Matthews Vs Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just feel that Greg Robinson would be a better fit in our division

Yep they have been saying that Robinson is a better clone & a much better version to the Western Division ORT Anthony Davis playing now in San Francisco for the 49ers. The 9ers OL has invested 3 of their own #1 picks in that OL.

The SB team current Seattle OL has two pro bowlers & they have invested two 1st rd picks, a 2nd & a 3rd in their OL since 2009.

The biggest OL invest in this current Ram OL has only one draft investment ....a last day selection in 2013 on the roster.

What does pop up is Robinson's relative inexperience in pass protection & is the only thing that could keep him from being a top five selection. GR would keep the OL from degrading, help replace the loss of Saffold in the run game & certainly aid in keeping Stacy viable. However the JM selection invests more toward the main goal in keeping Sam Bradford unmolested in the pass offense this season & in the future.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam's view of Matthews:
However the JM selection invests more toward the main goal in keeping Sam Bradford unmolested in the pass offense this season & in the future.
I'm afraid that a player like Quinn would eat Matthews lunch due to Matthews lack of athleticism. While Quinn is exceptional, he isn't alone by any means and DEs are getting faster every year. While we take a bigger chance with Robinson, we have a better chance of keeping up with the defensive trends. I think the comparison to Smith isn't apt. Smith had just recently made the switch from TE to OT. Robinson is an O-lineman born and bread.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I didn't make your point unless you are trying to make the stretch that Watkins was supposed to be some "top tier talent". Watkins was an immature kid, who couldn't push himself away from the dinner table.

You seem to think that "top tier" talent is the only way to mold on an EFFECTIVE offensive line? Sorry, just don't buy that. There are way too many players who have performed at a very high level who were not considered "top tier" talent coming into the league. If there is one unit on a FB team where its is more about the sum of the parts, than it is about the individual parts, its the OL.

And Boudreau AND Fisher have proven that to be the case for a long time. I am not saying that they wouldn't benefit from adding talented players to the mix. But given the documented history of both of these guys, they prefer to find VETERANS who come available for one reason or another, and make it work.

Joe Barksdale is the latest example of this. While he may not make any All-Pro teams, he stepped in and solidified the RT spot, and played quite well in doing so.

You are not getting my point at all. I never said Watkins was a good example of someone that Boudreau should have been able to make a probowler. I do think you need to have something to work with first and that Boudreau is fine working with that once he gets it. But to say they have always done well molding players from middle rounds is not accurate.

Fisher had early round probowl talent handed to him when he took over in Houston. He did not need to go for those type players because he already had them. Boudreau in his first stint with StL and in ATL had some pretty good talent to work with too.

Consistency and healthy guys who are going to be there week in and out with a good frame and feet are what they need to learn from Boudreau.

I appreciate your input but your assumptions can be grating. Stick to what you know not what you think someone else means and if you want clarification you could always ask.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm afraid that a player like Quinn would eat Matthews lunch due to Matthews lack of athleticism. While Quinn is exceptional, he isn't alone by any means and DEs are getting faster every year. While we take a bigger chance with Robinson, we have a better chance of keeping up with the defensive trends. I think the comparison to Smith isn't apt. Smith had just recently made the switch from TE to OT. Robinson is an O-lineman born and bread.

Rob Quinn had many good days but he also had just as many bad days too. Teams running directly @ Quinn are a little more successful than running away from him these days. Quinn is the type of RDE that would make a OLT Gerald Robinson look like he is just out of HS. It would be a nightmare for GR to be assigned to pass block Rob. Alan IMO Jake would fair much better with other skills he has don't let the non elite foot speed weight too heavy on him. Jake will learn to keep his feet moving and has a very big bag of tricks to throw up on RDE's like Quinn.

Our OL coach is very good and he has been at this for a long time. He places much value on OL'ers who have the ability to play many sides & positions. Last yr Snead drafted the most versatile OL'er in the draft Barrett Jones. Boudreau experienced in a very big good way the versatile talents of now UFA Rodger Saffold. Which player could fill the void? I would think that when they are targeting OL'ers in this yrs draft with a serious amount of versatility, it will weight very heavy in this draft. GR vs JM on the versatility talent? JM wins it all day all night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam trying to make silk purses from unathletic sow's ears:
Quinn is the type of RDE that would make a OLT Gerald Robinson look like he is just out of HS. It would be a nightmare for GR to be assigned to pass block Rob. Alan IMO Jake would fair much better with other skills he has don't let the non elite foot speed weight too heavy on him. Jake will learn to keep his feet moving and has a very big bag of tricks to throw up on RDE's like Quinn.

Our OL coach is very good and he has been at this for a long time. He places much value on OL'ers who have the ability to play many sides & positions. Last yr Snead drafted the most versatile OL'er in the draft Barrett Jones. Boudreau experienced in a very big good way the versatile talents of now UFA Rodger Saffold. Which player could fill the void? I would think that when they are targeting OL'ers in this yrs draft with a serious amount of versatility, it will weight very heavy in this draft. GR vs JM on the versatility talent? JM wins it all day all night.

Could be Bonifay but IMO Quinn would make both of them look bad. In Robinson's case it would be due to lack of technique and in Matthews case it would be due to a lack of athleticism. You can teach technique but you can't teach athleticism.

I just don't see much upside with Matthews and in fact many are already downgrading him to RT only. Plus as you said, He'd fit in really well at G when Long comes back.

I'll defer to Boo's preference but I think I'd roll the dice on Robinson. At worst you get a dynamite G.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could be Bonifay but IMO Quinn would make both of them look bad. In Robinson's case it would be due to lack of technique and in Matthews case it would be due to a lack of athleticism. You can teach technique but you can't teach athleticism.

I just don't see much upside with Matthews and in fact many are already downgrading him to RT only. Plus as you said, He'd fit in really well at G when Long comes back.

I'll defer to Boo's preference but I think I'd roll the dice on Robinson. At worst you get a dynamite G.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt.... I would like both of them and we need them both and still some more Ol'ers. I do think that other than us the Falcons @#6 & Bucs @#7 would take both these OT 's after Oakland @ #5 selects WR Watkins thus missing both of them if we traded down below them @ #8 with the Vikings. I do think that Matthews will fall below Robinson in most ranking by May.

jjab360

Legend
Rob Quinn had many good days but he also had just as many bad days too. Teams running directly @ Quinn are a little more successful than running away from him these days. Quinn is the type of RDE that would make a OLT Gerald Robinson look like he is just out of HS. It would be a nightmare for GR to be assigned to pass block Rob. Alan IMO Jake would fair much better with other skills he has don't let the non elite foot speed weight too heavy on him. Jake will learn to keep his feet moving and has a very big bag of tricks to throw up on RDE's like Quinn.

Maybe back in 2012 Bon, but this year Quinn was flat out dominant against the run.

Alan

Legend
Actually, even in 2012 he was pretty good. I was talking with X about this very same issue of Quinn not playing the run well. I too thought that statement was true but X posted Long's and Quinn's ratings and Quinn was better than Long against the run. That surprised me. I think I was letting his first year influence me.

Ramifications

Be happy with either, in the camp that is very enamored with Robinson's upside, and concerned Matthews may be maxed out.

It can be counterintuitive, but Bradford played the best of his career when Fisher switched to a run-centric offense after the first month. Robinson is a beast, a monster run blocker, and it would be nice to see the Rams physically dominate and impose their will on SEA and SF for a change. Like was said above, he appears to have the athleticism to think he can be coached up on technique, but Matthews can't be elevated to Robinson's power and physical domination level. While his relative inexperience is on the surface not a plus, he was arguably the top player on the #2 team in the nation after just two years, and still could grade higher than Matthews. If he continues to grow, physically mature and develop in terms of technical refinement, how good is he going to be two years from now, when he has the same experience and reps Matthews does now?

Also alluded to, Snead is an Auburn alum, and Fisher's son goes there. Not that they would take Robinson because of that, but it is nice to know they will be wired into knowing what kind of personal intangibles and football character he has. Does he love the game? Work hard? Take to coaching? Have the desire to be great. Is he a good teammate? How is his football IQ? Is he a warrior, physically/mentally tough and resilient?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Also alluded to, Snead is an Auburn alum, and Fisher's son goes there. Not that they would take Robinson because of that, but it is nice to know they will be wired into knowing what kind of personal intangibles and football character he has. Does he love the game? Work hard? Take to coaching? Have the desire to be great. Is he a good teammate? How is his football IQ? Is he a warrior, physically/mentally tough and resilient?

I truly believe this may be the factor that plays out. If the Rams do take Robinson we can pretty much guarantee that Fisher and Snead have a very good idea of the type of player they're getting (on and off the field). It reminds me of when the Rams took Tru, Fisher's son was at that college at the time and basically told the team to take him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Yep they have been saying that Robinson is a better clone & a much better version to the Western Division ORT Anthony Davis playing now in San Francisco for the 49ers. The 9ers OL has invested 3 of their own #1 picks in that OL.

The SB team current Seattle OL has two pro bowlers & they have invested two 1st rd picks, a 2nd & a 3rd in their OL since 2009.

The biggest OL invest in this current Ram OL has only one draft investment ....a last day selection in 2013 on the roster.

What does pop up is Robinson's relative inexperience in pass protection & is the only thing that could keep him from being a top five selection. GR would keep the OL from degrading, help replace the loss of Saffold in the run game & certainly aid in keeping Stacy viable. However the JM selection invests more toward the main goal in keeping Sam Bradford unmolested in the pass offense this season & in the future.

If Jake long misses a few games, put barkdale at LT use RG at ROT unless staffold is available. Big picture wise we need Greg Robinson badly

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a tough call. I am sure our FO knows better than any of us and I will trust their decision whatever that might be. My observation is this and technically I don't know poo and don't claim to. I have watched way more football college and pro than any one guy really ought to in the last 45 years. I have made sure my wives are football fans. So those are my qualifications to evaluate talent. I saw Greg Robinson and Matthews play multiple times. I was blown away with Robinsons ru;n blocking. Matthews in pass pro on the surface is much more polished but you have to be careful there as well. Blocking for JFoootball is differnt than blocking for Sam Bradford. How will Mattews hold up with a pocket passer? Worst case with Robinson is he is a career guard that you spent a high 1 on. Worst case with Mattews?

Blocking for Johnny Manziel is far worse than blocking for Bradford. Manziel hangs his OL out to dry by holding onto the ball too long, bailing on clean pocket and scrambling into pass rushers that were blocked effectively. Manziel's pocket presence is pretty poor.

And, it's also worth mentioning that Matthews blocked for top 10 pick Ryan Tannehill before Manziel.

Worst case with Matthews? Pro Bowl Guard or Center.

I'll be surprised if they don't target Matthews for the obvious reasons. Bloodlines, connection to Fisher, safer pick and ready to pass Pro at a high level sooner.

Matthews is more than just a technician, he's got a ton of talent. His bust factor is as low as it gets. You just plug him into the OL and he won't make mistakes.

Agreed.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
@NEPD_Loyko: 1. Heard #Auburn OT Greg Robinson is training at API and tearing it up. Other players have said he will "destroy the NFL combine" #NFLDraft

Fisher likes physical freaks. I can see him going for GR.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think too many people get enamored with physical talent. Best QB in the NFL right now(arguably ever)? Peyton Manning. Manning never possessed a cannon for an arm or good mobility. He beats teams with his mastery of technique, precision and preparation. His instincts and football IQ were off the charts and they made his special. Best WR ever? Jerry Rice. 6'2" 200 with a reported 4.59 40. Far from the best athletes to play WR and yet he's unrivaled as the greatest WR of all time. The man mastered technique for the position, he prepared like nobody else and he was a natural football player that showed up to play on the field.

The point being made here is simple, physical attributes are great. I'd never disagree. But Jake Matthews isn't lacking physical attributes. Watch here as he drives Kony Ealy EIGHT yards off the LOS on a TD run:

I saw Matthews handle Barkevious Mingo in 2012 who is a freaky athlete at DE. Matthews has quick, nimble feet and excellent balance. He bends naturally at the knees. The physical attributes are there.

But what makes the guy truly great is the preparation he puts in(you can see it in the way he anticipates what the DE will do), his instincts for the position and his technical prowess. The guy isn't perfect in terms of technique but where he is for a college OL is incredibly impressive. Boudreau should be able to make him even better.

I think people are looking for something to nitpick when the reality is...there's really nothing you can point to as a major flaw in his game. The worst things you can say about him is that he has average length and doesn't have elite athleticism. If that's it...the guy is a pretty darn amazing prospect.

EDIT: For whatever reason, the link from ESPN isn't embedding properly. It's the 7 yard TD by Malena against Mizzou.