Junior Galette FA and Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It isn't just the injury history that concerns me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Galette

On November 16, 2015, Galette was suspended for two weeks for violating the league's personal conduct policy, coming from the domestic violence incident back in January.

Galette has had multiple run-ins with the law, including a domestic violence charge in early 2015 when he allegedly attacked a woman who demanded cab money from him. However, all criminal and civil charges related to the incident were eventually dropped.

In 2013, he is alleged to have used a belt as a weapon against some people who approached him during a beach brawl on Miami Beach. The incident was caught on video and posted on YouTube but charges were never filed.

On April 8, 2017, Galette was arrested in Biloxi, Mississippi for suspicion of disorderly conduct and failure to comply with police officers. An officer witnessed Galette assaulting a man, and when he tried to take off running, a taser was used to subdue him.

In the 2013 season, Galette signed a 3-year deal worth up to 9 million dollars. Galette became the team's regular starter at outside linebacker under new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and posted a breakout season with a team high 12 sacks.

On September 3, 2014, Galette signed a four-year contract extension worth $41.5 million. He was selected by teammates as one of the defensive team captains for the 2014 season and played all 16 of the Saints' games that season and ended up getting 45 total tackles, 10 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles.On July 24, 2015, Galette was officially released from the team.
Here's a player that had 22 sacks in two seasons, named a defensive team captain, signs a big contract and is released 10 months later. Strange.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It isn't just the injury history that concerns me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Galette

On November 16, 2015, Galette was suspended for two weeks for violating the league's personal conduct policy, coming from the domestic violence incident back in January.

Galette has had multiple run-ins with the law, including a domestic violence charge in early 2015 when he allegedly attacked a woman who demanded cab money from him. However, all criminal and civil charges related to the incident were eventually dropped.

In 2013, he is alleged to have used a belt as a weapon against some people who approached him during a beach brawl on Miami Beach. The incident was caught on video and posted on YouTube but charges were never filed.

On April 8, 2017, Galette was arrested in Biloxi, Mississippi for suspicion of disorderly conduct and failure to comply with police officers. An officer witnessed Galette assaulting a man, and when he tried to take off running, a taser was used to subdue him.

In the 2013 season, Galette signed a 3-year deal worth up to 9 million dollars. Galette became the team's regular starter at outside linebacker under new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and posted a breakout season with a team high 12 sacks.

On September 3, 2014, Galette signed a four-year contract extension worth $41.5 million. He was selected by teammates as one of the defensive team captains for the 2014 season and played all 16 of the Saints' games that season and ended up getting 45 total tackles, 10 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles.On July 24, 2015, Galette was officially released from the team.
Here's a player that had 22 sacks in two seasons, named a defensive team captain, signs a big contract and is released 10 months later. Strange.
The good thing is Prime, the Rams have the ability to take this risk. It’s not like we’re counting on him to create pressure. It would just be the cherry on top of an already iced cake.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Just watch, some in the media will probably say that the signing of Junior Galette shows that the Rams aren't expecting to be able to work things out with Donald, or at least any time soon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Galette would be a big signing. Would probably have to use him as a rotational piece to try and keep him healthy, but he can really get after the QB.

dang

Legend
We just need Galette to hold the edge for the first 4-5 games. I believe the younger OLBs will be ready to contibute by then. If Galette contributes deeper into the season - then bonus for him and the Rams. This would be the vet OLB signing that I felt was needed to seal the deal on the Rams D being epic. That is assuming Donald also gets signed!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I wanted him way earlier in the offseason, but better late than never. He had his best years where he really balled out playing under our current DL coach Bill Johnson when they both were in New Orleans. He was really good as a situational rusher last year even coming off 2 Achilles injuries. Would be a really good get for the Rams who seem to be figuring out their edge rushers outside of Ebukam

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not a fan of the signing (injuries and off-the-field stuff concern me, and I don't want to end up cutting a good young outside linebacker), but I trust in McVay and Snead to do their research.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Has he ever played OLB standing up? That Youtube show him at DE with hand in the dirt

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the plan for Galette is to avoid training camp all together since his injuries occurred in training camp the last 2 years?

Ram65

Legend
Has he ever played OLB standing up? That Youtube show him at DE with hand in the dirt

I thought he could do both lhere it says he is a linebacker and I did see him stand up once in the highlight. In bold later in article he states he rushed from a stand up position. I think Wade is going to be mixing it up with 3 and 4 defensive lineman.

Been wanting this for a long time. It just makes sense for both sides. You can never have enough pass rushers and an inexpensive veteran will be a big asset.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...-hes-still-top-tier-rusher-wants-more-chances
ASHBURN, Virginia -- Washington Redskins linebacker Junior Galette is sure of two things: He likes being here; he wants to play more. And those two thoughts might eventually clash when he hits free agency.

For now, though, all Galette wants are more chances to show what he can do. He’s coming off a season-high 35 snaps in the loss at the Los Angeles Chargers. But, still, Galette is on pace for 350 snaps in his role as a backup linebacker.

Galette missed the past two seasons after hurting both Achilles. The fact that he has recovered from that to help has been impressive. But Galette feels he’s capable of more. On Twitter, he has used the hashtag #Free58 when discussing his chances.

“I feel I haven’t lost a step,” he said. “I’m a top-tier pass-rusher in this league. I have every move you can think of. I have it. I want to play. Give me the amount of time and I’ll get you double-digit sacks and I’ll be the player that I was. I haven’t lost anything.

Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith. They consider both stronger vs. the run -- not that Galette is weak in that area, but he's not as good as the other two. They also want to play rookie second-round pick Ryan Anderson. In addition, Galette missed a lot of time this summer with a hamstring injury that impacted his play.

But there is a desire by the Redskins to get Galette more time. Last week, Redskins coach Jay Gruden acknowledged the backup outside linebackers are probably “frustrated a little bit” with their playing time.

“But those guys have got to be patient and then, when they do get in there, take advantage of the reps, if they can,” Gruden said.

In 2013 and '14, Galette recorded a combined 22 sacks. But the Saints cut him in the summer before the 2015 training camp opened; the Redskins signed him shortly thereafter.

“They believed in me,” Galette said. “Everyone was comfortable with who I am and allowed me to be myself. I’m very thankful.”

But, he wants to play. Galette has applied pressure on the quarterback on 33 percent of the pass plays in which he’s been on the field; that’s the same number as Smith, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Smith has five sacks in 303 rushes; Galette has two in 177.

Galette said one of the few times he’s been able to find any rhythm was in a four-play stretch vs. the New York Giants. He rushed inside on first down from a stand-up position. On second down, from a four-point stance, he tried to go wide but was stopped. Then, he used a spin move to the inside on third down, coming off and applying pressure. On fourth down, he dipped his shoulder inside, got the tackle leaning, and beat him to the outside for a sack/fumble.

“It’s a rhythm. Proof is in the pudding right there,” Galette said.

He’ll take those reps even if they come on run downs. The key to finding that rhythm is just being on the field.

“Just being out there getting a feel for the cadence,” he said. “So much goes into getting to the quarterback. You wouldn’t think a run play can help you. But just getting your head-butt and feeling loose as opposed to you haven’t played in four or five series and then, ‘Go out there!’ OK, I don’t know what the cadence is, I have to look at the ball more. You’re kind of on the fly.”

He’s had games in which he played just 14 snaps. Sometimes he’ll watch practice tapes to look for reasons why he might not be playing more.

“You’re psyched up going into the game and next thing you know it’s halftime and you’re thinking about the four plays that you had,” he said. “That can be so devastating to your confidence and your pride. Doing everything; encouraging other guys but mentally ... you’re not talking about a guy that’s not proven here. I’ve been in the games. I take the game over. That’s the feeling I had before I left.”

But Galette can’t control his playing time. If he’s going to get only a certain number of snaps, then he’ll have to find a way to make it work. That’s the life of a reserve. However, at 29, Galette said he knows he could be doing more to help.

“I’ll just go out and play my tail off and someone will notice,” he said. “I still have three games left. A lot of what I do in the next three games can help me in the offseason. I won't bad-mouth the organization. I want to stay here ... but I also want to play.”

Last edited: