assault. They allegedly burst into the hotel room of a 21-year-old woman while on spring break at South Padre Island, Texas and “took turns violently sexual assaulting her.”

The case eventually was dismissed in January 1997, because the alleged victim did “not feel she can face the pressures or stress of a trial.”

One of the lawyers who represented Patricia at the time claims that the assault didn’t occur.

“In my opinion, it was a fabrication,” Jeff Wilson told Snell. “I’m telling you it was a ‘he said, she said.’ I don’t know what type of problems the girl was having; I don’t know why she made that allegation. We vehemently denied that he was doing anything wrong or did anything wrong.”

On one hand, that’s what a lawyer is supposed to say. On the other hand, false accusations do indeed happen.

But while the case was the subject of news reports and public records in the early days of the Internet, it appears that the Lions didn’t know about the allegations when hiring Patricia. According to Snell, team president Rod Wood initially said, “I don’t know anything about this.” Wood later provided a statement of support for Patricia and the manner in which he was hired.

“I am very comfortable with the process of interviewing and employing Matt,” Wood told Snell. “I will tell you with 1,000-percent certainty that everything I’ve learned confirmed what I already knew about the man and would have no way changed our decision to make him our head coach.”

That may be the case, but what if this allegation had emerged during the period of time between the firing of Jim Caldwell and the hiring of Patricia? Could the Lions (who seemed in hindsight to be destined to hire Patricia from the moment Bob Quinn became G.M.) have followed through with the hiring of Patricia if this story had emerged before he was announced as the head coach?

This isn’t a matter of legal guilt or innocence; it’s a matter of league and team P.R. in the era of the #MeToo movement. Ultimately, whether the Lions will be able to keep Patricia may depend in large part on the local and national reaction to the news.

The story could quickly go away, or it could snowball into a controversy that forces the Lions to make a change — even if, as a matter of basic contract law, the Lions most likely would be forced to pay Patricia every dollar of his four-year deal if they decide to fire him.

The Lions could decide to try to shut off Patricia’s right to a buyout, if they decide that they have no choice but to make a change. It’s possible, for example, that paperwork completed or other information submitted by Patricia when he got the job contemplated full disclosure of the indictment. If he failed to do so, that could be grounds for a so-called termination for cause.

Before it ever gets to that point, the Lions would have to conclude that it’s not practical to proceed with Patricia as the coach. And the league office, which has become ultra-sensitive to the public-relations consequences of allegations of violence against women, surely will take a position on what the Lions should do. That position definitely will be shaped by the extent to which it’s believed that the situation creates a P.R. problem for the league office.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/nfl-to-review-matt-patricia-situation/

NFL to review Matt Patricia situation
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2018

The Lions have issued a statement regarding the news that coach Matt Patricia had been indicted for aggravated sexual assault in 1996. The NFL now has, too.

“We will review the matter with the club to understand the allegations and what the club has learned,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said via email.

The situation doesn’t fall under the league’s Personal Conduct Policy because it happened years before Patricia became employed by an NFL team. But the league can’t simply say, “None of this matters.” Instead, the league has to show more than cursory curiosity, and the league has to use this incident as a way to better advise teams regarding the devices available to become aware of situations like this before an offer of employment is made.

The league also needs to monitor the potential P.R. fallout, grateful that it doesn’t involve a prominent team but also hopeful that it doesn’t morph into a matter of national mainstream news.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...erates-his-innocence-during-press-conference/

Matt Patricia reiterates his innocence during press conference
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2018

Lions coach Matt Patricia met with reporters on Thursday, as part of a previously-scheduled press conference. He opened by making a statement regarding the story that surfaced on Wednesday evening of an indictment from 1996 on a charge of aggravated sexual assault. After his statement ended, he took roughly 13 questions.

“I’m here to defend my honor and clear my name,” Patricia said, reading from a prepared text. “Twenty-two years ago I was falsely accused of something very serious, very serious allegations. There were claims made about me that never happened.

While I’m thankful on one level that the process worked and the case was dismissed, at the same time I was never given the opportunity to defend myself or to allow to push back with the truth to clear my name. This was something that was very traumatic to me when I was 21 years old, and once it was finally addressed, I tried to put it behind me.

“For those of you that are just getting to know me and those that have known me for a long time, you should know that I was raised the right way by two amazing parents who taught me to know the difference between right and wrong. To stand up for what’s right, and to stand up for those who’ve been wronged. I have two older sisters that taught me respect and love.

I’ve always tried to protect them, and keep them from harm. I am a husband and a father to a wonderful and amazing family. I try to share those values with them. I am so thankful to my wife and family for being supportive of me. I believe and have always acted with a respect for all people, knowing that everyone is someone’s dad, mom, sister, brother, son, or daughter.

“I do not condone any of the type of behavior that has been alleged, and I never have. I have always been someone who respects and protects the rights of anyone who has been harassed or has been the victim of violence, and we as an organization will continue to operate that way. In these times, we need to be even more sensitive and responsible in dealing with these issues and separate right from wrong. Thankfully, truth is on my side.

“I lived with the mental torture of a situation where facts can be completely ignored or misrepresented with disregard to the consequence and pain that it would create for another person. I find it unfair and upsetting that someone would bring up this claim over two decades later for the sole purpose of hurting my family, my friends, and this organization, with the intention of trying to damage my character and credibility. I was innocent then, and am innocent now.

“Let me be clear, my priorities remain the same. To move forward and strive to be the best teacher, coach, and man that I can possibly be.”

Patricia first was asked whether he thought the issue would never come up, especially in the wake of the #MeToo movement. He explained that he began interviewing for jobs not long after the incident was resolved, and that “it never was an issue.”

Next came the question of what happened on the night in question, which resulted in Patricia and a college football teammate/fraternity brother being accused of entering a woman’s hotel room and sexually assaulting her while on spring break.

“Again, I think what’s important here is what happened 22 years ago is what didn’t happen,” Patricia said. “As I said, I was innocent then, I am innocent now. I was falsely accused of something I did not do.”

He then was asked how the situation could have resulted in a grand jury indictment, if it was a false accusation.

“Again, I was accused of something I did not do,” Patricia said. “I went through the process, and the case was dismissed.”

Patricia thereafter avoided a question regarding whether he was in the woman’s hotel room, and whether consensual sex happened.

“Again, I did nothing wrong, and that’s all I’m going to say on that matter,” Patricia said.

He explained in response to the next question that he doesn’t regret not disclosing the incident to the Lions, because it never came up in any of his various job interviews, and he said that he never failed to be truthful with the Lions.

“My mission is to move forward and be the best coach I can be,” he said. “I am absolutely 100 percent the head coach of the Detroit Lions.”

Patricia exited while reporters were still asking questions, and the effort to “clear his name” ultimately did not include many (any) specifics. That said, his denial seemed heartfelt and genuine. The only lingering question is whether the alleged victim will decide, more than two decades after not telling her story in open court, to tell her story to the court of public opinion.

Unless and until she does, there’s no reason to give Patricia anything other than the benefit of the doubt, and to respect his ongoing presumption of innocence.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No NFL player was arrested but one was involved in an arrest.

Btw, is there really a place called Jackonsville Beach? :eek:
*************************************************************************************
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/blake-bortles-thwarts-house-party-criminal/

Blake Bortles thwarts house party criminal
Posted by Mike Foolio on May 10, 2018

902311948-e1515778784517.jpg

Getty Images

The name belonging to the Jaguars’ starting quarterback sounds like it comes from a Harry Potter novel. There’s a chance it’s actually the true identity of a crime-fighting superhero.

Blake Bortles, via multiple reports, thwarted a thief at a teammate’s house party on Wednesday night at Jackonsville Beach. The would-be criminal, 18-year-old Joseph Horton, reportedly rummaged through various vehicles belonging to people at the party, including Bortles’ Ford F-150 truck.

Horton took Bortles’ wallet — and would have taken the truck if it hadn’t been blocked in by other cars. So Horton then entered the house, and the invited guests realized that he shouldn’t have been there. So Bortles detained him and called police. Examination of surveillance video then revealed what Horton had been up to.

It’s unclear whether Bortles possesses any superpowers. Chris Simms would say that, if he does, they have nothing to do with throwing a football. Regardless, not all heroes wear two-tone helmets.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow.....

Matt Patricia....:shocking:

Why is this brought up if no charges are filed? Did the alleged victim finally speak?

Innocent until proven or guilty until proven.....what's going down????:dizzy:

Imagine if Patricia has kids:unsure:....maybe in Junior High:eek:....:headexplosion:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No NFL player was arrested but one was involved in an arrest.

Btw, is there really a place called Jackonsville Beach? :eek:
*************************************************************************************
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/blake-bortles-thwarts-house-party-criminal/

Blake Bortles thwarts house party criminal
Posted by Mike Foolio on May 10, 2018

902311948-e1515778784517.jpg

Getty Images

The name belonging to the Jaguars’ starting quarterback sounds like it comes from a Harry Potter novel. There’s a chance it’s actually the true identity of a crime-fighting superhero.

Blake Bortles, via multiple reports, thwarted a thief at a teammate’s house party on Wednesday night at Jackonsville Beach. The would-be criminal, 18-year-old Joseph Horton, reportedly rummaged through various vehicles belonging to people at the party, including Bortles’ Ford F-150 truck.

Horton took Bortles’ wallet — and would have taken the truck if it hadn’t been blocked in by other cars. So Horton then entered the house, and the invited guests realized that he shouldn’t have been there. So Bortles detained him and called police. Examination of surveillance video then revealed what Horton had been up to.

It’s unclear whether Bortles possesses any superpowers. Chris Simms would say that, if he does, they have nothing to do with throwing a football. Regardless, not all heroes wear two-tone helmets.
The dumbass Bortles left his keys and wallet in his truck outside a party. I almost posted this in the dumbass of the day thread. There were two dumbasses involved. The perp that tried to steal apparently the only car totally boxed in by other cars and Bortles for the obvious.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow.....

Matt Patricia....:shocking:

Why is this brought up if no charges are filed? Did the alleged victim finally speak?

Innocent until proven or guilty until proven.....what's going down????:dizzy:

Imagine if Patricia has kids:unsure:....maybe in Junior High:eek:....:headexplosion:
Um... MIKE FLORIO. Need I say more? If he did it I have no simpathy but for that douche to bring it up and start this crap with no proof regarding a case that was dismissed over two decades ago is....welp... Mike fucking Florio.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently Cardinals' Christian Kirk was arrested in Feb for throwing rocks at cars in a parking lot.. How freakin stupid LOL. Something tells me that wasn't his last arrest.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/eli-manning-settles-memorabilia-fraud-suit/

Eli Manning settles memorabilia fraud suit
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 14, 2018

gettyimages-898178090-e1521393902783.jpg

Getty Images

Eli Manning will no longer have a potentially serious legal issue hanging over his head.

Manning has settled the memorabilia fraud lawsuit that had been scheduled to begin today, a league source tells PFT.

At the last minute the trial did not start today because of a death in the family of one of the attorneys, but now there will be no trial, as Manning and the plaintiffs have agreed to a settlement.

Manning was accused of fraudulently passing off memorabilia as game-worn even though he hadn’t worn it in a game. At the center of the dispute were messages from Manning to a team equipment manager asking for helmets “that can pass as game used.”

The plaintiffs said they were duped by Manning into paying for “game-used” items that weren’t actually used in games. Now that issue will not go before a jury, and Manning has put it behind him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...mansion-suing-jay-ajayi-for-25000-in-damages/

Owner of L.A. mansion suing Jay Ajayi for $25,000 in damages
Posted by Charean Williams on May 14, 2018

gettyimages-914349800-e1526342111228.jpg

Getty Images

The owner of a 6,000-square-foot home in Los Angeles is suing Eagles running back Jay Ajayi for $25,000 in damages, TMZ Sports reports.

Ajayi and a friend stayed at the mansion for five days after the Super Bowl in February, throwing at least three parties, according to TMZ. The owner specifically banned parties at the house, and charged $5,000 for each party, though Ajayi has yet to pay the charges.

The owner claims Ajayi broke a table, scratched floors and violated the no smoking policy during Ajayi’s stay.

He also accuses Ajayi of pushing him in the chest “in a menacing and threatening manner” when the owner confronted the running back February 18. The owner said local security was called to remove Ajayi from the property.

TMZ said neither Ajayi nor his representation has responded to a request for comment.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
$25,000 for scratching the floor?
I’m with Ajayi.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$25,000 for scratching the floor?
I’m with Ajayi.

Broke a table. Plus an intensive process to clean smoke out of everything, so it can be rented as a non-smoking place for a premium. A few days unavailable for renting, because of cleaning and repairs.

Contract apparently banned parties. He threw 3. He's going down, deservedly so, if the owner is telling the truth. Probably be banned from airbnb too.