Mundt & Funk out for year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you wanna be first to post bring the LINK's please
iu
fat bastard yes sir GIF

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Shame about both Mundt and Funk. They were both great on special teams, and it's going to be hard to replace Mundt's blocking, in particular.

Personally, I'd bring up Blanton (as has been mentioned) and Javian Hawkins. I know that you normally want a bigger back like Howell, but Hawkins is very dynamic and could be a solid kick returner. He broke Louisville's record for rushing yards by a running back, which is pretty impressive.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO they will simply activate Buddy Howell, who has been brought up twice already. He's a decent STs player. Think of him as a bigger, faster version of Malcolm Brown. He's got good speed for a 6'2", 225 lbs running a 4.5. If he was an ILB you would say he has excellent speed. But as a RB it's average. My point is, simply if he can break tackles on inside runs he can get decent yardage. Also, he's got decent hands as a dump-off, short pass option, with enough speed to get some YAC.

This has to give McVay some pause and I see more rotation between Sony and Darrell. Michel is the best 3rd down pass blocking RB the Rams have. The Rams are still in good shape with Harris and Hopkins at TE. Mundt doesn't project to be on the roster next year so the Rams are simply going with their 2022 TE depth chart. Harris already has a passing connection with Stafford and lined up as a 2nd TE he will be covered by a LB. Harris can outrun virtually all LBs. He can be a nasty surprise for the defenses. This next stretch of games is a perfect opportunity to get him some game snaps.

These injuries, though not ideal don't downgrade the offense. Harris could possibly be another downfield threat. WR and TE are probably the two deepest positions on the roster. I think they will call up Tyler Hall who is just as fast as Funk and is a legit SCB. He has experience returning kicks and is their best option there.

This is why I expect Howell and Hall to be the guys they call up. Also, Hall is a Morris "guy" having been on the Falcon's PS.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Definitely hate to see it for both guys.

We are about to find out a lot of what the staff thinks about Brycen Hopkins.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ABSOLUTELY assumed it would primarily be Hopkins.
McVay show yesterday has me seriously questioning that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Shame about both Mundt and Funk. They were both great on special teams, and it's going to be hard to replace Mundt's blocking, in particular.

Personally, I'd bring up Blanton (as has been mentioned) and Javian Hawkins. I know that you normally want a bigger back like Howell, but Hawkins is very dynamic and could be a solid kick returner. He broke Louisville's record for rushing yards by a running back, which is pretty impressive.
I’d go Buddy Howell. Just need a physical presence if the other two guys are out, imo.. and I’m more interested in security than potential at that spot.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Harris could be a nice downfield threat. Doubt any safeties or LB's could keep up with him. But I can't seem him being a second tight end with run plays. I hear he's a willing blocker but he's just not heavy enough to push anyone. I assume he's not quite ready to get some snaps in when the games count for real.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Harris could be a nice downfield threat. Doubt any safeties or LB's could keep up with him. But I can't seem him being a second tight end with run plays. I hear he's a willing blocker but he's just not heavy enough to push anyone. I assume he's not quite ready to get some snaps in when the games count for real.
If Jalen Ramsey can knock over an OG, Harris can block somebody if he's trying.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’d go Buddy Howell. Just need a physical presence if the other two guys are out, imo.. and I’m more interested in security than potential at that spot.

I agree, ... although my first choice would be to steal Ben Mason off the NE Patriots practice squad. Mason is a big Swiss Army knife type who can function well blocking as a TE & HB. As a two for one player he might even allow for a roster opening elsewhere when necessary.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What's different about Harris is he's not a guy who minds getting his hands dirty. He's a great athlete but he will do the work. So I think initially he'll be ok chipping and on plays where he seals backside or just has to impede the tackler. I wouldn't trust him to solo an edge player like Higs does sometimes (where Higs does get beat his share btw) but on the flipside he is an immense threat in the pass game.

But just check Harris' special teams film. He's a mentally tough player and it's just a matter of time.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think that’s backwards.
If a guy like Ramsey blows up a guard.. imagine what they’d do to a lightweight TE.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree, ... although my first choice would be to steal Ben Mason off the NE Patriots practice squad. Mason is a big Swiss Army knife type who can function well blocking as a TE & HB. As a two for one player he might even allow for a roster opening elsewhere when necessary.
jmo.
Fair enough. Howell is a solid ST guy, so he contributes.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What's different about Harris is he's not a guy who minds getting his hands dirty. He's a great athlete but he will do the work. So I think initially he'll be ok chipping and on plays where he seals backside or just has to impede the tackler. I wouldn't trust him to solo an edge player like Higs does sometimes (where Higs does get beat his share btw) but on the flipside he is an immense threat in the pass game.

But just check Harris' special teams film. He's a mentally tough player and it's just a matter of time.
That's what I'm saying. He might struggle at first, but he can do it. Don't solo him up on anybody named Watt or Bosa (or other top rushers) but I'm sure he's not going to be useless as a blocker.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams need to add a RB and there are some good options who know the WCO. Patrick is sitting on the Whiners' PS and knows the offense. Adams has not been picked up that I can see, so is available and has been around a bit to include time with the Eagles as well as the Jets this year in camp so also knows the offense. Both those guys solidify the room IMO.

Hendy is always a dinged up carry waiting to happen. Michel is already dinged up. Here's hoping they make a move to solidify the back end of that room. I'd go with Patrick, I like the power in his game, and I'd be fine with Mason as well btw.

Memento

Name
Jemma

I don't think that Howell can return kicks, though. That's one of the things that Funk brought: the ability to play at all phases of special teams. Hawkins could definitely return kicks.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Harris is heavier than our other WRs who block as if they were part time tight ends. But it requires a set of specific skills that Harris may not have had time to master.

I still expect to see Blanton in the mix. He's a big dude. If you asked Central Casting for a blocking tight end to replace Mundt they would probably send you Blanton.

But maybe McVay and the staff will opt to juice the pass game with Harris, or go with Hopkins who also has receiver skills and has had a year to learn the blocking game.

Or maybe another committee?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think that Howell can return kicks, though. That's one of the things that Funk brought: the ability to play at all phases of special teams. Hawkins could definitely return kicks.

TuTu TuTu TuTu

Memento

Name
Jemma
TuTu TuTu TuTu

I don't particularly care for Chatarius Atwell playing on special teams. So far, he's been an average punt returner and a poor kickoff returner, although I will say that he shows good things. I look at him as a project deep threat for when Jackson inevitably leaves in free agency/gets hurt, and thus far, Skowronek has gotten more chances to catch his first NFL reception rather than Atwell.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what I'm saying. He might struggle at first, but he can do it. Don't solo him up on anybody named Watt or Bosa (or other top rushers) but I'm sure he's not going to be useless as a blocker.
Yeah I was agreeing with you there just didn't word that too well. I do think he'll struggle time to time on his blocks but the good thing with him is he should improve weekly and if he wins enough snaps by making plays then maybe come the playoffs we have a plus weapon out there.

Whereas guys like Blanton and Hopkins you probably get more blocking now but less upside later. So personally those guys at most would be splitting Mundt's snaps with Harris.