Malcom Brown gets offer sheet from Lions - Rams Match It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
This is good, but I’m surprised about some of the Anderson comments—dude was an absolute beast for us.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is good, but I’m surprised about some of the Anderson comments—dude was an absolute beast for us.

I understand keeping Brown - very cap friendly contract and they needed somebody - I was hoping for CJ back as a RB 1b behind Gurley. Brown is an affordable backup, but not somebody to make the other team have to game plan around him. He doesn't have the power of CJ, nor the burst of Gurley. While he is a decent pass receiver, he hasn't shown that he's a real threat to break one loose for a long gain, so teams don't worry so much about him. I wanted a serious threat in the backfield, like CJ showed he can be. But understandably, CJ seems to be holding out for a chance to start, since he's been a good one in the past and this is likely his last chance. I do hope he signs soon, so he'll count as a comp pick for the Rams, and hopefully will cancel out CM.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Believe it or not we were at our best with Brown as the back up. He was the perfect spell for Gurley. Don’t forget about John Kelly either. The dude needs to put on a little weight but he can ball for sure.

He has to learn how to pass protect before he gets any significant playing time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love keeping Brown. This is a move towards the future. CJ showed up for us last year but I think he would wear down after 1/2 a season. I think he was starting to hit a wall last year at the end. We probably will only sign him at a bargain price if at all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... we have arrived to a new era of cap management.

That’s not a bad thing. We knew it was coming. It means we have star players on larger deals.

It also means we will see more tough choices like this and a refined team building strategy.

I personally love signing Brown, but I don’t view it as a testament he’s superior to CJA. It’s just choices need to be made and we need some cheaper contracts, value players, to balance out the roster.

We’re in this mode for a while now... with so many young stars and early contracts,

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Given the uncertainty around Gurley, I wonder if this means Rams are comfortable riding Brown (if necessary) as the workhorse.

I for one was hoping that CJ would return, because he showed he could be “the guy.” Unfortunately CJ is looking for starter money (understandably) and we just couldn’t offer that to him.

IMHO, Brown is reliable. But can he be “the guy” if needed?

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
That is cheap for Brown. No brainer to resign him.

Given the uncertainty around Gurley, I wonder if this means Rams are comfortable riding Brown (if necessary) as the workhorse.

I for one was hoping that CJ would return, because he showed he could be “the guy.” Unfortunately CJ is looking for starter money (understandably) and we just couldn’t offer that to him.

IMHO, Brown is reliable. But can he be “the guy” if needed?

It is not like in the 80s and 90s where RBs are featured players. They are sort of complimentary to the passing game these days.

Add Todd Gurley to the equation and it should work.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/gurley-happy-to-have-brown-back

Friday, Apr 19, 2019

Gurley “super happy” to have Brown back for 2019
Myles Simmons

When restricted free agent running back Malcolm Brown signed an offer sheet with the Lions in mid-March, it wasn’t initially clear whether or not the Rams would match it.

After all, teams who sign a RFA to an offer sheet often structure the deal so that it’s difficult for the original team to match.That, however, was not the case for the Rams and Brown — as Los Angeles exercised its right of first refusal and now has Brown under contract through the 2020 season.

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent out of Texas in 2015, Brown has been a key member of the Rams’ special teams units over the last few seasons, but really showed his mettle on the team’s offense in 2018. Last year, Brown averaged 4.9 yards per carry and 10.4 yards per reception intermittently spelling running back Todd Gurley.

There’s been some discussion about Los Angeles perhaps leaning more on its second running back in order to help preserve Gurley’s health throughout the course of the season. While now-Lions running back C.J. Anderson clearly played a significant role in Los Angeles’ run to Super Bowl LIII last year, Gurley said he feels like Brown can handle whatever the Rams may ask him to do on the offensive end.

“Malcolm’s been doing what he’s been doing these last couple years. Even last year, even before he got hurt, he’s always been reliable,” Gurley said. “If I go out, he’s doing the exact same thing. If not, he can do it better. So Malc’s a great running back."

“It doesn’t really matter who’s in the game — me, Malcolm, ‘JD’ [Justin Davis], John Kelly,” Gurley continued. “That’s why we’ve got such a great offense. It doesn’t really matter about the player. It’s about the whole system, everybody doing it. And we’ve got a great coach in coach McVay that’s going to put us in great positions. So being with a guy like that, there’s definitely no worries.”

But even though Gurley has trust in all the Rams’ backs, there’s something special about his relationship with Brown.

“[O]bviously it’s different for us because we came in the same year, we’ve been in the same room for years to come, so I’m stoked that we brought him back,” Gurley said. “I’m glad he’s not with Detroit, for sure.” But because Gurley and Brown entered the league in the same year, Brown sticking around L.A. has some significance to the 2017 AP Offensive Player of the Year.

“I was happy. Malc’s my boy,” Gurley said of his reaction to finding out the Rams matched the Lions’ offer sheet. “I’m super happy he’s back, though — super happy. That’s my guy, so I’m happy for him.”