LA Rams LB Cory Littleton earns 9th best free agent available in 2020 honors by Pro Football Focus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Rams can not afford to pay $14+ million for Littleton. He has been a great Ram and excellent coverage LB but I remember too many times seeing RBs blow by our LBs. We need some 2 solid LBs that can stuff the run instead of one very good ILB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ron Baretell was a SHITTY draft tweener from Stanford. Cory Littleton is a UDFA that
LES SNEAD should have PAID !!!!

Cory Littleton has earned his FA value because of his play on the field. He has always stepped up & been a playmaker.
He was a special teams gem.

It still pisses me of Cory Littleton does not get much love. He has been a Top Ram.
If there is a player who Cory Littleton reminds me of is a guy like London Fletcher.
I know that is a little bit of a stretch, but a better example than Ron Bartell.

Bartell actually came from Howard, and he was a solid, if not spectacular corner with us. If I recall correctly, he got injured in Oakland and was never the same.

But yeah, about Littleton; I wouldn't re-sign him. He'll get even more than Kwon Alexander did, and Alexander got 14 million a year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just saw article on Ram URFA’s this season & couldn’t help to think how DUMB MCSNEAD was with Cory Littleton ??

Am I missing something with this ??

Littleton was put as a URFA with a 2 rd. tag.
Couldn’t They Rams have locked Cory Littleton into a ling term contract instead of just letting his contract roll over for a one year deal ??

I guess I’m mad because coming off the Super Bowl loss to NE Cory was The Rams MVP imo. It just showed how much he improved & was a All Pro special teams player while also being the Mic’ LB.

I’m cool with losing him for a comp pick now for what he is OWED. I just think over paying players & not paying players who have earned a nice it sucks.

Examples are Gurley & Rob Havenstien. Cory Higbee was an excellent call, which I was questioning only because they never used him right until Everett got hurt.

Goff I believe will restructure his contract for the best of The Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bartell actually came from Howard, and he was a solid, if not spectacular corner with us. If I recall correctly, he got injured in Oakland and was never the same.

But yeah, about Littleton; I wouldn't re-sign him. He'll get even more than Kwon Alexander did, and Alexander got 14 million a year.

OJ Atogwe was the guy at 66
Bartel was #50

Bartel was a tall CB , but he played stiff. Wow just going back in time & think The Rams McSnead do such a good job in the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead GM decisions has the Rams residing close to being poverty-stricken in the upcoming next year 2021 draft. Only 4 draft selections.

Thus, I am hoping that this highest rated 2020 UFA LB Cory Littleton receives numerous contract offers in excess of $15 million a year. Sure would come in handy in the {CDPA's} Compensatory Draft Pick Awards for the 2021 on the LA Rams behalf.

If UFA LB Blake Martinez has an estimated market value of over $16.3 million a year then Cory should be just as close if not better.

Bobby Wagner got $18 million a year & CJ Mosley got $17 million.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If UFA LB Blake Martinez has an estimated market value of over $16.3 million a year then Cory should be just as close if not better.
And Blake Martinez was not worth that figure. He's not an elite LB by any stretch in fact the Packers overpaid and it won't be long before they're trying to get out from under it.

I agree it will be very nice if some team overpays Littleton. Bring on that round 3 pick ahh yeeeuh!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And Blake Martinez was not worth that figure. He's not an elite LB by any stretch in fact the Packers overpaid and it won't be long before they're trying to get out from under it.

I agree it will be very nice if some team overpays Littleton. Bring on that round 3 pick ahh yeeeuh!

Les always talks about winning against the other 3 teams in the NFC West on draft weekend. This is a good example of Les working magic after the draft. Just think they needed to resign Cory last season. A 3rd comp works if Kiser is the answer . Even Reeder ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Les always talks about winning against the other 3 teams in the NFC West on draft weekend. This is a good example of Les working magic after the draft. Just think they needed to resign Cory last season. A 3rd comp works if Kiser is the answer . Even Reeder ?
Paying Corey last season probably would have been more than what they want to spend on a guy who is contact shy in the run game. Unless it was extremely team friendly.

My take on Kiser is solely related to his college film where he was not good in space/coverage. But that doesn't mean he hasn't learned and improved in practice during his time thus far. So yeah who knows maybe he's got a chance.

Reeder is a guy a lot of posters don't like. I think he might have more to him than many realize (he run fills nicely but can he improve enough vs the pass to stay on the field?), but it's not like I'm looking at him as a guy I can trust to do the job.

Our ILB positions are short on talent basically. We need an infusion of young LB talent there and at OLB with both Littleton and Fowler probably walking in FA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I'm thinking about this consider the LB corps our new DC has worked with in Chicago and Denver. Chicago's LB depth chart was particularly talented (Roquan Smith, Danny Trevathan, Khalil Mack, even Kwiatkoski as a backup), but either way I think after he's done scrubbing our defensive film LB is going to be a position where he wants more talent.

They might make a run at Kwiatkoski (or Correa) who showed some very good film and knows this defense. Question is will NK get a lot of suitors, i.e. he will need to be affordable. And I really like Matakevich too (Steelers) who should be cheap and help our teams if they go cheaper. Lastly the draft has a chance to offer up a nice LB option early and there are some depth/dev types the Rams are looking at like Cameron Brown (interviewed).

Very high chance we see new blood at ILB at the very least and maybe both ILB and OLB.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I just saw article on Ram URFA’s this season & couldn’t help to think how DUMB MCSNEAD was with Cory Littleton ??

Am I missing something with this ??

I thought the Rams should have gotten CL on longer-term deal.

Other psoters have stated that CL probably wanted to go to free agency to get a big payday. He has stated that he wants to make as much money as he can. I think he wanted to put up another solid year and test the market.

It looks like Cl will command too much money for the Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
While I'm thinking about this consider the LB corps our new DC has worked with in Chicago and Denver. Chicago's LB depth chart was particularly talented (Roquan Smith, Danny Trevathan, Khalil Mack, even Kwiatkoski as a backup), but either way I think after he's done scrubbing our defensive film LB is going to be a position where he wants more talent.

They might make a run at Kwiatkoski (or Correa) who showed some very good film and knows this defense. Question is will NK get a lot of suitors, i.e. he will need to be affordable. And I really like Matakevich too (Steelers) who should be cheap and help our teams if they go cheaper. Lastly the draft has a chance to offer up a nice LB option early and there are some depth/dev types the Rams are looking at like Cameron Brown (interviewed).

Very high chance we see new blood at ILB at the very least and maybe both ILB and OLB.

Will see how it plays out, but I’ve been one that does think LBer is the position most of need. I also think a WR playmaker is of need because of the talent.

Been behind this young OL moving forward. I do think there are holes that need to be addressed, but getting younger in the draft makes no sense to me.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I don't think it's as impossible to re-sign Littleton as some make it out to be. Being a legit contender means everyone you let walk (even backups) are probably gonna get signed PDQ.
This situation will be no exception. "You can't sign/keep everyone" is a common mantra during the offseason, but letting an overachiever who has fought for and earned everything he has as a football player go does not bode well for this franchise.

Some no brainers as well as a couple unpopular suggestions:
1) cut Mathews. That adds $3.75mil. Do we really believe in Oko enough to merit another shot? If so, then this is really an obvious move. If not, cut them both and draft another "Oko" late and try again. That puts the cap addition to over $4mil.
2) trade Everett. Last year it looked like Higbee was the guy, but the Rams finally used him the way any other team would have.
Trading Everett adds nearly $2mil to the cap. With his new expanded role, the Rams can either pass OR run at any time with Higbee on the field.
3) Let's face it, the Rams have to add a bigger back to compliment or replace Gurley. Henderson is not the guy to do it on his own. Yes, I'm aware of Malcolm Brown, but picking up a younger replacement gives the Rams nearly $1.1mil more to throw in ( more if he's traded).
--we're up to over $7mil now to add to the cap.
4) cut Smart. If the Rams thought he was the guy (some day), they wouldn't need both Gaines and SJ. Actually, none of those guys impressed to the point they are locks to return this year, but cutting Smart saves over $750,00.
5) now that we're down to nickel and diming, can't we find a long snapper for less than $1mil?
6) very risky,but if the Rams draft a starting caliber CB, Hill can go and that would save over $3mil in a trade.

That's around $12 mil just to throw at Littleton and we really haven't done anything drastic like trade Havs or Reynolds (who would start on a bunch of teams).

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I have to say goodbye to Cory Littleton just like I said goodbye to Rodney McLeod. Homegrown talent Snead picked up either in the late rounds or undrafted that leaves for another team just as they’ve developed into a solid starter.
It stung at first but then I got over it.
It’s always a case of the Cap and being a deep team.
Look at the talent lurking:
Kiser
Copeland
Ogbonnia
Gaines
Darious Williams
And I like Reeder
Polite
There is a lot of other developing talent on this team that will step up next season — despite our fixation with improving the poor performance of last years Offensive line - we have lots of young talent that deserves the chance to turn into solid starters. Just like Littleton and McLeod. Guys like Allen, Noteboom, Edwards, Corbett, Evans + will be a lot better next year and more in unison.

We have guys like Kupp, Rapp, Ebukam, Christian, etc... John Johnson 3, Higbeast — i mean holy shit — This organization knows how to acquire talent.

Players Snead and Co acquire and develop who go on to greener pastures will continue to be something we Ram fans will have to deal with every two to three years. It’s a sign of a healthy team.
I wish Cory Littleton well but we’ll be bringing on more affordable and younger replacements soon.
Go Rams!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Cory Littleton was my favorite defensive player.

I still believe CL @ 27 is an ascending NFL player. I expect when CL arrives @ his new team that the DC will tap CL's stealthy great interior pass rush skills.....something not done here the last 3 seasons. I will be very sad to see him depart this team.

This is one player who deserves a good increase in pay. Shame it will not be in LA. Rams salary cap funds have been mandated for other Rams making it mostly impossible to even consider making CL a new suitable contract offer. Demoff does have some mounting high cost contracts now & many are clear on the side of being overpaid vs present game day productions.

I believe that Snead has done a good job (y):)for this upcoming 2020 season @ ILB'er. I do not think that our new DC will be upset with his five ILB prospects

Micah Kiser who was to be the starting ILB'er in 2019 will return from the full season on the IR. He was injured early in preseason & had to undergo surgery on his left pectoral. Kiser has a good rookie season in 2018 as the MLB'er back up to Littleton. Kiser is only 24 yrs old. Kiser is considered much more MLB'er that WSILB'er.

Travin Howard who is only 23 yrs old was also drafted the same yr as Kiser had a good 2019 season as the top reserve WSILB'er. As the season went on Howard came on. In games in which he was on the field with the defense his impact was felt positively. He had late season surge & anticipate WSILB Travin Howard as a 2020 starter next to MLB'er Kiser in 2020.

MLB'er Troy Reader who was a 2019 UDFA was a 3 season starting college strong side OLB'er till became a Ram. Rookie Reader had over 8 starts & played in all 16 gms. Reader is not an athletic LB'er with much speed, but he is a deep football thinker that the Rams Org were fast to discover. As a part-time mostly run stopper Troy has over 52 involved tackles & 2 forced fumbles. Reader played @ 6-3 250 plus lbs is a force when assigned to back up the middle of the DL on run downs. Sadly Reader was assigned duties covering fast tailbacks & fast TE's way too often. I would expect that the next time we Troy... he will be different shredding pounds of excess fat & serious muscle tone MLB'er for serious 2020 bang time in the box.

Snead went hunting for some experienced ILB'er help after starter Kiser went on IR. WSILB'er Kenny Young became a Ram in the trade of Marcus Peters to the Ravens. Young is entering his 4th season has 30 NFL gms & 6 starts. Last season he played in 9 gms. Young is from LA & it is his home. He is a former UCLA LB standout. Snead scout team had eyes on Young before he was drafted early in the 4th round. Snead knew Young is really talented explosive athlete that was needed to added to the WSILB'ing positions. Young could easily end up as our starting ILB'er.

Lastly entering the ILB'er picture is UDFA Patrick Natrez. Natrez was a big surprise to make the 2019 roster & even a bigger surprise to do it as a edge rusher. Natrez was a trouble star MLB'er @ UGA. Appears to me that Natrez got his act together finally in 2019 & turned in some hard work for our team. NP played in 9 gms. Not sure where Natrez will end up yet either on the edge or inside, but he will be playing someone & just put him in he will give you all he has.

Just read this after reading this after posting my 2 cents — i think you’ve said it best

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

I hear what you're saying AFA replacement costs having to be accounted for, but if they're rookies, they won't cost a ton. My numbers came off of spotrac today but there's always a chance I misunderstood.

I don't see the attachment to backups and unproven players over a guy who has played exceptional ball since he came here and is likely hitting his prime.

Everett's window has probably been closed a bit unless we plan on backing off of Higbee's usage. THAT would be a mistake in my opinion. Drafting another TE to develop might be a better option.

Players come and players go, I get that, but why would we let starters go to keep backups simply because they're cheaper? None of the guys I mentioned should be harder to replace than Littleton. I like to be optimistic too (after all, I am a fan of the team), but I didn't see as much out of guys like I keep hearing mentioned on here, especially at LB and DL.

Just my opinion

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I've heard about a zillion FAs use the "I'd really like to stay here" verbiage, until they get a huge pile of money tossed at them...Then it's about 10 mins before their locker is cleaned out..And rightfully so, as most of them only get one BIG multi-year contract...I think he's probably gone, but I'm probably the most worthless excuse for a cap guy here...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've heard about a zillion FAs use the "I'd really like to stay here" verbiage, until they get a huge pile of money tossed at them...Then it's about 10 mins before their locker is cleaned out..And rightfully so, as most of them only get one BIG multi-year contract...I think he's probably gone, but I'm probably the most worthless excuse for a cap guy here...

why does the name roger saffold ring a bell?

maybe because he did it twice to the rams.