LA Rams LB Cory Littleton earns 9th best free agent available in 2020 honors by Pro Football Focus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Offseason Outlook: What are the options for Rams LB Cory Littleton as he enters free agency?

When inside linebacker Cory Littleton signed with the Rams in 2016, general manager Les Snead said he believed they guaranteed him the most money of any undrafted free agent that year.

Since then, Littleton has evolved from a special teams standout to a key piece in the middle of Los Angeles' defense. Now, he is scheduled to become a free agent for a second time and likely to command a much more lucrative deal when the new league year begins.

Littleton led the Rams with 134 total tackles in 2019, a figure which also tied with the Broncos' Todd Davis for eighth-most this season. Scouting service Pro Football Focus (PFF), which evaluated 179 linebackers in the regular season, gave him the highest tackle grade at his position with a 91.6. A 90.0 or higher is considered an elite grade, and Littleton was the only one to accomplish the feat among those who played at least 80 percent of their team's defensive snaps.

The former University of Washington standout also played a pivotal role in coverage with nine pass breakups and two interceptions. PFF's evaluation of him in that category also reinforced this, as his 82.2 coverage grade ranked ninth-highest at his position.

Asked about the final game of the season in Week 17, Littleton said it was the last opportunity for him to be a Ram and play alongside his teammates of the last four years. A reporter followed up on that remark by asking if that was set it stone, but Littleton said he hoped it wasn't and expressed a desire to return to the team.
"I've spent four years here, I've loved being here," Littleton said. "If it's possible, it would be nice, but if not, I understand."

Littleton's options for rejoining in the Rams include re-signing with the them before or after the start of free agency on March 18. Alternatively, the club could also place a tag on Littleton – either the transition tag, non-exclusive franchise tag, or exclusive franchise tag.

The transition tag would allow the Rams to match any offer Littleton receives on the open market. The non-exclusive franchise tag would allow Littleton to negotiate with other teams, but if he reached a deal with another team, that team would owe the Rams significant compensation to sign him. The exclusive franchise tag would prevent Littleton from negotiating with other teams. If Littleton received a tag and signed it, he would be under a one-year contract with L.A. Plus, the team would have until July 15 to sign Littleton to a long-term deal.

Snead said Tuesday he is open to using both a franchise and a transition tag this offseason if it creates a "healthy win-win," but he doesn't want it to lead to any "bad karma" between them and the player that could potentially make its way back to the locker room.

If Littleton does not re-sign, Los Angeles has a few internal options it could go to for his replacement.

Second-year pro Micah Kiser was slated to start alongside Littleton at the other inside linebacker spot before a suffering a season-ending pectoral injury in August. L.A. could also turn to another former undrafted free agent in Troy Reeder, who collected 54 total tackles and two forced fumbles while appearing in all 16 games with eight starts as a rookie this season. Travin Howard, a 2018 seventh-round pick who played in all 16 games in a reserve role, is another possibility.

A fourth option is Bryce Hager, who replaced Kiser but later landed on injured reserve in November with a season-ending shoulder injury. He is the most experienced of the bunch, but the Rams would have to re-sign him as he is also scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent like Littleton.

Rams head coach Sean McVay has previously said the responsibilities at each of two inside linebacker positions are interchangeable, so all four would seem to be feasible candidates to take Littleton's place.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Not sure what kind of price the tag would carry but sure would be nice to have Cory back in horns next season.
The other options on the team may be able to fill his role, but at the same level? Don't think so.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not sure what kind of price the tag would carry but sure would be nice to have Cory back in horns next season.
The other options on the team may be able to fill his role, but at the same level? Don't think so.

Here are what the 2019 Franchise and Transition Tag costs were in 2019 :

Franchise Tags

QB: $24.865 million
RB: $11.214 million
WR: $16.787 million
TE: $10.387 million
OL: $14.067 million
DE: $17.128 million
DT: $15.209 million
LB: $15.443 million
CB: $16.022 million
S: $11.15 million
K/P: $4.971 million

Transition Tags

QB: $22.783 million
RB: $9.099 million
WR: $14.794 million
TE: $8.815 million
OL: $12.866 million
DE: $14.36 million
DT: $12.378 million
LB: $13.222 million
CB: $13.703 million
S: $9.531 million
K/P: $4.537 million

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Yeah, don't see that happening. He's been one of my favorite players since the Rams signed him as an UDFA. Hope they can sign him without using a tag.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Rams finally find and develop a great LB and can't afford him after paying Gurley, Cooks, Goff and Donald. If Allen and Noteboom panned out smoother, you could sign him IMO. There's too many question marks on the O line and the D line to spend the money on Littleton. It's a damn shame too, because he's a quiet leader that will fit any locker room.
I won't complain if he's resigned one bit, I just think the money needs to go to O line and pass rush first.

Ram65

Legend
Littleton led the Rams with 134 total tackles in 2019, a figure which also tied with the Broncos' Todd Davis for eighth-most this season. Scouting service Pro Football Focus (PFF), which evaluated 179 linebackers in the regular season, gave him the highest tackle grade at his position with a 91.6. A 90.0 or higher is considered an elite grade, and Littleton was the only one to accomplish the feat among those who played at least 80 percent of their team's defensive snaps.

The former University of Washington standout also played a pivotal role in coverage with nine pass breakups and two interceptions. PFF's evaluation of him in that category also reinforced this, as his 82.2 coverage grade ranked ninth-highest at his position.

Really high grades. No one on the Ram's current roster could replace him, especially in the coverage area. Kiser was not a cover LBer in college.

I underestimated his value in another thread. I was thinking maybe 12 Mil per year average. It looks like a bit more than that.

LB: $13.222 million

That's the transition tag! I was thinking a 10Mil cap hit for 2020 on a long term deal. Maybe around 12Mil would be closer. It is tough to resign him and tough to let him go. I think the Rams find a way to resign him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Really high grades. No one on the Ram's current roster could replace him, especially in the coverage area. Kiser was not a cover LBer in college.

I underestimated his value in another thread. I was thinking maybe 12 Mil per year average. It looks like a bit more than that.

That's the transition tag! I was thinking a 10Mil cap hit for 2020 on a long term deal. Maybe around 12Mil would be closer. It is tough to resign him and tough to let him go. I think the Rams find a way to resign him.

@jrry32 had previously mentioned potentially giving Fowler the Franchise Tag in hope of a tag & trade, and also giving Littleton the Transition Tag. I favor the idea, making Fowler designated as a "non-exclusive" franchise player allowing him to shop himself while the Rams do the same. Both tags can be withdrawn if not signed by the player. You might think that the boost in the one year salary would make any player automatically want to sign immediately, but then he's not protected against injury as would happen with a long-term contract, there is also no big signing bonus and long term guaranteed money, although the Tag money would be guaranteed.
jmo.

Ram65

Legend
@jrry32 had previously mentioned potentially giving Fowler the Franchise Tag in hope of a tag & trade, and also giving Littleton the Transition Tag. I favor the idea, making Fowler designated as a "non-exclusive" franchise player allowing him to shop himself while the Rams do the same. Both tags can be withdrawn if not signed by the player. You might think that the boost in the one year salary would make any player automatically want to sign immediately, but then he's not protected against injury as would happen with a long-term contract, there is also no big signing bonus and long term guaranteed money, although the Tag money would be guaranteed.
jmo.

I was more into resigning one which would be Littleton. Maybe they try what you said but, it could backfire and I think that tag money counts against the cap even before a player signs the contract but, I'm not sure. By resigning Littleton long term the Rams get a cap hit break early in the contract. If the Rams feel they can tag Fowler and get something out of a deal they could do it. I think all parties are going to have a good idea of player value. It's possible Littleton takes a little less to stay a Ram.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was more into resigning one which would be Littleton. Maybe they try what you said but, it could backfire and I think that tag money counts against the cap even before a player signs the contract but, I'm not sure. By resigning Littleton long term the Rams get a cap hit break early in the contract. If the Rams feel they can tag Fowler and get something out of a deal they could do it. I think all parties are going to have a good idea of player value. It's possible Littleton takes a little less to stay a Ram.

There are other ways the Rams might benefit signing either of these guys for only one year, that being they would be off the books in 2021 while we are trying to extend Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 & Everett all at the same time. Don't get me wrong, that's not what I want as I am again back to preferring Whitworth & another being the current state of our OL, and he too will be off the books with only a one year contract. The Rams have options for extending multiple players if they care to negatively impact our future CAP by restructuring Goff earlier than previously scheduled, and we can still trade or CAP cut others to create additional space.
Snead and Demoff are about to become very busy calculating all the possibilities.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Looks like you may be right, I just found this :

The tag binds the player to the team for one year if certain conditions are met. Each team only has one franchise tag (of either the exclusive or non-exclusive forms) and one transition tag per year. The transition tag can only be used if the team does not use a franchise tag.

Where it says 'and one transition tag' should probably read 'or' one transition tag. It goes on to basically say if you use the Franchise Tag, you're done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cory, it's been nice knowing you and rooting for you these few years but I wish you the best moving forward unless we play against whatever team overpays you. And thank you for the 3rd round comp pick.

Ram65

Legend
Looks like you may be right, I just found this :

The tag binds the player to the team for one year if certain conditions are met. Each team only has one franchise tag (of either the exclusive or non-exclusive forms) and one transition tag per year. The transition tag can only be used if the team does not use a franchise tag.

Where it says 'and one transition tag' should probably read 'or' one transition tag. It goes on to basically say if you use the Franchise Tag, you're done.

Teams can use both this year, the last year of the CBA allows it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Snead with his “bad karma” comment.
Bad karma by paying someone millions of dollars?
Shut up hippy and get it done.

Ram65

Legend
There are other ways the Rams might benefit signing either of these guys for only one year, that being they would be off the books in 2021 while we are trying to extend Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3 & Everett all at the same time. Don't get me wrong, that's not what I want as I am again back to preferring Whitworth & another being the current state of our OL, and he too will be off the books with only a one year contract. The Rams have options for extending multiple players if they care to negatively impact our future CAP by restructuring Goff earlier than previously scheduled, and we can still trade or CAP cut others to create additional space.
Snead and Demoff are about to become very busy calculating all the possibilities.

Below is a post I did in another thread. I was just trying to get an idea of some possible numbers the Rams could work with. After reading the Franchise and Transition Tag numbers I would jump CL average cap hit. They could still resign him at 11 to 12M with an average cap hit between LB: $13.222 million and $15.443 million and still have money to sign others. I don't like keeping a player for one year if they don't have to. Some of it will depend on what the market is for CL and if he would give the Rams a little discount. There is money if the Rams cut Weddle and Mathews as well as restructure possibilities.

I'm not sure how the Rams can make multiple resignings happen. We have to remember that they will have incentives taken off the approx $26 million cap space. That leaves them with around $20 million remaining. A long term deal for Ramsey can give them back a few million dollars.

I guess they could give Whitworth a two year deal with a nice signing bonus which they could eat half of the following year when they have more money. Give him a $6 million signing bonus and a $4 million salary. That would make his cap hit only $7 million next year. He gets $10 Million for the year. Rams eat 3M following year.

It would be nice to resign Littleton. I can see a four year deal with a very good signing bonus. If he would agree to a range of 12M a year he could only cost 9-10M against the cap.

Whatever the Rams do they are going to have to find some more cap space. Cuts of Mathews and Weddle would bring in some space. That is right about 8M. NRC is another 4M if they decide to go that way with Hill at near 3M. The first two are likely while they would have to replace the other two which isn't easy. There certainly could be some restructuring of a couple of deals.

Rams
20M Current space after incentives.
8M Weddle and Mathews cuts
3M Ramsey savings with long term deal
---------------------
31M Total.

Resign
10M Littleton
7M Whitworth
------------------
17M Total

That might be a little low for Littleton and Whitworth but in the ballpark, I hope. That leaves 14M for rookies, other RFA and JZ. Demoff and Pastorri can find another 5-8M by restructuring or other cut mentioned. Rams could still have 19-22M to help sign a free agent. Just typing on the fly to see what is possible. Looking at the cap number of 20M may not be as bad as it seems.

Ram65

Legend

Let us know who the Rams could restructure to save money. I remember recently we mentioned it but, no details. I said they don't do much of it and you said enough to sign free agents.

The obvious ways to gain cap space are cutting Weddle and Mathews.

One bad thing in the article is teams have to account for bonuses reach in 2020 as soon as they occur. Rams seem to have good bonuses every year for players. Hopefully, they limited them for 2020.

By the way, I was hoping you could start a salary cap thread that gives a clearer picture of the Rams available cap money in 2020. You mentioned incentives in another thread that will lower the near $26 Million the Rams have to around $20 Million. Members are still using the $26 Million number. I think we need a good salary cap thread that gives everyone realistic numbers about resigning, signing free agents, restructuring, cutting or trading players. You have the best insights on the money!