Latest cap space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ian Rapoport is reporting that Garoppolo's base is $4.5M (likely 2024 cap hit), with significant incentives based on playing-time should Stafford be injured. Don't recall the Rams (under McVay) making that kind of salary cap commitment for the back-up-QB.

Personally, I think it's money well spent.
Wonder if this means Bennett could earn a spot on the team to be the #2 for the first 2 games? (While Garoppolo is on suspension)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wonder if this means Bennett could earn a spot on the team to be the #2 for the first 2 games? (While Garoppolo is on suspension)
Possibly. And Jimmy G is only a one year contract. Would not be shocked if Rams draft a QB 3 this year and keep him on the squad.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
BTW, the Rams will likley open up more space with a few moves that could easily happen.

1. Donald will come off the roster on June 1st. This actually saves the Rams $1.2M, while incurring $24 of dead cap.

2. Tutu Atwell gets moved in a draft day trade... Saves $1.6M.

3. They decide to move on from Hunter long. Saves $1.3M.

Now each move means those players salaries will be replaced on the top 51 by a min salary that is currently not on the top 51. Those salaries are currently at $795K.

So that's roughly 2.4M for 3 guys.

So deducting that from the $4.1M saved in those 3 moves, they will likley open up $1.7M in cap room.

Not earth shattering, but it matters

Psycho_X

Legend
I would think so if he is on the team still. If Bennett is still in the Rams plans at all this year I'd assume Bennett would also get the majority of the preseason work as well. We'll have to pick up a 4th QB somewhere along the way for preseason cleanup and camp arm so we'll know pretty quickly where Bennett stands if he's even on the roster still come camp.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Darious Williams' cap number now updated, the Rams have (according to overthecap.com) $20,760,851 remaining, without including Jimmy G., Kurl or Rozeboom yet. The only other 'known' element is $1,209,999 will be added post June 1 when the Donald retirement becomes official.

Philly brought up a couple of reasonable possibilities for Tutu and Hunter Long as well, so there is potential there, and for Stafford to restructure if necessary.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Darious Williams' cap number now updated, the Rams have (according to overthecap.com) $20,760,851 remaining, without including Jimmy G., Kurl or Rozeboom yet. The only other 'known' element is $1,209,999 will be added post June 1 when the Donald retirement becomes official.

Philly brought up a couple of reasonable possibilities for Tutu and Hunter Long as well, so there is potential there, and for Stafford to restructure if necessary.

I heard a report yesterday that $20M frees up post June 1st due to Donald retirement. I don’t see how that is possible. But every time I think I have cap numbers figured out, I’m almost always wrong. And I don’t get how we don’t have cap numbers for Kurl, Roze, or Jimmy G yet. Do players sign and don’t iron out the details until weeks later? Do they operate on promises on the details or do teams just use some signings to cloud their cap numbers ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard a report yesterday that $20M frees up post June 1st due to Donald retirement. I don’t see how that is possible. But every time I think I have cap numbers figured out, I’m almost always wrong. And I don’t get how we don’t have cap numbers for Kurl, Roze, or Jimmy G yet. Do players sign and don’t iron out the details until weeks later? Do they operate on promises on the details or do teams just use some signings to cloud their cap numbers ?
I heard it was $1.5 million.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
BTW, the Rams will likley open up more space with a few moves that could easily happen.

1. Donald will come off the roster on June 1st. This actually saves the Rams $1.2M, while incurring $24 of dead cap.

2. Tutu Atwell gets moved in a draft day trade... Saves $1.6M.

3. They decide to move on from Hunter long. Saves $1.3M.

Now each move means those players salaries will be replaced on the top 51 by a min salary that is currently not on the top 51. Those salaries are currently at $795K.

So that's roughly 2.4M for 3 guys.

So deducting that from the $4.1M saved in those 3 moves, they will likley open up $1.7M in cap room.

Not earth shattering, but it matters
What do you think Tutu gets in a trade? I just don't know that anything they get will be more valuable than letting him play the season.
Flawed.. but.. knows the O and can make some plays. Hopefully he's your number 5 guy.. but right now, he's number 4.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Kupp, Nacua, Robinson, Atwell... who else?
Ben Skow.. at least one draft pick, imo.
Wouldn't mind a true outside target with a top 3 round pick.. then a guy who's a legit return/YAC threat later on. A Brandon Powell type.. but I'd hope with a little more speed.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Ben Skow.. at least one draft pick, imo.
Wouldn't mind a true outside target with a top 3 round pick.. then a guy who's a legit return/YAC threat later on. A Brandon Powell type.. but I'd hope with a little more speed.
Skow still on the roster?!?! Wasn't sure. So I doubt they see a need at WR.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Skow still on the roster?!?! Wasn't sure. So I doubt they see a need at WR.
They don't need one, but with Robinson, Skow and Tutu all FAs at the end of this year, they will prioritize succession planning with at least one WR in the draft and likely a couple of UDFAs (where they have had some success in the past).

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

What do you think Tutu gets in a trade? I just don't know that anything they get will be more valuable than letting him play the season.
Flawed.. but.. knows the O and can make some plays. Hopefully he's your number 5 guy.. but right now, he's number 4.
I could see Tutu & 154 might get you 135ish

Or 196 & Tutu, gets you 165... something like that.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams are going to succeed this year, it will be through the sheer willpower of Les Snead and Sean McVay.

Here are the top eight salaries for the Rams by cap number this year:

1711136487183.png

Cooper Kupp is definitely being paid well for past performance. Hopefully he returns to full health and skill, but it is reasonable to assume we will never see 2021-22 Kupp again. This make me very sad, but let's move past that.

Aaron Donald - the GOAT - has retired, leaving behind spectacular memories and results, alongside a massive cap hit.

Higbee is likely lost for the bulk of the year, and who knows what he will be able to do when he returns from the injury (fuck the Lions).

Noteboom is generously a backup. And while his number is smaller than it used to be, it is still eighth on the team, while not actually owning a spot as a starter unless there is an injury.

So, long story longer, the Rams are only going to receive full benefit from four of their top eight salaries (and the only $10M+ cap hits): Stafford and three dudes paid to keep Stafford upright - Hav, Jonah Jackson and KDot. With some hope for Kupp, and maybe a quarter of a season from Higbee?

The Rams have a good roster (a great offense) that will only get better with the additions made in the draft. But don't be mistaken, we are doing this with one hand tied behind our backs due to financial happenstance, and the only reason we are able to still be competitive (and hopefully more than that) is because of the coaching of Sean McVay and the players that Les has acquired at minimal cost through the draft and free agency.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If the Rams are going to succeed this year, it will be through the sheer willpower of Les Snead and Sean McVay.

Here are the top eight salaries for the Rams by cap number this year:

View attachment 64917

Cooper Kupp is definitely being paid well for past performance. Hopefully he returns to full health and skill, but it is reasonable to assume we will never see 2021-22 Kupp again. This make me very sad, but let's move past that.

Aaron Donald - the GOAT - has retired, leaving behind spectacular memories and results, alongside a massive cap hit.

Higbee is likely lost for the bulk of the year, and who knows what he will be able to do when he returns from the injury (fuck the Lions).

Noteboom is generously a backup. And while his number is smaller than it used to be, it is still eighth on the team, while not actually owning a spot as a starter unless there is an injury.

So, long story longer, the Rams are only going to receive full benefit from four of their top eight salaries (and the only $10M+ cap hits): Stafford and three dudes paid to keep Stafford upright - Hav, Jonah Jackson and KDot. With some hope for Kupp, and maybe a quarter of a season from Higbee?

The Rams have a good roster (a great offense) that will only get better with the additions made in the draft. But don't be mistaken, we are doing this with one hand tied behind our backs due to financial happenstance, and the only reason we are able to still be competitive (and hopefully more than that) is because of the coaching of Sean McVay and the players that Les has acquired at minimal cost through the draft and free agency.
A lot of teams have this issue with just dead cap space.

After Kelcie & Cox come off the Eagles roster, post June 1st, they will have $30M in dead cap. If they move Reddick it will balloon to $50M. So same issue. I imagine teams like Buffalo, Miami, & San Diego have the same problem considering all the vets they released. So it's not uncommon.