New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Just started thinking about what Spanos could do to turn things around against SK. He can't and won't stop SK from moving to LA, but he can do some things to screw things majorly for SK.

First thing I'd do is drop the fiasco that is the Raider partnership/Carson project. Approach the city of LA directly and garner favor with Mayor Garcetti and the city council. Inglewood's nice, but city of LA houses the big boys, politicians that eye the governship/White House.

Approach AEG about rekindling the idea of the downtown football stadium. As much as AEG was probably butt hurt the last time Spanos left them high and dry, there's a lot of money still to be made and Spanos could bring them back to the table by offering to sell a large % of the team ownership to AEG.

All of a sudden, Spanos not only makes Inglewood seem quite a distance away just like Anaheim once did, but more importantly, he is now part owner of the fastest growing, most vibrant parts of the city, which is the heart of downtown LA.

You want to steal the Rams corporate clients? Downtown LA houses corporate clientele the likes of which even the New York teams would be jealous. Many of the largest companies which may not be headquartered in LA have giant offices in downtown LA, including: accounting firms (Deloitte, Ernst & Young, PWC, KPMG), law firms (Gibson Dunn, O'Melveny & Myers, Latham & Watkins, Lewis Brisbois), all the largest banks domestic and international, and some of the largest companies in the world north of downtown (Warner Bros, Disney, Nestle USA, etc. etc.).

6,000 seat theater in Inglewood sounds nice, but now you'd have access to the Microsoft Theater, Staple Center, and the most exciting and vibrant restaurant and club scene in the whole world. Not sure why I'm thinking of these things, but if I were Spanos, that's what I'd be doing.

Mayor Garcetti is a Rams fan so that might be a tough sell.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
"The benefits of a new NFL stadium in downtown St. Louis are clear, not only to our metropolitan region but the entire state of Missouri as well. That was underlined today by the approval for $50 million in tax credits by the Missouri Development Finance Board. We appreciate the board's support as we continue to make meaningful and measurable progress toward keeping the St. Louis Rams here in St. Louis."

-Dave Peacock

http://lockerdome.com/7475583080735553/7953549825022481

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Except that Inglewood makes more money. Either way two teams end up in LA, and the third likely gets something new either in their market or another.

Its not about sympathy, I think you're underestimating the situation. You're essentially saying that fanbases eventually don't care if they move to rival cities. I don't think the majority of Chargers fans would just get over losing the team to LA, just like I don't think the majority of Cardinals fans would get over losing the team to Chicago.

Its not a simple drive down the street, its a two day thing. People need to get hotel rooms, spend gas money, sit in traffic all day. Its not fun and most fans are not going to do that, especially for a team in a rival city.

We got over losing the Cardinals. Yes I'm essentially saying that eventually people get over it and remain a fan. Because they would still be somewhat accessible. And the Chargers already make the argument that 20% of their season tickets are from LA. So apparently going to a game can be done. You're essentially saying that removing 99% of the Rams fan base ability to participate in their team and the NFL experience is far less important than a Charger fans ability to go 120 miles. I do not think a large amount of owners will think sacrificing a chunk of two states worth of fans to put two teams within that close a distance will be worth it in the unlikely event it comes to a vote. Think about it. You're talking about traffic and gas money for Chargers fans. It's 1800 miles for Rams fans. It's not like we're sitting passively by like Oakland. I think that will count for something as well.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
What if the deal was this:

The Chargers go to LA, Rams stay in St Louis and then they swap names and uniforms.

The St Louis Chargers, with Jeff Fisher as HC, Chris Long and co...

The LA Rams with Philip Rivers at QB....

Would LA fans be satisfied?
Would St Louis fans?

I'm only curious btw.

Long term IMO yes. If there's a team there they eventually would be satisfied.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does not say if he was asked a question or even remotely even hint at it being in response to a question. Sounds more like a statement
He was asked while leaving an owners meeting in I believe AZ.

bluecoconuts

Legend
We got over losing the Cardinals. Yes I'm essentially saying that eventually people get over it and remain a fan. Because they would still be somewhat accessible. And the Chargers already make the argument that 20% of their season tickets are from LA. So apparently going to a game can be done. You're essentially saying that removing 99% of the Rams fan base ability to participate in their team and the NFL experience is far less important than a Charger fans ability to go 120 miles. I do not think a large amount of owners will think sacrificing a chunk of two states worth of fans to put two teams within that close a distance will be worth it in the unlikely event it comes to a vote. Think about it. You're talking about traffic and gas money for Chargers fans. It's 1800 miles for Rams fans. It's not like we're sitting passively by like Oakland. I think that will count for something as well.

I'm talking about losing the MLB Cardinals, I wouldn't expect the people of St Louis to get over losing them and continue rooting for them if they moved to a rival city, just as I don't expect San Diego fans to do it either.

Distance means squat, it's all about names. Look at New York and New Jersey, it is literally a 25 minute subway ride between Madison Square Garden, where the NY Rangers play, and the Prudential Center, where the NJ Devils play. It's quicker to go there than to go to Metlife Stadium, but even during the NHL Finals when NJ was playing LA you could hear "Rangers suck" chants in the crowd.

You move the Rangers to the Prudential Center and call them the New Jersey Rangers, you might as well have moved them to Mars. They're no longer New York's team. Why do they call them the NY Jets/Giants even though they play in New Jersey? Because it's about the name, it's not the New YORK Jets/Giants, they're New Jersey's team.

Why did they rename the Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Because without "Los Angeles" LA residents didn't care, they were a rival team, not an LA team.

Moving the Chargers to LA and calling them to LA Chargers? They're a rival cities team, not your own team.

I'm not saying that the traffic and money is going to be the big reason why most San Diego fans don't follow the Chargers to LA, I'm saying that the name is what will lose most fans. Yes traffic and money/distance will factor into things because it's not just an easy drive, but it's mostly the name. I don't expect most St Louis fans to follow the Rams to LA, especially since the Blues and Kings/Cardinals and Dodgers have developed a rivalry lately. You saying that Chargers fans should just get over it and root for them in LA is no different from anyone saying that fans from St Louis should just get over it and root for them in LA too. They'll be on TV, that's how most fans watch them anyway, so it's not that big of a deal right? Except no, it's no longer St Louis' team, it's LA's team. There's the rub.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty sure he was asked, because he also talked about how Jerry Jones was just worked up over the playoff loss to the Packers, didn't he?
I think they figured out the timing didn't match with the playoff loss.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think they figured out the timing didn't match with the playoff loss.

Yeah he made the comment before the loss, they tried to use it as an excuse. I still think that Rooney essentially had to make that comment, regardless of if it is true or not.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
'm talking about losing the MLB Cardinals, I wouldn't expect the people of St Louis to get over losing them and continue rooting for them if they moved to a rival city, just as I don't expect San Diego fans to do it either.

Distance means squat, it's all about names. Look at New York and New Jersey, it is literally a 25 minute subway ride between Madison Square Garden, where the NY Rangers play, and the Prudential Center, where the NJ Devils play. It's quicker to go there than to go to Metlife Stadium, but even during the NHL Finals when NJ was playing LA you could hear "Rangers suck" chants in the crowd.

You move the Rangers to the Prudential Center and call them the New Jersey Rangers, you might as well have moved them to Mars. They're no longer New York's team. Why do they call them the NY Jets/Giants even though they play in New Jersey? Because it's about the name, it's not the New YORK Jets/Giants, they're New Jersey's team.

Why did they rename the Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Because without "Los Angeles" LA residents didn't care, they were a rival team, not an LA team.

None of this has anything to do with what's actually happening in the NFL right now.

You saying that Chargers fans should just get over it and root for them in LA is no different from anyone saying that fans from St Louis should just get over it and root for them in LA too. They'll be on TV, that's how most fans watch them anyway, so it's not that big of a deal right? Except no, it's no longer St Louis' team, it's LA's team. There's the rub.

I'm actually saying the NFL owners want the most markets served. Short term everyone is going to be upset. The rub is actually how you retain the most fans in the short term and grow the most in the long term. I don't believe people will forever forsake football if there's a team within a reasonable distance. So yes I do think after 10 years you'd see plenty of LA Charger fans in SC. The same with the scenario where the Raiders come here. Fans will adjust.

bluecoconuts

Legend
None of this has anything to do with what's actually happening in the NFL right now.

I'm actually saying the NFL owners want the most markets served. Short term everyone is going to be upset. The rub is actually how you retain the most fans in the short term and grow the most in the long term. I don't believe people will forever forsake football if there's a team within a reasonable distance. So yes I do think after 10 years you'd see plenty of LA Charger fans in SC. The same with the scenario where the Raiders come here. Fans will adjust.

By that logic the NFL can leave St Louis empty because the fans will adjust and root for close teams. Kansas City, Indy, Tennessee, Chicago etc.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By that logic the NFL can leave St Louis empty because the fans will adjust and root for close teams. Kansas City, Indy, Tennessee, Chicago etc.

That's what the NFL did when it allowed the Rams and Raiders to leave LA.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm actually saying the NFL owners want the most markets served.

One thing is clear from the comments coming out of the last owners meeting. The first priority is putting a team or teams in LA that can make it a success for the NFL. Everything else is secondary.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

If you can find one 113 miles away, sure. But you can't. At the end of the day St Louis would be the only market that would not be able to connect on gameday live in person with an NFL team. You brush that off as unimportant compared to SC fans needs, but I'm not so sure a majority of the owner's will agree that leaving markets bare is a good thing.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
If you can find one 113 miles away, sure. But you can't. At the end of the day St Louis would be the only market that would not be able to connect on gameday live in person with an NFL team. You brush that off as unimportant compared to SC fans needs, but I'm not so sure a majority of the owner's will agree that leaving markets bare is a good thing.

What makes 113 the magic number?

I mean if its okay for an overnight stay for the Chargers, why not for the Rams?

If its all about keeping markets and making the most money, then the best move is send the Rams to LA, with the superior stadium, give San Diego until Inglewood is finished to come up with a plan to keep the Chargers, and move the Raiders to St Louis, since the 49ers remain in the Bay Area market. That way they don't lose a market until 2018, unless San Diego comes up with a plan that keeps the Chargers.

If its about pure numbers, that's the safest bet, and makes the most.

Moving the Chargers or the Rams does the same thing, leaves a market bare. The Raiders are the only one who have a team already in their market.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
What makes 113 the magic number?

I mean if its okay for an overnight stay for the Chargers, why not for the Rams?

If its all about keeping markets and making the most money, then the best move is send the Rams to LA, with the superior stadium, give San Diego until Inglewood is finished to come up with a plan to keep the Chargers, and move the Raiders to St Louis, since the 49ers remain in the Bay Area market. That way they don't lose a market until 2018, unless San Diego comes up with a plan that keeps the Chargers.

If its about pure numbers, that's the safest bet, and makes the most.

Moving the Chargers or the Rams does the same thing, leaves a market bare. The Raiders are the only one who have a team already in their market.

Because 113 isn't 1800.

As for the rest I agree. The absolute best plan money wise is for the Raiders to move here, Inglewood to he built and SD stay put. That's a long shot though, but it makes the most logical sense. I've said multiple times in this thread variations of that same thing, about how we'd get over it if we had a team to root for.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Because 113 isn't 1800.

As for the rest I agree. The absolute best plan money wise is for the Raiders to move here, Inglewood to he built and SD stay put. That's a long shot though, but it makes the most logical sense. I've said multiple times in this thread variations of that same thing, about how we'd get over it if we had a team to root for.

So where is the line then? If 113 is okay and 1800 isn't, what point does it become not okay? Why is it that some fans are okay with traveling across the US to go to a game (Stu is an example of that, flying from Washington to Florida) and some aren't okay with a few hour drive? That's the problem with going off of just distances, people have different limits. That's why professional sports leagues don't go off of distance (the East coast is proof of that) and go off of markets instead.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So where is the line then? If 113 is okay and 1800 isn't, what point does it become not okay? Why is it that some fans are okay with traveling across the US to go to a game (Stu is an example of that, flying from Washington to Florida) and some aren't okay with a few hour drive? That's the problem with going off of just distances, people have different limits. That's why professional sports leagues don't go off of distance (the East coast is proof of that) and go off of markets instead.

Why don't we save each other some time and agree to disagree on the importance of distance and the opinion of the owners on distance. I think we've both made the points we wanted to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.