New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kroenke would be wise to hire Dave Peacock. Hell, I want him to run for mayor!

I concur with Peacock in charge the Rams might actually start winning games and therefore could fill any stadium....What a novel concept?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way he explained it, it seems like it would be a net gain to the area to have the new stadium. opening the dome year round to conventions, plus NFL and MLS revenues. The only thing I'm worried about is Superbowls.
Yes, he didn't completely side-step the question, but didn't seem to have the details.

However, he seemed pretty confident the financing won't be a hurdle they can't jump and that - for taxpayers - the impact would be the same as it is today for The Ed or less.

I like the pictures... not a fan of open air (I went to one game in STL in early December... it was snowing and cold as hell... especially while drinking cold beer :). Man, was I glad to get in a climate controlled environment!

The arist rendering makes it look like a giant riverboat on the Mississippi! :)

Now, we wait...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
STL will never get a Superbowl, with or without a covered stadium due to hotel rooms proximity and bias for warmer weather venues! Too bad too, since the cash generated from it is impressive!
NJ is warm in February? :)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Sounds like it's open air for purposes of having an MLS team. Still, they could've covered the stands to keep the fans sheltered.

Overall the designs don't stand out for me but the parking does and if it achieves the aim of keeping the Rams, then it gets a thumbs up from me.

Very good point--it's got a lot of the feel of a Soccer stadium. LOL at the rendering of all the NFL fans in the upper deck, and not a soul in the lower decks! And with the Ram's WR on the jumbo tron committing a face mask on a Seahawk.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's not good for them. AFAIK, the Inglewood plan's financing is already out there.

Until they can show they can finance it, especially with politicians on record as wanting no more public funding for a stadium, it's just a pretty drawing.

That said, I agree it's very pretty and I'd have little to complain about if the Rams played there.

I believe they said it required a minimum of 200M from the NFL and 200M from Stan. So about half needs to come from outside the city. The problem is while Stan seems willing to put fourth his own money for LA, he didn't seem so willing for St Louis. That could be because St Louis wants to own the stadium rather than Stan owning it.

Did they mention anything about that in the presser? I think that's a key sticking point for Stan to be willing to put fourth his own money. He wants to own the dirt its on, and be an attractive option for a Super Bowl.

Irish

Starter
My favorite part of the renderings is that they are going to dye the mighty muddy mississippi blue. It will be like clearwater beach in the Midwest!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NJ is warm in February? :)
That was a one time deal, and they got lucky. Game was played in between blizzard like snow storms and was 60 degrees when it was in the teens the rest of the month. Also IIRC New York was given the nod as a retribution for hurricane damage?

V3

Hall of Fame
I really like the plans but I have a feeling it's going to need a roof to please "the most important people". Personally, I prefer it open aired. I'd go on a day like today. I think it's incredibly fun to overdress, bring lots of blankets and hot drinks, and huddle together with your friends and family at an exciting event. Reminds me of football games at Mizzou.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mostly it's the hotel rooms and their proximity to the stadium/downtown! lot of the rooms are 20-30 miles away. Not sure that at 64,000 seats the stadium qualifies! Minnesota's stadium will be closed, right?
Minnesota's stadium is going to be amazing. Closed roof, green building
vk13959.jpg

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I like the concept overall, I was kinda hoping it would be more like Seattle's stadium but ill take it!

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
My favorite part of the renderings is that they are going to dye the mighty muddy mississippi blue. It will be like clearwater beach in the Midwest!

Funny... I was saying the same thing to my co-workers!

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I really like the plans but I have a feeling it's going to need a roof to please "the most important people". Personally, I prefer it open aired. I'd go on a day like today. I think it's incredibly fun to overdress, bring lots of blankets and hot drinks, and huddle together with your friends and family at an exciting event. Reminds me of football games at Mizzou.

I am a season ticket holder, and I would say that out of the 8 home games, there might be 2 per year that are really cold. The rest typically are either warm (late summer / fall), or typical fall weather. Many, many games where it's sunny and 75, and you're stuck in the dungeon.

Irish

Starter
I am a season ticket holder, and I would say that out of the 8 home games, there might be 2 per year that are really cold. The rest typically are either warm (late summer / fall), or typical fall weather. Many, many games where it's sunny and 75, and you're stuck in the dungeon.

I saw a report the other day that said that if an outdoor stadium had been built in 1995 as opposed to a dome, inclement weather would have threatened the game something like 3 times.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken

Why not get the best of both worlds. Retractable roof?....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A few observations:

I like the drawings. The main things I like about them are the proximity to the riverfront as you need to boast that aspect if you have it, and the parking in the computer mock-up. I can't tell you how lame it is to try to tailgate in Seattle. What I don't like is that the stadium actually looks too open to be give the 12th man effect a real go. They need to tighten that up IMO. It also looks a little generic - almost like they told the computer to build a stadium.

What do they mean by private money in the financing? If it's Stan's money, I'm thinking he's going to want some kind of ownership out of the deal. If it is outside private money, I don't think Stan will go for that. Just a guess.

I don't really get how this stadium drawing is a plan. It occurs to me that one of the biggest pieces that the St Louis group needs to show the NFL is exactly how they plan to build this thing if approved by the NFL and Stan.

I think the new drawings - though not as flashy as the Inglewood drawings - are VERY cool and with a few tweaks can be the makings for a pretty cool FOOTBALL experience. I hope they can figure out a deal that works. It just feels like a football venue that may be just a bit too open for today's crowd.

Now - as to Peacock's resume that was posted in the St Louis Business Journal - it is a bio that you see on many people in business. Much like a padded resume, it has every glowing attribute one could come up with. No doubt Peacock is an impressive man and I'm not saying he couldn't be key in negotiating a deal on behalf of the Governor's office. The guy has WAY more credentials than the average businessman. But to compare a guy who helped put together a group to buy 15 Jamba Juices to the group(s) Stan has put together, is not really much of a comparison. I'm not bagging on the guy at all. He has done some great things and I'm not sure there is a much better candidate to negotiate this thing. But there just aren't many in business PERIOD that have the chops of a Stan Kroenke. Hell Paul Allen is over three times as rich as Stan but even he has no where near the moxy.

As to the good faith argument - Stan's group won the arbitration and the city was pretty much told they weren't even in the ballpark (scuse the pun) and needed to come back with a more realistic plan. It is not up to Stan's group in this instance to do anything until the other side comes back with a viable plan. As much as none of us really know what the city has done to honestly try to get Stan to return calls, no one really knows.

Is this plan by the governor's group sufficient to get a deal done or open negotiations to get a deal done? I don't know. But I am not going to throw Stan under the bus for doing what anyone in his position would likely do. The city has known for quite some time that their previous offer was not even close. Why has it taken them this long to present something? Were they really waiting for something from Stan's group? Or did they think they could wait him out? I don't know if we will ever get the answer to that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

It's we're talking Oklahoma or Texas red dirt, here. The Mississippi looks like a regular river that you see in any part of MO except way bigger. (Ecept after a big rain where you have a lot of drain off, maybe.)

Status
Not open for further replies.