Nelson Spruce Starting to Make Noise Again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing we don't hear much about yet is top speed vs 40 time. Players today can be fitted with tracking sensors that measure top speed. I believe top speed (particularly for receivers) is just as important if not more so, than one's 40 time. Jerry Rice ran a slow forty, but very few people could catch him from behind. Guys like Spruce & Kupp may run pedestrian 40 yard dashes, but it would be interesting to know their top end speeds when they're running for their lives with the rock - you know - true football speed. Think how many times we've heard "he plays much faster than his timed speed."

Thoughts?

Yeah I agree with that Maui, that it's a metric teams are probably just now getting into. And Rice is a great example, where 40 time doesn't exactly measure long speed, it's more about your jump at the start. Maybe a better way to do it is have them run 60 yards with a clock that starts as you pass 20 yards and ends as you finish at 60, I don't know. Teams also might start heavily using the video tech as well, that measures that stuff in order to stack "explosive" traits.

We kind of saw that with the Rams and their nerds' nest video. Their measurements of explosiveness to include some things like broken tackles were clearly important to the Rams' draft board.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All that "40 time" and "shuttle time" is OK to get a gage on ability, but there's nothing better to get a true gage than putting on the pads and see a players works in game situation aganist real hitting. Only way to see a players "football instinct".

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just giving the kid some cred for what he did well, and saying those things might help him translate to the NFL. Nothing's for sure, I just think he might do better than many anticipate.
The competition between the 2016 & 2015 wrs (Spruce, Cooper, and McRoberts...throw Bradley in there as well....hell North too) will be fierce. I expect Spruce & Cooper to give Kupp & Reynolds...hell, throw Everett in there as well....to give those guys all the competition they can handle. I can't see rookie wrs outperforming 2nd and 3rd year players....just doesn't happen that often.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What’s likely aided in that process is the way McVay and his staff have installed the offense. Thomas said he feels like the unit has picked it up quickly and well, in part because everyone has a complete picture of the scheme.

“The way they’re teaching it is incredible. Everybody’s getting it fast,” Thomas said. “It’s all about concepts. And when you know what everybody else is doing on the field, it makes you play way faster because you know what I have at the end of the day, and what the tight end and the other receivers have.”

Boom.

This is what I was talking about all last off-season, the previous incoherent scheme where players had NO IDEA what their contribution was.

I'm loving that not only is McVay installing his offense in this way, but that the players, including a 2nd year player, are taking to it like ducks to water.

What's great is as fast as the offense is getting it, the D seems to be getting it even faster.

Seriously, I think this team is about to make a BIG leap.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The competition between the 2016 & 2015 wrs (Spruce, Cooper, and McRoberts...throw Bradley in there as well....hell North too) will be fierce. I expect Spruce & Cooper to give Kupp & Reynolds...hell, throw Everett in there as well....to give those guys all the competition they can handle. I can't see rookie wrs outperforming 2nd and 3rd year players....just doesn't happen that often.

Honestly, if I had to wager today, I'd say the WR Corps will be 6 and consist of Austin, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Spruce.

I think the two rookies make it and that Thomas' ability to go deep and Spruce's ability to create separation will be winning factors (as well as their ability to simply catch the ball) will win over Marquez's ST ability or McRoberts, Everett or North.

I make this... guess... based on what McVay seems to look for and in part on his own statements. He's not mentioning guys to get them jobs on other teams. And as purposeful and mindful as McVay clearly is, he's not going to mention a guy to play games like Fisher did (which I appreciate like I can't even put into words).

I think Marquez, McRoberts, Cooper, Everett and North are on the outside looking in... at this point.

Camp will further illuminate the WR situation, but that's what I see at this point.

nanotech

Rookie
Honestly, if I had to wager today, I'd say the WR Corps will be 6 and consist of Austin, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Spruce.

I think the two rookies make it and that Thomas' ability to go deep and Spruce's ability to create separation will be winning factors (as well as their ability to simply catch the ball) will win over Marquez's ST ability or McRoberts, Everett or North.

I make this... guess... based on what McVay seems to look for and in part on his own statements. He's not mentioning guys to get them jobs on other teams. And as purposeful and mindful as McVay clearly is, he's not going to mention a guy to play games like Fisher did (which I appreciate like I can't even put into words).

I think Marquez, McRoberts, Cooper, Everett and North are on the outside looking in... at this point.

Camp will further illuminate the WR situation, but that's what I see at this point.

There is no way they cut Everett

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One thing we don't hear much about yet is top speed vs 40 time. Players today can be fitted with tracking sensors that measure top speed. I believe top speed (particularly for receivers) is just as important if not more so, than one's 40 time. Jerry Rice ran a slow forty, but very few people could catch him from behind. Guys like Spruce & Kupp may run pedestrian 40 yard dashes, but it would be interesting to know their top end speeds when they're running for their lives with the rock - you know - true football speed. Think how many times we've heard "he plays much faster than his timed speed."

Thoughts?
Good point, forget 40 times! I want to see their playing speed! can't get this picture of S-P-R-U-C-E out of my mind!! ....

Spruce.jpg

and I think we'll see a lot of this from him!!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Cooper and Everett would be complete shockers....almost impossible...

I could see Cooper being cut or PS, though I don't think he would last long there.

There is no way and I would bet my house on this, that Everett does not make the 53. Besides, he is a "TE" in name.

So we all know Austin, Woods, Kupp make it. Roberts very, very good chance. That leaves us with 2 slots. I'm not going to list the remaining who won't make it IMHO, but Spruce and Reynolds seem to be the pack leaders to make the 53 man squad.

Time will tell. When camp starts I'll be watching them (WR's) to give you my honest, unadulterated, unfiltered long time Ram fan opinion, which would be only slightly better than if you threw some darts at pictures on a wall.

Ram65

Legend
Austin, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Spruce and Cooper.

Thomas is getting a lot of praise from everyone and more importantly McVay. I have to move him up as making the team. I guess if he gets open and can go deep an occasional drop is ok. Don't hear much about Cooper. Spruce was said to be working outside with Kupp at one practice. It might be hard to not take all seven of them with no Chase Reynolds on Sp Teams.

Spruce does appear to be a McVay type player. He was listed at 6'1" and 206 Lbs at the combine. He also had a year in the weight room. Good routes, good hands and good size/weight/strength.

It's funny how we all gravitate to a player and root for him. I liked Spruce last year as an underdog local guy. He flashed in one preseason game. In the end the Rams will make the final decisions. We get to hear everyone make their case for their guy which is the fun part for us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If we consider the practice squad as making the team...

Woods, Reynolds, Kupp, Spruce, Thomas (dude has ran the most at practice...and they KEEP bringing his name up, plus he reminds me of Ike Bruce)...and Austin??? Then Cooper &....wild card here...North...Bradley Marquez is the shocker....not making it....and Cooper WON'T last on the PS.

I don't see Spruce or Pharoh Cooper loosing out to rookies....as receivers....Now special teams...whole nuther story.

7 make squad...baring a trade of some type...with 2 more on PS...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd bet the same thing. Spruce is just too good a fit for this particular offense. And they would have good balance in the roles:

X: Thomas/Reynolds
Y&Z: Woods/Kupp/Austin/Spruce

And of course I think Woods and Kupp both get looks at X. But Thomas and Reynolds are going to rotate in on a lot of snaps there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper and Everett would be complete shockers....almost impossible...

I disregard Everett in that conversation since he's part of the TE group. As to Coop... Not really a shocker if he gets beat out. And it's possible. IMO it's Cooper vs Spruce. Thomas is going to make this team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am anxious to see more of Spruce in camp and preseason.

We saw a lot of positives, just not over an extended period due to his injuries.