My rant that I'm not going to debate or comment on.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I've been consistent with regards to Schotty. In my opinion he's a pretty mediocre OC. But he's not the sole reason this offense is bad. O Line is the biggest issue right now. Joseph gets blown up on every damn play. Wells is finished. And I'm starting to think that maybe Barksdale's best position is swing tackle.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm just putting it out there. Tired of the Schotty bashing. We don't have any idea if execution was the problem more than the play-calling last night. There were instances where receivers were wide open and never even got a look. There were instances where one block would have freed a big run, and for all we know there were instances where checking out of a play would have been the right thing to do, and was the wrong thing to do.

Sometimes you just get beat by a good defense. How does a team like the Raiders go in and beat up K.C., and SF and then lay a goose egg to the Rams? Is it because Greg Olson is a bad offensive coordinator (we know that's not the case), or is it because the Rams' defense got it the hell done? He doesn't have a ton to work with over there either, but I'm sure it's all his fault too. Everybody seems to love Darrell Bevell, but why couldn't he make the adjustments against us when we put the smack down on the Seahawks? Is he a crappy coach then, and a great one when they win?

Answer: Yes, according to conventional wisdom.

Getting kinda tired of all the (pick a play) complaints about the offense that result in a complete bashing of the coordinator and a call for his termination. How many coordinators can trot out a has-been and a never-was at QB (and I say that most affectionately) without their top receiver, with a rookie RB and LT, against great defenses, and pull out a win? That's commonplace? The hell was wrong with Adam Gase when the Broncos came to town? 5th ranked scoring offense in the league, and they only score once? Was it his stupid idea to draw up plays that kept them out of our endzone? Is it also Schotty's fault when they take enormous leads in a game and end up losing? Do we even know how much influence Fisher has over his scheme when they get those leads? Anyone ever hear anything about that? No. Nor have I. So it's kind of presumptuous to say it's Schotty's fault that they don't make adjustments. For all you know, he's being told to rein it in.

Easy enough to look around the league, see a big score on a scoreboard and say that's how it's done, and we should be doing the same. He freaking tried everything last night. Sweeps, bubble screens, zone busters, pitches, draws, posts, hooks, slants, picks, 9's, and nothing worked because the O-line didn't hold up or open holes, and the QB didn't see the pressure or the open receivers much of the time. And that's not even entirely THEIR fault. Did you see all the stunts and blitzes drawn up that typically work for us when we use them too? It was a defensive battle that we probably win half the time if the same exact game is played 10 times in a row. We just came out on the wrong end of this one. Arians isn't going to call his offensive game plan much different when they play a weaker team and are able to score, and neither will we. Plans work when execution is on point. Plans don't when execution isn't. The team that executes better during a game typically wins. That's just (IMO) all there is to it.

/rant.

(y)

Thank you sir.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
X you know i respect you however i find this post very self righteous. It feels as though you are saying those of us who dont lile shotty have no reason to yours is the only opinion and if we do have a difference of opinion as stated in the title you will not even regard it with a response. Not your best post my friend

Ramatik

Starter
All those years of bad players and bad execution in NY and now 3 more of the same in St. Louis. Poor Brian Shottenheimer, just can't catch a break...

Yeah, list for me those great teams. I'd like to hear about all of the success they have had without him.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
@rams24/7 like this post x1000

Joseph and Wells have to be upgraded. Only time we seemed to be able to run were a couple of cutbacks to the right were Barksdale collapsed and off tackle left... Nothing on either side of Wells. I mean nothing.

Imo we are 3 players away... THREE! QB, C, LG.

One can argue, and I would, that we could return all starters on defense next year and we'd be fine; not to mention many have significant room to grow still. The depth at DL, CB, and S is great. We could use a talented young LB, but Dunbar rarely sees the field anymore as Barron is essentially the OLB on many downs.

On O I think Britt/Quick/Bailey/Tavon is a good WR corps, but we don't NEED an early round WR (although I wouldn't be mad either). RB depth is solid although I wish Zac got more carries. Mason is explosive but his non-explosive runs are less productive than Zac. If Lance & Harkey return we're set at TE. And I'm cool with GRob, Saffold, and Barks as starters. Bring back Sam and Hill.

We no longer have too many holes to address in one offseason. The qualitative numbers may not be there after 3 years (8-8 at best), but we as Rams fans who watch every game, know this 2014 Rams team is much better than the 2012 Rams.

My ideal offseason to fix our O:

1. QB: Draft future QB. Restructure Sam. Resign Hill.
2. OG: Draft athletic freak, with power and athleticism (something we've lacked on the interior). I love AJ Cann.
3. C: Cut Wells. Sign Wisniewski in FA

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
X you know i respect you however i find this post very self righteous. It feels as though you are saying those of us who don't like Schotty have no reason to yours is the only opinion and if we do have a difference of opinion as stated in the title you will not even regard it with a response. Not your best post my friend

I think he's just trying to give his 2 cents w/o having an extensive argument over the topic. Schotty is very much like Bradford where Ram fans either fall on one side of the fence or the others. We could spend days analyzing Schotty and arguments can be made for both sides, but at the end of the day X can't force Schotty bashers/non-believers to change their opinions.

But that's just how I interpreted it :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X you know i respect you however i find this post very self righteous. It feels as though you are saying those of us who dont lile shotty have no reason to yours is the only opinion and if we do have a difference of opinion as stated in the title you will not even regard it with a response. Not your best post my friend
Nah, that's not the case. I'm just stating my opinion and staying out of the debate. Let me make this perfectly clear, because it's a universal truth. Everyone who has an opinion feels theirs is the correct one, so I'm no different than the next shlub who comes in and says Schotty is awful and he's the reason for our offensive woes. And now I'm out of my own thread again. Just wanted to clear up that misunderstanding. Y'all can debate the virtues of Schotty all you want.

I already know I'm right, so there's no need for me to engage. :whistle:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The important thing to keep in mind... I've seen no indication whatsoever that Fisher shares the opinion certain Internet Rams fans have on Schottenheimer, so I would be surprised to see him fired next year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, list for me those great teams. I'd like to hear about all of the success they have had without him.

See this used all the time, but given that even the Rams have had limited success on offense (and overall) since Martz left, surely one can see that it's possible that one questionable to bad situation can be followed by another or multiple questionable to bad situations.

By no means should that give the first anything to stick it's chest out at, IMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Long overdue.

Bashing anyone, over and over with numerous posts a week, isn't what this board is about.

As I've said before. Shotty isn't the problem.
He's not even a problem.

WvuIN02

Starter
By this logic, almost every OC would be infallible or unfireable. This guy has been in the league for a long time, he rode one of the top defenses in the NFL in NY and we see how much better Sanchez is without him in Philly......and its been the same ole same ole in St. Louis. Sorry, but mentioning the one time the Broncos offense struggled is just that.........and this is the kicker....it was OUTSIDE THE NORM. When an offense here under him puts up huge numbers it's guess what......yep, outside the norm......

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Last night they were in an abyss they couldn't get out of. The defense did a good job keeping Arizona out of the endzone but gave up many big plays which stalled around the 50. That played into FP and really fucked the offense.

You guys complaining about JET SWEEP MOAR. Simple football...you don't do a damn jet sweep when you're inside your own 15. Same with reverses, screens, etc. You run to get some breathing room before getting your playbook out.

Plus, Arizona played well on defense too.

No one cared about Schotty last couple weeks. 1 loss and it's back to blaming the OC.

Angry Ram

By this logic, almost every OC would be infallible or unfireable. This guy has been in the league for a long time, he rode one of the top defenses in the NFL in NY and we see how much better Sanchez is without him in Philly......and its been the same ole same ole in St. Louis. Sorry, but mentioning the one time the Broncos offense struggled is just that.........and this is the kicker....it was OUTSIDE THE NORM. When an offense here under him puts up huge numbers it's guess what......yep, outside the norm......

Mark Sanchez is the same turnover prone QB we saw in NY. He's played in only 6 games and already has 7 INTs.

And the Jets actually got WORSE when Schotty left. Yeah, blame the OC.

Redskins fans hated Kyle Shanahan. Called him a daddy's boy, wanted him gone all year. Now look what's doing in Cleveland while Washington is still the fucking joke of the league.

Ramatik

Starter
See this used all the time, but given that even the Rams have had limited success on offense (and overall) since Martz left, surely one can see that it's possible that one questionable to bad situation can be followed by another or multiple questionable to bad situations.

By no means should that give the first anything to stick it's chest out at, IMO.
Nah brother. I don't think anybody can be given a free pass over this team, nor be puffing out the chest. However, I've always thought that changing thongs all the time leads to failure and mediocrity. I can't grade a guy who doesn't have the tools.

WvuIN02

Starter
The only years his offense did crap in NY, their defense was number 1 and number 3 in those two years. Its hilarious how blind some people are.

These are his offensive rankings for his entire freaking career.

2006: 25th
2007: 26th
2008: 16th
2009: 20th
2010: 11th
2011: 25th
2012: 23rd
2013: 30th
2014: 27th

Still got those blue and gold blinders on??? Again, even with the decent ones in that list..... they had the Jets top ranked defense to sit on. The Jets would won a couple of SBs probably if their offense was remotely decent under him, and he's done absolutely nothing noteworthy here either.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I think last night's game brings more scrutiny because it not only was a loss, but a divisional loss that killed our slim playoff chances. On top of that, the Cardinals are perceived as pretty much a mirror of the Rams. Backup QB, suspect o-line, great D. So why did the Cards offense limit the Ram's ability to pressure the QB and run for over a hundred yards, while the Rams offense was stuck in idle the majority of the night? For his career, I agree that he's categorized like Bradford. Schotty is the head of a group that has been below average since he took over, so he gets lumped in the "bad" group, no matter the details. Why Fisher escapes the same grouping? I'm not sure, other than he's a good interview.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The only years his offense did crap in NY, their defense was number 1 and number 3 in those two years. Its hilarious how blind some people are.

Still got those blue and gold blinders on??? Again, even with the decent ones in that list..... they had the Jets top ranked defense to sit on. The Jets would won a couple of SBs probably if their offense was remotely decent under him, and he's done absolutely nothing noteworthy here either.
I'd like to see Martz numbers after he left the Rams.
I doubt they're very good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like an OC that realizes that play action on 3rd and 1 only works when you actually RUN THE BALL on 3rd and 1 most of the time.
A play action draw would probably fool everybody.
Of course it would likely fool Wells as well and he'd snap the ball in to the ground

Angry Ram

The irony of this post, is that you claim that people are blind that don't automatically go to blaming the OC after every loss.

It's not "blinders" either. It's recognizing that blaming the OC after a loss is tired and often times not even merited.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The irony of this post, is that you claim that people are blind that don't automatically go to blaming the OC after every loss.

It's not "blinders" either. It's recognizing that blaming the OC after a loss is tired and often times not even merited.
This. Plus the performance of the offense as a whole doesn't really reliably measure OC quality, just as it can't be used to measure a QB in a vacuum either.