Kevin O’Connell (free pass?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
The frustrating thing is why aren't the Rams throwing deep. I don't buy that none of these WRs are speed guys and no one views them as threats. No one does because the Rams don't throw deep. Is it the OL that can't pass block over 2.5 seconds? If Goff waits for a WR to get open deep is it "whamsville"? McVay can't figure this out? Losing a concussion-susceptible deep threat WR screwed that all up?

Another annoying thing was watching Goff vs Seahawks on rollouts not finding anyone open. Either that or he misses his window by hesitating, and then decides to run, but is really unsure and it costs extra yardage. Seems like he did that 10 times last game. Thinking too much, this is not what a 5th year QB should be doing. Needs to have quicker decisions, see the field and find the guy as soon as he gets open. He's been with these WRs & TEs for years now, it's not like there are new guys running routes out there.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Without a high-functioning offense i.e. 2018 rams--Goff is a mediocre QB

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to call out O'Connell when we truly have no idea what role he actually plays. I've only seen McVay blame himself, and Goff. I've never seen anything to indicate that anyone else has any impact in decisions

What I believe is Waldron & Kromer still have a lot of input.What exactly does Waldron do as a Rams coach?

Whatever it is we will eventually find out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I personally believe OC has very little to do with Goff success or failure.

Oline is the biggest factor next is WR’s.

people think Rodgers rise back to MVP level is the new scheme, it’s Oline and healthy WR talent around him. Same with Josh Allen, all day to throw and WR’s playing lights out.

OC can maybe effect the outcome of a few games with a bad call or two.

yeah - agree with Diggs. Little Beasley Wes Welker type.

So let’s see how GBay does without there starting LT. The Rams get Whitworth back,have The Rams missed him that much.

I think Mcvay said he was giving the OC the Reins & more responsibility in years past. Just trying to get any insite because The Rams offense to me has not looked like years past from Mcvay to Goff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wait wait wait....

Goff has improved?

From what? His rookie year?

That is what was being said.I finally had to start this post after it was being said Goff was doing so well.

Started this thread before The Jets game & Goff got hurt against SeaHags.

Looking back at the Zona game last week there was a lot of nice plays drawn up.My BIGGEST COMPLAINT is
The Rams play calling in certain situations, the delay of games,& false starts.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think you actually bring up a point worth considering Mr. So Ram. There were some questionable calls in the game and it's hard to tell if Mcvay or OC called them. We simply don't know. I for one think the deep pass to Everett on 4th down was idiotic. To much margin for error especially since Goff hasn't been hitting the deeper vertical passes this year. Plus he wasn't totally wide open. That might be on Goff or maybe he didn't think the underneath pass had as much of a chance from his vantage point.

As far as the Goff interception, it was just a great one handed catch by the defender. Goff in the postgame said he thought he could fit it in there. I don't see a play call problem there. That pick is on Goff for not reading the defense right.

All in all our Oline was getting destroyed in the first half and then getting dealt holding calls that would have been plays that made us win, so not sure how I could blame the OC.

The one question mark I have is why we are so slow to identify where the rush mismatches are and do something about it. Miami and this game were examples of not coming up with quick answers when there is an identified weakness that require extra blocking. Even our punt blocked was along the same lines. The Jets stacked the left side and we had a man unblocked. What the hell. It's like they are not paying attention to this. Or if they do it takes way too long to adjust. Mcvay usually gets it figured out by halftime but that is often too late.
Most mismatches seem to be up the middle. Not hard to figure out. Hard to overcome.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Without a high-functioning offense i.e. 2018 rams--Goff is a mediocre QB

This SeaHags game will be interesting.

When Sean Mcvay was relaying Plays into Goff from the Headset & SeaHags Fan of me has ALWAYS said Jared Goff Sucks as a QB.It is The HC who makes Jared Goff the QB he is because he is in away Cheating.
I’m not sure after The Rams went to the SuperBowl that The NFL changed or did something different with the Head Sets?
This season seems to be Jared Goff’s worst season Since his Rookie Year imo as well.Just observing this season & wonder the Rams Future.

-I like Jared Goff & wonder the connection with the OC?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Chicken or the egg?

I say The Sea Chickens this Saturday will go Down & how they lay an EGG
Jared Goff I hope has his head on straight & makes the plays helping The Rams to victory.
-Go Rams

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
What were you doing at 4:20 in the am, other than seperating sentences with posts instead of periods? ;)

That's the funniest thing I've seen or heard all week! All the more because I have a similar writing style.

Like this.

Here.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
This SeaHags game will be interesting.

When Sean Mcvay was relaying Plays into Goff from the Headset & SeaHags Fan of me has ALWAYS said Jared Goff Sucks as a QB.It is The HC who makes Jared Goff the QB he is because he is in away Cheating.
I’m not sure after The Rams went to the SuperBowl that The NFL changed or did something different with the Head Sets?
This season seems to be Jared Goff’s worst season Since his Rookie Year imo as well.Just observing this season & wonder the Rams Future.

-I like Jared Goff & wonder the connection with the OC?
Have to disagree with the cheating comment, if every other head coach could do the same thing, which they could, what they choose do with it is their choice. So it was their option not to do the same thing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Have to disagree with the cheating comment, if every other head coach could do the same thing, which they could, what they choose do with it is their choice. So it was their option not to do the same thing.

True - but the rule I believe got changed to some degree? If so how much of an effect has that had with The Rams offense.

Still wondering how this all plays out with The Rams first year OC.Waldron is the passing game coordinator.

I’m sort of all over the map,but there imo is a lot that goes into play calling now than ever before from an offensive point.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's the funniest thing I've seen or heard all week! All the more because I have a similar writing style.

Like this.

Here.

Exactly.
To each there own.Maybe my point of view doesn’t come across right to most.We will find out more about the OC after the season.Maybe with another year under his belt he can help improve the offense in future seasons?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Goff accuracy improved because he dinked and dunked all season. If he tried to replicate 17 & 18 throws his accuracy would definitely not have improved. Look up Brett Hundley UCLA stats based on them he should have been a top pick, but when you dive deeper you see all his passes were dink and dunks.

O'Connell needs to be fired. He has brought nothing to the team. The TEs have not matured and the OL sucks. McVay/Snead did not address this issue so they thought we were fine obviously they were wrong and O'Connell has not made them better. Limited run lanes and no time to throw that to me says he needs to go. Get rid of this failed experiment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Goff accuracy improved because he dinked and dunked all season. If he tried to replicate 17 & 18 throws his accuracy would definitely not have improved. Look up Brett Hundley UCLA stats based on them he should have been a top pick, but when you dive deeper you see all his passes were dink and dunks.

O'Connell needs to be fired. He has brought nothing to the team. The TEs have not matured and the OL sucks. McVay/Snead did not address this issue so they thought we were fine obviously they were wrong and O'Connell has not made them better. Limited run lanes and no time to throw that to me says he needs to go. Get rid of this failed experiment.

I like the passion,but my point is just holding him accountable.

The Rams play the SeaHags today!!!

It’s a New Season

Rams43

Hall of Fame
No question that the O has disappointed this year.

But how much of that is on O’Connell? McVay? Kromer? Wes Phillips?

Hmmmmm...

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I always wanted us to have a more veteran offensive coach as an OC. Just think it would provide the necessary balance to our young head coach. McVay needs that. I look at it in a way like the GSOT era where our offense was more potent...and balanced, when it was Vermeil and Martz, rather than just Martz.

the adjustments..... the necessity to establish a run game (particularly when you have running backS (PLURAL), who are running the ball effectively. Utilizing multiple offensive packages in game......A more veteran offensive mind would help in those areas.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No question that the O has disappointed this year.

But how much of that is on O’Connell? McVay? Kromer? Wes Phillips?

Hmmmmm...

Waldron the passing coordinator.

The guy who to me has been the best with Jared Goff & Waldron has been Zac Robinson

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I believe Waldron and Coen both interviewed for the Kentucky OC gig and Coen despite being lower on the totem pole, got the gig.