New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No way the NFL lets any team walk away from public money, it just wont happen. It will tell other cities that they don't have to give public money because the rams turned it down. That is a precedent that the NFL doesn't want to set.

They have before.

Regardless of what happens it sets a precedent. What do you think the NFL would rather avoid? Backing owners into a corner and hurting their ability to negotiate, or pissing off local government?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Oh geez...I feel like Eli Manning & John Elway...Anybody but the Chargers....I feel sick...

Either way the Chargers likely come to LA. Which is dumb because they're going to be second/third fiddle no matter what. If the Rams or Raiders return you'll see dormant fans pop back up, but the Chargers aren't going to see mass changing of allegiances. Especially from those two fanbases.

MrMotes

Starter
No way the NFL lets any team walk away from public money, it just wont happen. It will tell other cities that they don't have to give public money because the rams turned it down. That is a precedent that the NFL doesn't want to set.

I guess it's settled then, Chargers are staying in SD...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I just hope the owners ask Stan why he deserves LA when he's got the best offer on the table. I know he's got the best plan for LA at this point in time, but the home market just can't be an after-thought in this whole process.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The difference is the San Diego offer isn't realistic and everyone knows that. They are throwing something out there so they can say they tried, that public money wouldn't get voted through by the public anyways. Name one time where a city/state was offering real public money and a team left anyways to pay for it all themselves in another city.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope the owners ask Stan why he deserves LA when he's got the best offer on the table. I know he's got the best plan for LA at this point in time, but the home market just can't be an after-thought in this whole process.

I also hope they asked Spanos why he's willing to spend money in Carson yet not in San Diego. He has San Diego wanting to work with him but he seems to be too good to work with his home market. He also is making the home market an after thought.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aren't you the poster who says Kroenke hired Spagnulo, and Kroenke isn't the sort of person to give the stadium proposal to the NFL himself?

I guess i'm inclined to go with the reporters who cover this stuff...
Not sure, but this seems like attacking the poster, not the post.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference is the San Diego offer isn't realistic and everyone knows that. They are throwing something out there so they can say they tried, that public money wouldn't get voted through but the public anyways. Name one time where a city/state was offering real public money and a team left anyways to pay for it all themselves in another city.
It's been addressed before.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It's happened in Cleveland and the team was allowed to leave with a valid lease in place for more revenues in Baltimore.

The other side is that the NFL doesn't want to have cities avoid commitments to the teams. There are other teams that have first tier clauses in their leases so what would happen to them if the NFL allow St Louis an out for the lease. The other cities wouldn't honor their agreements because the league won't support the owners.

I doubt we have a run on relocation either way. LA is getting filled by one team or another. Which means the next team has nowhere to go. That alone is what's going to kill the first tier nonsense eventually. Where's the next owners going to go and still make a profit? Nobody else with one of these is as rich as Stan, so who's going to build the stadium for them? Taking a team from St Louis that's destroyed its own net worth thru losing and moving them to LA isn't the same as taking the Bengals, who haven't been bad lately, and moving them to Toronto.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
San Diego latest proposal included what, 500 mill in public money?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I also hope they asked Spanos why he's willing to spend money in Carson yet not in San Diego. He has San Diego wanting to work with him but he seems to be too good to work with his home market. He also is making the home market an after thought.

San Diego has had 10+ years to get a working deal on the table. St. Louis is working on the second stadium in 25 years, half public funded, and at break-neck speed (after arbitration).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's how TV works, when people go on air for interviews or stories or things to that nature they are told what to say. They mostly read from a prompt, they have things they can and can't talk about, its very controlled, down to when and how long their commercials can be to even how long their intros can be.

Did an NFL owner tell him stuff personally? No, but the producers and writers and everything told him, and they were given confirmed information from others before putting it on the air. That's how TV works.
I agree, if it's something that is being "reported". But opinion (which is how I read Whyche's comment) is another story altogether. I read it as two guys driving down the highway, looking at some sites and forming their own opinions on what they saw. (see bolded part)

As far as how TV works, I do not know as I've never worked in TV. Have you? But, I guess there is a difference in how things are broadcasted depending on whether it is being portrayed as fact or just an opinion. I guess broadcasters have quite a bit of leeway when it comes to opinions... it's only when they step over the line that their jobs may be in jeopardy (wasn't there a recent ESPN talking head that lost his job because of an opinion?

One of the specific comments Wyche made was that time allotted and that since they both live down there in LA driving by the sites it's clear that Inglewood could break ground today if necessary and that Carson was a lot further away. Wyche said this was evident to anybody who went to the 2 sites. No I'm not going to bother searching for the video, I saw it so you can call me a liar if you wish.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah sure it has... keep dreaming that the NFL will turn down public money

Re quoting from the page before this since you seemed to have missed it. The Browns leaving Cleveland has been mentioned many times as an example of what you say will never happen.

It's happened in Cleveland and the team was allowed to leave with a valid lease in place for more revenues in Baltimore.

The other side is that the NFL doesn't want to have cities avoid commitments to the teams. There are other teams that have first tier clauses in their leases so what would happen to them if the NFL allow St Louis an out for the lease. The other cities wouldn't honor their agreements because the league won't support the owners.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
St Louis followed the lease policy to the T and when the rams came back with an unrealistic demand they still turned around and put a new stadium offer out there in less than a year.

Arbitration was over 2 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.