Morgan Fox tears ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seriously, what is with all these non-contact ACL tears?

I mean, the Teddy Bridgewater one really looms large, even still, but geez. It's not even like every guy is carrying so much muscle that the joint is over stressed.

I confused.

Yeah I never know if they are happening more often or we just hear about ALL of them now as opposed to 20+ years ago with no internet and the average fan wouldn't get an update on every ACL that ever snapped during the offseason. Your local tv coverage wasn't going to talk about any team not local if it didn't happen to a superstar and even ESPN didn't report them if it wasn't a starter or a team on the east coast.

It would be interesting if someone actually did a study but not sure there'd be enough tangible facts left from an era like the 70s to get a reasonable basis. If they are happening more frequently I'd think you'd have to look at diet/supplements at some point? I don't know, I know there are some antibiotics that can't extremely weaken tendons and relatively fast but it only happens to certain people with certain genetic dispositions. My dad ruptured his Achilles due to that. Makes you wonder if there are supplements some athletes take that can increase likelihood.

That is all conjecture and probably not the case though. Just brain storming for no reason lol. Really, probably just a combination of more speed, more strength, and more weight for most of them. A Bridgewater injury seems like a freak accident.

Either way, they suck. :(

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We have to remember that some talented outside linebacker veteran will get cut when teams go to the 53-man roster.
Hopefully it won't be too expensive of a veteran.
That would be a desperation move but could be necessary.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ams-otas-morgan-fox-torn-acl-injury-practice/

It’s only May, but three players have already torn their ACLs in OTAs. This time, unfortunately, one was a member of the Los Angeles Rams. according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, Rams outside linebacker Morgan Fox suffered a torn ACL in practice Thursday.

#Rams DE Morgan Fox tore his ACL today, source said. Played all 16 games last year, had 2.5 sacks. Another brutal May injury.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 25, 2018

This is a brutal blow for the Rams, who are already thin at outside linebacker. Fox’s season-ending injury comes not long after Sean McVay announced that Ogbonnia Okoronkwo underwent foot surgery and will be out until training camp.

Fox was running with the first-team outside linebackers in practice on Thursday, too, suggesting he was already rising up the depth chart.

Morgan Fox was running with the 1s at OLB when we had access on Monday. @DowntownRams @CVRamsClub

— Joe Curley (@vcsjoecurley) May 25, 2018

Last season, Fox recorded 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks, one safety and a forced fumble, all while playing sparingly on defense. He was more of a role player last season, mostly lining up at defensive end, but the Rams saw him as a versatile piece heading into 2018.

With so much uncertainty at outside linebacker, the 2016 undrafted free agent was likely to contribute a fair amount next season. This isn’t the way the Rams wanted to start their offseason program.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/24/report-rams-defensive-end-morgan-fox-tore-acl/

https://www.pe.com/2018/05/24/rams-morgan-fox-tore-acl-in-practice-according-to-report/

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...s-de-morgan-fox-tears-acl-transactions-roster

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have to remember that some talented outside linebacker veteran will get cut when teams go to the 53-man roster.
Hopefully it won't be too expensive of a veteran.
That would be a desperation move but could be necessary.

Maybe all though seems like they are pretty set on giving the youth a shot. Worst case scenario Connor Barwin is still out there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
WOW! Fox Lost for the Season! This Sucks!!
Yes one serious let down :sadwalk:as you know I was really hyped up about this move for Fox thought it was best for him & best for our defense.

Just in early stages of this season and we have two injuries to our most questionable & concerning position. Our top drafted OSLB'er Okonorkwo breaks foot with surgery & now the knee injury to our second most experienced OLB...gone for the season. We sure could have used that 20 NFL games of experience:palm:

Our most experienced OLB is Longacre with 25 NFL gms & coming off season ending back surgery. Next is 2nd yr 3rd day drafted Samson Ebukam with 16 gms. No other OLB has more than 1 gm experience in the NFL on the roster. I guess I should include Cory Littleton here he is still listed as a OLB. Cory has 32 NFL gms under his belt with 6 starts & 3 or 4 finishes too. But Cory is sure to get plenty of action playing for starter Mark Barron who is still unhealthy. Cory is the same height as Fox & Longacre but is lacking girth. However he played both OLB'er positions in his rookie season for Gregg Williams & held up very well.

It leaves 6th rd rookie Trevon Young & 7th rd rookie Justin Lawler up for reps along with Ejuan Price, Garrett Sickels & rookie UDFA Brian Womac.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Question for those who know more than I do about season ending injuries and the 90 man rosters.

With Fox gone for the season is he still considered to be on the 90 man roster, or will the Rams have to cut someone to make room to sign someone, say like Junior Galette or Connor Barwin?

The reason I'm asking is now we are seriously thin at OLB. Also keep in mind that if we do cut someone it will most likely be from either the DBs or ILBs.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
With Fox gone for the season is he still considered to be on the 90 man roster, or will the Rams have to cut someone to make room to sign someone, say like Junior Galette or Connor Barwin?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/...uts-explaining-pup-nfi-ir-injury-designations

NFL teams are permitted to place any number of players on Injured Reserve. Any player placed on the IR list counts against the salary cap, but not against the roster limit. These players are ineligible to play again for the same team during the current season, but they can be cut and sign with another team. These players may not practice with their team at any time, but can attend team meetings and be around the team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
All the muscles and tendons are built up around the knee and the knee ligaments can't support them. There really isn't any strengthening of the tendons.
Tendons...and ligaments do strengthen...and grow...become more elastic...over time....due to a lack of direct blood flow...one has a poor flow...the other gets it's nutrients through a type of fluid...synovial fluid...
It's one of the true draw backs to chemical enhancement....while the muscle has great flow...will recovery and get significantly stronger...ligaments and tendons are much slower....the load placed on them from muscle is usually not what it's used to...and it pops...

It's why stretching, yoga, bands...that dude Alex Guerrero, that Tom Brady works out with...is all the rage in training...
http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-...-guerrero-workout-routine-tb12-method-2017-12
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/curran-who-alex-guerrero-heres-what-i-know
some people are born with weaker leg ligaments.

Unlike Saffold's shoulders, the repair doesn't make them stronger.
Definitely possible...but his growth and training are more likely culprits...
Again, Fox is another very LARGE man....he has those big ass calves I like as well....pretty good player...this is a huge loss.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...-roster-morgan-fox-aaron-donald-ndamukong-suh

How the defensive line depth chart looks after Los Angeles Rams DE Morgan Fox’s ACL injury
The Rams lost their first player of 2018 to injury. Here’s how things look up front in Foxy’s absence.
By 3k

usa_today_10473131.0.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams lost their first player of 2018 to injury yesterday as DE Morgan Fox was felled with an ACL injury.

With Foxy sidelined for the 2018 regular season, let’s look around the D-line:

Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers
Your starting D-line. How they line up and the rotation? To be seen. I’d expect them to move all over the place for Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips to deny any predictive blocking schemes from the opposition. I suppose we’ll see though.

Oh, and #paytheman.

Dominique Easley, Ethan Westbrooks
The Rams have two veterans to plug in at defensive end in Easley and Westbrooks. Westbrooks signed a one-year extension last September while Easley re-upped on a one-year deal this offseason in free agency. So with both in contract years with plenty to prove, motivation should be high.

Could they offer the kind of backup proficiency the Rams had at 4-3 DE years ago in DE William Hayes and DE Eugene Sims?

Tanzel Smart
Played more than 300 snaps last year. Is he competing with Easley at DE or could he take up snaps inside where DT Tyrunn Walker was the primary backup in 2017?

As a sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft still on his rookie deal, he’s under contract through 2021.

Omarius Bryant
Framed like a NT. Does that give him a leg up? The Rams haven’t brought anyone else in of his stature. Is the staff comfortable with his skill set, or is it a role they’re not envisioning needing?

Sebastian Joseph-Day, McKay Murphy, John Franklin-Myers
Here are the rookies. I’d think Justin Lawler, Brian Womac and Trevon Young are going to work the EDGE instead of play the line despite being listed as defensive ends by the team. As always with late rookie additions, special teams is a factor in their ability to make the roster. Still, we’ll have to see how they look in training camp and the preseason.

Chunky Clements
The Rams just added him this week. Hard to see him making the 53-man roster right now though he would be practice squad-eligible.

With that starting three, any depth is just luxury. But that’s exactly what Fox offered. In his absence, things still look promising. The Easley-Westbrooks combo can soak up rotational snaps. Perhaps a rookie steps up into the regular season mix. All in all, not really anything to complain or worry about.

Which is just a testament to the strength of the unit and the roster overall in 2018.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
This may or may not add to the discussion, but here I go. I blew out my patalla tendon simply from stepping off of a ladder wrong. It's all a blur but what I remember and what my co-workers saw boil down to this. I was on the 2nd step of the ladder, I turned slightly and went to step down. I missed the step, and when the shock force of my quads trying to react it just snapped the tendon. (I was literally only 30 inches obove the floor) The surgeon DR Yao who rocks BTW, freaking awesome guy, explained it to me and said that it's very common for very minor hits, falls, or etc...cause big time injuries because the body is not expecting those forces, and then over reacts.

dang

Legend
It may be time to think about bringing in some help for the OLB/EDGE position. Options:

- Pickup someone available now (e.g. Junior Gallette/Connor Barwin)
- Wait for preseason cuts to pick up a player later
- Bring in another ILB (e.g. Mychal Kendricks) and move a current ILB to OLB (e.g. Cory Littleton)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hear you @dang but I really think Wade has lots of talent to work with and they’re all cheap.

With AD, Cooks, Peters, Gurley and Goff to sign to massive contracts, we’re going to have to figure out where and how to get rooks and 2nd year players to produce.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This may or may not add to the discussion, but here I go. I blew out my patalla tendon simply from stepping off of a ladder wrong. It's all a blur but what I remember and what my co-workers saw boil down to this. I was on the 2nd step of the ladder, I turned slightly and went to step down. I missed the step, and when the shock force of my quads trying to react it just snapped the tendon. (I was literally only 30 inches obove the floor) The surgeon DR Yao who rocks BTW, freaking awesome guy, explained it to me and said that it's very common for very minor hits, falls, or etc...cause big time injuries because the body is not expecting those forces, and then over reacts.
I had a friend tear his miniscus literally changing his bed sheets ... kneeled on the bed an pop .. it’s ridiculous

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm an anatomy guy...structure = function....
There's no structures on the human body, visible to the eye that indicate most of the things necessary to play football. Not that I'm against Fox at all, but big calves aren't as indicative of the ability to play football as say, play recognition, reaction time, and technique. Not everyone can do those things at the same level even with the same physical attributes.

I try not to spend much time examining other dudes' anatomy, not that there's anything wing with that.

I'm more of a performance guy.

Performance=performance

Edit for being less of a douche bag.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
There's no structures on the human body, visible to the eye that indicate most of the things necessary to play football. Not that I'm against Fox at all, but big calves aren't as indicative of the ability to play football as say, play recognition, reaction time, and technique. Not everyone can do those things at the same level even with the same physical attributes.

I try not to spend much time examining other dudes' anatomy.

I'm more of a performance guy.

Performance=performance

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I guess that could be construed as something negative. I should have said, "not that there's anything wing with that."