Kobe Bryant Dead in Helicopter Crash.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, I'm still in shock over this. Dude seemed invincible. Those poor families. Fuck....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sounds like our Lakers fandom started about the same time.

I listened to the Lakers on the radio starting in 1971. They won the Championship that year against the Knicks. Chamberlain, West, Goodrich, McMillan, Hairston. Will never forget that year and my imagination seeing the games in my head listening on the radio.

It just dawned on me that we have just lost our next Lakers ambassador to bring us to the next one. We have not been without one in over 50 years.

Today is just so sad for so many of us. It touches my childhood. Powerful.

We pray for Kobe, his family, and all the others affected by this most unfortunate tragedy.

Well, and all credit for Chick Hearn who painted word pictures that were incredible...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
As a lifelong Laker fan, I’m really struggling with this.

I thought I was doing ok, or maybe I was just rejecting the news, I really don’t know. ..but then my work day ended and I headed home. While waiting on take out Chinese, I took out my phone and began reading the reactions from across the world. Instantly It began to hit me and the lump I my throat started. Doc Rivers barely being able to get through his pre game interview....man...tough. I had to step out and go sit in my truck for privacy.

My dinner was ready in 10 minutes. I’m sure I let it sit for 30 before I finally put down my phone, wiped my eyes and went back inside.

in some twisted way I’ve found comfort in the love being shown for Bean this afternoon. I’m riveted by the unending love and praise. I’m sad...but proud. And I don’t know how to feel about that.

I hate to compare, but I can recall in my lifetime only two other tragic events that shook across multiple generations and continents likes this. Princess Diana, and Dale Earnhardt. Alot would say Michael Jackson and I get that.. Some would add Payne Stewart or Roberto Clemente for thier impacts. But for us in our world...this is tough man. Really really hard to understand and accept.

I was thinking about Lady Di as well.... like... I have always been pretty vocal about not liking monarchies, but when I saw the news... I was terribly emotional and couldn't stop watching and it seemed the world was there, too.

Prince was like that... when people gathered in Minneapolis and started singing Purple Rain a cappella...

Kobe was the living personification of that intense spark that we mere mortals only experience for a moment, and yet, he lived it his entire life.

And I think it says something that some of the most tore up are those who he beefed with during his playing days... Matt Barnes...Shaq... the begrudging respect that turned to admiration and more is palpable now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, and all credit for Chick Hearn who painted word pictures that were incredible...
We didn’t always have the Lakers on Tav he back in the day. But the local radio had him on and Chick was the best.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I remember being about 8 years old and I finally got my own TV in my room. It was a 13" black and white TV with rabbit ear antenna.

For some reason it would pick up basketball games and I was enamored. That's when I discovered The Lakers.

I've been a fan ever since and when Kobe came around...he quickly became my favorite. As his career went on, he cemented as my favorite player ever.

Yesterday...wow...I was shook...shit, I still am a bit. I try to make the effort to think of the other 8 people killed. But the tears I shed...were for him. May he Rest is Peace! #MambaForever

Wow...same. I think I was 10 when I got my b&w tv that I mostly used for Laker games...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Going to be tough for a long while. I still can't come to grips with it. All I can really say right now. So down.

I think that is what most of us are feeling. Most of us never knew Kobe personally, but we feel like we lost a family member. My family used to cheer him and Lakers on for 20 years together. So much that we felt like he was a part of our family. Even though we never knew him personally.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think that is what most of us are feeling. Most of us never knew Kobe personally, but we feel like we lost a family member. My family used to cheer him and Lakers on for 20 years together. So much that we felt like he was a part of our family. Even though we never knew him personally.
Yeah... I still remember the Tonight Show interview when the Lakers first traded for him. I've seen him play roughly ten times in person. What a phenom and SO intense.

I in no way mean to undercut the tragic loss of the others on board the chopper as I'm sure we all feel for the loss sustained by their families. The whole thing is a bitter pill to swallow.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Grew up a huge Laker fan. I remember wearing #33 in seventh grade for Kareem, and trying to perfect my sky hook. Watching the Magic/Bird matchups in the playoffs back in the '80s.

When Kobe came along I had been in a down time with the NBA. I had soured on the professional game, but his intensity and love for the game seemed to bring back some of my boyhood innocence again, and I followed my Lakers again a little closer.

Some celebrities die young, and a lot of the time it is due to their own recklessness, or stupidity. They crash and burn, and I am not phased. Kobe was like family to a lot of us.

This one hurt.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John

We do know these people on some level and learn to love parts of them. They don't need to know us for us to feel genuine loss.

There is a term for this called "Parasocial relationships". It is one sided but as real as any relationship.

We live in a world of media that we will feel great loss that we normally wouldn't have. So much exposure to so many personalities that some we sincerely admire or even feel love. So when we lose them it can feel like a loss of a close friend.

I am sad like so many others. Kobe was on a different plane when it comes to his appeal and our admiration.

I will forever miss what more he offered this wonderful world. We were all blessed to have walked with him in the time he was with us.

ALL are in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Was reminded today just how short life is. Remember to hug your kids extra tight today. I know I did.

…..

Legend
I love reading all of your stories, particularly the couple of you that I’ve met in person. It’s cool to know those little details from everyone about thier fandom, it’s beginnings etc.

Ramfan503... the look on your face is one of a kind and it carries a lot of emotion. Thank you for posting that picture and making me feel like I’m normal too. I was like...”man, I feel like you look!”

So today I avoided reading people’s reactions as much and instead tried to focus on the good times of my earlier fan hood. I reminisced about Kobe’s rookie year and the brick he threw up against Utah in the playoffs and remembered no one got mad, they just praised him for having the courage to take the shot. The message was, don’t worry, the Kid is going to be fine. And of course they were right.

Mojo said earlier that he never really liked Kobe much. It reminded me of my feelings for Dale Earnhardt until his passing. I would guess that maybe It’s not that Mojo really disliked Kobe, or I really didn’t like Earnhardt. It’s just that they played for the other team and our intense fandom of our own team prevented us from giving them a second thought outside the fact that they were enemies. Once Dale passed and I saw how much he meant to so many people, I actually started to pay attention to the man not the athlete. Because of that, I spent the whole summer on EBay buying up every damn die cast collectible I could afford. Soon my house was full of those damn things and people who visited my place would say..”wow, big Dale Earnhardt fan huh?” I would reply....”No not really, but did you know ....“ And then off I would go into telling some crazy story about him that I had recently learned.

Anyway...point is that if you weren’t a fan of Kobe, you probably could be if you knew his story. Everyone has a story.

Sorry bout the rambling post....there’s no one close to me to talk to about this stuff so you guys are my therapy.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I took Kobe Bryant for Granted....When Jerry West said, Kobe was the best he ever seen at that age, I knew he was going to be great. When he wasn't afraid to take the big shots, even though he missed them early, I knew he would make more then he missed. When he drove Shaq out, I was upset because I felt they could have dominated more and then when he won without Shaq, my feeling was..."You better have." When the Lakers paid him at the end and others felt they overpaid, I knew Jeanie Buss was right to do so, even though, he was at the end.

Then his retirement, part of me felt, Kobe needed to accomplish everything he could from a business perspective and propelling his legacy, but I thought maybe, eventually, one day, he would be running the Lakers. Kobe Bryant was a credit to his race, the human race and I'm upset at myself, for not cherishing every single moment in time.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I took Kobe Bryant for Granted....When Jerry West said, Kobe was the best he ever seen at that age, I knew he was going to be great. When he wasn't afraid to take the big shots, even though he missed them early, I knew he would make more then he missed. When he drove Shaq out, I was upset because I felt they could have dominated more and then when he won without Shaq, my feeling was..."You better have." When the Lakers paid him at the end and others felt they overpaid, I knew Jeanie Buss was right to do so, even though, he was at the end.

Then his retirement, part of me felt, Kobe needed to accomplish everything he could from a business perspective and propelling his legacy, but I thought maybe, eventually, one day, he would be running the Lakers. Kobe Bryant was a credit to his race, the human race and I'm upset at myself, for not cherishing every single moment in time.

I read that sentence and thought of Aaron Donald. I cherish every moment I am blessed to watch the greatest defensive player to EVER play in the NFL. Even after a disturbing loss, part of my post game ritual is to give thanks for getting another chance to watch Aaron Donald.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Dunno if this has been posted but Kobe Bryant will be posthumously inducted into the 2020 NBA Hall of Fame. They are waiving the remaining waiting period. I suspect his approval will be done unanimous.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
This memorial on TNT is tearing me up...