Just how many Ram player roster spots are up for grabs, really?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don’t think Brian Allen is a lock, just yet.

IMHO, I don't see them giving up on Brian Allen and again, he's miscast at guard, he's a Center and that is where he needs to play. I like your idea of getting another backup QB RG3 if he became available or do the Rams sign Matt Moore, who is familiar with new QB Coach Zach Taylor?

Always liked Moore as a back up QB, however, I do want to see more of Brandon Allen. He made plays at Arkansas and seems to have the head and ability to be a backup in the NFL. I do believe the Rams could draft a QB next year, like in the 4th round for example, but some coaches really like the backup QB to have some game day experience and as of right now Mannion does, albeit not very good and Allen doesn't.

Ram65

Legend
These are my “almost certain” to make it players:

QB. Goff
RB. Gurley, Brown.
OL. Whit, Saffold, Sully, JB, Hav, Blythe, Noteboom, Demby (maybe) Allen because JB won't count as a roster spot.
WR. Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Thomas, Reynolds,
TE. Higbee, Everett

That’s only 19 O players that are semi-locks, and a couple of them are not 100%, themselves, tbh. Meaning, maybe 6 more O spots up in the air? Hard to think Hemingway won't make the roster. It's been only one preseason game. Like both running backs for the third spot. Don't know how they play on STs. If they can contribute the Rams could keep both.. Kelly and Davis. I give Kelly the edge because he can catch and run.

DL. AD, Suh, Brockers, Westbrooks, Myers, Easley
LB. Barron, Littleton, Ebukam, Longacre (if even sufficiently healthy). Lawler, Wilson, Kiser, Oko (if healthy)
CB. Peters, Talib, NRC, Shields. Hill
S. Joyner, JJ. Christian, Countess

That’s only 15 D players that are certainly safe. Meaning, approx 10 more are up for grabs. The red give them 8 more.

ST. Hekker, GZ, and McQuaide are mortal locks. Duh...

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve got a question for y’all...

Do you think that Brandon Allen can get a fair opportunity to earn the QB backup spot if McVay doesn’t let him play with at least a few starters?

Or Mannion, for that matter?

I have my doubts. An unfortunate byproduct of this “safety first” policy is that it kinda puts the QB’s in a strait jacket. Doesn’t seem fair, you know?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I’ve got a question for y’all...

Do you think that Brandon Allen can get a fair opportunity to earn the QB backup spot if McVay doesn’t let him play with at least a few starters?

Or Mannion, for that matter?

When they are playing with backups against starters you have to factor that in,however, Mannion did not improve when some of the starters of the Raven defense went out. Allen was playing against secondary competition and thus outplayed Mannion.

It's a given that the backup QB should be able to play better when practicing with the first unit, however, you can only evaluate based on how they do with backups in the game and other backup QB's are able to be successful in that environment.

My believe is, if Allen continues to outperform Mannion, Mannion will get released and then we shall see if the Rams keep Allen or decided to bring in someone else with more game day experience to back up Goff.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where they are playing with starters should not matter because Mannion did not improve when some of the starters of the Raven defense went out. Allen was playing against secondary competition and thus outplayed Mannion.

It's a given that the backup QB should be able to play better when practicing with the first unit, however, you can only evaluate based on how they do with backups in the game and other backup QB's are able to be successful in that environment.

My believe is, if Allen continues to outperform Mannion, Mannion will get released and then we shall see if the Rams keep Allen or decided to bring in someone else with more game day experience to back up Goff.

I guess I didn’t make myself clear, den. My bad.

Of course Allen outplayed Mannion vs Ravens. Heck, maybe he does in the practices, as well. Meaning, McVay already has made up his mind about his #2?

But out playing Mannion in that game is a very low bar, indeed. I’m wondering if Allen can pick up for Goff for a brief time and still win some real regular season games, dammit!

It seems to me that that is kinda unknowable if he never gets to play at least a couple of series with the starters. McVay would then just be guessing. There is no substitute for real snaps in real games with real starters to separate contenders from the pretenders. Which one is Allen? And are we prepared to potentially have our season hanging on the accuracy of an educated guess?

I think it’s worth it to be able to determine whether a given #2 can cut the mustard or whether they need to bring in an outsider.

C’mon Coach! Yer killin’ me! Just a couple of series for Allen with our 1’s vs their 1’s. Lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
These are my “almost certain” to make it players:

QB. Goff
RB. Gurley, Brown.
OL. Whit, Saffold, Sully, JB, Hav, Blythe, Noteboom, Demby (maybe) Allen because JB won't count as a roster spot.
WR. Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Thomas, Reynolds,
TE. Higbee, Everett

That’s only 19 O players that are semi-locks, and a couple of them are not 100%, themselves, tbh. Meaning, maybe 6 more O spots up in the air? Hard to think Hemingway won't make the roster. It's been only one preseason game. Like both running backs for the third spot. Don't know how they play on STs. If they can contribute the Rams could keep both.. Kelly and Davis. I give Kelly the edge because he can catch and run.

DL. AD, Suh, Brockers, Westbrooks, Myers, Easley
LB. Barron, Littleton, Ebukam, Longacre (if even sufficiently healthy). Lawler, Wilson, Kiser, Oko (if healthy)
CB. Peters, Talib, NRC, Shields. Hill
S. Joyner, JJ. Christian, Countess

That’s only 15 D players that are certainly safe. Meaning, approx 10 more are up for grabs. The red give them 8 more.

ST. Hekker, GZ, and McQuaide are mortal locks. Duh...
I would include Bryce Hager as almost certain. With Barron & his continuing nagging health issues & being its Cory's first season as a starter plus playing a new position as a mike LB with the added fact CL is now calling the defense..... Hager's value at this time is very high. He was by far the best Lber on the field in the first half.

The 4th yr veteran LB'er Ramik Wilson was a disappointment from my point of view in that first outing. Rookies Kiser & Scales looked active & effective. I just do not recall seeing LB'er Travin Howard#48 much. Rams have Kiser & Scales under contract for 4 seasons, Wilson is a UFA when this season concludes.

I not as positive on our 3rd & 4th safeties as "almost certain s" I expect we may see several surprises in this overall safety unit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don’t think Brian Allen is a lock, just yet.
If we see an increasing use "by Kromer" where he finds himself utilizing both Noteboom & Demby @ the OT positions (as I would strongly project) then OC/OG Allen will have lost some "serious" competition for a MR spot.With the addition that both rookies Noteboom & Demby can play the interior post whereas Lucas & Williams offer no such skills.

Now there's a valid discussion out there about the dangers of going into this season with rookies as your 3rd & 4th strings OT's but the counter to that argument would be the bringing up of Rodger Saffold's near decade of starting experience being named the starter @ both OG post & OT posts in the NFL. So this matter will be very interesting for me as this pre season concludes & how these reserve OT position are named.

If my prediction is close to fulfillment then those two new drafted rookie OT's will affect greatly on Lucas & Williams prospects to continue to hold a roster spot. Thus leaving Brian Allen to fight Jake Eldrenkamp, Jeremiah Kolone & Aaron Neary. I do not see OC/OG Austin Blythe's position in jeopardy. I remind my self that its highly probable that Kromer will need to find two new starting OG's early in 2019. This helps our 4th rd selection Allen in this pre season battle.

I can easily foresee OG Jake Eldrenkamp & OG Jeremiah Kolone both riding the PS this season with the Rams desiring to keep them here as Rams for 2019 season depth. Eldrenkamp has now added some size to his skinny frame & he is now the same size as OT Darrell Williams....I would not be surprised if we see the 6-5 305 Jake playing some OT snaps in pre season either. Jake's skill-set is made for order for what Kromers runs here in LA.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I would include Bryce Hager as almost certain. With Barron & his continuing nagging health issues & being its Cory's first season as a starter plus playing a new position as a mike LB with the added fact CL is now calling the defense..... Hager's value at this time is very high. He was by far the best Lber on the field in the first half.

The 4th yr veteran LB'er Ramik Wilson was a disappointment from my point of view in that first outing. Rookies Kiser & Scales looked active & effective. I just do not recall seeing LB'er Travin Howard#48 much. Rams have Kiser & Scales under contract for 4 seasons, Wilson is a UFA when this season concludes.

I not as positive on our 3rd & 4th safeties as "almost certain s" I expect we may see several surprises in this overall safety unit.

Ryan Davis looked really ineffective out there too, unfortunately.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not enough to go on to make determinations on any of the guys. I gotta see at least a couple more games.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

What do you mean when you say we have Scales under contract for 4 more years? Wasn't he a UDFA that the Rams signed?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The 4th yr veteran LB'er Ramik Wilson was a disappointment from my point of view in that first outing. Rookies Kiser & Scales looked active & effective.
i have read several conflicting stories on how Ramik looked here on ROD, I just don't know what to believe.
Yes very shaky indeed! WE got nothing from this WWC DE tweener last Thursday. Davis is a 29 yr old 7 yr veteran. I thought that Rookies Lawyer, Young & Womac turned in a better performance.
And David is another one I keep finding conflicting stories on. Are you sure you all watched the same game?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah it was kind of a joke.
You can definitely get picked up and signed by another team, that's the risk of the practice squad.
I heard he didn't look too good in the game so he had better pick it up.

Pretty obvious that the Rams are going all-in this year so it is less likely that they are going to keep guys for their potential on the team.

Guys that can actually play will be on the 53 and guys with potential will be on the practice squad.

I wasn't impressed with him in college. I think he is a project. Just figured Kromer saw something that he could work with.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ryan Davis looked really ineffective out there too, unfortunately.
Don't agree. Davis set a really disciplined, hard edge, during his snaps. He flashed for me, in just that. Not easy for a player trying to make an impact. He made an impact, by being a team player, IMO.

I think Trevon Young makes the team but the Rams put him on IR this year. It give him one more year to get healthy. I think this kid has it.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think Trevon Young makes the team but the Rams put him on IR this year. It give him one more year to get healthy. I think this kid has it.
Does Trevon Young have an injury that would require him to be on the IR? Because last time I checked you actually have to be injured to be on the injured reserve.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What do you mean when you say we have Scales under contract for 4 more years? Wasn't he a UDFA that the Rams signed?
Scales has a contract that will go thru 2021 when he will be a RFA. RFA contracts are usually very friendly salary cap contact for an extra yr making it four yrs if he is worthy.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Don't agree. Davis set a really disciplined, hard edge, during his snaps. He flashed for me, in just that. Not easy for a player trying to make an impact. He made an impact, by being a team player, IMO.

He looked slow...like a DL, not a OLB

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD will be back before final cuts? SONOFA! ~Fringe Dline players