Kareem Hunt Speculation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't like Hunt or what he's about, for the record. But he paid the price society and the league set for his decisions. And we need a backfield threat in the worst way.

He's not a guy I would pay because I find his core ethics to be questionable. But I'm more than comfortable using him for a run this year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Can I ask a question that maybe we should all think about.

If the Rams were healthy maybe with a couple minor injuries or something along those lines. Do you think our team would be performing better than it is now? Here's why I bring that up.

As of right now our defense ranks #3 in the NFL. That's p damn good. Our offense is in the middle bottom of the league. So let's say everyone was healthy, maybe we beat Dallas. So let's say we have one more win.

Point is...are we still having this conversation? I know this belongs in the world of hypothetic conversations. But say we are 4-2 instead of 3-3 and looking down the barrel of a gun, we would be exactly where I thought the Rams would be at this point in the season.

So when I hear things like mcVay mortgaged our future with picking up one year rentals, or giving up too much for this "one" guy I think to myself. We are Superbowl champs...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

If the Rams were healthy maybe with a couple minor injuries or something along those lines. Do you think our team would be performing better than it is now? Here's why I bring that up.

As of right now our defense ranks #3 in the NFL. That's p damn good. Our offense is in the middle bottom of the league. So let's say everyone was healthy, maybe we beat Dallas. So let's say we have one more win.

Point is...are we still having this conversation? I know this belongs in the world of hypothetic conversations. But say we are 4-2 instead of 3-3 and looking down the barrel of a gun, we would be exactly where I thought the Rams would be at this point in the season.

So when I hear things like mcVay mortgaged our future with picking up one year rentals, or giving up too much for this "one" guy I think to myself. We are Superbowl champs...
It wouldn’t have made a difference in my desire for another edge.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Even if he did mortgage our future (debatable), we DID get a Super Bowl championship out of it. Isn't that the whole point of all these big moves they've made.

If we pay a price for it, I can live with it. We got the ring, and did so in spectacular way. That's priceless.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It wouldn’t have made a difference in my desire for another edge.
Even with the #3 D in the NFL?
Just a question. Have you seen the analytics on how fast the opposing team is getting the ball out of their hands vs the Rams vs other teams?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We are nowhere close to the 3rd ranked defense Jacob. Not sure what stat source you are using but a defense is judged first on points allowed and from that metric we are 16th. We are 15th in third down conversion against. There are some good areas like for example redzone TD rate against, where we are 2nd, but this defense needs to do a lot better if we are going to defend this title.

So even if we were healthy Dallas was a loss. Reason being our starters don't do preseason and our OL even if they had everyone would have been overrun by that Dallas front given how they are playing. Our OL simply isn't that good even without the injuries. Bruss down the road should end up helping us a ton but he did not look comfortable at all so he was at best going to be a midseason boost type, and at worst a redshirt.

In fact I feel like our OL might end up better than it was due to the injuries, because they gave Jackson a real shot at LT and he looks more secure on that edge than Boom did. Which can really affect the QB mentally.

Anyway. We were always going to feel the loss of Von. And we were always going to start the season slow on the OL due to our budget approach plus skipping preseason. Also and btw not saying all your points are wrong or anything. I fully agree that we need to keep that championship in mind here. I just don't think these injuries caused our current spot in the standings. I think we would be right about where we are now regardless. This is one tough schedule.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We are nowhere close to the 3rd ranked defense Jacob. Not sure what stat source you are using but a defense is judged first on points allowed and from that metric we are 16th. We are 15th in third down conversion against. There are some good areas like for example redzone TD rate against, where we are 2nd, but this defense needs to do a lot better if we are going to defend this title.

So even if we were healthy Dallas was a loss. Reason being our starters don't do preseason and our OL even if they had everyone would have been overrun by that Dallas front given how they are playing. Our OL simply isn't that good even without the injuries. Bruss down the road should end up helping us a ton but he did not look comfortable at all so he was at best going to be a midseason boost type, and at worst a redshirt.

In fact I feel like our OL might end up better than it was due to the injuries, because they gave Jackson a real shot at LT and he looks more secure on that edge than Boom did. Which can really affect the QB mentally.

Anyway. We were always going to feel the loss of Von. And we were always going to start the season slow on the OL due to our budget approach plus skipping preseason. Also and btw not saying all your points are wrong or anything. I fully agree that we need to keep that championship in mind here. I just don't think these injuries caused our current spot in the standings. I think we would be right about where we are now regardless. This is one tough schedule.

Whoops It must have transcribed in my dyslexic brain lol!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PFF are idiots. Good reference but that's about it.

Tano

Legend

We still lost to SF in this scenario
disgusted new girl GIF

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what stat source you are using but a defense is judged first on points allowed and from that metric we are 16th.
Which is why defensive points allowed is a more accurate depiction.
Rams D is only giving up 16 ppg which I imagine is no worse than top 10, likely top 5

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
After watching Hunts 2021 highlights, I came to some conclusions on Hunt.

He doesn’t have great speed like he once did. He isnt running away from anyone on a break away. He has very good vision and doesn’t waste opportunities. He has some cutting ability but nothing overly impressive. He doesn’t look as explosive as Henderson but he runs smarter. This is behind a good run blocking Oline.

I would take Akers from the end of his rookie season over Hunt. If Hunt came to the Rams I’d expect Sony Michel type of impact. So the trade should be similar value. Maybe a fourth in 2024.

MachS

Hall of Fame
The funny thing about "hurt us so bad" is we've done it, over and over. We traded for Dante Fowler. Helped get us to the Superbowl. Hell, made the play that got us to the SB. Played for us the following year and we didn't get to a SB. Signed Leonard Floyd and didn't get to the SB. Signed him to a 3 year deal and helped get us to the SB. Traded for Von Miller and he helped get us to a SB. It's what we do.

Drafted Rapp in the 2nd, Evans, Long and Henderson in the 3rd.
Drafted Akers and Jefferson in the 2nd, Burgess and Lewis in the 3rd
Drafted Atwell in the 2nd, Jones in the 3rd
Drafted Bruss in the 3rd

11 picks, 3 or 4 decent players (so far). How much are we losing, exactly, by trading them for an established player?
I said the Von situation hurt us pretty bad and if you dont think so just simply look at our pass rush. It's bottom of the league horrendous and why were still in the market for an edge. Currently we are not good enough to give picks up for a 1 year rental, just to have them leave. In a year where we are competing for a super bowl, a move like that makes sense. But we will not be competing for a super bowl this year. Too many injuries, too many holes. Why risk a one year rental this year? If we have a long term deal pre-negotiated then I have no problem trading away picks and lets do it. But trading for someone with hope they resign this off-season isn't smart this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Even with the #3 D in the NFL?
Just a question. Have you seen the analytics on how fast the opposing team is getting the ball out of their hands vs the Rams vs other teams?
Yes, I have seen that info and, yes I'd still do it.
Rams were leading the NFL in sacks last year when they got Von.

I'm a big believer in a pass rush.

Tano

Legend
Yes, I have seen that info and, yes I'd still do it.
Rams were leading the NFL in sacks last year when they got Von.

I'm a big believer in a pass rush.
I'm a big believer in a .... oh screw it - movin on

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I said the Von situation hurt us pretty bad and if you dont think so just simply look at our pass rush. It's bottom of the league horrendous and why were still in the market for an edge. Currently we are not good enough to give picks up for a 1 year rental, just to have them leave. In a year where we are competing for a super bowl, a move like that makes sense. But we will not be competing for a super bowl this year. Too many injuries, too many holes. Why risk a one year rental this year? If we have a long term deal pre-negotiated then I have no problem trading away picks and lets do it. But trading for someone with hope they resign this off-season isn't smart this year.
Von wasn't thought of as a rental and the problem with keeping him wasn't the yearly price, it was paying that price for a third year at his age.

Chubb is in his prime and the kind of guy you'd give a big contract to, for example.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Von wasn't thought of as a rental and the problem with keeping him wasn't the yearly price, it was paying that price for a third year at his age.

Chubb is in his prime and the kind of guy you'd give a big contract to, for example.
Some of you are obviously missing my point. If we trade for someone, make sure we have a contract in place that's all. Then it's totally worth it, I really dont care who its for. A lot of the names floating around seem fine. But if we can't pre-negotiate a contract, trading a 2nd and 3rd+ for a POTENTIAL one year rental isn't smart. We cannot afford to risk them leaving at this point in our window, AND lose the picks. This year we aren't going to a super bowl so the risk doesn't make sense. Negotiate the contract, trade for the player, then we're all good.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
After watching Hunts 2021 highlights, I came to some conclusions on Hunt.

He doesn’t have great speed like he once did. He isnt running away from anyone on a break away. He has very good vision and doesn’t waste opportunities. He has some cutting ability but nothing overly impressive. He doesn’t look as explosive as Henderson but he runs smarter. This is behind a good run blocking Oline.

I would take Akers from the end of his rookie season over Hunt. If Hunt came to the Rams I’d expect Sony Michel type of impact. So the trade should be similar value. Maybe a fourth in 2024.
He'll be much better than Michel. He's a better runner and adds better value in the passing game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is why defensive points allowed is a more accurate depiction.
Rams D is only giving up 16 ppg which I imagine is no worse than top 10, likely top 5
Fair enough. I think this defense is on the upswing either way, that their best ball is ahead. But both sides of the ball have some major areas they need to improve.