Kevin O’Connell (free pass?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I believe Waldron and Coen both interviewed for the Kentucky OC gig and Coen despite being lower on the totem pole, got the gig.

might be a take on Waldron’s future.To many cooks in the kitchen.Then again who knows? Will see a little bit more about what Mcvay is really all about.He is running his own show right now.He seems to always have a good young coaching staff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well I let this post get away for awhile.Since the last post both those 2 guys are gone above.

This Kevin O’Connell CAT is Kool. Drinking the Kiol-aide here. Wow- throughly impressed.

F”- Staley & The Chargers ,so glad The Rams blocked him from leaving.This is such a HUGE PIECE of The Rams Puzzle.

He imo is The best OC I have ever seen as a Rams Fan this early in his career.Sean Mcvay totally Trust him with The Offense & only The first OC that Mcvay has had comeback for 2nd as OC.

In The Playoffs he Opened up the Offense.When he first signed as The Rams OC Mcvay sent him to start immediately inputting the Offensive Play Book.

Jared Goff credited him with his footwork last season in the pocket. Just watching the Development of The Rams QB’s speaks volumes,add Mcvay just leaving him & working with Raheem Morris only makes both better coaches.

** side Note Zac Robinson is a Heck of a QB’s coach in his own right.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kevin O’Connell does bring something to the table, but McVay runs the offense, however, McVay trusts O'Connell enough so because he denied the Chargers permission to interview O’Connell for their OC opening. Staley wanted to take O’Connell with him, but the Chargers had to hire Joe Lombardi instead because the Rams denied permission.

With the Chargers O’Connell would have been calling the plays and McVay allowed Matt LaFleur to leave for Tennessee, which paved the way for LaFleur to land the Packer gig, so does McVay like O'Connell better or did he learn from his mistakes?

Truth be told, last season the Rams lost many assistants, so I just think they wanted to keep one, whereas, if O’Connell was the only one leaving, he might had been allowed. Overall, again, McVay trusts him and that is good enough for me, plus I think he's done a good job with Bryce Perkins.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The way he helped Wolford as well & The Rams had 7 wildcat calls.I do know he is more involved in the the game plan & plays than Mcvay.The structure is another thing.
The fact Mcvay is giving him more control of his role says a lot.Raheem pushes Mcvay to be better as well.Just the respect this staff has for one another is very special.
Sean Mcvay said he says it every year,but this is the most excited he has ever been going into a season than he ever has. I honestly believe this to be true. I’ve watched a lot of Rams games.Seen & been to training camps. You look around & the energy is that much more intense. He trust his players as well.
Just the other day he pushed the button & ask for more from both The coaches & players.He knows more now what he has under the hood with this 2021 team going into the season.
Les Snead is a long time mechanic that helps fine tune Mcvay’s request.
We all know who is driving this thing. He has it in High Performance.This is a SuperBowl Team. Anything LES is a shame.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that Mike Martz guy was a little bit better.....
Will see ? This CAT is just starting his career.The numbers won’t lie.Last year was just a sample size of what is to come. You want to take a WHOLE preseason away from him? That’s okay.
Personally I’m not a Mike Martz Fan. I actually think he RUINED THE RAMS we all have our Personal Feelings & Opinions. Even before he hit his he Head & was Lead out of The Rams organization.
You can put DV’s numbers up against Mad Mike’s from KC across the board ? I don’t know if he had 4 HOF players there either.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Maybe as a supposed QB whisper he's fine, but as an OC he sucks. I have continually said he should have been fired.

We bring Staley in and look what happens to our D. We bring in OConner and our Offense gets worse considerably worse. I know you all will say McVay calls the plays but OConner is in charge of the offense. The TEs, OL and backs haven't really improved marketably sorry this guy should definitely not be calling the plays. As well as he should be replaced in the off-season or demoted to QBs coach.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe as a supposed QB whisper he's fine, but as an OC he sucks. I have continually said he should have been fired.

We bring Staley in and look what happens to our D. We bring in OConner and our Offense gets worse considerably worse. I know you all will say McVay calls the plays but OConner is in charge of the offense. The TEs, OL and backs haven't really improved marketably sorry this guy should definitely not be calling the plays. As well as he should be replaced in the off-season or demoted to QBs coach.

LMAO - yeah alright!! I get & won’t dig deeper. We’ll just wait & see how bad (good) this guy is.I’ll agree I was not impressed with him early on in the season. That evaluation for myself has changed.
As far as a QB Coach your devaluation of Zac Robinson is a whole different body. This guy has a excellent future as well in the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will see ? This CAT is just starting his career
This is his 3rd season as an OC, 7th NFL season as a coach, after 5 years as a player
1st season (Redskins) saw his offense go from 29th place to #31 in PPG
2nd season (Rams) saw his offense go from 11th place to #22 in PPG
Martz had his 1st season as OC in his 8th NFL season
1st season (Rams) saw his offense go from 24th place to #1 in PPG, had #1 offense in PPG for 3 straight seasons.
There's literally no comparison favorable to O'Connell here.....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is his 3rd season as an OC, 7th NFL season as a coach, after 5 years as a player
1st season (Redskins) saw his offense go from 29th place to #31 in PPG
2nd season (Rams) saw his offense go from 11th place to #22 in PPG
Martz had his 1st season as OC in his 8th NFL season
1st season (Rams) saw his offense go from 24th place to #1 in PPG, had #1 offense in PPG for 3 straight seasons.
There's literally no comparison favorable to O'Connell here.....
Solid rebuttal- time will tell how his NFL career plays out.I’m expecting a lot from this Rams offense for years to come.
The greatest show on Turf maybe one of the best of All-Time. Yes- your right about that & what Great play calling he did for The Rams both as a OC & HC. That is where it Stops though.
We could go back to The Rams SuperBowl run in 1999.

Once he is the HC it sort of Stops imo.
Even then you can compare him to Mcvay or DV? They all have had parts into it all.

You want to look at careers ? Go back & look at all The 1 & dones. Yeah - great guy - great coach. He is really giving back to coaching & the NFL.

Like I said right now is where I see Kevin O’Connell starting to come into his own. How much of the Play calling has been Mcvay’s. You can go look at Cinncy or GBay as well.

I’ll stick with how much Knowledge he has into player Pro & calling.

Look forward to Denver -

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This CAT is just starting his career.
Did you read my post? It's his 7th year, 3rd as an OC. That's not starting. How will he do better than a SB in 1st year and 3 straight #1 PPG??

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Did you read my post? It's his 7th year, 3rd as an OC. That's not starting. How will he do better than a SB in 1st year and 3 straight #1 PPG??
The way he helped Wolford as well & The Rams had 7 wildcat calls.I do know he is more involved in the the game plan & plays than Mcvay.The structure is another thing.
The fact Mcvay is giving him more control of his role says a lot.Raheem pushes Mcvay to be better as well.Just the respect this staff has for one another is very special.
Sean Mcvay said he says it every year,but this is the most excited he has ever been going into a season than he ever has. I honestly believe this to be true. I’ve watched a lot of Rams games.Seen & been to training camps. You look around & the energy is that much more intense. He trust his players as well.
Just the other day he pushed the button & ask for more from both The coaches & players.He knows more now what he has under the hood with this 2021 team going into the season.
Les Snead is a long time mechanic that helps fine tune Mcvay’s request.
We all know who is driving this thing. He has it in High Performance.This is a SuperBowl Team. Anything LES is a shame.
You know o’Connel is more involved that the offensive game plan than McVay????

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well imo he will have a better career.
I think Warner would tell you he would have rather not had Mad Mike as his HC.
Go look at Martz first years of coaching. Pacific Coast league ?
Just look at the talent.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think that Mike Martz guy was a little bit better.....

I mean... yeah, but...

It's easy to make more light if you burn the candle at both ends... not very sustainable, tho... especially since finding candles (QBs) that are bright enough to light a stadium are few and far between...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Might it be just this simple .....this is McVay's desire & he fits in with him at this time as a HC.

Things do change but for me who spent many years in a career that mandated I have an assistant ranking just slightly below me ....I would always try to have an individual that had different views & positions from me where he or she was able to voice them to me to assist me to keep me balanced. I am a strong alpha male with very strong positions on most things....not always a good way to go..... This served me well throughout my 30 something yrs.

Bottom line my assistant was most of the time, not a mini-me.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I hate how we get increasingly poached every year. (But I get that comes with success.) Pretty soon the NFL's going to be all McVay proteges.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well imo he will have a better career.
I think Warner would tell you he would have rather not had Mad Mike as his HC.
Go look at Martz first years of coaching. Pacific Coast league ?
Just look at the talent.
I've heard Warner speak very highly of Martz and how grateful he was that Martz believed in him.
Remember, the topic was best "starting out" Offensive coordinator for the Rams
There's literally nobody who can do better "starting out" than Martz
Period, end, stop...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I've heard Warner speak very highly of Martz and how grateful he was that Martz believed in him.
Remember, the topic was best "starting out" Offensive coordinator for the Rams
There's literally nobody who can do better "starting out" than Martz
Period, end, stop...

I can't argue with your premise... I'm just not willing to give Martz an inch, even if he earned it. That's on me, but yeah...

Tano

Legend
I can't argue with your premise... I'm just not willing to give Martz an inch, even if he earned it. That's on me, but yeah...
Mike Martz was a great OC and offensive head coach but couldn't pick players in the draft or UDFA.

That talent went way down once he became Head Coach.

And then he got stubborn and his offensive game plan was his way or no way.