Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Listened to Allbright and basically sounds like Rams called Denver to discuss trade up.

He said offensive tackle. Says Rams want OT badly.
Sigh.
I’d love Fashanu, and that means we probably deal A-Jax.
For a bag of peanuts and an upgraded flight. Wonderful. We never win player trades so don't expect to here. AJax is a solid LT that can likely be had for a reasonable extension, which I think he has probably earned. But yeah, let's give up the farm and any chance of having a decent D to go get another OL. Clearly, not my hope :)

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. I’m just saying the only players I’m trading up for are those three.

If we take a tackle, we could easily recoup a second by trading A-Jax. I don’t want to trade up for Fuaga or Fautanu; don’t want the former, and I’d be okay with the latter at #19. And Latham is on my DO NOT DRAFT list.
LOL, a 2nd? No percent chance. We got a 3rd for potential future HOF'r Ramsey. We'd be lucky to get a 5th.

dang

Legend
Sigh.

For a bag of peanuts and an upgraded flight. Wonderful. We never win player trades so don't expect to here. AJax is a solid LT that can likely be had for a reasonable extension, which I think he has probably earned. But yeah, let's give up the farm and any chance of having a decent D to go get another OL. Clearly, not my hope :)
Sounds like McSnead want to maximize Staffords production for the last 2-3 years of his NFL career. I’d enjoy watching an offensive that controls the ball and scores 35 pts per game for the next few years.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree... I'm kinda non plussed by this if it's not for an Odunze but even then I don't love it.

Here me out though... it's not a great D draft. What if Rams look at the 1st round and just don't think there's a D worth grabbing with their pick around 19 and it only gets worse after that? Maybe you do look moving up for an offensive guy.
Honestly, I'm not sure how they could look at the defenders in the 1st round and not see a big upgrade at multiple positions. One position of which, we barely even have a warm body in. Turner, Verse, Latu, Robinson are all immediate big upgrades over.... Hoecht. Murphy or Newton is a big upgrade over Brown (who is a UFA after this season also). Hell, Dejean is a huge upgrade over Yeast, and so on a so forth. I'm sure they certainly know better then I do, but, I have eyes also.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
LOL, a 2nd? No percent chance. We got a 3rd for potential future HOF'r Ramsey. We'd be lucky to get a 5th.
Different positions. A-Jax plays a more important position than Ramsey.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like McSnead want to maximize Staffords production for the last 2-3 years of his NFL career. I’d enjoy watching an offensive that controls the ball and scores 35 pts per game for the next few years.
I would also, and, I perhaps already see that offense as it sits currently. Trading the farm to go up and grab a rookie LT to me doesn't move the needle that much. Ajax is an ascending LT and has proven to be more then capable of protecting Stafford's blindside, particularly with the upgrades to the line already this offseason.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I would also, and, I perhaps already see that offense as it sits currently. Trading the farm to go up and grab a rookie LT to me doesn't move the needle that much. Ajax is an ascending LT and has proven to be more then capable of protecting Stafford's blindside, particularly with the upgrades to the line already this offseason.

Cheaper for a longer time. Imagine having Alt (pipe dream) or Fashanu for potentially five years, whereas we only have A-Jax for this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
LOL, a 2nd? No percent chance.

Agree. Jackson will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Unless he is offered a significant contract, Jackson will play-out 2024 and see what the market offers.

Do not see a 2nd round pick for him, without the new team also signing Jackson to an extension.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Different positions. A-Jax plays a more important position than Ramsey.
Perhaps that is true, but to think we are getting a 2nd for Ajax (who is in a contract year) is a bit of wishful thinking. Not apples to apples, but Moses just went for a comp 6th. Yeah, he's older, but, arguably better too.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to think (and hope) that the Rams brass are very much into doing their best to win a ring this year with a short time table for their franchise QB. Does moving up and drafting a OT this year help that? Maybe, certainly not a guarantee that a rookie OT will come in and perform better then AJax this year, or in the future. In my amateur opinion, this doesn't move the needle very much in that direction and, in fact, hurts our defense further. Particularly if we are giving up valuable draft picks to trade up to grab one. Other teams will improve on defense in this draft.

On paper, who has the worst defense in the NFL currently?
Colts
Broncos
Raiders (improved DL)
Tenants (pretty formidable edge duo/safety)
Giants (formidable DL)
Commodes (bad)
Falcons
Panthers (made some improvements in FA)
Cards (bad)

We are absolutely amongst these teams. Factor in White likely starts year on IR and who knows if he will ever be effective again. We have Mr. Irrelevant slated to start, we have Rosenboom slated to start (in base), we have Yeast slated to start, we likely have Kendrick starting until White gets back, we have Hoecht slated to start. We better be able to score 35, because currently we will battle to stop the opposition from scoring that much.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With the caveat of trading back into round one for Chop. I concur with @Memento I like Olumuyiwa Fashanu and believe he has the highest ceiling. Also former Ram Head Coach Mike Martz commented that he did not believe that Joe Alt could be an upper tier LT in the NFL because his ass was not big enough, however, no debating that on Fashanu.
I read Martz’s comment also. I thought it was interesting and tried to think of a top tackle that didn’t have a big ass. Maybe Tyron Smith?

Mike did put some good Olines together. He and Hanifan always had some good lines together.

Fashanu has the best footwork of any Tackle in pass protection in this draft. But he is underwhelming at run blocking. I’d understand the logic of making that pick, but it wouldn’t be a very exciting one.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read Martz’s comment also. I thought it was interesting and tried to think of a top tackle that didn’t have a big ass. Maybe Tyron Smith?

Mike did put some good Olines together. He and Hanifan always had some good lines together.

Fashanu has the best footwork of any Tackle in pass protection in this draft. But he is underwhelming at run blocking. I’d understand the logic of making that pick, but it wouldn’t be a very exciting one.
Yeah I agree, very not exciting. Fashanu lacks in the run blocking department. As does Fautanu, who is even worse at run blocking. IMO, Latham is better then both all around and Fuaga is much better. I think Fuaga is second to only Alt personally.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. I’m just saying the only players I’m trading up for are those three.

If we take a tackle, we could easily recoup a second by trading A-Jax. I don’t want to trade up for Fuaga or Fautanu; don’t want the former, and I’d be okay with the latter at #19. And Latham is on my DO NOT DRAFT list.
If Ajax was worth a 2nd, he would have been signed to a RFA deal.
Cant see why he’d be traded, relatively cheap OT who could be replacement for Havenstein if they get a “franchise” LT

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Listened to Allbright and basically sounds like Rams called Denver to discuss trade up.

He said offensive tackle. Says Rams want OT badly.
Many of us have talked about this possibility. I figured they’d just sit tight and take Mims if they want a left tackle
Agree. Jackson will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Unless he is offered a significant contract, Jackson will play-out 2024 and see what the market offers.

Do not see a 2nd round pick for him, without the new team also signing Jackson to an extension.
I’d keep him for insurance. He can play guard or tackle better than Noteboom. Or trade him at the end of camp or trade deadline for a team whose OLT got injured.
Perhaps that is true, but to think we are getting a 2nd for Ajax (who is in a contract year) is a bit of wishful thinking. Not apples to apples, but Moses just went for a comp 6th. Yeah, he's older, but, arguably better too.
They may be better off keeping Aleric and let him become a free agent. Done team may give him a good enough contract to get the Rams a third or fourth round comp pick.
I've got this feeling about the Rams and Fautanu.
Seattle seems to really like Fautanu and I’ve heard that Abe Lucas injury may end his career

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Drafting a left tackle could also mean that Havenstein will be retiring or moving on when his contract is up. There is two years left on that deal. I haven’t looked to see if they save any money by cutting him in after two years

If that was the case they sign Aleric Jackson and he is the starting ORT in 2025.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If it is a trade up …. Who are they going to get?

A WR?
The LT of the future?
Their favorite defensive player?
Not a QB - right? (Gulp)
I'd say a cornerstone type position. Those include QB but Stafford is the guy they're counting on, and CB but they added a couple in FA so it feels like it won't be corner unless it falls a certain way. So I'd guess the move up would be for LT or Edge if it happens.

Media types saying they're hearing OT now. But that could be guesswork. Rams run a tight ship. Could be they are sweet on an edge, but I will say that the OT position feels quite strong at the top so they may have one guy targeted and if he gets to that point they jump and get him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe Rams trade 1st & 2nd rounder to Broncos for their 1st & 4th rounder.

An OT? Makes sense to get a cheaper contract on that OLine with the guard expenditure, I guess.

But the only players I would even consider trading up for would be Quinyon Mitchell, Brock Bowers, & Rome Odunze.

I just figured that after the success of last year's draft after a failed trade up attempt that they'd just stand pat.

Broncos don't have a 2nd round pick and need a QB. Maybe Denver's Allbright is just brainstorming a way for the Broncos to move down and make a Bo Nix selection more palatable.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Rams trade 1st & 2nd rounder to Broncos for their 1st & 4th rounder.

An OT? Makes sense to get a cheaper contract on that OLine with the guard expenditure, I guess.

But the only players I would even consider trading up for would be Quinyon Mitchell, Brock Bowers, & Rome Odunze.

I just figured that after the success of last year's draft after a failed trade up attempt that they'd just stand pat.

Broncos don't have a 2nd round pick and need a QB. Maybe Denver's Allbright is just brainstorming a way for the Broncos to move down and make a Bo Nix selection more palatable.
Those are far more reasonable names then Olo IMO. Personally, I'm thinking it might be for Murphy if they move up. Too many draft analysts are starting to say that Murphy is going to go higher then people expect, meaning potentially teams view him as more valuable then the average draft joe. I think he is the most disruptive interior force in this draft, but not sure how I'd feel about moving up for him.