Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing should surprise us as Rams fans come Thursday night.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Nothing should surprise us as Rams fans come Thursday night.
Agreed. I’m not staying up to watch it live, as it starts at 01:00 UK time and I have work on Friday, so I’m prepared for absolutely anything when I wake up on Friday morning.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If it is a trade up …. Who are they going to get?

A WR?
The LT of the future?
Their favorite defensive player?
Not a QB - right? (Gulp)

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I know we haven't discussed it much here, but thoughts on trading two #1's for Surtain?

I wouldn't, but that idea has been kicked around, most recently by Barnwell on espn.com.

Granted, it gives you 3 yrs of a cost controlled contract for a 24 yr old premier CB. It would be much like the Ramsey trade, yet for a younger player and cheaper contract for a few yrs.

To me the difference is that they got Ramsey while they had a 24 yr old Goff and no apparent need to spend a high pick on a QB. That is much different this time around. They will likley need a #1 pick in 25' to grab their next QB.

If they knew for sure that Stafford would play 3 more yrs then it would allow you to take the hit in 24' & 25' with no 1st's, and grab a QB in 26'. Of course they could always go the vet QB route as well. Try to fix someone who was given up on, and not need a high pick.

Anyway, curious of the thoughts on here regarding such a trade.
There is no way I'd give up 2 firsts for last years version of Surtain. He is riding his great '22 season currently IMO. As I posted in anothe thread - some don't love PFF, but he's ranked as the 42nd overall CB from last years play. Below D Will by a lot. I'm passing.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Allbright is a beat guy but dude is more locked in on the league than many national reporters. You can believe Rams talking to teams about moving up.
He was a lot more connected to the Rams years ago than he has been lately - but I wouldn’t discount anything he says

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

A WR?
The LT of the future?
Not a QB - right? (Gulp)
I think it could be all of the above.

Daniel Jeremiah said that if Byron Murphy fell into the teens, the Rams would move up to pick him.

There was a report that the Rams want a QB and it turned into speculation about Penix (who doesn’t seem like an ideal fit)

Then we can see the logic in wanting a top rookie OLT on a cheap rookie contract for 5 years to soften the blow of two highly paid guards.

And then. You have Odunze. Who, if he dropped to ten I could see McVay start pitching a tent in the war room. Possibly Bowers as well.

I’d argue that trading up for a pass catcher or top LT would not be the best value. But Snead has said that he has to reel Sean in on draft day. There should be a good OLT closer to 19, and lots of receiving options later. But a guy like Odunze would make the Rams offense so hard to defend.

A QB would strictly be a future move, which seems like a waste with Stafford under contract for three more years, but none of us know if Stafford said he’s done in a year or two.

So, that makes the most realistic and cost effective option, the defensive player, who is likely there in the teens, and won’t cost a fortune in trade capital. Plus, if DJ said it, then he may have inadvertently leaked some real info about the Rams and Murphy. He seems to be one of the more clued in reporters. There are others they may be willing to move up for too.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Listened to Allbright and basically sounds like Rams called Denver to discuss trade up.

He said offensive tackle. Says Rams want OT badly.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

A WR?
The LT of the future?
Not a QB - right? (Gulp)
I guess it could be possible that they love Fashanu and the trip to Penn State, that was reported to be for Chop Robinson was actually a meeting with Olu. Who knows?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I’d love Fashanu, and that means we probably deal A-Jax.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess it could be possible that they love Fashanu and the trip to Penn State, that was reported to be for Chop Robinson was actually a meeting with Olu. Who knows?
With the caveat of trading back into round one for Chop. I concur with @Memento I like Olumuyiwa Fashanu and believe he has the highest ceiling. Also former Ram Head Coach Mike Martz commented that he did not believe that Joe Alt could be an upper tier LT in the NFL because his ass was not big enough, however, no debating that on Fashanu.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

WestCoastRam

Legend
Please let it be Fashanu, Alt, or Nabers.
Let's take Allbright at face value for a second (you could argue this person Allbright is talking to is sandbagging him on who the players are) and it's a tackle. Alt is gone. So seems like it has to be Fashanu, Latham or Fuaga.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not a fan of moving up this year. It will almost certainly mean a loss of our 2nd and potentially a 3rd round pick, if not something along the lines of our 1st next year. I really don't see anyone as being that valuable ahead of us. Yeah, Oduze or Nabers would be great on our team, but, we'd be giving up improving our defense, which is currently bad.
I agree... I'm kinda non plussed by this if it's not for an Odunze but even then I don't love it.

Here me out though... it's not a great D draft. What if Rams look at the 1st round and just don't think there's a D worth grabbing with their pick around 19 and it only gets worse after that? Maybe you do look moving up for an offensive guy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's take Allbright at face value for a second (you could argue this person Allbright is talking to is sandbagging him on who the players are) and it's a tackle. Alt is gone. So seems like it has to be Fashanu, Latham or Fuaga.
Agreed. I’m just saying the only players I’m trading up for are those three.

If we take a tackle, we could easily recoup a second by trading A-Jax. I don’t want to trade up for Fuaga or Fautanu; don’t want the former, and I’d be okay with the latter at #19. And Latham is on my DO NOT DRAFT list.