New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The NFL has never stopped an owner from moving. The NFL didn't stop the Seahawks from moving. King County already had an injunction preventing the team from playing anywhere else and the negotiations for the sale were pretty much completed prior to the NFL's threat. The team tried to use that the King Dome was at risk for earthquakes to get out of the lease because of the top tier requirement. Behrens own experts said So Cal was more at risk which pretty much killed his chance of getting out of the lease.

They stopped the Vikings and Colts, and Irsay was starting to say out loud he was going to go to LA. He even parked his plane in LAX, big giant Colts horseshoe logo and all. He was told "oh no you don't".

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
They stopped the Vikings and Colts, and Irsay was starting to say out loud he was going to go to LA. He even parked his plane in LAX, big giant Colts horseshoe logo and all. He was told "oh no you don't".

Neither team ever had any real intention of moving to LA or did anything to make a move happen. The Vikings said they had an agreement to play at the Rose Bowl but at that time the Rose Bowl couldn't house an NFL team.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It does and so do other parts of the Sherman Act. The NFL would open themselves up to a major antitrust case that they would most likely lose and it would expose them to a multiple billion dollar settlement.

So, can anyone start a team and demand to be a part of the league?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
So, can anyone start a team and demand to be a part of the league?
If you do decide to do this, you are free to name your team the Washington Redskins since it is no longer legally protected. Now wouldn't that be a kick in the pants!?!?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So, Budweiser just re-upped their sponsorship of the Rams Premium Club. Seems like local businesses are stepping up. My question is, does this bode well for St. Louis, or would that sponsorship carry over to LA if they moved?

bluecoconuts

Legend
So, Budweiser just re-upped their sponsorship of the Rams Premium Club. Seems like local businesses are stepping up. My question is, does this bode well for St. Louis, or would that sponsorship carry over to LA if they moved?

Certainly doesn't hurt St Louis anyway. My guess is if they left, Budweiser would be able to pull the sponsorship if they wanted to. Of course they may not want to pull it.

MrMotes

Starter
I don't know if they re-upped, i think they replaced the jewelers that were sponsoring the premium club...

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Cross ownership is a non issue. The original rules were thrown out in court entirely. The case involved soccer but the ruling didn't specify soccer. The NFL kept the original rules in effect for 17 years even though they weren't enforceable. The modified rules are just enforceable because there's no defense for allowing cross ownership in another market for soccer but prevent the other sports. MLS structure is different but the the NFL owner controls the team and control is just as important as owning the other team.
Then why is it an issue being discussed? It still doesn't change my opinion on going rogue should the Chargers and Raiders get the okay to move, however. SK will not want to be the 3rd team in that market.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Cracks me up how Stan is getting bashed here. Put the blame where it belongs, on St. Louis city officials and the CVC for offering Stan and Georgia a deal they knew they couldn't uphold. If they had lived up to the contract they offered to get the Rams to St. Louis in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Yeah, yeah, this has been mentioned and debated numerous times. And the main reasons he's being bashed is because he was quoted as saying he would do everything in his power to keep the team in St. Louis and it seems as if he's not doing that. He could do it in the end, but his keeping silent during the whole process has angered a lot of people tied to the city of St. Louis.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
For those wondering about the AB deal:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sn0ssm

ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The St. Louis Rams announced today the signing of a sponsorship agreement with Anheuser-Busch, providing the nation’s leading brewer with exclusive naming rights to the team’s premium club located on the south side of the Edward Jones Dome.

As the title sponsor of the Budweiser Signature Club, Anheuser-Busch will also obtain various promotional elements such as branding on premium club tickets and exterior signage at the Edward Jones Dome and 6th and Convention fan plaza. The St. Louis-based company will also receive digital advertising and inclusion on the Rams’ official website.

“We’re excited for Anheuser-Busch and Budweiser to play an even bigger role in helping Rams fans enjoy their time at the stadium,” said Brian Perkins, vice president, Budweiser. “There’s nothing like the excitement of a live NFL game, especially in St. Louis—Anheuser-Busch’s hometown—and we’re thrilled to be part of the great environment at the Edward Jones Dome.”

The Budweiser Signature Club, formerly known as the Clarkson Jewelers Club, offers optimal views above the south end zone and will feature Anheuser-Busch branding throughout. Highlighting the Budweiser Signature Club experience, is an all-inclusive buffet, open bar, VIP parking packages, concierges and in-seat beverage service. Fans can opt to view the game in either terrace seating or loge boxes, which include four recliner-style seats and two high-definition televisions.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Apparently, it doesn't matter what the NFL says, thinks, or does. Their destruction is imminent if they choose to go against Stan "Lawyerman" Kroenke.

Please notice the blue font.
FWIW, I just heard Karraker on 101 espn say that he spoke to an executive for one NFL team who says the Rams "horribly mishandled the whole St. Louis situation." This came after they replayed the John Clayton interview.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, yeah, this has been mentioned and debated numerous times. And the main reasons he's being bashed is because he was quoted as saying he would do everything in his power to keep the team in St. Louis and it seems as if he's not doing that. He could do it in the end, but his keeping silent during the whole process has angered a lot of people tied to the city of St. Louis.

He isn't doing anything much differently than many owners have done. Rarely are the media and fans addressed and I'm sorry if they are all butthurt but this is USUALLY how it goes down..........in every sport and especially the NFL because of the LA market.

The big problem IMO is that fans and the media now have MUCH greater platforms to voice their (usually uninformed and stupid) opinions and fantasies about what will happen. The fire gets stoked by knuckleheads with internet access and no real information. Why do people think they have a right to know what is going on behind the curtain?

One perfect example is that some people think SK has said he wants to move to LA. He's said nothing like that. Yet people believe it because someone posted it or blogged it and someone else believed it or reposted it.

SK, just like most other owners in this situation, isn't going to say a damn thing to the media or fans. And frankly many of the people complaining about this would be doing the same thing he is, playing it close to the vest and working every angle.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
FWIW, I just heard Karraker on 101 espn say that he spoke to an executive for one NFL team who says the Rams "horribly mishandled the whole St. Louis situation." This came after they replayed the John Clayton interview.

I wonder if the NFL exec was Ray Farmer........ :ROFLMAO:

@dbrooks25 AB could sign a deal like that with or without the Rams being a tenant in that stadium. I wouldn't look at it as a big deal..........unless it was a two year deal or a non exclusive deal meaning they can be a sponsor in other stadiums.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Then why is it an issue being discussed? It still doesn't change my opinion on going rogue should the Chargers and Raiders get the okay to move, however. SK will not want to be the 3rd team in that market.

Would Stan be the third team there? He'd be the first one one in a more central location, in a market that apparently prefers his team. I think he'd be considered the first one.

RAMbler

UDFA

"horribly mishandled"?? What could he possibly be talking about? sounds a bit over the top to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.