Marc Bulger on injuries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Got this from zn's board.

Set aside your disdain for Bulger the QB, and just listen. Maybe you didn't like him, maybe you thought he was soft, maybe you thought he was a plague upon the Organization, and that's all well & good, but just listen. It's 19 minutes, and it's almost exclusively about injuries, but just listen. Former Rams QB who only took the job he was given and did what he could do to the best of his abilities. I threw some stones his way in the past, and I feel like a dick for doing so now. He left about 14 body parts on the field.

Just ... listen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnLcNqGfHQ[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta admit. That's a great listen. I have always been a bit harsh on him but you can't say he didn't battle as hard as he could. Still - I wish him health and happiness as a former Ram.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't make Bulger out to be some hero or anything, but I do respect the guy for putting up with what he had to put up with for so long. I don't wish that upon anyone frankly... Those injuries though... Ouch... Guy is tough as nails, always thought that. To stand behind that O-Line for has long as he did, you have to be tough.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Holy shit,,, after hearing that, I'm surprised he was able to play in Faulk's recent golf tournament. :7up:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That is probably a fairly typical life of an NFL QB. It is the only one position in all of sports where one player stands still and is attacked by all sides. One missed blitzing player and a QB gets hit full force, like being in a car wreck.

I've had a few concussions, once knocked completely out, not football...ice skating, and my son has had a few. His were very scary to me being a parent, and coaches don't always pick up on them. I didn't know he had one this one time until he broke a ceramic towel rod in the bathroom and cut his arm open, and I was the one who drove him home after the game.

I've never questioned Bulger's toughness, just his ability to play at a level that I wanted my QB to play at.

Anyone else have concussion stories?

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:

My very first one (as well as my first broken bone, my nose) came from a pogo stick.

I had a minor one in football, a bad one in hockey, and I'm sure lots of minor ones in the military (I was stupid, never wore ear protection)... I also got TBI, so I never go anywhere without aspirin now days.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Marc Bulger was a very talented pocket quarter back who was another victim of bad coaching. I always knew that Marc was way tougher than he was ever given credit for. The lines he had protecting him were some of the worst, Alex Barron anyone? How about Claude Terrell?

Anonymous

Afro Ram said:
Marc Bulger was a very talented pocket quarter back who was another victim of bad coaching. I always knew that Marc was way tougher than he was ever given credit for. The lines he had protecting him were some of the worst, Alex Barron anyone? How about Claude Terrell?

Add to that that the lines he played behind from 2007-2009 was basically one long string of injuries.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
DR RAM said:

I've had two...

One from football when my head/helmet slammed back onto the field while being tackled.

And the other one was while playing baseball. This one was more severe. I played catcher and was run over by a big dude while I was blocking the plate. Just like in football,,, my head snapped backwards and hit the ground after impact, but on this one my head slammed right down on home plate (plus my helmet was off). I was actually knocked out for over a minute. I didn't really know that I had lost conciousness. I went back to the dugout and tried to go out to bat in the next inning. It wasn't even my turn to bat. I argued with my coach and teammates when they told me I was not supposed to be up,,, and that I wasn't going to be able to play at all for the rest of the game. I was not going to comply with any of them,,, my mother had to come down out of the stands to get me to come out of the game. I was like a crazed madman. I had a headache for over a week after that one, and bright lights were impossible to look at for about a week after as well.

superfan24

Starter
I've had two as well.
Somehow I can remember the first one pretty well from a while back too. 1st grade recess we were playing touch football and I had the ball and was running and ran right into some random person and fell back and hit my head on the concrete. Felt very dizzy and faint in the next class then barfed all over near the principal's office.
2nd one was in HS basketball was going up for a lay-up got hit and my head the floor pretty hard. Had to force me outta the game, but it was a smart decision looking back.
Concussions are scary as fuck thinking about it.

Anonymous

superfan24 said:
I've had two as well.
Somehow I can remember the first one pretty well from a while back too. 1st grade recess we were playing touch football and I had the ball and was running and ran right into some random person and fell back and hit my head on the concrete. Felt very dizzy and faint in the next class then barfed all over near the principal's office.
2nd one was in HS basketball was going up for a lay-up got hit and my head the floor pretty hard. Had to force me outta the game, but it was a smart decision looking back.
Concussions are scary as freak thinking about it.

Concussion. I think so. One. I was the only injury in an earthquake in northern illinois when I was...18? 19? Was visiting a friend in a dorm. Earthquake. Building really shook. Someone rang the fire alarm. Prank or not we had to all file out of there. I slipped on the stairs and kind of went head first. Someone helped me up. Went outside. Everyone was out there, in robes and underwear, and it looked funny, so I started laughing. Everyone I saw looked horror struck so I laughed even harder, which made them even more horror struck, etc. Finally someone said "man, do you know you're bleeding?" So I look down and see the stain spreading across my shirt. My lame response--"yeah I guess so." Went to emergence. Got stitches from an outspoken evangelical nurse who kept proclaiming that "tonight folks are asking how they stand with the lord, yessir" which I take it referred to the earthquake. I couldn't answer certain questions and was just dazed and slow. They kept me for "observation." In a day or 2 a reporter called and asked if I was willing to be interviewed. I asked why me and she said I was the only one admitted to medical care with an injury (about a dozen stitches). I was so embarassed to be the only injury I said emphatically no. (Teenagers.) I could not focus or work for a week or about that.

Only later, many years later, reading about concussions did I figure out that's what was probably going on.

Btw the fault line that runs under the mississippi river and up through illinois (New Madrid Fault Line), when it REALLY goes,will be worse than the san andreus. What I was in was nothing, just a little rattle. The greatest earthquake in north american recorded history came from the New Madrid fault. Around 1812. They say the river ran backwards for days afterward.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
zn said:
They say the river ran backwards for days afterward.
Acid is a beautiful thing. :7up:

?

Um... I thought it would have been obvious. The Mississippi running backward from an earthquake? ANY river really. I was just messing with you and maybe you were waxing poetic but the only people who would have seen something like that would have been on acid. Granted LSD wasn't around then but neither was an earthquake that would make a river run backward. And not that it really matters but that was far from the largest quake in North American history. It's not really even that close. Don't mean to be a dick - it's just my nature. :sly:

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
zn said:

?

Um... I thought it would have been obvious. The Mississippi running backward from an earthquake? ANY river really. I was just messing with you and maybe you were waxing poetic but the only people who would have seen something like that would have been on acid. Granted LSD wasn't around then but neither was an earthquake that would make a river run backward. And not that it really matters but that was far from the largest quake in North American history. It's not really even that close. Don't mean to be a dick - it's just my nature. :sly:

[ Image ]

Earthquake causes fluvial tsunami in Mississippi

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/earthquake-causes-fluvial-tsunami-in-mississippi

On this day in 1812, the most violent of a series of earthquakes near Missouri causes a so-called fluvial tsunami in the Mississippi River, actually making the river run backward for several hours.
The series of tremors, which took place between December 1811 and March 1812, were the most powerful in the history of the United States.

The unusual seismic activity began at about 2 a.m. on December 16, 1811, when a strong tremor rocked the New Madrid region. The city of New Madrid, located near the Mississippi River in present-day Arkansas, had about 1,000 residents at the time, mostly farmers, hunters and fur trappers. At 7:15 a.m., an even more powerful quake erupted, now estimated to have had a magnitude of 8.6. This tremor literally knocked people off their feet and many people experienced nausea from the extensive rolling of the earth. Given that the area was sparsely populated and there weren't many multi-story structures, the death toll was relatively low. However, the quake did cause landslides that destroyed several communities, including Little Prairie, Missouri.

The earthquake also caused fissures--some as much as several hundred feet long--to open on the earth's surface. Large trees were snapped in two. Sulfur leaked out from underground pockets and river banks vanished, flooding thousands of acres of forests. On January 23, 1812, an estimated 8.4-magnitude quake struck in nearly the same location, causing disastrous effects. Reportedly, the president's wife, Dolley Madison, was awoken by the tremor in Washington, D.C. Fortunately, the death toll was smaller, as most of the survivors of the first earthquake were now living in tents, in which they could not be crushed.

The strongest of the tremors followed on February 7. This one was estimated at an amazing 8.8-magnitude and was probably one of the strongest quakes in human history. Church bells rang in Boston, thousands of miles away, from the shaking. Brick walls were toppled in Cincinnati. In the Mississippi River, water turned brown and whirlpools developed suddenly from the depressions created in the riverbed. Waterfalls were created in an instant; in one report, 30 boats were helplessly thrown over falls, killing the people on board. Many of the small islands in the middle of the river, often used as bases by river pirates, permanently disappeared. Large lakes, such as Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee and Big Lake at the Arkansas-Missouri border, were created by the earthquake as river water poured into new depressions.

This series of large earthquakes ended in March, although there were aftershocks for a few more years. In all, it is believed that approximately 1,000 people died because of the earthquakes, though an accurate count is difficult to determine because of a lack of an accurate record of the Native American population in the area at the time.

Anonymous

zn said:
RamFan503 said:
zn said:
RamFan503 said:
zn said:

?

[ Image ]

Earthquake causes fluvial tsunami in Mississippi

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/earthquake-causes-fluvial-tsunami-in-mississippi

On this day in 1812, the most violent of a series of earthquakes near Missouri causes a so-called fluvial tsunami in the Mississippi River, actually making the river run backward for several hours.
The series of tremors, which took place between December 1811 and March 1812, were the most powerful in the history of the United States.

The unusual seismic activity began at about 2 a.m. on December 16, 1811, when a strong tremor rocked the New Madrid region. The city of New Madrid, located near the Mississippi River in present-day Arkansas, had about 1,000 residents at the time, mostly farmers, hunters and fur trappers. At 7:15 a.m., an even more powerful quake erupted, now estimated to have had a magnitude of 8.6. This tremor literally knocked people off their feet and many people experienced nausea from the extensive rolling of the earth. Given that the area was sparsely populated and there weren't many multi-story structures, the death toll was relatively low. However, the quake did cause landslides that destroyed several communities, including Little Prairie, Missouri.

The earthquake also caused fissures--some as much as several hundred feet long--to open on the earth's surface. Large trees were snapped in two. Sulfur leaked out from underground pockets and river banks vanished, flooding thousands of acres of forests. On January 23, 1812, an estimated 8.4-magnitude quake struck in nearly the same location, causing disastrous effects. Reportedly, the president's wife, Dolley Madison, was awoken by the tremor in Washington, D.C. Fortunately, the death toll was smaller, as most of the survivors of the first earthquake were now living in tents, in which they could not be crushed.

The strongest of the tremors followed on February 7. This one was estimated at an amazing 8.8-magnitude and was probably one of the strongest quakes in human history. Church bells rang in Boston, thousands of miles away, from the shaking. Brick walls were toppled in Cincinnati. In the Mississippi River, water turned brown and whirlpools developed suddenly from the depressions created in the riverbed. Waterfalls were created in an instant; in one report, 30 boats were helplessly thrown over falls, killing the people on board. Many of the small islands in the middle of the river, often used as bases by river pirates, permanently disappeared. Large lakes, such as Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee and Big Lake at the Arkansas-Missouri border, were created by the earthquake as river water poured into new depressions.

This series of large earthquakes ended in March, although there were aftershocks for a few more years. In all, it is believed that approximately 1,000 people died because of the earthquakes, though an accurate count is difficult to determine because of a lack of an accurate record of the Native American population in the area at the time.

This is one of thousands of reports on this.

Turns out "for days" was urban legend and I should have looked it up.

BUT the river did run backwards. (For hours.) That's beyond dispute.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There were only small sections of the river that appeared to run backwards for a few hours, those were caused when faults lifted up part of the river for a short while, creating a small dam, which then made small waterfalls that would be flowing backwards. It didn't take long for the water to wear the dam down which would make the river flow normal again.

Also the largest recorded earthquake in American history is a 9.2 up in Alaska back in 1964. It's also the second largest (first being a 9.5 in Chile) in recorded human history. The three earthquakes from New Madrid are officially listed as 7.7, 7.5, and 7.7, ranking 18th, 19th, and 20th, in the US.

Most of the top 20 (in the United States) are from Alaska, only the New Madrid quakes, Cascadia subduction zone (2nd, 1700, magnitude 9), Ka'u District, Hawaii (12th, 1868, magnitude 7.9), Fort Tejon, California (13th, 1857, magnitude 7.9), San Francisco, California (16th, 1906, magnitude 7.8), and Imperial Valley, California (19th, 1982, magnitude 7.8) aren't from that area.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another first.

The words "Fluvial Tsunami" on a Rams message board.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Actually, the river incurred tsunami like effects. Running backward is far from accurate and really actually impossible for the largest river in North America. I have no doubt there were areas of back eddies caused by the banks crumbling but... And also, I suggest the USGS is a little more reliable source. They place the New Madrid quakes at #18 - 20 with a magnitude 7.5 - 7.7. I'll agree though - if another one hits that area and it reaches its potential of apparently another 7.5 - 7.7, the damages could be catastrophic. Though the mighty Mississippi will still run toward the sea - wherever that coast line ends up. :sly:

BTW... I can see the eyes of the members of this board glazing over as I type this. :bign:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Actually, the river incurred tsunami like effects. Running backward is far from accurate and really actually impossible for the largest river in North America. I have no doubt there were areas of back eddies caused by the banks crumbling but... And also, I suggest the USGS is a little more reliable source. They place the New Madrid quakes at #18 - 20 with a magnitude 7.5 - 7.7. I'll agree though - if another one hits that area and it reaches its potential of apparently another 7.5 - 7.7, the damages could be catastrophic. Though the mighty Mississippi will still run toward the sea - wherever that coast line ends up. :sly:

BTW... I can see the eyes of the members of this board glazing over as I type this. :bign:
It's not a jelly donut if it has lemon filling.