New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I don't get the obsession with fan support.

I know i've said this before but Georgia didn't move to St. Louis because of the L.A. fans. She moved because of all the money St. Louis gave her. And if Stan leaves it won't be because of the St. Louis fans, it will be for the opportunity L.A. presents.

That might not be how The Rams and the NFL will spin it, but that will be what happened...

Exactly, bro.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The CVC does not and SHOULD NOT get a pass. They knew the ramifications of the lease going in, but they decided that they could do without the Rams just so they could fill the Dome with conventions.

Now, I don't mind the convention business, and neither do I mind the possibility of the Final Four, swimming events, etc., but somewhere in all of that they forgot that the Dome was supposed to be the Rams' home.

I think it would have been easier to update the Dome to the first tier standards and also figure out a way so as NOT to lose all those other events that they have been salivating over. Would have been easier, in my mind, to upgrade the Dome so that it would have been able to host those events -- many of which don't even take place during football season -- and then also somehow expand the convention center area, which right now is sort of pathetic unless the Dome is included in the convention space. I mean, have you ever gone to a convention that spilled out into the Dome? So much wasted space, and the utility bills have to be horrendous. There has to have been a better plan if only the CVC wasn't comprised of people who have absolutely no vision and, to my mind anyway, no civic pride.
And now it appears that Peacock has to let the ball bounce at the two and pull a Tavon Austin for the score. If he does it, St Louis should name the stadium after him.

MrMotes

Starter
I think the key difference is that the restaurant owner is not likely to have had tax dollars used to build his restaurant and then pay a heavily subsidized rent until such time that the restaurateur saw a greener pasture.

Unfortunately, the powers that be should have really seen this coming being that they essentially played that game to get the Rams there in the first place.

Like it or not, the Rams are out of their lease fair and square.

And going back to my local restaurant analogy, i'm sure there could've been people in the neighborhood who supported the restaurant when it was just starting out and struggling who would also feel somewhat betrayed/abandoned if the restaurant left for a better opportunity...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

And going back to my local restaurant analogy, i'm sure there could've been people in the neighborhood who supported the restaurant when it was just starting out and struggling who would also feel somewhat betrayed/abandoned if the restaurant left for a better opportunity...

Especially if they had Kurt Warner making their omelets. (y)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Also 2050, The CVC scheduled events forcing the NFL to schedule the last two games of the season on the road for the Rams. 2013 and 2014, and now 2015. If I were the owner, that would certainly piss me off.

MrMotes

Starter
I know that when you have a Mcdonalds franchise in St Louis it doesn't mean you can just close it and move it to LA. Somebody already owns the zip codes in any given area. Mcdonalds HQ would shut that down quick and find someone to reopen the STL franchise.

The NFL has stated, that they own the LA zipcodes, and not just any particular team can play there without approval.

If we're gonna use McDonald's instead of a local restaurant, let's keep in mind the NFL franchise owners are some of the richest most powerful men in the country and the 32 franchise owners are the NFL. This makes a NFL franchisee a hell of a lot more powerful than a McDonald's franchisee. At McDonald's the franchise owners are nobodies, not true with the NFL...

tonyl711

Starter
Well, if anyone could empathize what St. Louis fans are going through I suppose it would be LA fans. ;)
exactly, its pretty much the same situation, i just wonder why we are expected to act as if everything is just peachy, i promise you when the Rams left LA the fans there werent happy and let the owner know it attendance wise and media wise. so why is it wrong when we do the same?

tonyl711

Starter
Might as well save your breath Ripper. Kroenke is the anit-christ, the team hasn't improved under his ownership and we're not set up even better for the future than the Rams have been in decades, we're set up even better now than we were coming out of the SB win. The Rams were very very bad for a few years and it was minority owner Kroenke's fault. The temperatures are rising and California is in a draught and it's Kroenke's fault. We know that the Rams bad years and the fan apathy can be traced back to three people: Georgia Frontierre, John Shaw and Jay Zygmut. But it's easier to put all your hate in one basket and ignore reality and just blame Kroenke.
yep just like Georgia is to LA fans, by the way who owned the team during thier only super bowl win, during the GSOT days? thats right it was that demon spawn Georgia, we also know the Rams have had 10 bad years in a row, and if shaw and Ziggy get credit for a bad product on the feild in LA why doesnt the minority owner get the same in St Louis? and yes fan and corporate apathy has been created by Stans refusal to give any kind of reassurance. deny it all you want, its there for all to see, unless your wearing blinders.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
exactly, its pretty much the same situation, i just wonder why we are expected to act as if everything is just peachy, i promise you when the Rams left LA the fans there werent happy and let the owner know it attendance wise and media wise. so why is it wrong when we do the same?

I don't know who's expecting you to act as if everything's peachy. A true fan is going to be very upset. I don't blame anyone for that. Especially if you had season tickets and stuck with them through the decade in the wilderness.

Like I said, LA fans know what you guys are going through. They went through it 20 years ago. I imagine even some fans left the team altogether. I didn't. I was a die hard Los Angeles Rams fan since the late 60's. All my teams were LA teams. Rams, Dodgers and Lakers. But just because they moved I couldn't change teams. My heart wouldn't be in it.

Believe me, the combination of them losing, then moving, I considered changing teams. But when it was all said and done, I couldn't feel for another team like I did them. Too much history with them. So the St. Louis Rams were my team. They were still the Rams I came to know and love.

Do I want them back in LA? Sure I do. Would I leave them if they stay put? No I wouldn't. I enjoyed the St. Louis Rams and they're still the Rams I came to know and love. If they didn't move to LA I'd rather they stay in St. Louis than move to another city. Heck, if they moved to northern california I wouldn't be happy with it.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know who's expecting you to act as if everything's peachy. A true fan is going to be very upset. I don't blame anyone for that. Especially if you had season tickets and stuck with them through the decade in the wilderness.

Like I said, LA fans know what you guys are going through. They went through it 20 years ago. I imagine even some fans left the team altogether. I didn't. I was a die hard Los Angeles Rams fan since the late 60's. All my teams were LA teams. Rams, Dodgers and Lakers. But just because they moved I couldn't change teams. My heart wouldn't be in it.

Believe me, the combination of them losing, then moving, I considered changing teams. But when it was all said and done, I couldn't feel for another team like I did them. Too much history with them. So the St. Louis Rams were my team. They were still the Rams I came to know and love.

Do I want them back in LA? Sure I do. Would I leave them if they stay put? No I wouldn't. I enjoyed the St. Louis Rams and they're still the Rams I came to know and love. If they didn't move to LA I'd rather they stay in St. Louis than move to another city. Heck, if they moved to northern california I wouldn't be happy with it.
When the Rams moved to STL, I also wondered where my heart would be. Would I have to get another team? I have to say, is all I had to do was see that Rams helmet & uniform and it was as if I was looking at the love of my life. The love for the team and all those Sunday games & the Monday nights I had been through, the ups and downs, the history we witnessed together trumps the actual location of where they are headquartered.
Where does this deep devotion for a certain team come from? That my friends is one of the greatest mysteries of life. Man and his love of sports.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
yep just like Georgia is to LA fans, by the way who owned the team during thier only super bowl win, during the GSOT days? thats right it was that demon spawn Georgia, we also know the Rams have had 10 bad years in a row, and if shaw and Ziggy get credit for a bad product on the feild in LA why doesnt the minority owner get the same in St Louis? and yes fan and corporate apathy has been created by Stans refusal to give any kind of reassurance. deny it all you want, its there for all to see, unless your wearing blinders.

Assurances. There was no alternate plane in place till January of this year and that alternate plan wasn't complete then or now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Again though - it's not really a good analogy. As a restaurant owner, I know that there will be other restaurants in my market to take up the hole left by my leaving and there is no way that the infrastructure, tourism, and local businesses would have been created by and for my existence in the market.

I'm not saying that the Rams organization shouldn't be allowed to leave but that it is not really comparable to really any other business that does not individually affect the market like a billion dollar destination or employer being helped by the subsidization from millions of tax dollars.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

When the Rams moved to STL, I also wondered where my heart would be. Would I have to get another team? I have to say, is all I had to do was see that Rams helmet & uniform and it was as if I was looking at the love of my life. The love for the team and all those Sunday games & the Monday nights I had been through, the ups and downs, the history we witnessed together trumps the actual location of where they are headquartered.
Where does this deep devotion for a certain team come from? That my friends is one of the greatest mysteries of life. Man and his love of sports.
I can identify with these sentiments. I thought - what the hell - I'll just move on. Once I saw those horns on the helmets, I knew there was no way I could follow any other team.

It may seem silly to some but so much of my life has involved the Rams in some way, shape, or form. My dad and I used to get each other Rams stuff for virtually every birthday, Christmas, Fathers Day, etc. I have grown up with the Rams as a common bond with my dad and many of my closest friends.

Even though I am a Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings fan as well, there is no other team I follow like I do my Rams. And it's not even close.

beej

Rookie
Again though - it's not really a good analogy.
it's not a perfect analogy but it's useful to a degree. I hear people say, quite often on here, "If I as an owner want to move my business to a town where I can make more money, I have that right." or "He's a billionaire and nobody can stop him from doing what he wants."

well, that's not true. They can if they choose too. They have before and they could do it again. Of course people will say, yeah but that time there was this scenario...or there was that scenario...they can stop him if they want to. If it's worth it to them to put up a fight and stop it they can and they will.

The real question is do they want to.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
it's not a perfect analogy but it's useful to a degree. I hear people say, quite often on here, "If I as an owner want to move my business to a town where I can make more money, I have that right." or "He's a billionaire and nobody can stop him from doing what he wants."

well, that's not true. They can if they choose too. They have before and they could do it again. Of course people will say, yeah but that time there was this scenario...or there was that scenario...they can stop him if they want to. If it's worth it to them to put up a fight and stop it they can and they will.

The real question is do they want to.

The NFL has never stopped an owner from moving. The NFL didn't stop the Seahawks from moving. King County already had an injunction preventing the team from playing anywhere else and the negotiations for the sale were pretty much completed prior to the NFL's threat. The team tried to use that the King Dome was at risk for earthquakes to get out of the lease because of the top tier requirement. Behrens own experts said So Cal was more at risk which pretty much killed his chance of getting out of the lease.

beej

Rookie
The NFL has never stopped an owner from moving. The NFL didn't stop the Seahawks from moving. King County already had an injunction preventing the team from playing anywhere else and the negotiations for the sale were pretty much completed prior to the NFL's threat. The team tried to use that the King Dome was at risk for earthquakes to get out of the lease because of the top tier requirement. Behrens own experts said So Cal was more at risk which pretty much killed his chance of getting out of the lease.
so what do you think? If all 3 teams say they are moving to LA, its a go. The NFL won't stop one of them?

bluecoconuts

Legend
so what do you think? If all 3 teams say they are moving to LA, its a go. The NFL won't stop one of them?

I think the NFL will try to convince one of them not to file. If all three file then they've already failed at their job.

beej

Rookie
I think the NFL will try to convince one of them not to file. If all three file then they've already failed at their job.
how are they going to convince them not to file, if they are so powerless to stop a billionaire from doing what he wants?

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
If all three teams apply the weakest team will lose regardless of the stadium situation. All 3 have issues. Kroenke with cross ownership which may be the weakest issue since there are other conflicts the NFL must overcome to enforce it. The Chargers and Raiders both need an exception for a G-4 loan. The Raiders have another major issue Levi. Having a viable stadium and not having the money makes the Raiders situation challenging.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
how are they going to convince them not to file, if they are so powerless to stop a billionaire from doing what he wants?
Davis and Spanos aren't billionaires so they don't have the money to challenge the NFL. They both need assistance to relocate and build a stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.