Jrry32's First Mock Offseason of 2024 (02/03/2024)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Offseasons are really droll. But when @jrry32 posts a mock, I can get thru the week.
Great mock, any mock that keeps Dotson & Avila together is solid, buuuuut if we can get that JPJ kid.... lookout. We will have filled a gaping hole that I've been pounding the table about for years now, ever since Sullivan left. With that kid bulldozing LB's on run plays & walling off the center of the pocket, our O will get that much more solid with Staff having more time & Kyren more holes to burst thru.
An A+ CB would be another coup for McSnead & co. Rattler looks good too, here's hoping he'll take to McVay. If so, we could have a great QB pairing with Rattler & Wentz should Stafford go down for a while, both very mobile & can throw on the run -- Rattler even looks more accurate than Wentz, but I guess we'll see in his pro day. Hoping we keep Wentz around for a number of reasons, but he can't throw well on the run. Watching Goff & Wentz in QB drills a few (?) years ago in Indy was night & day in terms of accuracy.
I love me some Higbeast, been with us since the Goff draft, but this SB & playoff race has shown what a top notch TE can do for a team, so I like this KS kid. Not that Higbee is chopped liver, but a better receiving threat to stretch out secondaries would sure go a long way.
And ya looking like we gotta draft a K. No doubt about that.
Great mock @jrry32 , looking forward to more as we get closer to April!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great draft @jrry32

My only question for the time being is, wouldn`t that mean that we still have like $30 million in cap? Gotta spend that, right?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Great draft @jrry32

My only question for the time being is, wouldn`t that mean that we still have like $30 million in cap? Gotta spend that, right?
How did you arrive at $30M?

At this moment, Spotrac has the Rams with $35M of cap space; and OTC has the number at $28M.

That's before tender offers to restricted free agents like Jackson; and cap space allocated to the Draft Class.

The Rams can create some additional cap space but how much do you think that will be?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great draft @jrry32

I imagine we'd have some space left over, but I'm skeptical it would be $30 million. And this mock doesn't capture some of the smaller signings that would likely occur (like the Akhello Witherspoon and DeMarcus Robinson signings from last year). My POV is that it's better not to spend the money if there isn't somebody worth spending it on. You never know when you might need cap flexibility for a trade during the season. ;)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
How did you arrive at $30M?

At this moment, Spotrac has the Rams with $35M of cap space; and OTC has the number at $28M.

That's before tender offers to restricted free agents like Jackson; and cap space allocated to the Draft Class.

The Rams can create some additional cap space but how much do you think that will be?

It jumps to 45 if we cut Notboom post-June 1st. Maybe I should have said 20 million leftover cap. Not a bad problem to have though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It jumps to 45 if we cut Notboom post-June 1st. Maybe I should have said 20 million leftover cap. Not a bad problem to have though.
Cutting Noteboom post June 1 doesnt affect the cap until June 1.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hey, Jerry, what are your thoughts on Josh Uche as a free agent acquisition instead of Huff? Looking at a lot of Huff's games...he's awful as a run defender. Uche isn't great either, but he's at least versatile enough to drop into coverage and rush the passer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, Jerry, what are your thoughts on Josh Uche as a free agent acquisition instead of Huff? Looking at a lot of Huff's games...he's awful as a run defender. Uche isn't great either, but he's at least versatile enough to drop into coverage and rush the passer.
I'm concerned about the bad year he just had. Wouldn't want to pay him based on 2022 production when he might be a one-year wonder who benefitted from scheme and high a number of sacks relative to his number of pressures.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm concerned about the bad year he just had. Wouldn't want to pay him based on 2022 production when he might be a one-year wonder who benefitted from scheme and high a number of sacks relative to his number of pressures.

He wasn't really a starter for New England any of his years for them; he had less snaps in 2023 (319) than 2022 (374), but only two starts. Could also be a Shaq Barrett situation. I think he had less sacks because they dropped him into coverage a lot - and if I had to choose, I trust Uche's coverage more than Huff's run defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wasn't really a starter for New England any of his years for them; he had less snaps in 2023 (319) than 2022 (374), but only two starts. Could also be a Shaq Barrett situation. I think he had less sacks because they dropped him into coverage a lot - and if I had to choose, I trust Uche's coverage more than Huff's run defense.
Okay, but Uche's coverage isn't consistent with the point of signing him. You don't have to cover anyone on running plays, and the point of signing Huff is for his pass rush ability. I don't want him in coverage.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Okay, but Uche's coverage isn't consistent with the point of signing him. You don't have to cover anyone on running plays, and the point of signing Huff is for his pass rush ability. I don't want him in coverage.
True, sorry, didn't say it right. If Huff's playing on the other side of Byron Young in this defensive system, they'll both drop into coverage a fair bit. The point I'm trying to say is that I believe, from viewing, Uche's run defense, while bad, is still better than Huff's, and he has the added versatility of being able to drop into coverage as well.

Huff's a hell of a pass-rusher, but very limited otherwise.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While that's true, it's not a big deal, practically speaking.
Yup. Cut him now, saves 5 mill of cap space in ‘24
Basically covers the cost of Alaric Jackson RFA tender

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup. Cut him now, saves 5 mill of cap space in ‘24
Basically covers the cost of Alaric Jackson RFA tender
I was saying the opposite. Post-June 1st him. Getting the $15 million after June 1st isn't a big deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, sorry, didn't say it right. If Huff's playing on the other side of Byron Young in this defensive system, they'll both drop into coverage a fair bit. The point I'm trying to say is that I believe, from viewing, Uche's run defense, while bad, is still better than Huff's, and he has the added versatility of being able to drop into coverage as well.

Huff's a hell of a pass-rusher, but very limited otherwise.
I respect that. What I'm saying is I am signing Huff to rush the passer. I don't want him dropping into coverage more than occasionally.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was saying the opposite. Post-June 1st him. Getting the $15 million after June 1st isn't a big deal.
Why push 10 mill of dead cap in to 2025 if you cant use the 10 mill in free agency?
His roster bonus is guaranteed so he’s in for 5 mill either way.
May as well hang on to him then and release him after June 1 if they can’t trade him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why push 10 mill of dead cap in to 2025 if you cant use the 10 mill in free agency?
His roster bonus is guaranteed so he’s in for 5 mill either way.
May as well hang on to him then and release him after June 1 if they can’t trade him.
You can use the $10 million in free agency. You can delay signing rookies until after June 1st, and you can structure contracts so that some first-year bonuses are paid out after June 1st (if you want).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can use the $10 million in free agency. You can delay signing rookies until after June 1st, and you can structure contracts so that some first-year bonuses are paid out after June 1st (if you want).
You’re carrying his cap until June 1st just to push 10 mill to next season. It makes no sense. Be done with it. There are ways to create cap room without hitting next season unnecessarily

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You’re carrying his cap until June 1st just to push 10 mill to next season. It makes no sense. Be done with it. There are ways to create cap room without hitting next season unnecessarily
Again, this line of logic doesn't make sense to me. If we aren't going to use that $10 million, it gets rolled over to next season, so it cancels out. If we use it, we've benefitted in 2024, a season where we're apparently planning to make a push. It's helpful to have that $10 million in case we decide we want to use it in FA or want to make a trade before/during the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, this line of logic doesn't make sense to me. If we aren't going to use that $10 million, it gets rolled over to next season, so it cancels out. If we use it, we've benefitted in 2024, a season where we're apparently planning to make a push. It's helpful to have that $10 million in case we decide we want to use it in FA or want to make a trade before/during the season.
If you plan on spending in free agency, the June 1 designation doesnt help
Teams are already posting rookie salaries post June 1
Only time it makes sense to cut with post June 1 allocation is if you can avoid paying out bonuses prior.
It is what it is