Mundt & Funk out for year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Report: Rams sign RB Buddy Howell to active roster​

95eef50d4cc449368f377a5011eb9b8e.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

October 19, 2021 8:30 am PT

Sean McVay told reporters Monday that Jake Funk tore his hamstring against the Giants and will miss the rest of the season. The Rams had just two other running backs on the 53-man roster, but they didn’t waste much time filling Funk’s spot.

According to Houston reporter Aaron Wilson, the Rams are signing Buddy Howell to the active roster from their practice squad. The move won’t be made official until Los Angeles places Funk on injured reserve to create a roster spot, but Howell is on his way to being promoted.

The Rams signed Howell to their practice squad in September, just before Week 1. He’s remained there ever since, providing the Rams with running back depth if needed behind Darrell Henderson Jr., Sony Michel and Funk. The Rams promoted him to the game-day roster in Weeks 3 and 4, but he was limited to only playing special teams.

Howell is a bigger back, standing 6-foot-1 and 213 pounds, now in his fourth season. He has 21 career carries for 74 yards, all with his former team, the Texans.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't particularly care for Chatarius Atwell playing on special teams. So far, he's been an average punt returner and a poor kickoff returner, although I will say that he shows good things. I look at him as a project deep threat for when Jackson inevitably leaves in free agency/gets hurt, and thus far, Skowronek has gotten more chances to catch his first NFL reception rather than Atwell.

Understandable, but rather than using roster space on an unknown like Hawkins, I'd rather get some use out of Atwell, even if it's only him throwing his hand in the air. At least he has sure hands.
jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Understandable, but rather than using roster space on an unknown like Hawkins, I'd rather get some use out of Atwell, even if it's only him throwing his hand in the air. At least he has sure hands.
jmo.

Very much true. Atwell does have reliable hands (which makes him a solid punt returner) but I worry about him on kick returns. If we're going to use someone on kick returns, why not someone who's actually done it?

But it's a moot point; they already brought up Howell. I'm hoping for the absolute best with him; I just don't see it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jmo.
I'm fine with Tutu's performance on teams. My main worry with him was ball security, given that he hadn't done a lot of returns in college.

Also while he hasn't made good returns yet our blocking hasn't been too good either. Guy like him if you give him a seam and he sees it I have to think it's a field flip at the least. So maybe he's got some big returns in his future.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Jesus H Christ. Funk didn't take long did he. :violin:

So effin tired of RB injuries.

One thing that will help some at least, is if the Rams stop exclusively drafting ‘smallish’ RB’s. I get Funk is not smallish….

Okay….flame on.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm fine with Tutu's performance on teams. My main worry with him was ball security, given that he hadn't done a lot of returns in college.

Also while he hasn't made good returns yet our blocking hasn't been too good either. Guy like him if you give him a seam and he sees it I have to think it's a field flip at the least. So maybe he's got some big returns in his future.

He just gets chopped down too easily on teams. I've always felt that if we're going to go with returns I'd rather someone be able to make someone miss, and Atwell doesn't make anyone miss.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that will help some at least, is if the Rams stop exclusively drafting ‘smallish’ RB’s. I get Funk is not smallish….

Okay….flame on.
I'm with you on that. McVay and Snead seem to prefer the smallish types who can affect the pass/run games but I'm definitely a fan of the power back. In fact I think McVay's offense is better with a power runner in the backfield because his offense's biggest weakness since he took over, year to year, has been its finesse identity.

This year that might change in the playoffs. Our line is moving folks. But I still worry that we'll be pass happy so hopefully that run game keeps maturing and getting better to where McVay will trust it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He just gets chopped down too easily on teams. I've always felt that if we're going to go with returns I'd rather someone be able to make someone miss, and Atwell doesn't make anyone miss.
True. But I do like that when nothing is there he will put his head down and take what's there. I'm happy with a returner though as long as I don't get that feeling they're gonna cough the ball up. Tavon I was shitting my pants every time he returned one. Tutu I'm relaxed and for me that's a big deal. Low standards I guess with returners. :laugh4:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm with you on that. McVay and Snead seem to prefer the smallish types who can affect the pass/run games but I'm definitely a fan of the power back. In fact I think McVay's offense is better with a power runner in the backfield because his offense's biggest weakness since he took over, year to year, has been its finesse identity.

This year that might change in the playoffs. Our line is moving folks. But I still worry that we'll be pass happy so hopefully that run game keeps maturing and getting better to where McVay will trust it.

When will our Steven Jackson clone be of age ?

Memento

Name
Jemma
True. But I do like that when nothing is there he will put his head down and take what's there. I'm happy with a returner though as long as I don't get that feeling they're gonna cough the ball up. Tavon I was shitting my pants every time he returned one. Tutu I'm relaxed and for me that's a big deal. Low standards I guess with returners. :laugh4:

Pharoh gave me that relaxed, yet excited feeling as well...but then he coughed it up in Atlanta. Eventually, every punt/kick returner muffs once.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
When will our Steven Jackson clone be of age ?
Sony Michel works for me. I like his running style. Like to see him get more carries. Give the oline a chance to just push the D around. Keep Henderson fresher.

Also like to see more of both Henderson and Michel early to get the O going. Seems to me it's a bit tough to get the downfield passing game in rhythm right out of the box. Mix it up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sony Michel works for me. I like his running style. Like to see him get more carries. Give the oline a chance to just push the D around. Keep Henderson fresher.

Also like to see more of both Henderson and Michel early to get the O going. Seems to me it's a bit tough to get the downfield passing game in rhythm right out of the box. Mix it up.

I definitely like both our current RB's as well as Akers, so hopefully Sony extends with us during the off-season and Akers comes back at 100%, ... what a dilemma that will create. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Howell might add, this should be interesting.
My comment on Steven Jackson was just a response to Merlin's quest for a true power runner. I can only imagine how SJ might perform behind our OL.
jmo.

Tano

Legend
I was just listening to Boomer and another guy talk about how terrible that field is.

And sure enough - two season ending injuries at that field.

They are going to change to a grass field next year.

Not soon enough. They need to tear it up now on their two weeks away from Giant stadium.

oldnotdead

Legend
Howell has decent field vision to see the holes and enough acceleration to exploit them. He runs with decent power and can get 10-15 yds on occasion. Howell has decent hands for those necessary dump-off passes. He's a workmanlike RB, not flashy, just a grinder. In that regard he's like Michel though not as fast or quick. Right now he looks like a solid signing off the wire. It's a long season so Michel and Howell are the kinds of RBs that a team needs to move the chains.

I think McVay needs to get off his fixation of having a single do-all bell cow RB. If that's what he wants then Michel is that guy. He's a better pass protector, good receiver and has the speed to get chunk yardage inside or out. Henderson is a slashing type of RB with breakaway speed. But if you need a move the chains guy then Michel is exactly what you want.

Having Michel and Howell, Sean has the RBs to finish out the game to kill the clock. Once the game is no longer in doubt sit Henderson and play his grinders to move the chains while running out the clock. I actually like Howell better than Xavier Jones. Buddy is bigger and faster and he's the kind of RB that you can see a clear role for.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Howell has some actual NFL experience and is a RB, not an FB. I just don’t see Mason as a backup RB fit.

Howell may be fine, I certainly hope so.
I like big Ben Mason because of his well known blocking capabilities, it's his specialty, and with both Mundt & Funk no longer available, Mason could function as a short yardage HB, a blocking TE, as well as a special teams demon. Howell will get special teams play, beyond that, unless there is another injury, I'm not sure how much further use he might be at the moment.
jmo.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I was just listening to Boomer and another guy talk about how terrible that field is.

And sure enough - two season ending injuries at that field.

They are going to change to a grass field next year.

Not soon enough. They need to tear it up now on their two weeks away from Giant stadium.
They will be lucky not to be sued in the meantime. In legal terms it is a foreseeable risk, they knew they needed to fix it, and they didn't do so in a timely fashion.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They will be lucky not to be sued in the meantime. In legal terms it is a foreseeable risk, they knew they needed to fix it, and they didn't do so in a timely fashion.
NFL looked at it last year after early season complaints. Lots of anecdotal stuff.. no data I’ve seen to back it up.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Giants have been a crap franchise since just before Eli left. Now I remember the Whiner's complaints in the news. Good to know they're finally fixing that shit field, but yeah I agree not soon enough. They could've done it during the offseason, those dumbasses. May not be likely but I hope they lose lawsuits.