Morgan Fox tears ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
damnt. No more olb injuries please. Well guess DE. But think they were trying to convert possibly? Not a huge injury but still sucks.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I really like this kid. Always seems to make a play or be around the QB when he gets a chance to play. This will hurt as far as depth and rotation.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Connor, this is Les Snead...*click...hello? hello?"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No bueno at all. More rookies gonna have to step up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sucks, but I guess the only positive out of it is that Fox will get paid. He was going to have to fight hard for his spot this year.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
You've got to be kiddin'. Oddly enough I was for some reason thinking about our DL earlier today and our amazing depth and how a guy like Morgan Fox could really step up for us this year. I liked how Fox played last year even with his limited snaps.
Was thinking that a youngin' like him could really help to keep Donald, Suh and Brockers fresh and rarin' to go in the fourth quarter of games.

Oh well, next man up.

~ArkyRamsFan~

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
damnt. No more olb injuries please. Well guess DE. But think they were trying to convert possibly? Not a huge injury but still sucks.

Dude was working so freaking hard.He is solid Ram!! Hate to see that happen.Udfa DT who was a twiner, but was working his way outside.
Tough break.

Ram65

Legend
These early ACL injuries are kinda freaky. Tough break for the hard working Fox. I thought it would be interesting to see how he would play at OLBer.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Seriously, what is with all these non-contact ACL tears?

I mean, the Teddy Bridgewater one really looms large, even still, but geez. It's not even like every guy is carrying so much muscle that the joint is over stressed.

I confused.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder about conditioning? If you try too hard when not being in top shape, does that make this injury more likely?

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I think the reason for all these non-contact ACL injuries is these guys are in too good shape. All the muscles and tendons are built up around the knee and the knee ligaments can't support them. There really isn't any strengthening of the tendons.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the reason for all these non-contact ACL injuries is these guys are in too good shape. All the muscles and tendons are built up around the knee and the knee ligaments can't support them. There really isn't any strengthening of the tendons.

I generally think that's the case, but it can't be all of it, I don't think.

I mean... Teddy Bridgewater's was so bad, dudes were throwing up on the field. He nearly lost his leg. And he's a super skinny dude.

I think, much like Roger Saffold's shoulders, some people are born with weaker leg ligaments.

Unlike Saffold's shoulders, the repair doesn't make them stronger.

I said after they said about his congenitally weak shoulder tendons that he would be a beast once they were both repaired and he has been. And no shoulder issues at all now.

I wonder if they'll develop a test that can ascertain the limits and if they may develop either a preventative surgery that strengthens the joint or if there'll some sort of gene therapy/stem cell therapy that can target those ligaments/tendons.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...or-non-contact-injuries-occur-in-nfl-workouts

How and Why Non-Contact Injuries Occur in NFL Workouts
DAVE SIEBERT, M.D.

How do these types of injuries occur, and why do they occur? To come up with an answer, let's use some anatomy and a bit of physics to analyze two of the most serious kinds of non-contact injuries: The ACL tear and the Achilles tendon rupture.

Soft-tissue injuries occur when the ligament or tendon in question stretches beyond a critical point, beyond which damage, tearing or rupture occurs. A number of factors determine that critical point, such as flexibility and tensile strength.

Movements that cause injury are tissue-specific. For example, ACL injuries occur when something forces the knee to twist down and inward—one of the types of motion it tries to prevent.

To create the sensation of the ACL limiting such internal rotation, stand with both feet planted on the ground with both sets of toes pointed forward. Then, bring one knee inward and slightly down—toward the body's midline. It can only move so far, largely due to the ACL.

In the case of direct contact ACL injuries, a blow to the outside of the knee is frequently to blame. On the other hand, non-contact ACL injuries often come as a result of a perfect storm of positioning, momentum and direction change. Often, subtle contact elsewhere on the body also plays a significant role.

That said, the relative roles of anatomical and biomechanical factors leading to non-contact ACL tears remains a subject of research. However, some basic anatomical knowledge provides insight into the underlying mechanisms of two recent examples of minimal-to-no contact ACL tears in the NFL.

The GIF below—courtesy of Fox Sports via AOL's Sporting News—makes it clear Sam Bradford's knee did not receive significant contact.

40ee3213bb1b73c9804d4bfa6e9584cb.gif

As shown, a slight nudge to Bradford's side—while he simultaneously turned to his left at least partly on his own accord—created a mismatch between his momentum and the direction his knee faced relative to where his toes pointed. As a result, his knee collapsed inward without direct contact—a moment that becomes painfully clear with the following screenshot.

ee6499088c13ddceeb488216c327c17a_crop_exact.jpg

Immediately after the above moment, Bradford dropped the football seemingly suddenly—possibly a reaction to the onset of extreme knee pain.

In addition to preventing internal over-rotation of the knee, the ACL also keeps the lower leg from moving forward with respect to the thigh.

Knee hyperextensions—or over-straightening, leading to a bending of the leg in the opposite direction—can cause the lower leg to shift forward with respect to the thigh. If it does so suddenly and sharply enough, the ACL may not be able to keep up.

A number of scenarios—such as landing from a leap onto a forcefully straightened leg—can result in a knee hypertension and ACL injury. Hyperextensions can also damage other knee ligaments.

Elsewhere, sudden stops, plants and cuts may injure the ACL if the momentum and direction imbalance mentioned in the previous section results. For example, running forward and planting the right foot—with the toes pointed to the right—before attempting to cut to the left can cause the injury.

Despite the relative safety of non-contact OTAs, injuries remain a threat. Relative deconditioning may play a role in some, while a combination of unfortunate positioning and bad luck reigns supreme in others. Regardless, whenever a motion, plant or cut stretches tissue beyond its capacity, a sprain or strain becomes a possibility.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That fucking sucks! I was rooting for him to start. I love his energy. Damn!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not good some pundits (Cowherd) have predicted the Rams were very fortunate to avoid the injury bug last season and odds are, it will bite them this year. Well, enough already. Let's stop these OTA injuries!

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not good some pundits (Cowherd) have predicted the Rams were very fortunate to avoid the injury bug last season and odds are, it will bite them this year. Well, enough already. Let's stop these OTA injuries!

That’s why having Aaron Donald sitting out is not that big a deal.