Kaepernick agrees on extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7489/colin-kaepernick-worth-every-penny

So the early consensus is that the San Francisco 49ers have committed way too much to quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Really?

Should they have stuck to the $1.073 million they owed him on the final year of his rookie deal?

Instead, the 49ers and Kaepernick’s agents finalized a six-year extension worth more than $110 million with a record $61 million in guaranteed money, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Kaepernick is now under contract through the 2020 season.

He will turn 27 in November. He has just 29 career starts. He is still learning the game. He is not in his prime yet.

And he is not overpaid. The average money is in line with what the better quarterbacks in the NFL make. Don't get tripped up by the guaranteed money. OK, it’s a record. And it will likely be surpassed by the next quarterback who signs a long-term extension.

The reality is quarterbacks get paid in the NFL. Believe me, every NFL team wants to have to pay their quarterback big. If not, it means the team doesn't have their answer at the position. If a quarterback is good, he is going to get paid. Kaepernick has reached that point.

If you don’t think Kaepernick has arrived, please think again. He is 21-8 in his NFL starts and has already won three road playoff games. He has been to the NFC Championship Game three times -- starting two -- and to the Super Bowl.

He is entering just his second full season as a starter, and he’s that accomplished. For those who might argue that he hasn't reached his potential, I offer this: How is that a bad thing?

He is only going to improve. Yes, Kaepernick does need to work on his pocket presence and yes, he's not as far along with his read progressions as the team would like.

But he will master those areas.

What quarterback was fully polished after 29 starts? He’s going to get better like all good quarterbacks do. In two years, I expect this deal to look like a bargain for the 49ers.

San Francisco will be rewarded for this investment. For those of you who don’t think he is worth this contract, answer me this: What is the alternative?

Let him walk in free agency and try to develop another cheaper quarterback? Good luck with that. You think Cleveland, Oakland or Jacksonville wouldn't love to be in the position to commit long-term to a 26-year-old with Kaepernick’s resume?

The 49ers are built to win now, and they are built to win in the future. The fact that Kaepernick has been secured for the prime of his career at the going quarterback rate only improves San Francisco’s chances.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But he will master those areas.

Oh really, Bill? Says... You? (Author of the ESPN blog)

The ability to read progressions is always what separates those that succeed and those that don't at this position. He's 27 and still working at it. Good luck with that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have to think that the Rams have a really good shot at ruining the Niners this season.

With Donald and Williams adding to the pot of what was already devastating and relief / improvement in the secondary...

...smells good.

With exotic blitzes and all that speed and talent, If the Rams can't contain him, no one can.

lockdnram21

Legend
He took over a team that barely lost in a conference championship game. So he inherited a great team. Probably the best offensive line in the game. A RB like Gore, receivers like Davis and Crabtree. Then they got him Bolden. Guy is surrounded by talent. Also he is older than Bradford.

hes only 3 days older than Bradford

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's great that the whiners, and seaderrall in a years time, won't have the advantage of a cheap qb so they can horde better players at other positions. now they have to compete on a level playing field like most other teams.

th1H6eH.gif

LOL yes yes the off season just keeps getting better :)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's a decent QB for what they're doing on offense, but that crap doesn't last long. Once defenses take away the option, he'll have to sit there and rely on his ability to read coverages and make accurate throws. That won't be a given, and I'm kinda surprised they committed to that kind of money without first finding out if he's capable of doing it with any level of efficiency. Especially after Steve Young said when Kaepernick’s first option isn’t open, he takes off running. And while Kaepernick often makes great plays with his legs, Young doesn’t believe Kaepernick can be a great player if he’s always quick to rely on his running ability.
I would imagine that the Niners were under quite a lot of pressure to get this deal done in light of all the negative press and crap surrounding the offseason.
I'm honestly a little surprised that Harbaugh didn't get his extension first. IIRC he has one year left on his 5 year deal.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Starting QBs get PAID ,,, I'm just happy to see the whiners finally having to ante up. They were getting off cheap.

FUCK kaperdick and the whiners.

RamsFan14

Starter
Better talent? The team's been loaded since he got there.

It's the only reason why you have the outlook you do in the first part of your post.

I think they've lacked at the playmaking position the beginning part of last year, but once Crabtree came back things started to click for them. Don't get me wrong, they are a very talented team! It's just... If the Rams had done something like the 49ers have done the last two years (wins wise), I would probably be just fine with the contract Kaep got. Yes QB's get paid and they get paid too much! He's probably overpaid but that's what you have to do these days to have a good QB. While he barely had 3,200 yards passing, he does have 500 yards rushing, so his yardage isn't bad. He helps the team win with his arm and legs... We'll see what happens now that the 49ers are handcuffed paying the QB big bucks and not other positions. But the 49ers are loaded, and considering how old Kaep is... I can't imagine how he couldn't get better. He's a unique talent when it comes to his arm and legs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I could post Alex Smith's numbers under Harbaugh again. hint: they were pretty good and the team as a whole looked pretty good too. Not sure what Alex was making at the time.
But i digress. Krap MIGHT progress into an elite QB but then again he might not. I wouldn't have paid him $61mill guaranteed...at this point.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
IDK... when your team goes to a SB and is within a throw of winning it outright and then loses the NFC Championship to the Hawks on the road the next year... its hard for me to say that they overpaid

What it does though is even the playing field in terms of the salary they have to pay out. That's for sure... and that is a good thing

That post comes off like you are making a case that Colin Kaepernick was the reason the 49ers were that successful. I would contend that he was good enough not to prevent them from having the success that they did have, which I credit mostly to their running game and defense. He did prevent them from making the Super Bowl last year due to a terrible decision to throw to Crabtree who was blanketed in coverage. This is the beginning of the end for the 49er gang since they have limited themselves so severely in cap space despite an aging team. I will not deny that Kaepernick is one of the best guys to run the system that the 49ers do but there is no way to convince me he is worth half that contract.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He was good enough that the 49ers HAD to pay him. And they had to pay him that or close to that with the QB market being what it is.

But he'll turn out being not worth the contract.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I threw in Bradford because the Rams have made a similar investment and like the Rams he has a big arm, is tall, can make every throw and is extremely smart... they are banking on the issues they have had at WR and his ability to play from the pocket are connected

I pretty much said that in my original response though
I guess so, but not really. Bradford's salary was slotted under the old CBA. We had no choice and couldn't bargain with it. We chose to draft him and by doing so he got paid "x" amount. Now as far as Sam's next contract, then sure...it will be time for both sides to negotiate etc.

SF didn't have to pay Krap $61 million guaranteed.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He was good enough that the 49ers HAD to pay him. And they had to pay him that or close to that with the QB market being what it is.

But he'll turn out being not worth the contract.
Did they really though? Now? Today? What was Krap gonna do if this got dragged out?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Did they really though? Now? Today? What was Krap gonna do if this got dragged out?
It really isn't the best idea to have your QB play in the last year of his contract with no extension. If Kap plays well this season, he could go on to the highest bidder next year, and the 49ers couldn't do anything about it but franchise tag him (which just extends the issue and creates a massive cap number.)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It really isn't the best idea to have your QB play in the last year of his contract with no extension. If Kap plays well this season, he could go on to the highest bidder next year, and the 49ers couldn't do anything about it but franchise tag him (which just extends the issue and creates a massive cap number.)
True. Do you think(based upon his body of work thus far) that he would've gotten this type of money somewhere else though? Idk. Maybe.

I guess my point is that if one was to step back and look at what SF asks from their QB in that system, that this type of "lock him up big time franchise money deal" wasn't really necessary in the big picture. Long term. IMO Krap as a franchise QB in THAT system on THAT team just doesn't jive. Alex Smith ran that team effectively too towards the end with all that talent around him.

Then again, maybe a few years down the road when that Niner team has aged and fallen back into mediocrity... having Krap as their QB to run up and down the field to generate offense will suit them just fine.

ED_29

I think they've lacked at the playmaking position the beginning part of last year, but once Crabtree came back things started to click for them. Don't get me wrong, they are a very talented team! It's just... If the Rams had done something like the 49ers have done the last two years (wins wise), I would probably be just fine with the contract Kaep got. Yes QB's get paid and they get paid too much! He's probably overpaid but that's what you have to do these days to have a good QB. While he barely had 3,200 yards passing, he does have 500 yards rushing, so his yardage isn't bad. He helps the team win with his arm and legs... We'll see what happens now that the 49ers are handcuffed paying the QB big bucks and not other positions. But the 49ers are loaded, and considering how old Kaep is... I can't imagine how he couldn't get better. He's a unique talent when it comes to his arm and legs.

Totally reasonable post ... It's nice when people give a take and explain their reasoning without attacking or being attacked