Mayock: Goff/Wentz as good, or better, than Winston/Mariota

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I like both Goff and Wentz they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I like Wentz's size, upside, and his play in a pro style system. I don't like the level of competition, the injuries, and how his team didn't skip a a beat with the QB before him or after he got hurt.

I like how Goff improved every year, quick decision making, Accuracy, pocket movement, toughness played behind a bad O-line, but kept delivering and never missed time. I dont like the size and lack of reps under center.

Right now I would lean towards Goff. He has pro level accuracy, pocket movement, throws with anticipation, and no fear challenging downfield. I don't think the Rams will be concerned about the hands. They drafted Manion last year who also has 9 inch hands.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm still all in on Wentz.

I still say that he's 85% Big Ben, 15% Cam Newton. I'd say 100% Big Ben, but he's slightly slimmer and WAAAY more athletic. Guy can run a sub 4.7 40 which for QBs means that other than a few DEs and LBs, he's going to create issues.

He shouldn't need a spy, but he's not someone that you want to leave with 30 yards of open field in front of him...

That and he's been in a pro-style offense for 4 years and not only did well in it, but is fluent with altering it on the fly based on reading the defense pre-snap and going through his progressions. I loved watching him give Gruden a khaki tent talking about the super hero variants for a formation. I didn't know Chuckie could smile that big...

Frankly, he's EASILY as far along as Jameis Winston and I see him as the best prospect since Luck (that includes Bradford, btw).

Especially since he came from a strong running attack offense, he understands the role of a QB in a running offense which makes him fit "LIKE A GLOVE" for us.

Honestly, I dunno of a QB since Luck that could walk in on day one and start for us including Winston.

That guy is Wentz.

I don't know, but have a heavy, sinking feeling that the FA is going to play it safe and either stay at 15 or trade down and stockpile picks on O in a defensive heavy draft, grab a QB along the way and simply do their best with the guys they have and focus on the D and not giving up 17 points a game because, as Snead pointed out... they don't really need a QB if they can hold teams below 17...

I don't really buy that, but based on experience, I think THEY buy it.

I'd rather have Wentz, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams end up with Keenum, Mannion, Foles, and 2-4th round draftee. What is so frustrating is that we know they have no confidence in Foles and they've shown thus far no confidence in Mannion. So, unless they expect Keenum or draftee to blow up or the D to stop allowing scoring...

I dunno what the plan is...
The only predictable thing Snead and Fisher have shown, in the draft, is that they are very unpredictable.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Goff, Wentz, Cook for me Lynch and Hack scare me. One is a project on the rise and the other is a blue chipper on the decline. Watch a lot of tape on all of them, it seems pretty clear that these three have the best chance of early success and the latter two are scary boom or bust prospects

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
To get to one in 2016 it will take 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th and 2017 1st. Are you ready to commit to that?

To get to 4th you will need 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th.

Are you willing to give that for either of the two? I am not.

That depends on if one of them falls. I'm not talking going to #1 or #2. So it wouldn't take that much, IMO.
And I said, I would not give up a kings ransom.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm willing to pay the piper to move up to #1 to draft Wentz. Our OL is pretty much set, we have a generation rb, chess piece in Tavon. Our D is good to great. The time is now to make the move needed

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
For the record, I'd take Goff or Wentz. They both have everything we need to elevate our team.
I just hope we take the chance to with our picks to get it done (as long as it's not a kings ransom)
I'm okay with giving away a King's ransom. Franchise QB's are worth every penny.
It's never good to go one or two years without draft picks but you know what? The defense and special teams are strong, deep and playoff ready. Then you have Gurley and Austin offensively along with a promising young group of OLiners. With all of those pieces in place(including a legit QB) you can go out and utilize FA a little more than you normally would for a year or two. It didn't kill Washington to give up all those picks. What hurt them more is that RGIII flamed out completely within 2-3 yrs.

I say Get it over with and go get Wentz...or Goff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm okay with giving away a King's ransom. Franchise QB's are worth every penny.
It's never good to go one or two years without draft picks but you know what? The defense and special teams are strong, deep and playoff ready. Then you have Gurley and Austin offensively along with a promising young group of OLiners. With all of those pieces in place(including a legit QB) you can go out and utilize FA a little more than you normally would for a year or two. It didn't kill Washington to give up all those picks. What hurt them more is that RGIII flamed out completely within 2-3 yrs.

daniel-bryan-yes-o_original.gif

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I agree with going after one of these qbs and trading up, we can not wait till 15 to pick one so rams need to make a move ! if not I am happy with a good defensive player or a wr at 15 .

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

When you put it like that brother I can't really argue (y)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I could easily see Dallas & San Francisco trying to move up for Wentz/Goff. The cost for the Rams appears far too great.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could easily see Dallas & San Francisco trying to move up for Wentz/Goff. The cost for the Rams appears far too great.

The cost is not too great. Rams have a very, very good roster that is young and talented with most holes filled. They have some key guys coming up for FA, but are one of the more shrewd cap teams in the league thanks to Demoff, who in spite of having signed some bum guys and overpaying them are still looking very good. Defense is locked and loaded and only needs some depth. Offense is stocked with young talent on the OL and the best young RB in the league. All they need is the QB and a couple weapons to add to the mix.

They can afford to move up. In fact, of all the teams they are one of those for whom it makes the most sense. If they move up and fill QB they're gonna be looking very, very good and will be able to plug a few key holes as necessary with FA and remaining picks. Get the QB!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Agreed. This team is close enough that they need to make that QB move now. Get a guy in and let him get comfortable before the team starts getting worse.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I dont know what it is but I dont think either is a franchise QB. I like them both and think they can both be good solid QBs but I would not give up an significant capital to acquire either of them. I am all about getting a QB and think that is the missing piece for this team to be a playoff team. I am just not convinced either is that player. To be more specific, Im not sure either would be consistently at Top 10 QB in the league over a 5-8 year span. I can see them both being somewhere in the 10-20 range but to me that is not good enough to trade significant capital to acquire.

To really get daggers thrown at me lol, I actually think if he can get his head on straight and check his ego at the door Cook could end up being better than both.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I think Wentz is absolutely worth the move up to go get, I'm not as high of Goff but I like him. Regarding Goff's pro I thought just like in his games that his deep ball floats, multiple times the receivers had to slow down to catch the passes. I love Wentz's physical abilities and his intangibles. I think we will absolutely regret not getting one of these guys.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we go 8-8 or 9-7 and not have the luxury of 2 2nd round picks, it will be that much harder to trade up for a QB next year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If we go 8-8 or 9-7 and not have the luxury of 2 2nd round picks, it will be that much harder to trade up for a QB next year.

Exactly. Not to mention that the team sitting at #1 next year may not have the QB solidified.

This is the year to do it.

WvuIN02

Starter
I have a feeling this draft class at QB could be a 2004 redux and all 3 will end up being good.