LA Rams LB Cory Littleton earns 9th best free agent available in 2020 honors by Pro Football Focus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not much point in carrying on with discussions about extending Littleton if he can't be Transition Tagged due to the 30% rule, he's done as a Ram. Top brass had to be aware of this last year when extending him might have made more sense, so it appears keeping him was never really part of the plan.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It's crazy he was an UDFA and has become one of the best LBs in the league.

If we do resign him I hope he moves over to the weak LB spot and plays the role that reeder was playing I think he is much better suited for that role. I would expect them to draft or bring in a bigger LB to plug up the middle to sure up our run d

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Losing him could provide a good opportunity to move to a 4-3, right?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm actually pleased with what the 30% rule does in limiting the capacity for restructuring as i'd prefer not to push CAP debt down the road for a quick fix now.

While Tagging Littleton for 2020 could preserve his current status with us for another season as we seek his future replacement in the draft/FA may be doable from a Rams perspective, i'd be hard pressed to believe outside teams won't be offering Littleton long term contracts that we can't come anywhere near matching. If i'm Littleton or his agent i'd be seeking the longer contract which is likely to include a big signing bonus which at least matches his salary derived by the Tag, as well as future guarantees, ... and then there is also the health security angle as should he be injured on a one year deal with the Rams, he may never again be considered for such a big new contract. It's just speculation on my part, but if the Rams had long term plans for Littleton, they would have gotten it done last season, ... as it is now, I don't see a Transition Tag accomplishing much, and may not even be applied.
jmo.

TexasRam

Legend
If the Rams can’t get one of the top Olineman in Free Agency then maybe we bring back Littleton.:unsure:

dang

Legend
Rams have options at OLB. Other than Littleton I don’t see much at ILB. So I really hope they find a way to keep him and add a thumper ILB to shore up the run defense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here are what the 2019 Franchise and Transition Tag costs were in 2019 :

Franchise Tags

QB: $24.865 million
RB: $11.214 million
WR: $16.787 million
TE: $10.387 million
OL: $14.067 million
DE: $17.128 million
DT: $15.209 million
LB: $15.443 million
CB: $16.022 million
S: $11.15 million
K/P: $4.971 million

Transition Tags

QB: $22.783 million
RB: $9.099 million
WR: $14.794 million
TE: $8.815 million
OL: $12.866 million
DE: $14.36 million
DT: $12.378 million
LB: $13.222 million
CB: $13.703 million
S: $9.531 million
K/P: $4.537 million
CHEAP!

MachS

Hall of Fame
We have to resign him, even if it means losing Fowler. We saw the hole in our LB core last year with Reeder and how ugly that was, we cannot afford to let one of the LBs in football walk.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have options at OLB. Other than Littleton I don’t see much at ILB. So I really hope they find a way to keep him and add a thumper ILB to shore up the run defense.
Cory Littleton was my favorite defensive player.

I still believe CL @ 27 is an ascending NFL player. I expect when CL arrives @ his new team that the DC will tap CL's stealthy great interior pass rush skills.....something not done here the last 3 seasons. I will be very sad to see him depart this team.

This is one player who deserves a good increase in pay. Shame it will not be in LA. Rams salary cap funds have been mandated for other Rams making it mostly impossible to even consider making CL a new suitable contract offer. Demoff does have some mounting high cost contracts now & many are clear on the side of being overpaid vs present game day productions.

I believe that Snead has done a good job (y):)for this upcoming 2020 season @ ILB'er. I do not think that our new DC will be upset with his five ILB prospects

Micah Kiser who was to be the starting ILB'er in 2019 will return from the full season on the IR. He was injured early in preseason & had to undergo surgery on his left pectoral. Kiser has a good rookie season in 2018 as the MLB'er back up to Littleton. Kiser is only 24 yrs old. Kiser is considered much more MLB'er that WSILB'er.

Travin Howard who is only 23 yrs old was also drafted the same yr as Kiser had a good 2019 season as the top reserve WSILB'er. As the season went on Howard came on. In games in which he was on the field with the defense his impact was felt positively. He had late season surge & anticipate WSILB Travin Howard as a 2020 starter next to MLB'er Kiser in 2020.

MLB'er Troy Reader who was a 2019 UDFA was a 3 season starting college strong side OLB'er till became a Ram. Rookie Reader had over 8 starts & played in all 16 gms. Reader is not an athletic LB'er with much speed, but he is a deep football thinker that the Rams Org were fast to discover. As a part-time mostly run stopper Troy has over 52 involved tackles & 2 forced fumbles. Reader played @ 6-3 250 plus lbs is a force when assigned to back up the middle of the DL on run downs. Sadly Reader was assigned duties covering fast tailbacks & fast TE's way too often. I would expect that the next time we Troy... he will be different shredding pounds of excess fat & serious muscle tone MLB'er for serious 2020 bang time in the box.

Snead went hunting for some experienced ILB'er help after starter Kiser went on IR. WSILB'er Kenny Young became a Ram in the trade of Marcus Peters to the Ravens. Young is entering his 4th season has 30 NFL gms & 6 starts. Last season he played in 9 gms. Young is from LA & it is his home. He is a former UCLA LB standout. Snead scout team had eyes on Young before he was drafted early in the 4th round. Snead knew Young is really talented explosive athlete that was needed to added to the WSILB'ing positions. Young could easily end up as our starting ILB'er.

Lastly entering the ILB'er picture is UDFA Patrick Natrez. Natrez was a big surprise to make the 2019 roster & even a bigger surprise to do it as a edge rusher. Natrez was a trouble star MLB'er @ UGA. Appears to me that Natrez got his act together finally in 2019 & turned in some hard work for our team. NP played in 9 gms. Not sure where Natrez will end up yet either on the edge or inside, but he will be playing someone & just put him in he will give you all he has.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have to resign him, even if it means losing Fowler. We saw the hole in our LB core last year with Reeder and how ugly that was, we cannot afford to let one of the LBs in football walk.
I was under the impression Rams could not afford to sign him & would have very little to say about his walk.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Is it possible the Rams knew some time ago they would have a new DC and the decision still has not been made? I am no cap expert but most teams seem to figure out a way to sign players the fans think improbable.

I hope he's back. Sounds like it's unlikely. Time will tell.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was under the impression Rams could not afford to sign him & would have very little to say about his walk.

Let me ask you this , ... are you more concerned about losing Fowler, Brockers & littleton for 2020, or more worried about losing Ramsey, Kupp & JJ3 for 2021 ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me ask you this , ... are you more concerned about losing Fowler, Brockers & littleton for 2020, or more worried about losing Ramsey, Kupp & JJ3 for 2021 ?
I'd personally much rather keep the 2nd group long term.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think it to be smart to utilize the time to work on future salary contracts of near young pro bowl players like Ramsey- Kupp & JJ III NOW & get ahead to prevent what we have presently ongoing with Littleton, Brockers, Fowler & Greg Zuerlein.

I personally would go this route too. Ramsey's contract is going to be rough go. Demoff /Snead & the Rams team too would be in serious trouble if they loose Ramsey after unloading all that priceless Ram assets (Draft Selections). The Rams Org. will need Ramsey/ Rapp/ JJ III starting in their secondary in order to content with 9ers/Seahawks.