New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
I think the lease is what it is. A VERY owner friendly lease intended to lure a team to the new dome. I don't think the idea that the Rams are somehow now no longer bound by their lease actually says to the NFL that they are free agents market wise. Maybe they can lean on that in some way but IMO that would be bogus and only intended to give them an excuse should they choose the Inglewood project. St Louis is the Rams market as far as I can see. I realize they spent more years in LA and I grew up watching them there.

But no matter how you slice it, Georgia was the majority owner of the Rams. Stan was the minority owner of the Rams. When they moved, they intentionally gave up the LA market and claimed the St Louis market.

Personally, I think the only way they should be able to move, is if the St Louis plan somehow either has a flaw in its financing or if the city/state is wanting Stan to give up more than would be a league standard OR change the lease conditions so much that it would have never gotten the team to come to St Louis in the first place.

I think you said it perfectly though we both know that the NFL will do what is best for the NFL. The thing I think can possibly help STL is, as Shane pointed out in his last article, some owners like Rooney believe in the by-laws and want them enforced. I can only hope that more owners feel that way than not. However, if the money is not there in STL then all bets are off.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
58 year resident of both LA and the OC. The earlier poll was correct. Easily 3 to 1 Rams. Probably more. Lots of transplant fans here too.

Yeah but most of the Raiders fans don't get internet access only time in the yard do how accurate is the poll really? ;)

RamBill

Legend
New St. Louis Rams Stadium May Be Built On Ancient Native American City
By Kristina Killgrove
Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristin...may-be-built-on-ancient-native-american-city/

A $1 billion plan to build a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams NFL team has archaeologists and Native Americans up in arms because of its proposed riverfront location. Just a few blocks northwest of the current Edward Jones Dome, the remains of two dozen earthen mounds dot the Mississippi River bank. While the mounds were flattened in the 1800s to accommodate the rise of St. Louis as an urban center, underneath the buildings and parking lots is a 900-year-old Native American town.

Across the river in Illinois, the site of Cahokia is much better known. Currently a 3.5-square-mile historic park, Cahokia boasts over 80 mounds and decades of archaeological research that has revealed a Grand Plaza, mass burials and sacrificial victims, and a unique copper workshop. Due to differences in funding and state laws about development, though, Cahokia’s sister city in Missouri is not well understood.
mound map

Mound_map_Mo_Hist_n38761_web.jpg

Map of ancient Native American mounds at the proposed site of the new St. Louis NFL stadium. (Public domain map via the Missouri History Museum Library.)

Archaeologist Joe Harl told St. Louis Public Radio that he is certain that ancient Native American artifacts will be found if the building project goes forward. Even though the project will use state bonds to finance a portion of it, because the project will be on private land and has no federal funding, in Missouri, developers are not required to call in archaeologists. Neither Harl nor Everett Waller, chairman of the Osage Minerals Council who spoke with Indian Country Today Media Network, wants to see plans for the stadium completely shelved. But both suggest that the stadium proposal task force take another look at possible locations and factor in money to do archaeological survey first.

To read more on this developing story, check out Veronique LaCapra’s piece at St. Public Radio, “New football stadium threatens what remains of St. Louis’ Native American past — and present,” or Rodney Harwood’s article at Indian Country Today Media Network, “Sacred Native site to be buried by new St. Louis NFL stadium.”

beej

Rookie
A $1 billion plan to build a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams NFL team has archaeologists and Native Americans up in arms
Ohhh please!!! yeah, let's leave that sacred site full of crumbling buildings, to honor the deceased. Somebody is just looking for...any reason to write a story.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I think you said it perfectly though we both know that the NFL will do what is best for the NFL. The thing I think can possibly help STL is, as Shane pointed out in his last article, some owners like Rooney believe in the by-laws and want them enforced. I can only hope that more owners feel that way than not. However, if the money is not there in STL then all bets are off.

Yes, they do but the only bylaw is a vote of the 3/4 of the owners.

The League shall have exclusive control of the exhibition of football games by member clubs within the home territory of each member. No member club shall have the right to transfer its franchise or playing site to a different city, either within or outside its home territory, without prior approval by the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the existing member clubs of the League.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Ohhh please!!! yeah, let's leave that sacred site full of crumbling buildings, to honor the deceased. Somebody is just looking for...any reason to write a story.
I thought the exact same thing. The city is already buried below buildings. Good grief!

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Actually beej, if a contractor / developer like myself runs across artifacts or more so skeletal remains during any kind of excavation, they have to cease work and notify the appropriate agencies for review and forensic analysis. If a burial site is found, (it seems especially Native American) work stops period until exhumations are authorized or the project is halted permanently. To circumvent this is a huge fine and possible loss of license.

BTW, river banks are frequent burial sites. Anaheim stadium in CA was thought to have been built on a burial ground as that area is an ancient river. None were found.

Now considering there are already buildings there one might assume that this would have already been addressed. what gives?

beej

Rookie
Actually beej, if a contractor / developer like myself runs across artifacts or more so skeletal remains during any kind of excavation, they have to cease work and notify the appropriate agencies for review and forensic analysis. If a burial site is found, (it seems especially Native American) work stops period until exhumations are authorized or the project is halted permanently. To circumvent this is a huge fine and possible loss of license.

BTW, river banks are frequent burial sites. Anaheim stadium in CA was thought to have been built on a burial ground as that area is an ancient river. None were found.

Now considering there are already buildings there one might assume that this would have already been addressed. what gives?
just for the record if anyone wants to build a giant football stadium on my grave some day, I'd be honored. jestsayin...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
New St. Louis Rams Stadium May Be Built On Ancient Native American City
By Kristina Killgrove
Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristin...may-be-built-on-ancient-native-american-city/

A $1 billion plan to build a new stadium for the St. Louis Rams NFL team has archaeologists and Native Americans up in arms because of its proposed riverfront location. Just a few blocks northwest of the current Edward Jones Dome, the remains of two dozen earthen mounds dot the Mississippi River bank. While the mounds were flattened in the 1800s to accommodate the rise of St. Louis as an urban center, underneath the buildings and parking lots is a 900-year-old Native American town.

Across the river in Illinois, the site of Cahokia is much better known. Currently a 3.5-square-mile historic park, Cahokia boasts over 80 mounds and decades of archaeological research that has revealed a Grand Plaza, mass burials and sacrificial victims, and a unique copper workshop. Due to differences in funding and state laws about development, though, Cahokia’s sister city in Missouri is not well understood.
mound map

Mound_map_Mo_Hist_n38761_web.jpg

Map of ancient Native American mounds at the proposed site of the new St. Louis NFL stadium. (Public domain map via the Missouri History Museum Library.)

Archaeologist Joe Harl told St. Louis Public Radio that he is certain that ancient Native American artifacts will be found if the building project goes forward. Even though the project will use state bonds to finance a portion of it, because the project will be on private land and has no federal funding, in Missouri, developers are not required to call in archaeologists. Neither Harl nor Everett Waller, chairman of the Osage Minerals Council who spoke with Indian Country Today Media Network, wants to see plans for the stadium completely shelved. But both suggest that the stadium proposal task force take another look at possible locations and factor in money to do archaeological survey first.

To read more on this developing story, check out Veronique LaCapra’s piece at St. Public Radio, “New football stadium threatens what remains of St. Louis’ Native American past — and present,” or Rodney Harwood’s article at Indian Country Today Media Network, “Sacred Native site to be buried by new St. Louis NFL stadium.”

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I have a question for some of you guys. IF the Rams stay in the Lou, and the Chargers and Raiders move to Carson, what do you guys think about playing in the AFC West? I know we lose our big rivalries, but do you think breathing life in to the Governors Cup, and playing the others in the AFC West will make it worth it?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a question for some of you guys. IF the Rams stay in the Lou, and the Chargers and Raiders move to Carson, what do you guys think about playing in the AFC West? I know we lose our big rivalries, but do you think breathing life in to the Governors Cup, and playing the others in the AFC West will make it worth it?
I hate it.
I think what would bring life to the Governors cup would be the Rams and Chiefs playing each other in the Super bowl...
Rams and Niners need to be in same division

I like the opportunity for in state Rivals only playing playoffs vs each other in the SB
Jets/Giants
Dolphins/Bucs
Steelers/Eagles
Texans/Cowboys
Chiefs/Rams
Raiders/49ers

beej

Rookie
hmmm...I love hating the teams I hate now, but I like the idea of acquiring hate for teams that I previously liked.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis native and Fox Sports’ top play-by-play man Joe Buck joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Tuesday to discuss the latest he’s hearing on the Rams’ future and what he thinks about the Cardinals World Series chances in 2015.

Listen to Buck Interview

What's going on with the NFL and Los Angeles?

"Has anything happened? You could be talking to Jerry Jones...you could be talking to Roger Goodell, you could be talking to Stan Kroenke...and nobody would have any idea how this whole thing plays out. The only think I can sink my teeth in to is I fully believe if the funding is in place and this vote passes and we go down the line with this stadium, then the NFL will stay in St. Louis. I believe if they get this thing done...and it's all sitting there...I don't see how the NFL pulls out of this city or doesn't put another team in this city immediately. I don't think anybody has any idea how this thing is going to turn out."

The Raiders have been said as a possibility of moving to St. Louis. Thoughts?

"I can imagine that. I could also imagine a scenario where they stay in Oakland. I just don't think we know...where this thing is going to go. I'm confident in Dave. I can gauge by his overall demeanor that he's confident. For a guy that's run a really big business in a tough industry...to be confident, that makes me feel good. I think the people on the inside on the St. Louis side feel good about where everything sits right now."

The most unlikely scenario seems to be that the Rams stay, correct?

"I could also see a scenario where the Rams stay and Stan goes and takes somebody else into his palace in LA. The one thing I would say is...if this product had been in LA for the last 10 years...I think the attendance has been remarkable at the dome considering how bad this team has been. If this product had been in any other city like LA, they'd have a tough time filling (the stadium). The frustrating thing to me is this is somehow representative of what the city thinks of the NFL."

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Yes, they do but the only bylaw is a vote of the 3/4 of the owners.

The League shall have exclusive control of the exhibition of football games by member clubs within the home territory of each member. No member club shall have the right to transfer its franchise or playing site to a different city, either within or outside its home territory, without prior approval by the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the existing member clubs of the League.

You correct it really just comes down to the vote in the end, however there is a lot of criteria that needs to be accomplished before we get to the vote and Shane did a great job of laying that criteria out in his latest article.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...adium-Task-Force-Remains-Focused-on-Rams.aspx

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm fine with it. Playing KC twice a year would be huge. I could easily be dead before the stars align enough to have a STL/KC super bowl. They've already aligned once in the World Series.

Other than that if this relocation thing has taught me anything about priorities it's keep a team first, worry about where they play later. I won't complain what division they may end up in. Kinda hard to have a division rivalry if ya ain't got a team.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm fine with it. Playing KC twice a year would be huge. I could easily be dead before the stars align enough to have a STL/KC super bowl. They've already aligned once in the World Series.

Other than that if this relocation thing has taught me anything about priorities it's keep a team first, worry about where they play later. I won't complain what division they may end up in. Kinda hard to have a division rivalry if ya ain't got a team.

I agree, I just don't want any animosity from the fans abroad because we had to switch divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.