New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Yeah.. I think it’s a team game and the D did its job.
The O had critical errors..
You said it. When you play a legit contender, especially on the road, you can’t make the mistakes the Ram offense did and expect to win too often.
1) interception in the end zone. Those were a critical 3 points left on the field.
2) a face mask at the goal line, negating a TD—a resulting FG cost the Rams 4 more points.
3) 4th down drop by the best receiver on the team, extinguishing another good drive. Kupp makes that catch and the Rams’ drive continues, already in lions territory

Edit:
Sorry, I typed this before today. I just found it, waiting to be sent. Now I can move on to the defense vs Zona today. lol.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Two games in a row now that BB3 has not been able hold his position or push back the the IOL with any consistency. Who’s the next man up? Who wants to be the hero? BB3 needs to be replaced to give the LBs and SS any kind of chance to stuff the run.

I think I miss Kendrick already. I’ll take grabbing and holding over long TDs/completions. Yes, I know he gave up his share of those, but I’m not seeing anything out there yet in the Rams’ secondary that tells me they’re better this year than last.

When Verse starts learning how to finish the plays he’s narrowly missing…THEN this defense will start generating big plays and TOs. IMO, not only did he play better today than he did vs the lions, he was the ONLY Ram who impressed me on defense today.

Ellard80

Legend
Saw this on ESPN

The Rams have allowed 67 points in two games, their third most through two games of a season in franchise history, according to ESPN Research. The Los Angeles defense is without future Hall of Famer Aaron Donald, who retired in March.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
Shulas has some explaining to do . I know this defense is depleted of talent but they also lack will and attitude . They look like they just don't care.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need beef on defense, particularly on the line. Love Verse for his physicality but he's the only imposing figure on this entire defense. That's actually crazy when you think about it. It's time to stop neglecting the defense. Get us some heat seeking ilbs and some run stuffing linemen.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Saw this on ESPN

The Rams have allowed 67 points in two games, their third most through two games of a season in franchise history, according to ESPN Research. The Los Angeles defense is without future Hall of Famer Aaron Donald, who retired in March.
Our highest paid defender, is no longer on the team.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Saw this on ESPN

It's all good. The boys are gonna hear everyone shitting on them this week, which is well deserved, and they'll bust their asses and keep working and hopefully get things fixed.

I'll add this too... If the defensive front rushes SF like they just did Purdy will run his ass off. He'll be ready to run, bank that shit, after watching this past game's film of what Murray did to us. They have to show a bit more discipline in their rush lanes. He is a QB you want to contain just like Murray.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not much else to add that hasn't been said already.

Reeder/Rozeboom is a liability.

BB3 has been hugely disappointing.

White is looking terrible, hopefully will get better as season goes. Leaving him on an island is a liability right now. If/when Williams comes back we'll be better hopefully.

I never saw much in Lake's game last season to make me excited to see more of him. I'm not sure what the hype around him has been for. I like the guy but he's not a playmaker.

Verse/Young are a great duo to build around. I just hope we fix enough around them to give meaningful pass rushing chances as the season goes.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There were a lot of times the first tackler missed and allowed extra yards. Seems like we do not have a good tackling team. We already know we don't have a good run defense. Which means needing to commit extra guys to try and slow it down. Leaving them vulnerable to plays down the field. I can imagine the 49er line and RB's licking their chops for this game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Growing pains are to be expected. I didn't however expect Brown to be utterly useless. Time for our Clemson DT to step up and get snaps.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's all good. The boys are gonna hear everyone shitting on them this week, which is well deserved, and they'll bust their asses and keep working and hopefully get things fixed.

I'll add this too... If the defensive front rushes SF like they just did Purdy will run his ass off. He'll be ready to run, bank that shit, after watching this past game's film of what Murray did to us. They have to show a bit more discipline in their rush lanes. He is a QB you want to contain just like Murray.
He doesn't have the speed Murray has. But yeah, Purdy can run if he's flushed out of the pocket. Easier said than done but they gotta keep him from running to his right. He doesn't have the arm strength to complete passes downfield when running to his left.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
While I’m not downplaying the personnel and execution issues, I do think Shula (particularly yesterday) has schemed poorly. Too many nickel packages on early/run downs is contributing to the porous run defense. With a depleted back end, some of the big plays may be inevitable, but I’d prefer that over being gashed on the ground constantly.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He doesn't have the speed Murray has. But yeah, Purdy can run if he's flushed out of the pocket. Easier said than done but they gotta keep him from running to his right. He doesn't have the arm strength to complete passes downfield when running to his left.
What Purdy does well is move the chains with his runs. He isn't a big offsched threat, as you say, due to his arm. But if we rush him with the lack of discipline we showed vs AZ he will kill us with surgical runs.

I am worried the front will rationalize this last game was just Murray going off. They really need to work on rush lane spacing for some of these QBs.