Just how many Ram player roster spots are up for grabs, really?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that it’s a rather small number, really. Maybe around 14-16.

These are my “almost certain” to make it players:

QB. Goff

RB. Gurley, Brown.

OL. Whit, Saffold, Sully, JB, Hav, Blythe, Noteboom, Demby (maybe)

WR. Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Thomas, Reynolds.

TE. Higbee, Everett.

That’s only 19 O players that are semi-locks, and a couple of them are not 100%, themselves, tbh. Meaning, maybe 6 more O spots up in the air?

DL. AD, Suh, Brockers, Westbrooks, Myers (probably).

LB. Barron, Littleton, Ebukam, Longacre (if even sufficiently healthy).

CB. Peters, Talib, NRC, Shields.

S. Joyner, JJ.

That’s only 15 D players that are certainly safe. Meaning, approx 10 more are up for grabs.

ST. Hekker, GZ, and McQuaide are mortal locks. Duh...

So, what have we got after some rather tough grading as “for sure” members of the 53? Only 37, really.

Yeah, there are all kinds of “probables” left and most will make it. But the fact remains that there are approx 16 jobs that are up in the air and will be claimed within the next 3 weeks. Lots of job pressure on both players and coaches, huh? Very little margin for error for anyone. That’s why the Ravens game was somewhat wasted by both players and coaches. Sigh.

Anybody else surprised that there are so many spots up for grabs on this supposedl SB roster? I was. Before I started, I thought there were only maybe 6-8 tbd.

I would really appreciate some feedback from y’all. Did I grade too strictly? Or not hard enough? Talk to me.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
First of all @Rams43, going with out the probable players I think you did great. My question is though, if you're going to count Meyers and Demby in, why would you not add people like Wilson, Kelly, and Brandon Allen?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I've seen several people question him and I don't see how Allen doesn't make the team. Another draft pick in Kizer I think is a lock, he'll take over for Barron next year or the year after at the latest.

I'd add Johnson at SS to your list and I get the feeling Wade likes Christian just not sure why.

Hager will make the team if for no other reason then as a special teams leader.

Even though some are freaking out about Thursday night Hill is CB 5.

Honestly I don't see any of the draft picks not making the team.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Players I'd add as safe to that list: Wilson at ILB, Kelly at RB (they're not gonna cut their pick, 1st year unless he implodes from here on out, not likely), Hemmingway (you're not gonna pull in a 3rd TE off the street in a complex offense like this unless he gets hurt), Countess (as long as he's not hurt, he's the 3rd safety and important on ST), I actually think Hill and Peterson may have more roster "safety" than Shields and both are far more likely to be key contributers on ST than him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First of all @Rams43, going with out the probable players I think you did great. My question is though, if you're going to count Meyers and Demby in, why would you not add people like Wilson, Kelly, and Brandon Allen?

Good question, Reek.

Yeah, it’s subjective on my part. Going by glowing camp reports on Myers and I kinda liked what I saw from Demby in the game sorta made me give them the benefit of the doubt. For now. Lol.

Wilson? Didn’t see anything in the game to separate him from the rest, so he’s in limbo.

Kelly? Really liked him, but I really liked Davis, too. So, which one is gonna be our 3rd RB seems still tbd.

Brandon Allen? Played better than Mannion, but that’s not saying much. I have little confidence in Mannion, and for reasons that are probably obvious. I’m not sure Allen’s gonna be our backup by any means, either. He still has to win me over. I actually think (and hope) that Snead is scouring league rosters for an upgrade over Mannion.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've seen several people question him and I don't see how Allen doesn't make the team. Another draft pick in Kizer I think is a lock, he'll take over for Barron next year or the year after at the latest.

I'd add Johnson at SS to your list and I get the feeling Wade likes Christian just not sure why.

Well, I was trying to grade rather strictly, OldSchool. Like only counting the 90% or better likeliest.

For the record, I pretty much agree with your take on the above players. But I still think that any could be potentially unseated on the 53 by stellar play in the next 3 weeks by another at their same positions.

Btw, I assume the Allen you mentioned above was Brian Allen the OL player, not Brandon Allen the QB?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Players I'd add as safe to that list: Wilson at ILB, Kelly at RB (they're not gonna cut their pick, 1st year unless he implodes from here on out, not likely), Hemmingway (you're not gonna pull in a 3rd TE off the street in a complex offense like this unless he gets hurt), Countess (as long as he's not hurt, he's the 3rd safety and important on ST), I actually think Hill and Peterson may have more roster "safety" than Shields and both are far more likely to be key contributers on ST than him.

Well, in the context of whether a player is 90% safe, WestCoast?

Wilson didn’t stand out over the rest in the Raven game.

Loved Kelly, but Davis impressed the hell outta me, so I think it’s still very much a tossup for 3rd string RB.

Hemingway frankly disappointed the hell outta me. Mundt might be our 3rd TE for all I know. Hemingway needs to make plays on the field, dammit! I’m so frustrated because I had had such high hopes for the kid. Too high, possibly.

Countess I also see as likely, but not 90%. Same for Hill and Peterson.

I see Shields as a mortal lock and will play lots of dime, if healthy. And all reports are that he is healthy. I think Wade has big plans for Shields. And I also think Shields will prove to have been a semi-steal for just that $1 million pricetag.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My list I'd add to @Rams43 list
ILB Kiser, ILB Hagar, ILB Wilson, OLB Okoronkwo, OC Brian Allen,
QB Brandon Allen, S Christian, TE Hemingway.
That's eight bringing the total to 45 leaving 8 sports up for grabs. I'm my estimation.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@Rams43 - yeah, I'd say 90% right now for all those guys I mentioned. I think Shields could make it tough to cut him with his play but if they don't play him on ST (when was last time he did that, would they worry about concussions) I think he's definitely less than 90% unless his contract is guaranteed or something.

I feel like I'd have to see Wilson sh*t the bed the rest of the way for him to get cut. Everything I've heard from training camp so far is that he's played quite well.

I agree it's a toss up in some ways for 3rd RB. I think if everything is about even, you have to give the edge to the guy you have on contract for longer, I think that's Kelly. Plus, I think you've got a pretty good chance of stashing Davis on PS again.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

The two draft picks I'm worried about is Travin Howard, and Sebastian Joseph-Day. As I've yet to hear really anything positive about them in camp.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The two draft picks I'm worried about is Travin Howard, and Sebastian Joseph-Day. As I've yet to hear really anything positive about them in camp.

The Rams had 10 picks from late in the third on. Six picks were in the 6th or 7th rounds. If 8 picks make the team, that is a hell of a draft. It's not like the Rams sucked last year, after all - but they still managed to trade down and find players who can contribute. I don't expect that every season, but it's very good for their chances going forward that they did that in the 2018 draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So far he's a lock for the practice squad.

But, then couldn't he be signed to another teams roster? Or are rookies exempt from that? Any team needing a back up center could have interest. If so then he makes the team. I don't think Snead would risk losing him.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't think Brown is a lock to make the team at RB. He has not show much when given his opportunities, Davis and Kelly may provide much more as backups for the man Gurley.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
But, then couldn't he be signed to another teams roster? Or are rookies exempt from that? Any team needing a back up center could have interest. If so then he makes the team. I don't think Snead would risk losing him.
Yes, a draft pick like him in the 4th round won't make it to the practice squad. He's either on the 53 man or IR. Or we've lost him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah it was kind of a joke.
You can definitely get picked up and signed by another team, that's the risk of the practice squad.
I heard he didn't look too good in the game so he had better pick it up.

Pretty obvious that the Rams are going all-in this year so it is less likely that they are going to keep guys for their potential on the team.

Guys that can actually play will be on the 53 and guys with potential will be on the practice squad.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yes, a draft pick like him in the 4th round won't make it to the practice squad. He's either on the 53 man or IR. Or we've lost him.
IR is a possibility for even a minor injury.
Just being a fourth-round draft pick doesn't make you a lock to get picked up off of our PS.
Especially for a Brian Allen.
He was probably one of the best centers in college last year yet fell to the fourth round because of his size.
If teams think that his size is what is getting him pushed around, they might think there's no reason to get him off our practice squad because he's just not going to make it in the NFL.

Yeah, if the Rams aren't sold on him they might risk putting him on the practice squad and risk losing him, in my opinion.