New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Too bad you could hear an interview with Eric Dickerson if you did.

I just can't stand Fred Roggin. I don't care if he's saying the Rams are definitely staying in St. Louis, I'd rather here a paraphrase than his voice.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can't stand Fred Roggin. I don't care if he's saying the Rams are definitely staying in St. Louis, I'd rather here a paraphrase than his voice.

Your loss, I don't think anybody not in St Louis will paraphrase for you because anybody else would just be accused of being biased in their paraphrasing.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Your loss, I don't think anybody not in St Louis will paraphrase for you because anybody else would just be accused of being biased in their paraphrasing.

Was this the thing where Roggin was quoting @STL-Rams article but refused to give him the credit? If so, then yea....typical Roggin. Say you have huge news, then string people along for another hour, before blowing tons of hot air. I have 0 respect for the man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was this the thing where Roggin was quoting @STL-Rams article but refused to give him the credit? If so, then yea....typical Roggin. Say you have huge news, then string people along for another hour, before blowing tons of hot air. I have 0 respect for the man.

Sounds like then you don't care to hear what was said on his show. I'll just drop it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
it was an interview, but whatever

I actually don't mind Fred all that much, I think he's a douche, but he is certainly well connected around LA sports.

Anyway, I'll sum it up for @ChrisW

The interview isn't bad either. He starts out asking what the word is about Oakland is it good or bad, are they building or not... Floyd says it's in the middle, not terrible news and not great news.

Says they're going through questions and concerns, and have 15 days to reply to them, which they intend to do.

Some random banter, saying that what they're asking for clarification on stuff they want them to ask for clarification on. Says about 30% of their questions are "hogwash" but they'll respond anyway.

Floyd then says there's good framework to go forward, but he questions if there is a political will on behalf of the city and county to come to the table and actually negotiate a deal that is acceptable as far as the Raiders and A's are concerned that makes everyone, including the city/county happy.

Floyd says he hasn't had contact with Marc Davis for the past 2 months, says he doesn't know where they stand on the project. Says the same thing for the A's, but he'd be happy to talk to them. He says the biggest issue is that the land is still owned by the city, but so far he's not seeing much that suggests they're willing to sell the land.

Says if everything comes together in a perfect world, it would take about 14-16 months to start building after getting the go ahead, with a 32 month build process.

Says he has access to market reports among all cities, Oakland, LA, San Diego, and St Louis.

Says St Louis city support is a little bit better than the overall market support, but it is truly a St Louis Cardinal town, and baseball in that market is much more heavier supported than football is.

Says that San Diego the market studies say there are issues everywhere, it's similar to Oakland in that there is a core group that are very strong Chargers fans, but not at the economic level where the PSL sales would set anyone on fire. Says that's (the PSL) the same situation in St Louis as well as Oakland.

Says that the LA market study said the most anticipated team to return to the city would be the Rams, the second (in his judgement) would be the Raiders, and then the Chargers.

Says that from what he understands about Carson and Inglewood, that Carson has many problems and would take a very long time for them to start building. Says remediation is down in the R's (I have no idea what that means, but Roggin replied with "Oh. Wow! Yikes") and reiterates that there are a lot of problems with Carson and while a lot of them are pushed under the rug at the current time, they are much more significant that they even have in Oakland.

Says he wont expand on them though, because some of the information was given to him in confidence by certain people in the know and he doesn't want to violate that.

Roggin says he believes that some of them will come to light soon, and Floyd says he understands there may be legal documents coming to light soon.

Floyd says he believes at this time he believes the Rams will go to LA, says that he is hopeful that the city of Oakland will come forth with a deal to negotiate with the Raiders to keep them there, since the Raiders seem sincere about staying in Oakland.

Says he really doesn't have any idea what'll happen with the Chargers because of how messy it is, including politically, doubts a bond will get passed.

Says that there is some confusion about his roll in Oakland, says people think he's going to build a stadium in Oakland and then give it to the Raiders, but he says that's not his roll. His roll is to help figure things out and getting all parties to work together and help with financing and public support and stuff like that (sounds pretty similar to what Peacock is doing).. Says he's more than an advisory person, says it's business.

Says that he'll get back to the city 15 business days from today.

Roggin says Floyd is pretty well plugged in to everything, says he thought some of the Carson stuff was interesting and that he hadn't heard about it, even though he feels he is pretty plugged in as well (although he has admitted before he's less plugged into Carson and more Inglewood).

That's about it.

Overall the interview wasn't bad, some interesting stuff really, but nothing ground breaking.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I actually don't mind Fred all that much, I think he's a douche, but he is certainly well connected around LA sports.

Anyway, I'll sum it up for @ChrisW

The interview isn't bad either. He starts out asking what the word is about Oakland is it good or bad, are they building or not... Floyd says it's in the middle, not terrible news and not great news.

Says they're going through questions and concerns, and have 15 days to reply to them, which they intend to do.

Some random banter, saying that what they're asking for clarification on stuff they want them to ask for clarification on. Says about 30% of their questions are "hogwash" but they'll respond anyway.

Floyd then says there's good framework to go forward, but he questions if there is a political will on behalf of the city and county to come to the table and actually negotiate a deal that is acceptable as far as the Raiders and A's are concerned that makes everyone, including the city/county happy.

Floyd says he hasn't had contact with Marc Davis for the past 2 months, says he doesn't know where they stand on the project. Says the same thing for the A's, but he'd be happy to talk to them. He says the biggest issue is that the land is still owned by the city, but so far he's not seeing much that suggests they're willing to sell the land.

Says if everything comes together in a perfect world, it would take about 14-16 months to start building after getting the go ahead, with a 32 month build process.

Says he has access to market reports among all cities, Oakland, LA, San Diego, and St Louis.

Says St Louis city support is a little bit better than the overall market support, but it is truly a St Louis Cardinal town, and baseball in that market is much more heavier supported than football is.

Says that San Diego the market studies say there are issues everywhere, it's similar to Oakland in that there is a core group that are very strong Chargers fans, but not at the economic level where the PSL sales would set anyone on fire. Says that's (the PSL) the same situation in St Louis as well as Oakland.

Says that the LA market study said the most anticipated team to return to the city would be the Rams, the second (in his judgement) would be the Raiders, and then the Chargers.

Says that from what he understands about Carson and Inglewood, that Carson has many problems and would take a very long time for them to start building. Says remediation is down in the R's (I have no idea what that means, but Roggin replied with "Oh. Wow! Yikes") and reiterates that there are a lot of problems with Carson and while a lot of them are pushed under the rug at the current time, they are much more significant that they even have in Oakland.

Says he wont expand on them though, because some of the information was given to him in confidence by certain people in the know and he doesn't want to violate that.

Roggin says he believes that some of them will come to light soon, and Floyd says he understands there may be legal documents coming to light soon.

Floyd says he believes at this time he believes the Rams will go to LA, says that he is hopeful that the city of Oakland will come forth with a deal to negotiate with the Raiders to keep them there, since the Raiders seem sincere about staying in Oakland.

Says he really doesn't have any idea what'll happen with the Chargers because of how messy it is, including politically, doubts a bond will get passed.

Says that there is some confusion about his roll in Oakland, says people think he's going to build a stadium in Oakland and then give it to the Raiders, but he says that's not his roll. His roll is to help figure things out and getting all parties to work together and help with financing and public support and stuff like that (sounds pretty similar to what Peacock is doing).. Says he's more than an advisory person, says it's business.

Says that he'll get back to the city 15 business days from today.

Roggin says Floyd is pretty well plugged in to everything, says he thought some of the Carson stuff was interesting and that he hadn't heard about it, even though he feels he is pretty plugged in as well (although he has admitted before he's less plugged into Carson and more Inglewood).

That's about it.

Overall the interview wasn't bad, some interesting stuff really, but nothing ground breaking.

Thank you, Blue. Cheers.

DenverRam

Starter
I think that is interesting. I have friends in Boulder and also one in Denver and he has about the opposite take. In fact it was my buddy in Denver that told me about Kroenke insisting on keeping Karl on at his normal salary while he was going through his medical issues and couldn't coach the team.

People may get pissed about the lake but if he bought the property it sits on, I'm not sure I blame him with what I've seen Joe six pack do to the shores and the lake itself. I fish a lot of areas and it just astounds me the messes some people think is ok to leave. Unfortunately, it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. I don't know the specific issues on that lake so I'm only making assumptions on that. But if he owns it or the access to it, he owns it.

Stan is spending the money. In fact, he is spending like a drunken sailor on coaching staff and the organization as a whole. The owners first job is spending money on the organization. It's not like owners spend top level money and then tell everyone they don't have to perform as mediocrity is just fine. Just spend my money and we're aces. RIGHT! He's spending the money in Denver and he's spending the money in St Louis.

I'm fine with fans in the Lou not liking the guy as he is potentially making plans to move the team. But I fail to see how what he is doing in Denver as somehow being a bad owner. The fact is that several teams have fallen to mediocrity. Hell - the Lakers are doing it right now. I suppose I don't put that as much on the owner as some. I figure if he is spending the money, he will want results. It may not happen with every regime he puts in place but eventually lightning will strike.

Can't say that aside from the stadium issue that I've seen Stan do anything less than try to build a winner.

He's not spending the floor, he's spending at or near the cap. He wouldn't have any penalties by spending at the floor. If he is giving Demoff the entire cap to spend - which we see is the case - then he is not being some sort of cheap owner not interested in winning. Of course he is interested in winning it all. Otherwise, he would be spending only what he was required.

I might be pissed at him too if I lived in the Lou. Not sure how much canceling one fan event and replacing it with a lower key event would mean to me. It would more have to do with moving the team - of course. But the idea that Stan has somehow insulted the fan base or directed anything negative at the fan base, simply isn't true.

These kinds of negotiations and maneuvers suck for the fan base no matter where they happen. And St Louis is no different than most other NFL markets other than Stan isn't spewing a bunch of rhetoric and negativity like we see in many stadium ordeals.
Ask them the difference between the bowlens and the kroenkes. It's not even close. Kroenke not even in the same league as ownership goes.

The guy bought a lake and kicked families off it who have been fishing there for decades.

So because he sends cap space like every other owner, that makes him a good owner? Doing what is required is considered good now?

Great news for arsenal he had some success. I'm glad a soccer team in Europe had success while his other US franchises struggle with mediocrity.

Any good owner knows every detail about their franchise, and when to interfere and when to not interfere. Stan just doesn't bother at all. The nuggets just got fleeced for Lawson, trading a premium player away for peanuts. Not a word from stan...

He treats owning a franchise like owning a Walmart. It disturbs me that he is not emotionally invested in these teams. When I came to Denver and witnessed a season, I was overwhelmed...this is what it is like to have an owner who cares about the city he lives and does business in....this is what it is like to have an owner who has alzheimers but can still talk about his roster like he believes in it.
Stan is just not invested in the teams he owns other then financially. He has warped sports ownership into this non caring, non chalant way of running a team. His franchises are always behind the main city's team in every market he is in.

Ask any player if they want to play for kroenke, you will get silence.

Ask any player if they want to play for bowlens and they break down in tears for what he does for them. The whole sb run was about getting a win for the bowlen family. That was the motivation in the locker room.

You will never find that in a kroenke lead franchise.

That's the difference.

DenverRam

Starter
The only thing good the LA people have said about stan is that he spends money. That is very telling in itself. I'm curious what good things st. Louis people have to say about him. Typing from my phone , so sorry if confusing

Other then his hairpiece we all barely know much about him , other then what is found on Wikipedia.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
The only thing good the LA people have said about stan is that he spends money. That is very telling in itself.

Other then his hairpiece we all barely know much about him , other then what is found on Wikipedia.

What do you know about Philip Anschutz?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ask them the difference between the bowlens and the kroenkes. It's not even close. Kroenke not even in the same league as ownership goes.

The guy bought a lake and kicked families off it who have been fishing there for decades.

So because he sends cap space like every other owner, that makes him a good owner? Doing what is required is considered good now?

Great news for arsenal he had some success. I'm glad a soccer team in Europe had success while his other US franchises struggle with mediocrity.

Any good owner knows every detail about their franchise, and when to interfere and when to not interfere. Stan just doesn't bother at all. The nuggets just got fleeced for Lawson, trading a premium player away for peanuts. Not a word from stan...

He treats owning a franchise like owning a Walmart. It disturbs me that he is not emotionally invested in these teams. When I came to Denver and witnessed a season, I was overwhelmed...this is what it is like to have an owner who cares about the city he lives and does business in....this is what it is like to have an owner who has alzheimers but can still talk about his roster like he believes in it.
Stan is just not invested in the teams he owns other then financially. He has warped sports ownership into this non caring, non chalant way of running a team. His franchises are always behind the main city's team in every market he is in.

Ask any player if they want to play for bowlens and they break down in tears for what he does for them. The whole sb run was about getting a win for the bowlen family. That was the motivation in the locker room.

That's the difference.

The only thing good the LA people have said about stan is that he spends money. That is very telling in itself. I'm curious what good things st. Louis people have to say about him. Typing from my phone , so sorry if confusing

Yeah I get what you think of his ownership skills. I know people in your area who feel different. I also am not going to get into a tit for tat on your views. You come on here solely to "contribute" to this thread and go after Kroenke. I don't really have any stake in defending the man except that he is the owner of our team and has done everything I would want from an owner except maybe give fans in the Lou an indication of his intentions. But then again, I really don't expect him to until this whole thing works its way through.

I might however suggest you take some time to interact with the members of the board a little more before coming with remarks like the cheap hair piece shot. Others have earned some latitude here. You, however, have not.

Welcome aboard if you actually want to contribute. But posting a few times only to try to lambaste the owner of the Rams is not really going to make me want to think too serious about your opinions.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just because some of us say he's not horrible that doesn't mean we think he's the greatest of owners. I can think of some I'd rather have and some I'd rather not have as owners. But if you look at the improvements in the Rams in the last few years that the people he's hired have made then you can see an improved roster and better coaching than pre-Fisher. Improving the Rams is all I want from an owner. He's lambasted for "not caring" about the team but so far I've seen nothing he's done to imply he doesn't care about his team.

Also him buying a lake and not letting people fish on it sucks but oh well he purchased the land legally didn't he? Was it part of that 140,000+ acres he paid like $132 million for? Then it's his right to do what he wants with it. It's no different than the government or an indian tribe telling people they can or can't fish on a lake. Get over it and find a new place to fish this has nothing to do with him as the Rams owner.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but that's pure speculation and there's no way you can even tell me that's true or that any player has ever said that.

Yeah those millionaire athletes only won and played great games because of who sat in the owners box.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

That's the difference.

You also won't find in a Kroenke lead franchise skirting the salary cap, not honoring financial commitments and misstating financial reports

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh, I'm sure there are way more people in the area who feel that way. It isn't like they sought out specific people who felt one way or the other for that article. I don't need to go to the PD article, I read about the focus group here where most people were in support of the Rams staying, which is what was on par with what most of us thought. The random people in LA who were questioned didn't care one way or the other, which was on par with what a lot of people thought.

If an article like this one turned up with the same reaction from St. Louis, the LA supporters here would have been all over it.

This response is not aimed at you DB. I just want to get that out there up front. I only picked this response out randomly as I saw no purpose in quoting a bunch of them for the same purpose.

I've read all the other posts on this article as well as the article itself. I'm not too keen on what is going back and forth as we have established long ago that we are not going to allow fan bases to be attacked.

It's a little too late to go back and remove that article now but I would if I had been able to see it earlier.

Sorry - but anyone who has seen how these articles are put together knows that there is a model to them. Start with a premise and go out to demonstrate that premise. I have zero faith in the idea that this writer did not choose which quotes to use in order to align them with his/her premise.

Going back and forth over whether or not people in LA have more to do or are apathetic, is highly anecdotal in nature and does nothing but pit one fan base against the other. And if as you say, someone posted a similar article about St Louis fans, I would be saying the same thing in reverse.

You can find apathy toward any sport in any city. All you have to do is look. If however, anyone wants to continue with going after EITHER fan base, they will find themselves on the outside looking in.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
This response is not aimed at you DB. I just want to get that out there up front. I only picked this response out randomly as I saw no purpose in quoting a bunch of them for the same purpose.

I've read all the other posts on this article as well as the article itself. I'm not too keen on what is going back and forth as we have established long ago that we are not going to allow fan bases to be attacked.

It's a little too late to go back and remove that article now but I would if I had been able to see it earlier.

Sorry - but anyone who has seen how these articles are put together knows that there is a model to them. Start with a premise and go out to demonstrate that premise. I have zero faith in the idea that this writer did not choose which quotes to use in order to align them with his/her premise.

Going back and forth over whether or not people in LA have more to do or are apathetic, is highly anecdotal in nature and does nothing but pit one fan base against the other. And if as you say, someone posted a similar article about St Louis fans, I would be saying the same thing in reverse.

You can find apathy toward any sport in any city. All you have to do is look. If however, anyone wants to continue with going after EITHER fan base, they will find themselves on the outside looking in.
It's all good, I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.