New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
That's your right, but don't put your beliefs on other people. If people followed your example there would be far more Arizona Cardinals fans here. To each his own and for you to judge is not right. Now please cut this crap out because I'm sure this thread will be locked soon enough if it continues.

Exactly. Don't question my loyalty to a team that I've spent thousands of dollars of my yearly income on since their arrival to the city. The city I was born and raised in. Support through the good and the bad. The historically bad, along with moving allegations all the way.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
There's not even a freaking point to posting them. No one disagrees with what is being said on either side.
Yep, at the end of the day nobody but Kroenke truly knows what he will do with this franchise. Pro LA people will spin things in their favor and Pro Stl folks will do the same. I can read through various threads on various forums and can easily tell who the Pro LA and Stl people are just by their comments, and I'm not talking about those who say "i'm from LA" or whatever. Wishful thinking is what I see when I read them.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
My attentions are not to start drama, but isent this a Rams forum? I would want to know what people are saying. No matter what Rams till i die. Even if they move to the UK

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My attentions are not to start drama, but isent this a Rams forum? I would want to know what people are saying. No matter what Rams till i die. Even if they move to the UK
We get that, but maybe take a step back.
Everyone is entitled to feel the way they feel in all aspects of life.
This is no exception.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I have to admit I'm confused as to why someone would follow a team who just told them to get lost. That's like following your ex wife around with her new boyfriend and saying how it shows that you are the one who really loves her. To me, the game of football isn't the same without the local aspect. That's not to say that I'm right or wrong, just how I feel about football.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
To all;

It's with considerable thought we've decided to open this thread.

Our policy on relocation has been simple; the topic is full of speculation and devisive. We believe productive discussion is possible on this subject, but it too often turns into a STL vs LA pissing match.

Should this topic turn into that; we'll close it down and deal with those individuals.

This is a FAN forum and we pride ourselves in that.

This is the only thread we will keep open on this subject.

If we have success and the topic stays open, any new posts or links should be moved into this thread. However; proceed with care...

ANYTHING THAT PUTS STL AGAINST LA IS NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED.

Sorry for the caps. But you get the point.

Post with class, ROD.

CGI

beej

Rookie
STL and LA are both great cities. full of good people. I think the LA Rams fans don't understand one aspect of St Louisans. And that is how strong the regional pride is here. People here love the sport. People are faithful to the team. We take ownership of the team. And we may even complain about our city or it's leaders, but if someone from the outside complains about our city it would be like someone cursing our family. WE might do that, but anybody ELSE does and the gloves come off. If the rams leave it feels like they are walking away from da family. (insert Marlon Brando voice)

I don't know if that's good or healthy or anything, I just think that it's 2 different mindsets. LA probably has a lot of the same thing. but we don't see it on this forum by the simple reason that the LA fans that continue to be fans even after the team moved have some gift that enables them to rise above it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Calm down folks. Show some compassion for any fan that has in the past or will in the future lose their team from their city.

Btw, I listen to 101 espn everyday and this past Friday Randy stated that he believed the Rams will stay in the end since you want to put one of his vids up.

Go ahead and post it if you have time.

I have to admit I'm confused as to why someone would follow a team who just told them to get lost. That's like following your ex wife around with her new boyfriend and saying how it shows that you are the one who really loves her. To me, the game of football isn't the same without the local aspect. That's not to say that I'm right or wrong, just how I feel about football.

Maybe that's just how the West Coast fans felt when the Rams moved.

Btw since at the time of Peter King's MMQB last week posting this topic was verboten, I didn't post it. So here are his thoughts on this...

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/05/nfl-los-angeles-rams-wild-card-weekend/

jason-witten-story.jpg

Greg Nelson/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

NFL Drama Unfolds in Dallas (and Los Angeles)
Tony Romo and the Cowboys shook off six years of playoff futility in a thrilling win over the Lions, setting the stage for a big divisional weekend. Plus, game-changing news about the NFL returning to L.A.
By Peter King
la-stadium.jpg

An artist rendering of the planned NFL stadium project in Inglewood, Calif. (Courtesy of the Los Angeles Times)

The NFL is getting closer to returning to Los Angeles.

Major news in the NFL-returns-to-L.A. saga early Monday morning. The Los Angeles Times reports that Rams owner Stan Kroenke is planning to build an NFL stadium in Inglewood. Kroenke is teaming up with Stockbridge Capital Group, which owns the 238-acre Hollywood Park site, to build an 80,000-seat stadium and a 6,000-seat performance venue as part of a major retail-office-residential development, which is being dubbed the City of Champions Revitalization Project.

News of the development will put pressure on the city of St. Louis, which owns the outdated Edward Jones Dome. The Rams can convert their lease there to year-to-year next month and leave as early as the end of the 2015 season.

This doesn’t necessarily mean the Rams are moving to Los Angeles—yet. Shortly after the story broke this morning, I spoke with veteran Times NFL reporter Sam Farmer, who has covered the story of the NFL’s flirtations with Los Angeles since 2000.

Farmer: This is appreciably different than all the other concepts that have come and gone—the two dozen or so viable proposals. This is different, because it’s an existing owner with a site that can accommodate a stadium and all the parking and retail and a 6,000-seat theater. It’s a game-changer, because there hasn’t been a current owner who can identify a site and make it happen. If this were a game of Clue, we’d already have two of the answers—the who and the where. This is not a done deal. But this is the first major step toward returning the NFL to Los Angeles, and it could trigger a land rush between the Rams, Chargers and Raiders to all try to get to the market first.

How likely is it that St. Louis has lost the Rams?

kroenke.jpg

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, left, and owner Stan Kroenke (Michael Thomas/Getty Images)

Farmer:
It would certainly be pins and needles time for the city of St. Louis. The city has to come back by the end of the month [of January] with a serious proposal to keep the Rams. That’s when the Rams can roll over the lease to a year-to-year deal. This move ratchets up the pressure on the city of St. Louis and will smoke out the city’s best deal. This is a dramatic, bold and aggressive move toward the nation’s second-largest market, and a market that had the Rams for decades. And it’s the second-richest owner in the league, with deep ties to Los Angeles, who has a history of making bold and aggressive moves like this one. So St. Louis certainly should be concerned.

When is the earliest the Rams could play in L.A.?

Farmer: 2016. They could conceivably play in the new stadium by 2018—but they won’t put shovels in the ground for the stadium until they get the Environmental Impact Report done, which is all the legal, environmental and political clearances to build the stadium. The earliest that could happen would probably be early in 2016.

Where would the Rams play until 2018, if they move?

Farmer: I think it’s most likely the [Los Angeles] Coliseum. But I wouldn’t rule out the Rose Bowl.

More possible in Los Angeles: one NFL team or two?

Farmer: The concept of dropping two teams into the city simultaneously is very difficult. Two teams at once might be overwhelming. The first team would be so much better off in Los Angeles. Would the second team basically want to be the Jets playing in Giants Stadium? The first team is much more enticing. My expectation is you wouldn’t see two teams for a while.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not the Rams? If the Rams move to the UK will u still not be a fan? I dont get it, a true fan will support there team no matter where they go like ive been whem they moved to St. Louis
I don't think there is one universal reason why people choose to be fans of any organization. I am a true St. Louis Rams fan. The key there is St. Louis for me. Having said that, I do not want another team other than the Rams. At this point though, who plays in St. Louis is completely out of my hands. I do my part by buying tickets and showing up to the games. I will be 100% loyal to the Rams as long as they loyal to me (St. Louis).

I also find absolutely nothing wrong with anyone that continues to be a loyal fan to the Rams no matter where they play. For some people it isn't a matter of where they play.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
STL and LA are both great cities. full of good people. I think the LA Rams fans don't understand one aspect of St Louisans. And that is how strong the regional pride is here. People here love the sport. People are faithful to the team. We take ownership of the team. And we may even complain about our city or it's leaders, but if someone from the outside complains about our city it would be like someone cursing our family. WE might do that, but anybody ELSE does and the gloves come off. If the rams leave it feels like they are walking away from da family. (insert Marlon Brando voice)

I don't know if that's good or healthy or anything, I just think that it's 2 different mindsets. LA probably has a lot of the same thing. but we don't see it on this forum by the simple reason that the LA fans that continue to be fans even after the team moved have some gift that enables them to rise above it.
In many aspects I think you are right. But I would embrace anyone from anywhere that shared my criticism of Mayor Slay. :)

Haha...well, I think Mayor Slay has done some good things for our city but I think his time has passed. His visions have gotten stale and he has gotten complacent. I don't agree with a lot of his views but I also don't judge a leaders worth purely on where I stand on a subject. I think St. Louis just needs a fresh approach and new leadership is vital.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Calm down folks. Show some compassion for any fan that has in the past or will in the future lose their team from their city.
Now I'm trying to figure out who this WOULDN'T apply to... obviously L.A. lost the Rams, but St. Louis lost the Cardinals already.

I know that was the point, but...

I suppose technically if Rynie or Cardncub post here, neither of them have lost a team or are in danger of doing so. ;)

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
No matter what bean, if they stay or go im a Rams fan for life. And thats how it should be with the people in St Louis, ive all ready read on here if they move there not gonna be fans, and it shouldn't be like that.

But if that was the case, then everyone in St. Louis would be Arizona Cardinals fans for life, right?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Now I'm trying to figure out who this WOULDN'T apply to... obviously L.A. lost the Rams, but St. Louis lost the Cardinals already.

I know that was the point, but...

I suppose technically if Rynie or Cardncub post here, neither of them have lost a team or are in danger of doing so. ;)

As most if not all of you have figured out by now, this is a test thread to see how members handle this potentially volatile topic. So far so good.

I first became a Rams fan as a boy living in San Diego. We then moved to North Hollywood and finally settled in San Jose, CA - 49ers/Raiders country. The year the Rams moved to St. Louis, I moved to Maryland. In all that time I remained a loyal fan and went to games whenever I could. It made absolutely no difference to me what city the Rams had their home in. I would guess there are many members here who feel the same way.

However, there are also those who feel an attachment to St. Louis and who would feel betrayed and angry if the team left(the same way many LA fans felt when the Rams moved away). This is why it's important how we phrase our posts, keeping in mind the feelings of others.

9rro75.jpg

V3

Hall of Fame
No matter what bean, if they stay or go im a Rams fan for life. And thats how it should be with the people in St Louis, ive all ready read on here if they move there not gonna be fans, and it shouldn't be like that.
Are sports a business? Yes. Then why keep supporting a business that is no longer helping your city, people, economy, etc? On top of that, they're leaving taxpayers on the hook for millions of dollars for the building. If sports weren't a business, I'd agree, but if the owners, players, coaches, execs, et al, are all going to insist that it's a business, I'm not going to continue to support an entity that no longer wants to support me or my neighbors.

I will never blindly follow any business just because I have some deep rooted emotions from the past.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
As most if not all of you have figured out by now, this is a test thread to see how members handle this potentially volatile topic. So far so good.

I first became a Rams fan as a boy living in San Diego. We then moved to North Hollywood and finally settled in San Jose, CA - 49ers/Raiders country. The year the Rams moved to St. Louis, I moved to Maryland. In all that time I remained a loyal fan and went to games whenever I could. It made absolutely no difference to me what city the Rams had their home in. I would guess there are many members here who feel the same way.

However, there are also those who feel an attachment to St. Louis and who would feel betrayed and angry if the team left(the same way many LA fans felt when the Rams moved away). This is why it's important how we phrase our posts, keeping in mind the feelings of others.

9rro75.jpg

It really is an interesting dynamic. I'm 45. I grew up being a St. Louis Cardinals fan and they left the year I graduated high school. I still followed the Cardinals for years, but eventually as the years went on, and they no longer played the Cardinals games on TV locally, my interest started to fall. Of course, that might have been different if there was Sunday Ticket back then. Plus I was in college, playing baseball, drinking beer, chasing tail, so it wasn't 'as big' of a deal to me then as it would be now.

When the Rams came here, I was in my mid 20's, a solid NFL fan, and was hooked immediately. I've been a season ticket holder since I believe the 2002 season. Only games I've ever missed were because I was out of town or an illness to a family member. I've missed maybe 2-3 games in that time. I've been to training camps in Macomb, and of course here in Earth City. I go to many season ticket holder events. I've gotten all 4 of my kids into the Rams, and we all sport a hefty amount of Rams gear, along with having stuff on my boys' walls in their rooms.... I'm emotionally and financially invested in the team. I'd be pretty devastated if they left. If they did leave, I would continue to follow them.... but if a new team re-located here, I'd find it hard to imagine I wouldn't then become a fan of that team. I'll always have a rooting interest in the Rams, but I'm sure I'd be more supportive of the new team if it decided to relocate here. I hope it doesn't ever come to that.... would be really sad.

MrMotes

Starter
I think most of us develop our fan loyalty as kids and it sticks with us whether we move or the team does. But i absolutely don't begrudge anybody abandoning a team that abandons them. If the Rams move, the fan base will change substantially. That's a given...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
http://www.ksdk.com/media/cinematic/video/21617445/

Here's an 11 minute interview with Dave Peacock. It's basically Frank Cusumano rapid firing questions at him for the duration. Some interesting comments from Dave. It seems they are going to lean on the by-laws to keep the Rams here. He also says that the initial reaction from the Rams is that they are impressed, but it still is a negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.