Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
it’s q
I think Fautanu is a really good OL prospect.. but I don't think he's a fit at that draft point for the Rams. He's a guy who a lot of people think will end up being a dominant guard.. and the Rams got three of those already, imo.
if the Rams do want Fautanu, they likely have to jump Seattle at 16 to draft him. That would explain the supposed desire to trade up.

I agree that if they want a left tackle I’d prefer they take a guy who is best suited for left tackle.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
it’s q

if the Rams do want Fautanu, they likely have to jump Seattle at 16 to draft him. That would explain the supposed desire to trade up.

I agree that if they want a left tackle I’d prefer they take a guy who is best suited for left tackle.
I saw the Albright stuff and he's not a "hot take" guy.. but I think he's wrong.

But.. if the Rams view Alaric Jackson the way @OldSchool looks at him... trading up for an OT would make sense.

Thing is.. I don't know how the Rams view Jackson.. other than as being worth a 2nd rounder. That seems significant.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw the Albright stuff and he's not a "hot take" guy.. but I think he's wrong.

But.. if the Rams view Alaric Jackson the way @OldSchool looks at him... trading up for an OT would make sense.

Thing is.. I don't know how the Rams view Jackson.. other than as being worth a 2nd rounder. That seems significant.
How exactly do I look at him? I've said he had a good season and he's a decent LT. Can he be upgraded? Sure absolutely any of these first round LT would be an upgrade. So tired of people not paying attention to what I say and running with their own ideas :D

So tell me how do the Rams look at him? Only a 2nd round tender and only a 1 year contract. Does that speak volumes in their faith in Jackson and does that tell you there's no way they'll draft a LT? The fact that both our LT are URFA next year doesn't make you think a LT is an option? A second round tender and a one year cheap contract is an ocean away from significant.

Silly season indeed can this draft be over already?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it’s q

So why isn't Fautanu suited to play LT in the NFL? The OL guys I've read and watched say he is just curious why you say he's not.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Me neither. They were mulling over an original round tender…. supposedly. I have felt he played pretty well all of last season.

The cap management and a rookie contract stuff makes sense, but there seems to be more urgent needs. I guess it’s possible that they dont feel Aleric good enough or worthy of paying what he is going to want to be paid.

Maybe they see this draft as an opportunity to get a top level Left tackle for the next fifteen years. A guy like Whitworth would be better than Aleric I guess.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I think Fautanu is a really good OL prospect.. but I don't think he's a fit at that draft point for the Rams. He's a guy who a lot of people think will end up being a dominant guard.. and the Rams got three of those already, imo.
Him being a guard was the common narrative prior to the combine when his arm length was measured at 34"+. I haven't seen that narrative so much sense. Have you?

Once they realized he had the requisite arm length to play tackle, the whispers at the combine was that he may be drafted in the early teens.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I’m starting to think a lot about JC Latham and thinking he is the Rams target. Young, plus in the run game, with all of the tools to be a plus in pass protection as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
How exactly do I look at him? I've said he had a good season and he's a decent LT. Can he be upgraded? Sure absolutely any of these first round LT would be an upgrade. So tired of people not paying attention to what I say and running with their own ideas :D

So tell me how do the Rams look at him? Only a 2nd round tender and only a 1 year contract. Does that speak volumes in their faith in Jackson and does that tell you there's no way they'll draft a LT? The fact that both our LT are URFA next year doesn't make you think a LT is an option? A second round tender and a one year cheap contract is an ocean away from significant.

Silly season indeed can this draft be over already?

Man.. people are touchy.

I was pointing out that there's a legitimate alternate perspective on Jackson that could drive the team to draft a first rounder.

Is that not EXACTLY what you're proposing?

And if you finished reading my fucking post.. you would've seen where I write... I DON'T KNOW HOW THE RAMS VIEW HIM outside of valuing him as a second rounder.

Goddamn, my man.. read the full post and breathe before you assume someone is taking a shot at you.

I will say, in response to your post here.. that there is absolutely no guarantee that tackles outside of the top 4 would be upgrades to Jackson this season. Jackson outperformed multiple first rounders at the position last year.. according to outside evaluators of the position.

Deeper than that... I fully believe the Rams could/should draft an OT in this cycle... as high as the second round.
But.. who knows? As I said... they could view the position the same way you do and trade up.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Him being a guard was the common narrative prior to the combine when his arm length was measured at 34"+. I haven't seen that narrative so much sense. Have you?

Once they realized he had the requisite arm length to play tackle, the whispers at the combine was that he may be drafted in the early teens.
Here's what I'll say on him... there's enough *mixed* opinion of him and his future position out there that *I'm* not excited by the prospect of drafting him and assuming he's the LT for the next decade. And, if *I'm* trading up for a tackle.. that's the standard.

I'm only emphasizing to point out the limitations in my knowledge about him (it's based on "research".. but I'm no scout).. and how those limitations shape my take.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I’m starting to think a lot about JC Latham and thinking he is the Rams target. Young, plus in the run game, with all of the tools to be a plus in pass protection as well.
That would be a scary move.

I'd be very concerned if the Rams traded up for a kid who hasn't played LT since high school and has had 18 penalties the past couple seasons playing RT.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I am a MASSIVE homer for the Offensive and Defensive line. More for the offensive line because a team can be good with an average QB while having a great Oline......(not that we want an average QB).

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yep. His arms proved to be longer than Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Guyton, & Suamataia.

But I believe his height is a concern for some as he's slightly below 6'4". I recently read a glowing review about his athleticism, his arm length, and his demeaner, but then that same reviewer said he didn't have the height for a LT.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Here's what I'll say on him... there's enough *mixed* opinion of him and his future position out there that *I'm* not excited by the prospect of drafting him and assuming he's the LT for the next decade. And, if *I'm* trading up for a tackle.. that's the standard.

I'm only emphasizing to point out the limitations in my knowledge about him (it's based on "research".. but I'm no scout).. and how those limitations shape my take.
I agree with you. If they didn't consider him a LT they wouldn't trade up for him. If they do, rest assured, that the Rams scouts consider him a LT.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That would be a scary move.

I'd be very concerned if the Rams traded up for a kid who hasn't played LT since high school and has had 18 penalties the past couple seasons playing RT.
When was the last time Les picked a project at tackle high in the draft who didn’t work out?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep. His arms proved to be longer than Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Guyton, & Suamataia.

But I believe his height is a concern for some as he's slightly below 6'4". I recently read a glowing review about his athleticism, his arm length, and his demeaner, but then that same reviewer said he didn't have the height for a LT.
Some people say height is overrated at Tackle. But NFL teams in general seem to want it.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Who is that top defender who is going to come in, dominate and be the missing piece for our defense? Who had Kobie Turner on their bingo card last April? A 3rd round pick (the second pick used in the third round) who should have been DROY!!! I know the theory is "you can't bank on hitting in the 3rd round (or lower) every year" except they seem to hit with regularity. Maybe they'll go D in the first and hit big. Or maybe they won't. THEY know better than any of us who is going to help this team the most. The good thing is we don't have much longer to wait. 4 days from tomorrow. Then we can move on from who they should draft, to who they drafted and make it known how unwise or wise it was. And we still won't know shit until the games start and we see how it plays out.
I wish I knew, luckily the Rams have a paid staff to know this. My guess? Latu. Think he hits the ground running. My 2nd guess, Murphy.

IMHO, drafting a top defensive player is going to have a lot more impact then drafting a OL who may sit the bench the entire year. I would guess that there is 0% chance a guy like Latu, Murphy, Verse, Mitchell, etc would be sitting on the bench. Most any defender we draft will be a full time contributor and likely make a pretty solid impact on the defense. I really can't say that is true about adding another OL to an already pretty elite group.

I will tell you who had Turner on their bingo card last year, PFF. He was their top DT prospect and they were essentially correct. You can say a lot of things about PFF, but they get the defensive lineman more right then wrong IMO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man.. people are touchy.

I was pointing out that there's a legitimate alternate perspective on Jackson that could drive the team to draft a first rounder.

Is that not EXACTLY what you're proposing?

And if you finished reading my fucking post.. you would've seen where I write... I DON'T KNOW HOW THE RAMS VIEW HIM outside of valuing him as a second rounder.

Goddamn, my man.. read the full post and breathe before you assume someone is taking a shot at you.

I will say, in response to your post here.. that there is absolutely no guarantee that tackles outside of the top 4 would be upgrades to Jackson this season. Jackson outperformed multiple first rounders at the position last year.. according to outside evaluators of the position.

Deeper than that... I fully believe the Rams could/should draft an OT in this cycle... as high as the second round.
But.. who knows? As I said... they could view the position the same way you do and trade up.
The way oldschool looks at him LOL yeah I'm touchy, nothing like being singled out with the implication I don't like a guy.