Jrry32 Penultimate Mock Draft of 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Great work as always

The first 4 picks will all become starters IMO (y) I like the TE in the 4th as that is a key position if the O is to become more consistent springing the run

My only qualm is that we might be a hair late with those picks and thus, possibly miss out on all 4 :)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Lots of fun,
I love Laviska Shenault WR Colorado but he scares the shit outa me. Pittman if there is a lot of value and more ready to play IMO but yes doesn't have the x covered like Laviska. Going to be really interesting to see if and when we strike at WR. If we were to draft even 1 starter and that starter be on the OL I would be ecstatic. No better place to start than Center

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice haul overall with a lot of needs and a necessary influx of talent good job. Lot of those guys are players whose film I enjoyed watching. (y)

The Shenault pick I agree is risky and tbh he concerns me because I think he will be there at 52 and the Rams might well take him. Strong bust possibility there IMO but you did surround it with a lot of solidity.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I know I’m not as savvy as most on this forum, but why would the Rams draft Laviska when this draft is so deep at WR. We can find a Cooks replacement in later rounds. I love the guy, he looks special to me, but his injury history is suspect. And maybe someone can fill me in on why WR would be #1 priority enough to take with our top pick and further more trade down with our other second? I keep seeing mocks on this board drafting WR’s high. We have Reynolds and he filled in nice, resigning him won’t be a huge cap hit would it?

And trading out of the second also puzzles me - what’s the inside scoop here to speculate that would be the case? We can stay with our two 2nds and grab two potential starters. I don’t know, I like the mock draft but thought we have greater needs at defense and Oline. We all love Moss though, that would be a nice pick in the 3rd for sure

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Really love the picks of Shenault, Dye, Moss, Bachie, Hennessy. I can admit I haven't been able to watch much of the other players you took. Adding Laviska and Moss would be, IMO, an upgrade over our weapons last year. I believe both guys can be special in the NFL if they can stay healthy. Great job Jerry!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know I’m not as savvy as most on this forum, but why would the Rams draft Laviska when this draft is so deep at WR. We can find a Cooks replacement in later rounds. I love the guy, he looks special to me, but his injury history is suspect. And maybe someone can fill me in on why WR would be #1 priority enough to take with our top pick and further more trade down with our other second? I keep seeing mocks on this board drafting WR’s high. We have Reynolds and he filled in nice, resigning him won’t be a huge cap hit would it?

And trading out of the second also puzzles me - what’s the inside scoop here to speculate that would be the case? We can stay with our two 2nds and grab two potential starters. I don’t know, I like the mock draft but thought we have greater needs at defense and Oline. We all love Moss though, that would be a nice pick in the 3rd for sure

Why draft Shenault? Because he's likely going to be a great player. I love Reynolds, but he's not going to re-sign with us after this year, and even now, he won't be better than Shenault.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Anyway, I fucking love the Shenault pick. If he fails in the NFL, it won't be because of character; this kid is so well-grounded, not a diva like quite a few receivers. Hennessey is another great pick that I love. I'm okay with Moss, Dye, Bachie, and Hill; they wouldn't be my first picks, but I can absolutely see why you picked them. Love the Asiasi and Jennings picks.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Why draft Shenault? Because he's likely going to be a great player. I love Reynolds, but he's not going to re-sign with us after this year, and even now, he won't be better than Shenault.

I think there are lots of potentially 'great' players like Shenault who will be there at 52 and 57,
My question is more about what's behind the logic of a WR at 52 - and Shenault specifically at 52.
And why the trading out of our second 2nd at 57.
Jrry has Reynolds starting over Shenault, so I thought it was safe to reason that the thinking was like Jrry himself said, that Shenault would be used on returns, coming out of the backfield, and easing him as slot receiver here and there. So definitely not a starter - but he gets to develop under a starter, kinda the same as the Henderson pick, I guess in that regard maybe.
Shenault is badass, I'd love to see the guy in horns, he's got that electricity I like -- but my question is the fact we still do have Reynolds, so it's not really a huge area of need when this draft is so deep at WR. I mean we can grab a potentially great one with one of our two 3rd Rounders.
And as far as trading down from round two, I don't know, i mean, if anything with two #2s and two #3s you'd think that Snead would be looking to trade up if anything.
I like the mock and would be really happy if it happened in real life,
but just wondering why WR is perceived to be the direction this team is heading with its top pick(s)

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think there are lots of potentially 'great' players like Shenault who will be there at 52 and 57,
My question is more about what's behind the logic of a WR at 52 - and Shenault specifically at 52.
And why the trading out of our second 2nd at 57.
Jrry has Reynolds starting over Shenault, so I thought it was safe to reason that the thinking was like Jrry himself said, that Shenault would be used on returns, coming out of the backfield, and easing him as slot receiver here and there. So definitely not a starter - but he gets to develop under a starter, kinda the same as the Henderson pick, I guess in that regard maybe.
Shenault is badass, I'd love to see the guy in horns, he's got that electricity I like -- but my question is the fact we still do have Reynolds, so it's not really a huge area of need when this draft is so deep at WR. I mean we can grab a potentially great one with one of our two 3rd Rounders.
And as far as trading down from round two, I don't know, i mean, if anything with two #2s and two #3s you'd think that Snead would be looking to trade up if anything.
I like the mock and would be really happy if it happened in real life,
but just wondering why WR is perceived to be the direction this team is heading with its top pick(s)

Mainly because trading out of the second pick will get more Day Two picks. Why Shenault will get Day 2 consideration at that pick is because other receivers will likely go early (Higgins, Mims, all of the projected first round receivers like Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs etc.) Shenault is a risk, I will grant you that, but if he pans out - and I think he will - he will be, like Jrry mentioned, Anquan Boldin with more speed or - like I mentioned before in one of my mocks - a more physical Sammy Watkins.

And Reynolds starts because he knows the system and it gives time for Shenault to acclimate to the pros. That doesn't make Reynolds better than Shenault; it just means that he'll get more offensive snaps at the beginning.

And yeah, Snead could trade up with his two seconds and two thirds, but why do it when we need cheap talent in a deep draft?

Sorry for rambling. Also sorry @jrry32 for hijacking the thread.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Mainly because trading out of the second pick will get more Day Two picks. Why Shenault will get Day 2 consideration at that pick is because other receivers will likely go early (Higgins, Mims, all of the projected first round receivers like Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs etc.) Shenault is a risk, I will grant you that, but if he pans out - and I think he will - he will be, like Jrry mentioned, Anquan Boldin with more speed or - like I mentioned before in one of my mocks - a more physical Sammy Watkins.

And Reynolds starts because he knows the system and it gives time for Shenault to acclimate to the pros. That doesn't make Reynolds better than Shenault; it just means that he'll get more offensive snaps at the beginning.

And yeah, Snead could trade up with his two seconds and two thirds, but why do it when we need cheap talent in a deep draft?

Sorry for rambling. Also sorry @jrry32 for hijacking the thread.

Thanks Memento!
I appreciate you answering the question for sure, although still have no idea why the Rams would go WR that early — like Shenault at 52 in Jrry’s mock and your draft where we are trading up for Mims.
If either guy (Shenault or in your case Mims) is being developed for 2021 why not take a shot with those higher picks on a player that could actually be a starter this year - positions like Center, RB, LB DE, and even CB. In such a deep draft at WR you can conceptually get far more value at that position in late rounds if the plan is to let them “develop” in a backup roll and special teams, right? I mean logically speaking?
Anyway i just wondered if this is inside info that they are going WR. Normally there is a buzz about that or some of you guys are connected to know - that’s sorta why I’m asking why WR so damn high

Memento

Name
Jemma
Thanks Memento!
I appreciate you answering the question for sure, although still have no idea why the Rams would go WR that early — like Shenault at 52 in Jrry’s mock and your draft where we are trading up for Mims.
If either guy (Shenault or in your case Mims) is being developed for 2021 why not take a shot with those higher picks on a player that could actually be a starter this year - positions like Center, RB, LB DE, and even CB. In such a deep draft at WR you can conceptually get far more value at that position in late rounds if the plan is to let them “develop” in a backup roll and special teams, right? I mean logically speaking?
Anyway i just wondered if this is inside info that they are going WR. Normally there is a buzz about that or some of you guys are connected to know - that’s sorta why I’m asking why WR so damn high

The wideout we take will get playing time, but I don't think they'll start immediately unless they really impress. Given that Cooks is gone, we need a receiver that can step in and not miss a beat. A late round receiver won't be able to do that.

I can see us using a second/third on an inside linebacker (like Baun, if we're lucky) a running back, and/or a center. We don't particularly need a corner (even if we trade someone like Hill, there's tons of depth, including one or more potential late-round draftee/UDFA). We don't need a starting defensive end either, with Donald, Robinson, and Brockers.

Don't have inside info on if we're taking a wide receiver early, but it's more possible than other positions.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks good jrry. Even Mr. Cognac at center might work!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Excellent draft, would love this. Shenault looks like what Cordarelle was supposed to be, so to me, he doesn't really look "raw". And ya a great comparison is a more physical Watkins @Memento but without all the bobbling, juggling small-hands catches. Laviska catches so much more naturally. If he stays healthy & grows into the NFL he'll easily replace Reynolds in 2021. Great comparison to Boldin @jrry32 , who iirc spent a lot of time in the tub as well but turned out to have a great NFL career.

Taking RB high in round 2 would be a mistake -- or correcting the mistake of drafting Hendo, however you see it. Drafting Z.Moss in round 3 is a great pairing with Hendo, and salvages DH's value -- Hendo is a really good RB, I really don't think we need to overspend to get a Dobbins / Taylor / 3-down RB. With a lead blocker / FB I think Hendo would be a great 3-down RB anyway.
And the big UCLA TE would be an excellent pick to pair with Higbeast in a 12 formation - could even motion to FB & save Higs some mileage blocking. A first down formation of Higs / Asasi (sp?) / Shenault / Kupp / Moss would be beastly.

Henessey all day in round 3. BTW Cushenberry with 15 Wonderlic???? no thanks.

Rest of draft looks to be great value picks for depth, which every great team needs to go deep in the playoffs.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
BTW I like the LB picks, I think we have more than we think on the roster, w/ Obo / Ebu / Floyd et al.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We don't particularly need a corner (even if we trade someone like Hill, there's tons of depth, including one or more potential late-round draftee/UDFA).

We don’t particularly need a WR
(even if we trade someone like Reynolds, there’s tons of depth, including one or more potential late-round draftees/UDFA)

See what I did there? Haha

This is basically my point.
Your guy’s inclination to go WR so high - in your case even going so far to trade up - and in Jrry’s case a guy who’s talented but injury prone, doesn’t seem any more justified than taking let’s say CB at 52. Or another more pressing need. I don’t understand all the enthusiasm and praise for these mocks at go WR so high

but yeah with that being said watch the Rams draft a WR first :D

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought it would be fun, so I ran @jrry32 mock in the Mock Draft Simulator. The first 4 picks were there.(y) His 4th round (#120) TE Devin Asiasi went 3rd round (#102) to Pittsburgh, 4th round (#137) LB Joe Bachie went 3rd round (#98) to New England, 5th round (#163) S J.R. Reed went 5th round (#156) to San Francisco, 7th round (#234) CB Lavert Hill went 6th round (#183) to New York Giants, 7th round (#250) LB Khaleke Hudson went 7th round (#240) to Houston.

draft1.jpg

Ramzee

Rookie
I really would love to add Matt Hennessy or Tyler Biadasz. The Rams NEED to invest some higher draft capitol into the OL if we are to get back to the promised land. I'm tired of watching mediocre line play. I'd love to see some superior line play. I don't watch college football like I used to but there seems to be some good WR's available in the 2nd. There are a few I wouldn't mind being in horns, just based off of a cursory glance. Imagine Claypool & Woods blocking for Hendo/Moss.

Ramzee

Rookie
I doubt he fits the scheme but Mike Onwenu is someone I'd love to grab in the later rounds. That guy is a beast!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really would love to add Matt Hennessy or Tyler Biadasz. The Rams NEED to invest some higher draft capitol into the OL if we are to get back to the promised land. I'm tired of watching mediocre line play. I'd love to see some superior line play. I don't watch college football like I used to but there seems to be some good WR's available in the 2nd. There are a few I wouldn't mind being in horns, just based off of a cursory glance. Imagine Claypool & Woods blocking for Hendo/Moss.

Agreed. Good to hear from you, Mike!