New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iced

Apples and organges man. Going to a game when the Rams are somewhat close isnt the same as season's tickets and making that drive 8 weeks plus pre-season nonsense. And not to get in to a semantics debate here, but 230 miles to Miami aint a 2 hour drive

You've never driven through Alligator ally..Each way was about 2 1/2 hours,but speeds and weather can dictate things (remember the winds being rough that day, we were doing 85 down alligator ally and the winds were annoying)

but like i agree, apples to oranges, which is why i pointed out the differences in interstate vs 101 or city traffic.

But I would do that round trip to tampa 60 miles, and Miami I could easily see myself making the trip for 6 games a season. But everyone has their own preferences/limitations (like jobs, kids, etc.).

Im actually quite done with relocation talk. If they move they move, if not it's still alright. I've been to St. Louis a few times to catch a game. No knock on St. Louis, but I prefer my stay in California and will continue to rock the horns if they do decide to stay in Missouri. However if they decide to move, will you still support?

bluecoconuts

Legend
If we're talking pure dollar signs, then Carson is the better project. You increase the value of both teams, and give the two teams in the worst stadiums the best stadium.

Except that Inglewood makes more money. Either way two teams end up in LA, and the third likely gets something new either in their market or another.

Yes I'm saying that Chargers fans would get on board. I'm in no way saying anything that's happening would be fair. I'm not saying immediately. The sky's would bleed for a few years then the Chargers would make the playoffs and then SD fans would come trickling back. Yes distance will have a lot to do with that. When one distance is 113 miles and the other is 1,800 miles, I think distance has to be a major factor. I don't see anyway around it. This is about the owners and the NFL, not the fans. You say expect them to team up with a rival team? Well they have. It's done. They've teamed up. The 3 owners have pretty much said up yours to the fans. The NFL is going to do what's best for them long term, not you or I.
The way you say to do it, a market that is making a major effort and has been solid gets totally abandoned. The way I say to do it there is a team in every market for a fan who wants to go to football games.

You make it sound like I don't have sympathy for Chargers fans. I do.

Its not about sympathy, I think you're underestimating the situation. You're essentially saying that fanbases eventually don't care if they move to rival cities. I don't think the majority of Chargers fans would just get over losing the team to LA, just like I don't think the majority of Cardinals fans would get over losing the team to Chicago.

Its not a simple drive down the street, its a two day thing. People need to get hotel rooms, spend gas money, sit in traffic all day. Its not fun and most fans are not going to do that, especially for a team in a rival city.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Haven't read or cared about any of it in months. Way I see it, the Rams have one more year here. I will support THE TEAM while they're in Stl still. Which means buying resold tickets, and literately spending no money at any game.

Nice man I'm glad you're still enjoying the games and not letting this stuff effect you. That's the right way to handle it. All this bs is pretty much out of our control the way I see it. Do you think the resold tickets will still be cheap like the previous year? My Dad and I were thinking about flying down there and catching a home game this year.

RamBill

Legend

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
However if they decide to move, will you still support?

The question wasn't to me but I'll answer it for myself.

The answer? I don't know. But it would have nothing to do with how big or great of fan I am.
Right now I'm not sure how I could support them.
I am a Rams fan through and through. I was even an LA RAMS fan BEFORE they moved to STL. (3.5 hrs away)
Heres the thing: how many LA Rams DIDNT continue to support the team that abandonded them? Many of them didnt. Many didnt follow them for many years.

I think the world of those original LA fans who stayed with this team after the move. I've always hated that they lost their team. I really believe that these fans are the exception and not the rule though. I think the majority of fans moved on.... and I get it.

Now there is a new generation of fans under 30 who act like the Rams are somehow more important to them than they are us. Those are the types I have no respect for. I understand their excitement, I understand why they would want this to happen, but it's the attitude, the entitled bs that makes me upset.

I'll always be an old LA RAMS fan.
I will always be a STL RAMS fan.
I don't know that I would be a NEW LA RAMS fan though.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Who have lived 20+ years without the NFL just fine. San Diego might lose all their pro sports teams in the coming years if they don't turn around their money situation. LA is the perfect relocation destination for the Chargers. That way the population at large in Cali doesn't lose a team.

Ask anybody in LA if they accept the Clippers or the Angels as his/her own. LA will never accept the Chargers nor should it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What if the deal was this:

The Chargers go to LA, Rams stay in St Louis and then they swap names and uniforms.

The St Louis Chargers, with Jeff Fisher as HC, Chris Long and co...

The LA Rams with Philip Rivers at QB....

Would LA fans be satisfied?
Would St Louis fans?

I'm only curious btw.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

The Chargers go to LA, Rams stay in St Louis and then they swap names and uniforms.

Would St Louis fans?

I'm only curious btw.

Speaking as a St. Louis fan. I don't think it would work short term with either fan base. I know I wouldn't like having the players I've followed since Jeff took over not be a part of my fandom. Some players go back futher than that (C. Long, J. Lau, Quinn.)

But, I think long term it would work. Rivers is a good symbol to the team. But, I'm not sure how happy he'd be, because he said in the past he would rather be traded then play in LA.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
The question wasn't to me but I'll answer it for myself.

The answer? I don't know. But it would have nothing to do with how big or great of fan I am.
Right now I'm not sure how I could support them.
I am a Rams fan through and through. I was even an LA RAMS fan BEFORE they moved to STL. (3.5 hrs away)
Heres the thing: how many LA Rams DIDNT continue to support the team that abandonded them? Many of them didnt. Many didnt follow them for many years.

I think the world of those original LA fans who stayed with this team after the move. I've always hated that they lost their team. I really believe that these fans are the exception and not the rule though. I think the majority of fans moved on.... and I get it.

Now there is a new generation of fans under 30 who act like the Rams are somehow more important to them than they are us. Those are the types I have no respect for. I understand their excitement, I understand why they would want this to happen, but it's the attitude, the entitled bs that makes me upset.

I'll always be an old LA RAMS fan.
I will always be a STL RAMS fan.
I don't know that I would be a NEW LA RAMS fan though.

:unsure: I fall in that age group of new generation Rams fans, I hope I've never sent those vibes in your direction.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:unsure: I fall in that age group of new generation Rams fans, I hope I've never sent those vibes in your direction.

No, not at all my friend.

A few weeks back I was running g lights for a dance competition in Orange County. The local stagehands who were working for me were just assholes though. They were telling me that we only borrowed them. Their attitudes might not be the same as the typical young LA fans, but it certainly represents a portion.

Everybody at ROD has been at least tolerable lol.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

bluecoconuts

Legend

Would St Louis fans?

I'm only curious btw.

That's an interesting take, I think it would be confusing for a lot of people, but probably acceptable for the majority of the fan bases, however fans would be annoyed needing to change over their jersey's and such.

However if Kroenke wants LA then either the owners need to swap, and that's where the problems come into play. I don't think Spanos would be okay with that personally, which throws a wrench into everything.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
No, not at all my friend.

A few weeks back I was running g lights for a dance competition in Orange County. The local stagehands who were working for me were just assholes though. They were telling me that we only borrowed them. Their attitudes might not be the same as the typical young LA fans, but it certainly represents a portion.

Everybody at ROD has been at least tolerable lol.

Sweet :D

Thats not cool at all they said that to you, what a dick move. LA/STL, we're all fans of the same team. No one from any side should be bashing the others. I'm sorry you had to deal with that down here (n)

RamBill

Legend
CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb discusses if the Rams will move to California within the next 2 years. He thinks 3 teams will end up in LA, with the Rams ending up in Anaheim.

That's a new one: 3 teams in So Cal with one in Anaheim? :?

Listen to Gottlieb Talk LA

bluecoconuts

Legend
CBS Sports’ Doug Gottlieb discusses if the Rams will move to California within the next 2 years. He thinks 3 teams will end up in LA, with the Rams ending up in Anaheim.

That's a new one: 3 teams in So Cal with one in Anaheim? :?

Listen to Gottlieb Talk LA

Stick to basketball buddy, that's the one scenario that isn't happening.

Also Anaheim? Yuck...

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Just started thinking about what Spanos could do to turn things around against SK. He can't and won't stop SK from moving to LA, but he can do some things to screw things majorly for SK.

First thing I'd do is drop the fiasco that is the Raider partnership/Carson project. Approach the city of LA directly and garner favor with Mayor Garcetti and the city council. Inglewood's nice, but city of LA houses the big boys, politicians that eye the governship/White House.

Approach AEG about rekindling the idea of the downtown football stadium. As much as AEG was probably butt hurt the last time Spanos left them high and dry, there's a lot of money still to be made and Spanos could bring them back to the table by offering to sell a large % of the team ownership to AEG.

All of a sudden, Spanos not only makes Inglewood seem quite a distance away just like Anaheim once did, but more importantly, he is now part owner of the fastest growing, most vibrant parts of the city, which is the heart of downtown LA.

You want to steal the Rams corporate clients? Downtown LA houses corporate clientele the likes of which even the New York teams would be jealous. Many of the largest companies which may not be headquartered in LA have giant offices in downtown LA, including: accounting firms (Deloitte, Ernst & Young, PWC, KPMG), law firms (Gibson Dunn, O'Melveny & Myers, Latham & Watkins, Lewis Brisbois), all the largest banks domestic and international, and some of the largest companies in the world north of downtown (Warner Bros, Disney, Nestle USA, etc. etc.).

6,000 seat theater in Inglewood sounds nice, but now you'd have access to the Microsoft Theater, Staple Center, and the most exciting and vibrant restaurant and club scene in the whole world. Not sure why I'm thinking of these things, but if I were Spanos, that's what I'd be doing.

iced

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...ge-relocation-fee-raiders-preparing-for-move/

NFL May Not Charge Relocation Fee, Raiders Preparing For Move?

It appears that the National Football League is extremely motivated to relocate an NFL franchise to Los Angeles.

According to Sports Business Journal’s Daniel Kaplan, the NFL may not end up charging a relocation fee if and when a team decides to move to Los Angeles. Instead, the league may instead take a share of the team profits.

The report is interesting because Nick Canepa of U-T San Diego reported back in April of this year that the relocation fee for a team heading to Los Angeles could range anywhere from $250 million to a half-billion. Additionally, the league’s relocation policy states that a relocating team “will ordinarily be expected to pay a transfer fee to the League,” which compensates other teams for the loss of the opportunity to move to the new market and/or accounting for the enhanced value of the franchise due to the relocation.

Considering Houston Texans owner Bob McNair had to pay a reported $700 million expansion fee to put a new franchise in south Texas, it shows how motivated the NFL is to bring a franchise back to mega-market that is Los Angeles.

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis has reportedly grown frustrated with negotiations with the city of Oakland to build a new stadium and many believe the Raiders may be on their way out of Oakland and on their way back to Los Angeles.

Recently, St.Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke presented his plan to build a stadium in Inglewood and former San Francisco 49ers executive Carmen Policy presented a joint plan by the Raiders and the San Diego Chargers to build a stadium to be shared between the two teams in Carson. Policy said that “the Chargers and Raiders are committed to Los Angeles” and that the presentation went well.

At an owners meeting held early last week to discuss relocation, NFL vice president Eric Grubman said; “There has been no viable proposal” from Oakland to the Raiders.

New York Giants’ co-owner Steve Tisch was quoted in the Los Angeles Times: “At some point that’s (relocation) going to be inevitable,” he said. “I think Roger (Goodell) has thought about it, the L.A. stadium committee has thought about it, and though we’re not ready to cross that bridge yet, it is something that at the appropriate time it will be handled very sensitively.”
Considering the reports that Raiders’ owner Mark Davis had spoken with San Antonio about the possibility of a relocation to San Antonio, it seems likely that the Raiders are preparing to leave Oakland and could use San Antonio as a temporary home while a stadium is being built.

On Friday, San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor said her city is able to host an NFL team in the interim period until a stadium is completed in Los Angeles and saw the possibility of hosting the Raiders for a season as a platform to show the city’s capability to be a future permanent home of an NFL franchise.

“I think it would give NFL fans here the experience of having a team here locally and it would further highlight the assets of San Antonio to the NFL,” Taylor said. “Should there be any expansion or other moves, it lets the NFL know San Antonio is a viable option.”

Back in 2005, the New Orleans Saints temporarily relocated to San Antonio and played 3 regular season “home” games at the Alamodome in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

It’s becoming more and more obvious that the NFL wants to move a team to L.A as soon as possible and it also seems that the stars are aligning for the Raiders to return to the big-market city it once called home.

Status
Not open for further replies.