Need a laugh? Then read this.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McGinnis is a tool. He is hoping Fish gets another shot at coaching so he can get a better job. The only thing I give them credit for is leaving, and letting more qualified people run this team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am more than happy to give Dave McGinnis Credit.
U-MD-224-2.jpg

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is a laugh. 5-11 if Fisher was in charge and Goff would be labeled a bust.
Good riddance

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's not wrong. Last regime added a ton of talent. There's lots of threads showing that.

Only thing I laughed at was how shitty this article was.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Me, personally, I'd like to give credit to the people behind the Titanic for making transatlantic travel a success.

I'd also like to give credit to the people behind the Hindenburg for their role in transatlantic travel. You guys are da bomb!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
While Fisher gets a lot of bashing, deserved when it comes to offense, he gets a lot of credit from me for the Rams current success. He came to a team that was worse than an expansion team. With an expansion team you start fresh and don't have to figure out who to keep and who to dump. Fisher drafted a lot of the players that are core players to the current success of this team. Brockers, Ogletree , Barron, Joyner on D. Goff, Gurley, Brown Havenstien on O were all solid and very good pickups and guys Fisher was responsible for bring in.

McVay inherited a much better team than Fisher inherited. Fisher just couldn't figure out how to get them to win.

McGinnis on the other hand gets ZERO credit. He's in the booth and not on the field for a reason. (One of Fisher's mistakes)

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Fisher had a defense and special teams and he had it 4 or 5 years... What's different this year?

Uhmm the #1 offense in the NFL.
Uhmmm nope, no, sorry, no credit to the Fisher Regime for their current success.

What Fisher had? 7-9, 8-8, 4-12 ??!?!??
Now 10-4 !!!
So no doesn't deserve any credit in my opinion.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No credit for Drafting Goff, Gurley JBrown of Havenstien? Those were all Fisher picks. Who would you have drafted Snaz?:thinking:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Fisher was part of a team that made A lot of good draft picks but they also blew many in the first 3 rounds. He may have been better at the later rounds actually. And since the rams had so many high draft picks during his time, I think its reasonable to expect to hit on as many as he did.

But assembling the player talent is only one aspect to consider. Despite all the talent, I have no doubt that this team would still be no better than .500 right now if fisher was still here. He just didn't have the right team staff, except for fossil, and his decisions to improve his staff every year were just horrible and even head scratching at times.

So yeah, he deserves SOME credit for the player personell, but even then, any decent evaluater should be able to find the amount of talent he did given the amount of high picks he had to work with.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They may have acquired some of the talent on the Team, BUT they didn't know how to Coach it!
As stated in the Lead into the article "KICK-ROCKS!"

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
Fisher did a pretty good job with the team's defense and special teams. However, neither Fisher nor McGinnis have owned up to the mistakes they made during their tenure. I had been a Fisher apologist longer than most (regretfully so), but couldn't be happier that he is gone. It pissed me off when Fisher had said that he was never a part of the long term plan in L.A. in his first interview since being fired. Sh*t like that makes it even more clear he lacked accountability and it trickled all the way down to his players.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No credit for Drafting Goff, Gurley JBrown of Havenstien? Those were all Fisher picks. Who would you have drafted Snaz?:thinking:

Does Les Snead get any credit here? If not then what is the purpose of him being a general manager?

When he was hired I figured Fisher, based on his long coaching history, would get us out of the basement and to a level of mediocrity, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, and make this team tough and mean. For the most part he accomplished that.

He set the table for McVay and the Rams for years to come, so I hold no animosity towards the man but neither do I think he deserves another shot at an NFL head coaching position, unless he has absolutely no say on the offensive scheme or the coaches that are hired to run the offense.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...eland-browns-chicago-bears-indianapolis-colts

To Any NFL Team With a Head-Coaching Vacancy: Please, Do Not Hire Jeff Fisher
Conservative retreads are bad for the league. Get yourself someone who understands the league’s efficient, fast-paced future, or get left behind
By Kevin Clark

jeff_fisher_getty_ringer.0.jpg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

The Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns are playing on Christmas Eve. The result is irrelevant for the 2017 season, but the game itself is notable since these two teams make up 66 percent of the teams that Jeff Fisher is reportedly “eyeing” during his big comeback to the coaching ranks. The third team is the Indianapolis Colts.

Each of these teams is currently coached by its own version of Jeff Fisher, and the idea of replacing a Jeff Fisher knockoff with the original Jeff Fisher is one of the absolute grimmest outcomes possible for an NFL franchise.

And yet here comes Fisher. CBS reports that Fisher is “contacting potential staff members as teams get set to start interviewing coaching candidates next month.” Our own Mike Lombardi said not to rule him out as a candidate because of his extensive contacts in the league and because the league office will help him.

(Fisher was a longtime competition committee member and Mike Florio said his status as a favorite son of the commissioner’s office is “very real.”) Bleacher Report linked Fisher to the Bears job as early this past summer. Meanwhile, my colleague Robert Mays has registered his intention to relocate to the moon should this happen.

The problem here is that the NFL teams, despite comprising what is a $60 billion-plus industry, cannot be trusted to hire someone who’s good for the sport. Many NFL teams are, as an executive once told ESPN’s Seth Wickersham, run like billion-dollar lemonade stands: woefully short-sighted.

That Fisher’s self-professed candidacy is not immediately dismissed as a joke at worst and performance art at best says more about NFL teams than just about anything you can imagine. These reports reflect reality: NFL teams might hire Fisher because teams have hired Fisher in the past and because teams hire coaches who are like Fisher all the time. John Fox is tolerable when he’s riding Peyton Manning to a Super Bowl, but he can’t make a team better than it should be.

The same can be said of Chuck Pagano, who was acceptable when Andrew Luck was dragging him to an AFC title game but whose lone contribution to the progress of the sport was a fake punt so funny it is one of the most memorable plays of the decade. The CBS report says Fisher wants one more shot because his career ended on a sour note in Los Angeles. Fisher’s last winning season occurred during the second term of George W. Bush, in 2008. Sour notes don’t last a decade. That’s just a bad song.

When we talk about the quarterback crisis in the NFL, we are mostly talking about Fisher and those like him—conservative and unimaginative coaches who actively harm the sport. The careers of players like Mitchell Trubisky hang in the balance, at the mercy of who the Bears hire this offseason. But that’s not all that’s at stake: Quality of play matters to NFL ratings, so bad coaching is not just a self-inflicted wound for a team. It sucks for everyone who likes the sport.

It’s not clear any of the teams that Fisher is “eyeing” are eyeing him back, but they should all shut the curtains and move to another room. Ultimately, there’s probably a system of checks and balances against a team hiring Fisher. He’s become enough of a national punchline that if word leaked he was even interviewing with a team, there’d likely be a fan revolt.

An unconfirmed rumor of Fisher being a candidate at UCLA sent fans into a tailspin. On the other hand, NFL teams have made so many obviously disastrous hires—Eric Mangini to the Browns, Lovie Smith to the Bucs, etc.—that we just cannot trust their judgment.

When I pointed out last month that two of Fisher’s quarterbacks last season, Jared Goff and Case Keenum, are now powering high-octane offenses, former NFL quarterback Dan Orlovsky tweeted an explanation at me: “Archaic offensive schemes,” Orlovsky said. “‘Hey let’s call this play, maybe it’ll work’?” The plays, of course, did not work.

For the sake of the sport, the Fishers of the world need to be kept out and the Sean McVays of the world—smart, creative, adaptive—need to be let in. When the Rams hired him this past spring, McVay was seen as a wild card because of his lack of experience.

Instead, he essentially fixed Jared Goff and created a really cool offense that controls defenses by going uptempo despite not being a prototypical “spread” offense and that finds ways to get playmakers the ball in space. This is not to say that all new coaches need to be in their early 30s, as McVay is, but they do need to have a sense of what the sport has become: fast, efficient, and quarterback-driven.

If this really is going to happen, the NFL should spruce up the Bears-Browns snoozefest by making the loser hire Fisher. NFL ratings crisis solved. From a football perspective, Fisher would make the most sense for the Browns, since seven wins (which Fisher achieved in three of his four full seasons with the Rams) would be an upgrade for Cleveland, which has won seven games exactly once in its past 10 seasons.

Beyond Fisher, this offseason will say plenty about how teams across the league view quarterback development. It’s not that teams looking for a new coach must hire quarterback gurus as head coaches—Ben McAdoo and Hue Jackson were supposedly brilliant offensive minds who then, uh, struggled to implement their ideas in the head-coaching position—but teams at least need a good support system in place.

The Eagles surrounded Carson Wentz with former quarterbacks Doug Pederson and Frank Reich; the Rams hired McVay; the Vikings, despite being coached by defensive wizard Mike Zimmer, built a great supporting cast around Keenum and found creative ways for him to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers.

Fisher and his ilk are not the problem. They’re just symptoms of a total lack of creativity and flexibility across the league despite the sport changing quicker than ever due to liberated passing rules, spread offenses in college and high school, and players that are more athletic than ever.

Fisher himself had many chances to create a modern NFL team and every time, well ...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
McGinnis is trying his best to sell Fisher's ass off to any NFL team that will listen. He's praying that anyone will hire him.

That's because Fisher is the only one who will hire McGinnis. It's his only hope.

I swear... when I watched Hard Knocks and the season play out last year. It looked like McGinnis' only job was to follow Fish around and be his Yes Man.

I doubt they find NFL coaching jobs again... but you never know what the Browns might do.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher should have started having winning seasons three years ago.

He wasted three years of fans time.

Regardless of anything else, that alone is cause to nullify the good draft picks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He's not wrong. Last regime added a ton of talent. There's lots of threads showing that.

Only thing I laughed at was how crappy this article was.

As coaches their job was to coach players and help the GM pinpoint draft targets. The defense is playing better at this point and the offense is miles better. So as coaches they failed, and that is the area that mattered most. Snead is the GM.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
That article that says don't fire Fisher, screams Hire Mike Martz to me

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They did a good job on the defensive side of the ball as well as getting in some of our special teams aces.

But while they did bring in a couple of the principles on offense (namely Goff and Gurley), they utterly failed at coaching those guys up, and did a terrible job with the O-Line. On top of that, the WR corps was a mess and the previous regime gets virtually no credit for the top 4 guys, Woods, Watkins, Kupp and Reynolds. So, maybe McGinnis shouldn't toot his and Fisher's horn too much, because it was those offensive failures on their part that left us 4-12 last year. And it was McVay's ability (along with his much superior offensive staff) to coach these guys up and implement an offensive scheme that post-dates the Paleolithic era that has this team at 10 wins with 2 games to go.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
So from the announcing booth in Tennessee Dave McGinnis was able to sign Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan, cut GRob, trade for Watkins, draft Everett, Kupp, and bring in Woods, switch to a 3-4, sign webster and NRC, switch Joyner to safety, navigate the AD holdout intact, switche Brockers to end, and give Goff the confidence to play, plus revive Gurley's hunger for football... ...

Impressive

Kudos to Dave McGinnis

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'll give Fisher credit for putting some Talent on this team for sure. Whether it was him or Snead we will never know. But Jeff Fisher's downfall was not knowing how to coach up young Talent. Or put the proper coaches in place to get the most out of his guys and that's what a good head coach is supposed to do. You can pick the best people in the world but if you can't coach them up what difference does it make?