Jrry32's First Mock Offseason of 2024 (02/03/2024)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, y'all are having so much fun, so I figure I'll dive in. I've been really busy with work (and will remain quite busy over the next couple months), so I haven't had a lot of time to do a deep dive on players just yet. But I'll do my best here.
Release
OT Joe Noteboom (post June 1)
OL Brian Allen

Nothing surprising here.

Re-sign
OL Kevin Dotson
S Jordan Fuller
OT Alaric Jackson (First Round Tender)
DL Michael Hoecht (ROFR)
DL Jonah Williams (ROFR)
WR Austin Trammel (ERFA)
HB Ronnie Rivers (ERFA)

I think we need to bring back Dotson. I'd re-sign Fuller too. I don't think he'll break the bank. He's a solid glue guy in the secondary.

Free Agency

Bryce Huff EDGE Jets

I think most of the top guys will get franchised. I agree with Memphis that Bryce Huff would be a great addition. He's a highly productive edge rusher who gives off Shaq Barrett vibes to me. Has looked great in a rotational role. I think he'll flourish if given an opportunity to start. He has shortcomings as a run defender, but he'll bring the pass rushing we need on the edge.

Cody Barton ILB Commodes

I think Barton is a solid bargain signing. Outside of the one year with Bobby Wagner, that ILB spot next to Ernest Jones has plagued us for awhile. Barton isn't an elite player. But he's a solid guy who will also bring it on special teams.

David Edwards OL Bills

After spending the year in Buffalo as depth, I don't see David Edwards costing much to return. I'm bringing in him as a depth option, not a starter. His ability to play either OG spot and RT (maybe even LT in a pinch) makes him a useful backup. OL depth is important.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #19, Round 2 Pick #19, and Round 6 Pick #40 (TVC = 1269.2)
Cardinals trade Round 1 Pick #27, Round 2 Pick #3, and Round 5 Pick #3 (TVC = 1267.5)

Cardinals trade up for a defensive player they were targeting. We're content to move down to better situate ourselves to land the two guys we're targeting early in the Draft.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #19, Round 3 Pick #36, Round 5 Pick #20, and Round 6 Pick #39 (TVC = 309.4)
Chiefs trade Round 2 Pick #32 and Round 4 Pick #32 (TVC = 309.5)

Rams move up to ensure they don't lose out on the player they're targeting.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #27 - Ennis Rakestraw CB Missouri

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hucr65iaOcU

Round 2 Pick #3 - Jackson Powers-Johnson OL Oregon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsldsSIl7Y4

Round 2 Pick #32 - Spencer Rattler QB South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_SruRs9dA

Round 4 Pick #32 - Ben Sinnott TE Kansas State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPrQrWxni8

Round 5 Pick #3 - Sione Vaki HB/DB Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myuN_NTIzlg

Round 5 Pick #19 - Ainias Smith WR/RS Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2RAAaGHR4

Round 5 Pick #43 - Will Reichard K Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5oO4qFrL7g

Round 6 Pick #13 - M.J. Devonshire CB Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8ul571Nyo

Round 6 Pick #34 - J.D. Bertrand ILB Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgipKzkSHVQ

Round 7 Pick #19 - Julian Pearl OT Illinois

Draft Analysis:
Rakestraw is a long, physical, and talented cover CB who fits quite well in our scheme. He is a quicker than fast CB who excels in off man and zone coverage. Powers-Johnson is similar to the Avila pick from last year. He's a massive man who will be another anchor in the middle. We need to keep Stafford healthy and the running game rolling I moved up for Rattler because I think he could be the QB of the future. Rifle for an arm, good scrambling ability, able to improvise, and a guy who has improved leaps and bounds as he has matured despite his team around him lacking this year. With Higbee out, I wanted to get TE insurance. Sinnott is a TE/FB hybrid who runs like a bull with the ball after the catch.

Sione Vaki is a NFL prospect at both HB and DB. I'm drafting him to play HB, as I was highly impressed with his vision, explosiveness, power, and receiving skills. The best part of this kid is that he'll bring it on special teams as he develops as a HB. Ainias Smith is both a top-notch punt returner and a dangerous WR. Lethal with the ball in his hands in space. I took Reichard because I felt a team would reach on Karty. Reichard demonstrated 60+ yard range at the Senior Bowl this week and has gotten better and better throughout his college career. He had a really good senior season. Devonshire has long arms, explosive burst, and quick feet. He's also shown the ability to make plays on the football. Undersized but a good boom/bust pick here. Bertrand is a instinctive ILB with better football skills than physical traits. Pearl is a developmental OT. Has the size, length, movement skills, and mean streak (former DT). Needs a lot of polishing.

Starters
QB: Matthew Stafford
HB: Kyren Williams
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Puka Nacua
WR: Tutu Atwell
TE: Davis Allen (I expect Higbee misses part of the season)
LT: Alaric Jackson
LG: Steve Avila
C: Jackson Powers-Johnson
RG: Kevin Dotson
RT: Rob Havenstein

DL: Kobie Turner
DL: Bobby Brown III
DL: Aaron Donald
OLB: Bryce Huff
ILB: Ernest Jones
ILB: Cody Barton
OLB: Byron Young
CB: Ennis Rakestraw
CB: Derion Kendrick v. Cobie Durant
SLCB: Quentin Lake v. Tre Hodges-Tomlinson
LS: Jordan Fuller
RS: Russ Yeast

K: Will Reichard
P: Ethan Evans
LS: Alex Ward
RS: Ainias Smith

Last edited:

methomas50

UDFA
Most intriguing pick is Sinnott. Not sure about his blocking ability but i would be surprised if Higbee is ready in Sept. If anybody could maximize Rattler, its McVay. Talented but supposedly difficult to coach. He was considered a top pick prior to the 22 college season. His stock has fallen since then.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love it! Big fan of those picks in the Sinnott Vaki and Smith run. Especially like Smith with his little bit of return history.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Excellent off-season; I would be delighted with that.

I personally prefer a couple of cornerbacks to Rakestraw, and if one of them were available at 19 I wouldn’t hesitate to snap them up, but that’s just personal preference.

Good job. :thumbsup1:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really doubt if he'll make it there, but if Jackson Powers Johnson is still on the board at #27 the Rams should grab him. Right now, methinks, the Cowboys at #24 is the latest he'll go.

Rakestraw is a good player. But it concerns me that a team that kinda struggles to get turnovers would select a CB who had only one interception in four years of college. BTW, while I've seen some of the draftnik media prognostications saying otherwise, I kinda think he'll still be on the board with the Rams original 2nd round selection.

Love the idea of finally nabbing a legit punt returner. McVay is leaving yards / field position on the field with all those fair catches.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Would not be mad at this offseason at all. Big fan of Huff signing.

I can't see JPJ dropping into the 2nd after his monster showing all week in practices at the Senior Bowl, but, Avila was suggested as a 1st rounder too, so it could happen. I'd prefer several other CB prospects to Rake, but, at #27, he's probably the last one standing. Rattler is a solid dice roll at the end of the 3rd. Certainly has the talent, just needs coached up.

All around great job.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All my love for this offseason (especially Rakestraw), but I think that JPJ and Sinnott go much higher than where you have them going; they've really improved their stock.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love the idea of JPJ and signing Dotson and Jackson. The line would be a top five unit. Maybe top two.

They need a corner and Safety, both of which have good speed. I also think they need to address WR.

I think if the Rams want JPJ, the speculation is that he won’t get past Pittsburgh. So they’d have to take him at 19. But a lot can change between now and April.

I like Rattler as a developmental piece. I think drafting a QB totally hinges on what happens with Wentz. That’s valuable capital for a team looking to win now, that has a lot of holes. At that 2/32 they may be able to find a good corner or WR that can stretch the field.

I’m a big fan of Vaki. I like the kicker pick too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the idea of JPJ and signing Dotson and Jackson. The line would be a top five unit. Maybe top two.

They need a corner and Safety, both of which have good speed. I also think they need to address WR.

I think if the Rams want JPJ, the speculation is that he won’t get past Pittsburgh. So they’d have to take him at 19. But a lot can change between now and April.

I like Rattler as a developmental piece. I think drafting a QB totally hinges on what happens with Wentz. That’s valuable capital for a team looking to win now, that has a lot of holes. At that 2/32 they may be able to find a good corner or WR that can stretch the field.

I’m a big fan of Vaki. I like the kicker pick too.
I wouldn't do that. Interior OLs get devalued. It makes it easy to find really good ones on Day 2. I'd consider JPJ at the end of the first round if we traded down, but I'm not taking a Center that high unless I see a HOF talent.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I would absolutely love if things went this way for FA and draft. Only thing I’d change is picking a DL or edge (maybe OT) instead of QB in the late 2nd.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would absolutely love if things went this way for FA and draft. Only thing I’d change is picking a DL or edge (maybe OT) instead of QB in the late 2nd.
This is the year to target a QB on late Day 1 or Day 2. We need to start planning for the future, and there are some very talented guys who will fall out of the top half of the first round.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
This is the year to target a QB on late Day 1 or Day 2. We need to start planning for the future, and there are some very talented guys who will fall out of the top half of the first round.
Oh I agree with your thinking/mindset. I just don’t think McSnead does - so I’m commenting from their perspective (imo).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn't do that. Interior OLs get devalued. It makes it easy to find really good ones on Day 2. I'd consider JPJ at the end of the first round if we traded down, but I'm not taking a Center that high unless I see a HOF talent.
It’s starting to sound like JPJ will have that level of impact. I guess it depends on what they see in him and what their options are at 19, i.e. if they cannot workout a trade.

Ragnow was drafted with the twentieth pick in the first round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s starting to sound like JPJ will have that level of impact. I guess it depends on what they see in him and what their options are at 19, i.e. if they cannot workout a trade.

Ragnow was drafted with the twentieth pick in the first round.
I'm comfortable waiting. Avila has G/C versatility, and there will be some very good IOLs available on Day 2 if he goes earlier.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love the draft just not a fan of Spencer Rattler, seems to lose quite a bit and Oklahoma could not wait to move on from him. Again, you tend to be more in tune then me, but I have watched quite a bit of Rattler's play and IMHO, I do not see a starting QB at the next level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the draft just not a fan of Spencer Rattler, seems to lose quite a bit and Oklahoma could not wait to move on from him. Again, you tend to be more in tune then me, but I have watched quite a bit of Rattler's play and IMHO, I do not see a starting QB at the next level.
He's a different QB now. Oklahoma did move on from him, but that was because they had Caleb Williams waiting in the wings and Rattler was having a down year. I don't blame him at all for SC losing in 2023. They had a bad defense, no running game for most of the season, and an ineffective OL. Rattler put the team on his back and played at a high level for almost the entire season. I was intensely skeptical of him after 2022, but there's no denying he has improved a lot over the years. And he has the skillset McVay seems to want.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Well, y'all are having so much fun, so I figure I'll dive in. I've been really busy with work (and will remain quite busy over the next couple months), so I haven't had a lot of time to do a deep dive on players just yet. But I'll do my best here.
Release
OT Joe Noteboom (post June 1)
OL Brian Allen

Nothing surprising here.

Re-sign
OL Kevin Dotson
S Jordan Fuller
OT Alaric Jackson (First Round Tender)
DL Michael Hoecht (ROFR)
DL Jonah Williams (ROFR)
WR Austin Trammel (ERFA)
HB Ronnie Rivers (ERFA)

I think we need to bring back Dotson. I'd re-sign Fuller too. I don't think he'll break the bank. He's a solid glue guy in the secondary.

Free Agency

Bryce Huff EDGE Jets

I think most of the top guys will get franchised. I agree with Memphis that Bryce Huff would be a great addition. He's a highly productive edge rusher who gives off Shaq Barrett vibes to me. Has looked great in a rotational role. I think he'll flourish if given an opportunity to start. He has shortcomings as a run defender, but he'll bring the pass rushing we need on the edge.

Cody Barton ILB Commodes

I think Barton is a solid bargain signing. Outside of the one year with Bobby Wagner, that ILB spot next to Ernest Jones has plagued us for awhile. Barton isn't an elite player. But he's a solid guy who will also bring it on special teams.

David Edwards OL Bills

After spending the year in Buffalo as depth, I don't see David Edwards costing much to return. I'm bringing in him as a depth option, not a starter. His ability to play either OG spot and RT (maybe even LT in a pinch) makes him a useful backup. OL depth is important.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #19, Round 2 Pick #19, and Round 6 Pick #40 (TVC = 1269.2)
Cardinals trade Round 1 Pick #27, Round 2 Pick #3, and Round 5 Pick #3 (TVC = 1267.5)

Cardinals trade up for a defensive player they were targeting. We're content to move down to better situate ourselves to land the two guys we're targeting early in the Draft.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #19, Round 3 Pick #36, Round 5 Pick #20, and Round 6 Pick #39 (TVC = 309.4)
Chiefs trade Round 2 Pick #32 and Round 4 Pick #32 (TVC = 309.5)

Rams move up to ensure they don't lose out on the player they're targeting.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #27 - Ennis Rakestraw CB Missouri

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hucr65iaOcU

Round 2 Pick #3 - Jackson Powers-Johnson OL Oregon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsldsSIl7Y4

Round 2 Pick #32 - Spencer Rattler QB South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_SruRs9dA

Round 4 Pick #32 - Ben Sinnott TE Kansas State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pPrQrWxni8

Round 5 Pick #3 - Sione Vaki HB/DB Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myuN_NTIzlg

Round 5 Pick #19 - Ainias Smith WR/RS Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2RAAaGHR4

Round 5 Pick #43 - Will Reichard K Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5oO4qFrL7g

Round 6 Pick #13 - M.J. Devonshire CB Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8ul571Nyo

Round 6 Pick #34 - J.D. Bertrand ILB Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgipKzkSHVQ

Round 7 Pick #19 - Julian Pearl OT Illinois

Draft Analysis:
Rakestraw is a long, physical, and talented cover CB who fits quite well in our scheme. He is a quicker than fast CB who excels in off man and zone coverage. Powers-Johnson is similar to the Avila pick from last year. He's a massive man who will be another anchor in the middle. We need to keep Stafford healthy and the running game rolling I moved up for Rattler because I think he could be the QB of the future. Rifle for an arm, good scrambling ability, able to improvise, and a guy who has improved leaps and bounds as he has matured despite his team around him lacking this year. With Higbee out, I wanted to get TE insurance. Sinnott is a TE/FB hybrid who runs like a bull with the ball after the catch.

Sione Vaki is a NFL prospect at both HB and DB. I'm drafting him to play HB, as I was highly impressed with his vision, explosiveness, power, and receiving skills. The best part of this kid is that he'll bring it on special teams as he develops as a HB. Ainias Smith is both a top-notch punt returner and a dangerous WR. Lethal with the ball in his hands in space. I took Reichard because I felt a team would reach on Karty. Reichard demonstrated 60+ yard range at the Senior Bowl this week and has gotten better and better throughout his college career. He had a really good senior season. Devonshire has long arms, explosive burst, and quick feet. He's also shown the ability to make plays on the football. Undersized but a good boom/bust pick here. Bertrand is a instinctive ILB with better football skills than physical traits. Pearl is a developmental OT. Has the size, length, movement skills, and mean streak (former DT). Needs a lot of polishing.

Starters
QB: Matthew Stafford
HB: Kyren Williams
WR: Cooper Kupp
WR: Puka Nacua
WR: Tutu Atwell
TE: Davis Allen (I expect Higbee misses part of the season)
LT: Alaric Jackson
LG: Steve Avila
C: Jackson Powers-Johnson
RG: Kevin Dotson
RT: Rob Havenstein

DL: Kobie Turner
DL: Bobby Brown III
DL: Aaron Donald
OLB: Bryce Huff
ILB: Ernest Jones
ILB: Cody Barton
OLB: Byron Young
CB: Ennis Rakestraw
CB: Derion Kendrick v. Cobie Durant
SLCB: Quentin Lake v. Tre Hodges-Tomlinson
LS: Jordan Fuller
RS: Russ Yeast

K: Will Reichard
P: Ethan Evans
LS: Alex Ward
RS: Ainias Smith

I appreciate the work you did here. I like some of these players.
2 questions:
1) You used a 1st round pick on a CB. You feel this is a priority over other positions like OT or Edge? Who, IMO won't find any players with the ability to contribute from day 1. Meaning, the CB class is deep and maybe can wait a round or two. OT sems like a big need to me. I thought the Rams were lucky with how well Aleric JAckson played at LOT and with Havenstein losing foot quickness in pass protection.
2) Pass Rush: Even with the unexpected production from Rookies Byron Young and Kobi Turner, the Rams pressure percentage was about 27th in the League. You think the addition of just Huff will improve this?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I appreciate the work you did here. I like some of these players.
2 questions:
1) You used a 1st round pick on a CB. You feel this is a priority over other positions like OT or Edge? Who, IMO won't find any players with the ability to contribute from day 1. Meaning, the CB class is deep and maybe can wait a round or two. OT sems like a big need to me. I thought the Rams were lucky with how well Aleric JAckson played at LOT and with Havenstein losing foot quickness in pass protection.
2) Pass Rush: Even with the unexpected production from Rookies Byron Young and Kobi Turner, the Rams pressure percentage was about 27th in the League. You think the addition of just Huff will improve this?
1. I don't consider OT a priority this year. Jackson is a competent LT, and Havenstein is still a quality RT. I'd consider OT a priority in 2025.
2. Yes. Keep in mind how many rookie edge rushers we had. What we lacked was one guy who could consistently get after the QB off the edge. Huff can be that guy. Pair that with Donald, Turner, Byron Young, and the others, and we should be okay.