My rant that I'm not going to debate or comment on.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm just putting it out there. Tired of the Schotty bashing. We don't have any idea if execution was the problem more than the play-calling last night. There were instances where receivers were wide open and never even got a look. There were instances where one block would have freed a big run, and for all we know there were instances where checking out of a play would have been the right thing to do, and was the wrong thing to do.

Sometimes you just get beat by a good defense. How does a team like the Raiders go in and beat up K.C., and SF and then lay a goose egg to the Rams? Is it because Greg Olson is a bad offensive coordinator (we know that's not the case), or is it because the Rams' defense got it the hell done? He doesn't have a ton to work with over there either, but I'm sure it's all his fault too. Everybody seems to love Darrell Bevell, but why couldn't he make the adjustments against us when we put the smack down on the Seahawks? Is he a shitty coach then, and a great one when they win?

Answer: Yes, according to conventional wisdom.

Getting kinda tired of all the (pick a play) complaints about the offense that result in a complete bashing of the coordinator and a call for his termination. How many coordinators can trot out a has-been and a never-was at QB (and I say that most affectionately) without their top receiver, with a rookie RB and LT, against great defenses, and pull out a win? That's commonplace? The hell was wrong with Adam Gase when the Broncos came to town? 5th ranked scoring offense in the league, and they only score once? Was it his stupid idea to draw up plays that kept them out of our endzone? Is it also Schotty's fault when they take enormous leads in a game and end up losing? Do we even know how much influence Fisher has over his scheme when they get those leads? Anyone ever hear anything about that? No. Nor have I. So it's kind of presumptuous to say it's Schotty's fault that they don't make adjustments. For all you know, he's being told to rein it in.

Easy enough to look around the league, see a big score on a scoreboard and say that's how it's done, and we should be doing the same. He freaking tried everything last night. Sweeps, bubble screens, zone busters, pitches, draws, posts, hooks, slants, picks, 9's, and nothing worked because the O-line didn't hold up or open holes, and the QB didn't see the pressure or the open receivers much of the time. And that's not even entirely THEIR fault. Did you see all the stunts and blitzes drawn up that typically work for us when we use them too? It was a defensive battle that we probably win half the time if the same exact game is played 10 times in a row. We just came out on the wrong end of this one. Arians isn't going to call his offensive game plan much different when they play a weaker team and are able to score, and neither will we. Plans work when execution is on point. Plans don't when execution isn't. The team that executes better during a game typically wins. That's just (IMO) all there is to it.

/rant.

Ramatik

Starter
Good stuff. I actually am starting to like Shotty. The players as a group did not execute very well. I think the line and Hill had a rough go of it. I'm not sure what any coach can do except go through the growing pains and keep working it. I know that I've seen a big difference from last year to this. All the talk on TV the last couple of weeks would tell you this.

MrMotes

Starter
All those years of bad players and bad execution in NY and now 3 more of the same in St. Louis. Poor Brian Shottenheimer, just can't catch a break...

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Imo when I grade Schotty these past 2 years I give him an incomplete grade for two reasons:

1. He has had 7 games with his #1 QB and 17 with back ups. Back ups who are turnover prone, lack arm strength, lack accuracy, lack the ability to read the blitz, etc. All 3 back ups have been average in their BEST performances and below average in their worst performances. Hill threw balls high, low, behind, wide, and sailed some last night. An above average QB (not even elite) would have won us that game last night in spite of our OL.

2. OL. Davin Joseph is just putrid. Wells is not much better. Against good teams they are really exposed. We need to upgrade those positions in the draft and FA, as they are our only glaring weaknesses outside of QB. We couldn't set up the pass with the run because we couldn't run.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I'm just torn now. Great cases are made to keep him and get rid of him. I really don't know anymore. Packers and Colts fans should be grateful they never have to worry about any of their QBs getting hurt. We can't catch a break.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Without a solid QB and a consistent OL it is hard to succeed in the NFL. I think that schotty needs a solid ofense from OL to QB before we can fairly assess him. Qb play was terrible yesterday and the OL didn't help things. We have came a long way the second half of the year and there is lots to be optistic about.
Fair post X

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@rams24/7 like this post x1000

Joseph and Wells have to be upgraded. Only time we seemed to be able to run were a couple of cutbacks to the right were Barksdale collapsed and off tackle left... Nothing on either side of Wells. I mean nothing.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Thank you @-X- that's why ^ I've been a mainstay here since 2010 by way of your friendly recommendation.

Rock on Bro!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
All those years of bad players and bad execution in NY and now 3 more of the same in St. Louis. Poor Brian Shottenheimer, just can't catch a break...

And they've done so well without him :rolleyes:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm just putting it out there. Tired of the Schotty bashing. We don't have any idea if execution was the problem more than the play-calling last night. There were instances where receivers were wide open and never even got a look. There were instances where one block would have freed a big run, and for all we know there were instances where checking out of a play would have been the right thing to do, and was the wrong thing to do.

Sometimes you just get beat by a good defense. How does a team like the Raiders go in and beat up K.C., and SF and then lay a goose egg to the Rams? Is it because Greg Olson is a bad offensive coordinator (we know that's not the case), or is it because the Rams' defense got it the hell done? He doesn't have a ton to work with over there either, but I'm sure it's all his fault too. Everybody seems to love Darrell Bevell, but why couldn't he make the adjustments against us when we put the smack down on the Seahawks? Is he a crappy coach then, and a great one when they win?

Had me from the start. No way do I pin that game on Schotty. I saw what he had to work with and what had to happen. It was clear we had to win that one through the air. We threw every run play in the book at them. Jet sweep, wrap, power, pitch, ALL OF IT besides getting into bullcrap like the Wild Cat. It HAD to be done through the air and we weren't getting the protection Hill needed to read the D. And on top of that, Hill missed so many reads and passes combined. He just was not on his game at all, it happens. He got Britt lit up by throwing a ball way too high, he missed on pretty much all his throws over 12 yards but was fortunate his receivers came down with them some of the time. His throw to Bailey was behind. Bailey had all his momentum going to the inside and had to try to come back to the inside. Hills release point was too low on several plays that lead to an unusual amount of batted balls forh im. He was staring down targets in critical moment

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm guilty of bashing him for sure. It's more because I'm sick of shitty offense. But we have put up a lot of points this year. Our Oline is the problem. It all starts up front. I know Schotty can get it done. No point in changing. Our team already knows the system.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
No one person ever deserves the blame for an entire unit. Every point you make is valid, as per the yoozh. I try not to criticize The Schott too often, but there is plenty of blame to go around, and he deserves his share. He is, IMO, an average play caller. We could probably do much worse. What I think he lacks is an ability to use the weapons he has to their greatest potential. I can't quantify that, it is just my personal thinking. Ultimately your main point is also the root cause of the issue. Execution HAS to be there for any play to work.

Athos

Legend
At best he's an enigma because he hasn't had Sam to work with as much as we'd like and Snisher dealt him the wimpy joker cards of Joseph and Wells.

At the same time, however, I view Shotty like I view Mizzou's OCs over the years. They get stuck doing one thing, and that one thing is the exact opposite of what had been working all game. Or he doesn't fully utilize the weapons he has correctly.

My problem is still his utilization of Austin more than anything. Sick to death of faking it to him 95% of the time or waiting until the 4th QTR to actually use him.

The 8th overall just has to be used more.

And he burned ARZ with the RB screen once or twice......then stopped it.

The man just doesn't make any logical sense during games half the time.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
One thing I will say though is that double reverse was fucking genius. He couldn't have called that at a better time.

bskrilla

Starter
100% agree. The fast-and-loose way people switch back and forth between thinking someone is great versus thinking they are terrible drives me crazy. And it's not just with Shotty either. After a win everyone thinks we're world-beaters and after a loss people start calling for heads. Gotta ease up off the emotional reactions to losing and look at things a little more rationally.

I'll follow that up with my only real critique of his game yesterday. Not sure I understand NOT handing the ball off to Tavon a single time until the 4th quarter. Last week the announcers were saying that Shotty was saying they want to get Tavon 2-4 touches per quarter.

I'm sure situations dictate his usage, but I find it hard to believe there were ZERO situations where he could have gotten some use before he did.

Memphis Ram

Legend

@MrMotes It was the same with Haslett on the Real Rams Fans forum. Remember?

Unlike Haslett whom many defended back then, I don't believe that Schottenhiemer is a bad offensive coordinator. But, I do question his play calling and what appears to be not accounting for the strengths and weaknesses of his talent.

I mean if you know that your C and RG have been struggling and Saffold has been playing with a bum shoulder, why continue to call plays that helps to expose them? Wells and Joseph weren't going to move anybody on that Cardinals team off the line of scrimmage, but he keep slamming Mason right into them. And Tavon.....nevermind.

Anyway, again I don't believe that he's a bad OC. I just believe that he is the wrong guy for this team.

Rainram

Starter
I'm okay with Schotty. Was very skeptical when he first came on board. And while I don't think he is top notch by any means, I do not want to replace him right now. He stays.
But in the words of an old buddy from Alaska...'Fix The OLine!'