Mayock: Goff/Wentz as good, or better, than Winston/Mariota

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Already been posted in a more relevant context. See this.

Where would Wentz and Goff go off the Board in Past Drafts?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I just wonder how is Goff gonna hold up being so skinny and small with a pitcher's body frame - guy should be the #1 pick in the MLB draft not the NFL draft. Doesn't mean I don't want to see him in horns but I'd prefer a few other guys in Horns more, especially with our young O-line
Wentz with the #1 is how i see it
If that fails, gimme a guy like Lynch over a Goff all day long

tiny-hands.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I watched his Pro Day, it was pretty good. He worked very fast, and made some very hard throws. At the end, the Browns QB coach made him throw the ball about 3 or 4 times, on deep ins and outs, just before Goff threw, the Browns poured water all over the ball.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm still all in on Wentz.

I still say that he's 85% Big Ben, 15% Cam Newton. I'd say 100% Big Ben, but he's slightly slimmer and WAAAY more athletic. Guy can run a sub 4.7 40 which for QBs means that other than a few DEs and LBs, he's going to create issues.

He shouldn't need a spy, but he's not someone that you want to leave with 30 yards of open field in front of him...

That and he's been in a pro-style offense for 4 years and not only did well in it, but is fluent with altering it on the fly based on reading the defense pre-snap and going through his progressions. I loved watching him give Gruden a khaki tent talking about the super hero variants for a formation. I didn't know Chuckie could smile that big...

Frankly, he's EASILY as far along as Jameis Winston and I see him as the best prospect since Luck (that includes Bradford, btw).

Especially since he came from a strong running attack offense, he understands the role of a QB in a running offense which makes him fit "LIKE A GLOVE" for us.

Honestly, I dunno of a QB since Luck that could walk in on day one and start for us including Winston.

That guy is Wentz.

I don't know, but have a heavy, sinking feeling that the FA is going to play it safe and either stay at 15 or trade down and stockpile picks on O in a defensive heavy draft, grab a QB along the way and simply do their best with the guys they have and focus on the D and not giving up 17 points a game because, as Snead pointed out... they don't really need a QB if they can hold teams below 17...

I don't really buy that, but based on experience, I think THEY buy it.

I'd rather have Wentz, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams end up with Keenum, Mannion, Foles, and 2-4th round draftee. What is so frustrating is that we know they have no confidence in Foles and they've shown thus far no confidence in Mannion. So, unless they expect Keenum or draftee to blow up or the D to stop allowing scoring...

I dunno what the plan is...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I watched his Pro Day, it was pretty good. He worked very fast, and made some very hard throws. At the end, the Browns QB coach made him throw the ball about 3 or 4 times, on deep ins and outs, just before Goff threw, the Browns poured water all over the ball.

I didn't see those... How did those look?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I didn't see those... How did those look?
Good. Mayock said that one of them fluttered a little, but I didn't see it. It's interesting to note that the ball slipped right through the WR's hands on one throw, it was so wet.

Goff ended the workout high-fiving, and hugging all his teammates and coaches. He appears to be very genuinely liked, and respected. It was a chilly day, with 5 - 8 mph winds reported.

It's also of note to those that didn't watch it, for the amount of throws, the difficulty of, etc, it was a very fast script, and it appeared that Goff didn't break a sweat, something I noted at the combine. It's so easy for him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have no problem with this statement.
Me neither when you add up the whole packages. Both Wentz and Goff are super clean off the field. Wentz has the best arm, and Goff is probably better at reads, pocket presence, escapability, and anticipation than any of them.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm all about Wentz, but I'm warming up to Goff more and more.

If it weren't for this damn feeling in my gut that the best we're likely to see is Dak Prescott or someone in that range in rounds 2-4, then I'd spend more energy really delving more into Goff.

As it is, I've stopped looking at either Wentz or Goff, because...why?

I'm trying to shift my expectations so that I'll be pleasantly surprised rather than crushed and disappointed.

So far, I'm doing a really horrible job...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I watched it too. He missed a couple but all in all I'd take him with no hesitation if we had the chance.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
For the record, I'd take Goff or Wentz. They both have everything we need to elevate our team.
I just hope we take the chance to with our picks to get it done (as long as it's not a kings ransom)

I'm just not comfortable with Keenum for another year.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
For the record, I'd take Goff or Wentz. They both have everything we need to elevate our team.
I just hope we take the chance to with our picks to get it done (as long as it's not a kings ransom)

I'm just not comfortable with Keenum for another year.

To get to one in 2016 it will take 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th and 2017 1st. Are you ready to commit to that?

To get to 4th you will need 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th.

Are you willing to give that for either of the two? I am not.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I watched it too. He missed a couple but all in all I'd take him with no hesitation if we had the chance.
He overthrew one, missed a couple, but even on a broken route, he adjusted and hit one in stride. Overall, very good day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still all in on Wentz.

I still say that he's 85% Big Ben, 15% Cam Newton. I'd say 100% Big Ben, but he's slightly slimmer and WAAAY more athletic. Guy can run a sub 4.7 40 which for QBs means that other than a few DEs and LBs, he's going to create issues.

He shouldn't need a spy, but he's not someone that you want to leave with 30 yards of open field in front of him...

That and he's been in a pro-style offense for 4 years and not only did well in it, but is fluent with altering it on the fly based on reading the defense pre-snap and going through his progressions. I loved watching him give Gruden a khaki tent talking about the super hero variants for a formation. I didn't know Chuckie could smile that big...

Frankly, he's EASILY as far along as Jameis Winston and I see him as the best prospect since Luck (that includes Bradford, btw).

Especially since he came from a strong running attack offense, he understands the role of a QB in a running offense which makes him fit "LIKE A GLOVE" for us.

Honestly, I dunno of a QB since Luck that could walk in on day one and start for us including Winston.

That guy is Wentz.

I think you're overstating things a bit, Mack. There have been 7 other QBs since Luck was drafted that came in and had rookie years better than the play we got from our 2015 QBs. Wentz also isn't quite as NFL ready as you're claiming. He has more issues than you're letting on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me neither when you add up the whole packages. Both Wentz and Goff are super clean off the field. Wentz has the best arm, and Goff is probably better at reads, pocket presence, escapability, and anticipation than any of them.
I like Wentz a whole lot and Goff almost as much. What I like about Goff aside from his skills, is the confidence he displays. He says similar thing that Tom Brady said back in the day "You won't regret picking me"...I like that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To get to one in 2016 it will take 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th and 2017 1st. Are you ready to commit to that?

To get to 4th you will need 2016 1st, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th.

Are you willing to give that for either of the two? I am not.
I would go to #4 for that price, if I had the call. Not #1.