New Ram Ramsey fully participates in Thursday’s practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooks will cost you an additional $5M cap hit if traded this offseason. That might be tough unless you just want to rip off the band-aid because you get a decent offer and you want the picks.

Then the question is does his contract hurt his trade value, or the fact that his prorated signing bonus will not be paid by the acquiring team nake him more attractive?
But he also clears up room I understand the cap hit for the guaranteed money and his buy in option. But he frees up cap that will be needed. I like him but a lot of players I like could be cap casualties, the price of trading for Ramsey.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Agree, I just think Ruggs is a perfect and better replacement for Cooks, but there are a couple others who could be as well. Just think Ruggs will be special and I want him to be a Ram lol.

I like Ruggs as well, but I'd prefer someone with more size, which is what we've lacked. Antonio Gandy-Golden or Laviska Shenault are two of whom I'm looking at. That Jefferson kid from LSU is also intriguing.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He's also played himself the last couple years into a sizable contract. I'm not saying I don't want to sign him i'm saying there might not be money for him.
They will make room, he is our best LB. We dont have anyone behind him to replace him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think DL/G will come in FA, so we'll get one of the two in the draft. And agree Ruggs might make his way into the 1st but am hoping Jeudy and Smith steal enough reps that he falls.

Snead's an Auburn guy, so i'm liking DE/DT Nick Coe in the 2'nd round.

McVay was OC for Washington when Brandon Scherff was drafted # 5 overall, now he's available as a free agent. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All noted.
However. They have had a year to prepare. I'm not saying they should be great players by now.
I'm saying they have been playing far below acceptable. Even for rookies with no experience at this level. They both have had the luxury of 1 full year with Kromer.

There is still hope for both, though. I'm not ready to get rid of them by any means. This doesn't mean that their play hasn't been frustrating
Preparing isn't playing. They didn't even have preseason games to play we're realistically 2 games into their first season as starters.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Got it, throw the baby out with the bath water because if you can't play to your desired level after 6 starts you're a bust.

I think Allen is a keeper, but Noteboom I really don't think is a guard. Let him come back and go back to tackle because honestly he was horrendous before injury. But Edwards needs to see live reps to see what he has.

The bigger issue is next year because many of us thought RG needed to be upgraded. Blythe was constantly man-handled late last year and into the playoffs. We chose not to upgrade there. And we will lose Whitworth likely this offseason which means what, Noteboom comes back as LT? We will have multiple holes on our line that still need to be addressed.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like Ruggs as well, but I'd prefer someone with more size, which is what we've lacked. Antonio Gandy-Golden or Laviska Shenault are two of whom I'm looking at. That Jefferson kid from LSU is also intriguing.
They are bigger yes, but Ruggs is at least 6'0 so hes not a small fry like cooks. We need the speedy reciever in this offense to stretch the field, ill be happy with any of those guys you mentioned, just have a preference.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Although, 5 years without a 1st round pick..................

But they have hit with later picks UDFAs pretty well, Kupp, Johnson, Reynolds, Rapp, Littleton, Everett, etc...

They could use a blue chip DL and OL though. So with their #2 and a pair of #3's, they go get a few more guys there.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Snead's an Auburn guy, so i'm liking DE/DT Nick Coe in the 2'nd round.

McVay was OC for Washington when Brandon Scherff was drafted # 5 overall, now he's available as a free agent. jmo.
I'd take Scherff in a heart beat. And Coe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Notebloom is playing out of position. Allen and Demby were 4th and 6th round picks.

Quenton Nelson says hello.

Wishful thinking. Allen and Noteboom haven’t even shown a modicum of potential. They look like career backups.

Got it, throw the baby out with the bath water because if you can't play to your desired level after 6 starts you're a bust.

If I saw anything in their play that made me think there was hope I’d agree with you, but they have steadily gotten worse. It’s not like they practice against a high school DLine either. They have healthy competition in camp. But they both look bad, especially Allen.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They will make room, he is our best LB. We dont have anyone behind him to replace him.
We've drafted a guy just like him, who granted all need to develop, for years. There are guys who can take his role if they step forward. And I think you might not be aware of our cap situation going forward or underestimating what he'll get paid. Right now with 41 players signed and counting on Ramsey's 5th year option of $13 million we have 22 million in cap space with draft picks accounted for we have 49 players I think we're down to 8 picks now. Is Noteboom going to be ready for next year or will Edwards or Evans step up for that position? A LT will cost some of that if not. Cap is tight going forward.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Obviously building through the draft is better..my point is our recent OL picks have not seemed to hit. We brought in Whitworth and Sullivan & Blythe from the outside, 60% replaced when McVay came in. Noteboom and Allen we're specifically drafted and groomed for this year and both fell on their face. So I'm not confident in our ability to evaluate OL talent in the draft.

Did Snead draft Jason Smith and Greg Robinson? I'm down to trade for o-linemen if we need to.
I dont think we have the cap space to trade for good lineman or sign them in FA.

jacktheripper85

Starter
They have a #2 and two #3s next year.

Could still package a 2 & 3 and get a 1 or a 2 & 4 for an earlier 2 to get a top OL or DL.

They have options.

They still might trade off an asset or two to get picks.

Knowing Snead and the money we have tied up with certain players I think chances are we do more trading down than trading up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
But he also clears up room I understand the cap hit for the guaranteed money and his buy in option. But he frees up cap that will be needed. I like him but a lot of players I like could be cap casualties, the price of trading for Ramsey.
I don't think that happens until 2021 according to Overthecap.com

Overthecap link

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cooks contract has a potential out: 2021, 3 yr, $50,.5; $13 mil. dead cap.

Gurley has a potential out: 2022, 4 yr, $49 mil; $4.2 mil. dead cap.

Havenstein contract permits the Rams to cut him after 2020 with only a $1.5 in dead cap.

Weddle contract has almost no dead cap after this season.

Matthews contract has potential out: 2020, 1 yr, $3.5 mil; $2.mil. dead cap.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They are bigger yes, but Ruggs is at least 6'0 so hes not a small fry like cooks. We need the speedy reciever in this offense to stretch the field, ill be happy with any of those guys you mentioned, just have a preference.

Yeah, Ruggs isn't a small fry, but I still want more dimensions to the offense. My favorite right now is Gandy-Golden. From a small school in Liberty, but he's 6'4", 220 lbs. with 4.4 speed, and he's produced against bigger schools.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Ruggs. His speed gives an amazing dimension to any offense.

Right now, however, I'm concerned mostly about the lines. Offensive line has its worries documented, but the defensive line is basically AD and nothing much of note. That's why I want Jordan Elliott; he absolutely dominated Ole Miss.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Allen is a keeper, but Noteboom I really don't think is a guard. Let him come back and go back to tackle because honestly he was horrendous before injury. But Edwards needs to see live reps to see what he has.

The bigger issue is next year because many of us thought RG needed to be upgraded. Blythe was constantly man-handled late last year and into the playoffs. We chose not to upgrade there. And we will lose Whitworth likely this offseason which means what, Noteboom comes back as LT? We will have multiple holes on our line that still need to be addressed.
He's not a guard he's a tackle and we all know that McVay and Kromer think he's the LT of the future he's playing out of position because he's the best option we have, or was until he got hurt. Corbett will slide into one guard position and we're relying on Noteboom next year at LT if he comes back healthy if not it's up to Edwards or Evans or a draft pick and our first pick next year is #61 atm sure to move up a bit the way we've played.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love Ramsey, but wtf is going to block for our QB?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, Ruggs isn't a small fry, but I still want more dimensions to the offense. My favorite right now is Gandy-Golden. From a small school in Liberty, but he's 6'4", 220 lbs. with 4.4 speed, and he's produced against bigger schools.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Ruggs. His speed gives an amazing dimension to any offense.

Right now, however, I'm concerned mostly about the lines. Offensive line has its worries documented, but the defensive line is basically AD and nothing much of note. That's why I want Jordan Elliott; he absolutely dominated Ole Miss.
Both lines worry me too, dont get me wrong, but our defense has been doing enough if our offense does what it needs. o-line is our biggest need and i think FA will solve most of that. Gandy-Golden would be fine with me, height and speed and a beast.