New Left Tackle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who is hating? I like Boom & Company, just acknowledging reality that without a stout healthy Oline that is constantly refreshed, you will be wasting skill players. QB's and RB's, especially. You can't have a solid team that consistently wins without them. Therefore, keep drafting

Keep drafting - The Rams do & just have put together an excellent young group of offensive lineman.

All good,just saying I believe this group of players are being underrated.

At what point do you bench Noteboom? I look at the depth & also think about Whitworth trying to get back & play. I know a lot of people wanted The Rams to draft a LT with there first pick.

I’m just looking at the core group & still have a hard time thinking about who will get cut next season because of all The Depth.

Will see the direction The Rams go,but I’d rather Draft a Lineman than just try to talk about picking up every teams released players.

Loyal your right as far as keep drafting players. The Rams find amazing talent within all kinds of drafts. Brewer was a UDRFA find that I think is just sitting out to bring more value to him & The Rams organization all while staying safe.

I like this Lewis kid & Jefferson. Can Akers & Hopkins as well. The Rams are not wasting talent,they keep adding talent & depth.

The Como picks & trying to keep certain players will not be easy this offseason as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

To think The Rams don’t think outside the box that way would be crazy.

Kolone & Demby have all been given a chance at center during an offseason.
I don’t know what any of it looks like right now though.
I’m not a Brian Allen fan,but still keep an eye on him. IMO he is on a short lease. The Rams don’t give much info. Allen might have been hurt during practice?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep drafting - The Rams do & just have put together an excellent young group of offensive lineman.

All good,just saying I believe this group of players are being underrated.

At what point do you bench Noteboom? I look at the depth & also think about Whitworth trying to get back & play. I know a lot of people wanted The Rams to draft a LT with there first pick.

I’m just looking at the core group & still have a hard time thinking about who will get cut next season because of all The Depth.

Will see the direction The Rams go,but I’d rather Draft a Lineman than just try to talk about picking up every teams released players.

Loyal your right as far as keep drafting players. The Rams find amazing talent within all kinds of drafts. Brewer was a UDRFA find that I think is just sitting out to bring more value to him & The Rams organization all while staying safe.

I like this Lewis kid & Jefferson. Can Akers & Hopkins as well. The Rams are not wasting talent,they keep adding talent & depth.

The Como picks & trying to keep certain players will not be easy this offseason as well.
I really like Joe Noteboom. I think he is better than solid in pass protection and I question whether we should instantly replace him with Whit when Whit is healthy. If Boom gets even a little bit better, Whitworth should retire.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like Joe Noteboom. I think he is better than solid in pass protection and I question whether we should instantly replace him with Whit when Whit is healthy. If Boom gets even a little bit better, Whitworth should retire.
You need to be sure, train!

@nighttrain

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You still thinking about moving the Rams best overall performing OL'er according to PFF away from RG is a good ideal? Corbett 78.2 grade last Sunday.

I am sure the Rams will resign center ERFA Coleman Shelton back for 2021. By the end of the season, Shelton will have been the backup OC for 2 straight seasons. So he & Goff have had a heavy dose of reps. Rams salary cap can easily afford that cheap ERFA contract. CS will be entering his 4th training camp in the NFL that should mean something it just takes longer to get these college OL'er up to the strength & power needed against the NFL powerful NT's. CS had "OL 101 technique" down fully to have started @ every OL position @ Washington. When you read all the draft sites the major flaw (it was a big one) as he was weak without power. After 3 seasons in the NFL training weight facilities, CS should be up to par by now.

Plus there's former starting center Brian Allen who is thought of here @ ROD as lower than a pile of :poop:..... will enter his 4th season as a Ram & with Kromer as his OL coach. Kromer has kept this OC on the active roster all season. It's my understanding that BA finally was able to participate in a full, not limited practice this week so his badly damaged knee must be finally responding & healing. If BA were to start this week he would not have OG's Jamil Demby, an injured Austin Blythe, or an OT playing OG Joe Noteboom starting next to him as he had in 2019. BA would have Corbett & Edwards now. BA just might be a polished diamond going into his 4th season as a OC.

I would not forget OC Jeremiah Kolone who Kromer has kept around on the edges since before TC of 2018 Kolone will be entering his 4th season as a Ram under Kromer's tutelage.

I certainly have no issues with the Rams drafting a OC in this upcoming draft but I would not remove Corbett.

Rams PFF grades from Week 13: Troy Hill leads the way with career-best game (yahoo.com)

I honestly don't fully trust PFF. Corbett is good, but I want to put Evans in as well, and Blythe is likely gone I want to put Evans in; he's deserved the chance to start.

Maybe if you traded Haventstein, Evans could get a chance to start at right tackle, but there's Noteboom to consider. If Whitworth doesn't retire, you obviously keep him, which leaves Noteboom and Evans to fight it out for a right tackle spot...unless Corbett moves to center.

And then there's other linemen to consider (not Allen; I trust Allen as much as I can throw him, and I cannot even lift him high enough to throw) in Anchrum and Brewer (if Brewer comes back) Shelton looks like a solid backup. I don't think Kolome will amount to much of anything.

Personally, I'd rather get the best linemen on the field - and leaving Evans and Noteboom out of the starting jobs, when they've shown they can do it is something I'd at least like to look into.

spamlord

Rookie
I honestly don't fully trust PFF. Corbett is good, but I want to put Evans in as well, and Blythe is likely gone I want to put Evans in; he's deserved the chance to start.

Maybe if you traded Haventstein, Evans could get a chance to start at right tackle, but there's Noteboom to consider. If Whitworth doesn't retire, you obviously keep him, which leaves Noteboom and Evans to fight it out for a right tackle spot...unless Corbett moves to center.

And then there's other linemen to consider (not Allen; I trust Allen as much as I can throw him, and I cannot even lift him high enough to throw) in Anchrum and Brewer (if Brewer comes back) Shelton looks like a solid backup. I don't think Kolome will amount to much of anything.

Personally, I'd rather get the best linemen on the field - and leaving Evans and Noteboom out of the starting jobs, when they've shown they can do it is something I'd at least like to look into.

I thought this was a good read about PFF, our defense, and 'data analysis' https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2020/11/19/21574705/dvoa-rankings-rams-defense

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
This really seems like a situation where @Dz1 is either only half-reading what you respond with or simply isn't understanding your responses.
I find it hard that PFF, gets all that data for NFL teams and doesn't use any of it for grading.

Now it's not uncommon for big time debates on PFF half the NFL agrees with it the other half says it's B.S..

And like what's been posted, No to the LT, well unless Note totally fails.

Gotta keep as much cap as we can. imho

oldnotdead

Legend
I have never heard of a team putting much stock in what PFF says. In fact I've heard from multiple coaches that PFF is a joke. Their metrics were created for Soccer, not the NFL.

The difference between Noteboom and Whitworth is simply experience. Joe is still developing, while there have been real indications that Whitworth's age is showing. In many ways he's the o-line equivalent of Brady. Tom can still play but there is no doubt he isn't what he was in his prime. The same can be said for Whitworth who still can play at a high level but there is no doubt he struggles at times where he never has.

Sorry, but I will take the young man who is in ascendence over the aging vet. Better the replace him a year early rather than a year late. Also, look at their contracts. Next year is Noteboom's contract year. Do you really want to give him an incentive to go elsewhere by demoting him this year and next? That would be completely foolish as he would be snapped up immediately as a FA in 2022.

The Rams drafted him as Whitworth's replacement. Joe is playing well so that time has come IMO.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Anything we can do to upgrade the OL we should IMO.

Noteboom is our worst graded OL and has allowed 2 sacks already in last 2 starts.

View attachment 41595

View attachment 41596

For reference our other OL- PFF grades:

Hav 80.7
Corbett 69.7
Blythe 71.7
Edwards 71.5
Whitworth 88.7
I honestly don't think a washed up Donald Penn would play any better off the street than Noteboom is playing. Give the guy some time. He was improved against Arizona I thought.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your most likely right that Allen would be used if there was a need. Your are 100 % correct that if OL'er Brian Allen was moved from the master roster to the practice squad he would be on another team within minutes & the Rams would be without a good 9th OL'er.

My point was this was the first week of this 2020 season that OL'er Brian Allen was no longer limited in team practice. There were days when Allen would swing back between being on Rams posted injury list as DNP or Limited.

So this week was a big change in reporting on Brian Allen's knee. He is a full go without any limitations in practice. You will find this interesting too.......I also just read late this afternoon that Rams practice squad Center Jeremiah Kolone was released. Leaving that certain unpopular OT (Jamil Demby) as the only OL'er on the Rams PS.

NFL Practice Squad Updates: 12/8/20 (profootballrumors.com)

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well there is going to be some growing pains.The Rams are set up
well.I was really hoping Big Whit would stay healthy & Boom would get signed long term on the Cheap.

Right now I’m just going to enjoy the ride.The Rams future looks bright.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Each NFL Team's Player Whose Best Days Are Behind Him
KRISTOPHER KNOX
Los Angeles Rams: OT Andrew Whitworth
Each NFL Team's Player Whose Best Days Are Behind Him | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
9d00010886cd1d6144b9819cd60b2480_crop_exact.jpg

We have to be fair to Los Angeles Rams offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. The soon-to-be 39-year-old was quite effective as the Rams' left tackle before suffering a serious knee injury in Week 10. Through 600 snaps, he was responsible for five penalties and no sacks, according to Pro Football Focus.

Whitworth could return for the postseason, and he may be an effective starter if and when he does. However, the longtime Bengals and Rams stalwart is still nearing the end of his playing career. Should he return in 2021, he'll turn 40 before the end of that season.

It's been three years since Whitworth made his last Pro Bowl appearance—he made his fourth career Pro Bowl in 2017—and a combination of age and the knee injury could cause him to consider retirement following the postseason, though Whitworth does plan to try making it back for a run.

"Now I get an opportunity to lead in a different way while also rehabbing myself back ready to ride with my teammates!" Whitworth said on Instagram after the injury.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Whitworth's longevity and freakish abilities at this age will not allow me to count him out on anything.
Whit had no sacks in 10 weeks and Folks want to write him off lol.

Jmho he might show up against the Jets, maybe they rest him ,but against the Hags, he'll be there.

Btw agree with your post big time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whitworth's longevity and freakish abilities at this age will not allow me to count him out on anything.
It should be obvious by now that Andrew Whitworth loves the lA area & the team. He is the team's most senior player by a fair margin. Once the team enters the playoffs I expect AW to be activated & work back in slow with Noteboom@ LT. Unless some unseen event comes into play here ...Whitworth & Noteboom should be our starting duo @ LT in 2021. AW can greatly assist Noteboom in improving his run blocking from the outside LT area.

Not sure who will emerge as the 2021 emergency LT either Bobby Evans or Tremayne Anchrum unless one of them are able to kick out one of the other Rams current starters. The under 6-2 316 Anchrum might end up joining the starting OC vacancy competition with Brian Allen & Coleman Shelton.

The value of having an OL'er like Andrew Whitworth available going into this postseason PRICELESS!

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Each NFL Team's Player Whose Best Days Are Behind Him
KRISTOPHER KNOX
Los Angeles Rams: OT Andrew Whitworth
Each NFL Team's Player Whose Best Days Are Behind Him | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
9d00010886cd1d6144b9819cd60b2480_crop_exact.jpg

We have to be fair to Los Angeles Rams offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. The soon-to-be 39-year-old was quite effective as the Rams' left tackle before suffering a serious knee injury in Week 10. Through 600 snaps, he was responsible for five penalties and no sacks, according to Pro Football Focus.

Whitworth could return for the postseason, and he may be an effective starter if and when he does. However, the longtime Bengals and Rams stalwart is still nearing the end of his playing career. Should he return in 2021, he'll turn 40 before the end of that season.

It's been three years since Whitworth made his last Pro Bowl appearance—he made his fourth career Pro Bowl in 2017—and a combination of age and the knee injury could cause him to consider retirement following the postseason, though Whitworth does plan to try making it back for a run.

"Now I get an opportunity to lead in a different way while also rehabbing myself back ready to ride with my teammates!" Whitworth said on Instagram after the injury.

This dude will have to sing a different tune if Whit comes back and the Rams go to the Super Bowl.