Josh Reynolds steps up as No. 3 receiver | Free Agent Spotlight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Josh Reynolds steps up as No. 3 receiver | Free Agent Spotlight

A bigger role in the offense awaited wide receiver Josh Reynolds after the Rams traded Brandin Cooks to the Texans last spring. While Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp handled the bulk of the reps, Reynolds had been viewed by Los Angeles teammates and head coach Sean McVay as a third starter. Though Reynolds had a quiet 2017 rookie season, he emerged from it with 50 catches for 728 yards and six touchdowns over his next two.

In that expanded role in his fourth season, Reynolds posted 52 catches for 618 yards – both career-highs – plus two touchdowns while playing in all 16 regular season games for the fourth-straight year. Those 618 yards were third-most among Rams receivers in 2020. He also recorded at least four catches in seven of those 16 games.

However, with his rookie contract expiring, the former 2017 fourth-round pick is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 17.

So what's next for the Rams and Reynolds?

The Rams could re-sign the 6-foot-3, 196-pound receiver. If brought back, Reynolds would provide Los Angeles with an experienced and durable big-play threat – see his career average of 12.8 yards per reception through his first four seasons, and the 40-yard touchdown catch against the 49ers in Week 6 as examples. When knee bursitis prevented Kupp from playing in the divisional round of the playoffs against the packers, Reynolds caught three passes for 65 yards.

If Reynolds and the Rams decide to go in different directions, the Rams could turn to wide receiver Van Jefferson, whom they selected with the No. 57 overall pick acquired in the Cooks trade with the Texans last year, as a replacement. While Jefferson didn't get a ton of opportunities as a rookie, he showed flashes when afforded an expanded role of being a capable third option after Woods and Kupp. The Rams could also look for Reynolds' replacement through free agency or the draft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If the Rams bring Reynolds back I'm gonna lose my shit.

Too lackadaisical for my liking. Killed so many drives and comebacks.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Agree w/ ya @kurtfaulk. This past season he looked like a guy that won’t fight for any 50/50 balls. I would even say he played “not” to get hurt in his contract year. That’s a red flag in my eyes. He’s totally replaceable and Jefferson will be the guy. Plus they might even bring in Marvin Jones to keep Stafford happy and Jones won’t break the bank either. Maybe Jones wants to come home w/ his QB. Just sayin’

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree w/ ya @kurtfaulk. This past season he looked like a guy that won’t fight for any 50/50 balls. I would even say he played “not” to get hurt in his contract year. That’s a red flag in my eyes. He’s totally replaceable and Jefferson will be the guy. Plus they might even bring in Marvin Jones to keep Stafford happy and Jones won’t break the bank either. Maybe Jones wants to come home w/ his QB. Just sayin’

He has looked like that the whole time he's been with the Rams. Never fought for any ball when a defender was on him. I was ready for the Rams to cut him after the steelers game last season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh Reynolds steps up as No. 3 receiver
giphy.gif

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I wanted to like Reynolds but he was to soft with 50/50 balls to my liking. Which is the complete opposite of how he was with the ball in his hands.

TexasRam

Legend
Don't get me started on Josh Reynolds. I would rather focus on Rainbows and fluffy baby kittens.

I will make one general comment, we need to get more physical. This includes the WR's. We aint winning any Super Bowls with WR's that drop easy passes in traffic, get blown up in the run game, and fail to go up and actually bring a ball down in traffic. This includes the TE's.

/Rant off.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

1613638491091.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

If the Rams bring Reynolds back I'm gonna lose my shit.

Too lackadaisical for my liking. Killed so many drives and comebacks.

He blocked ok at times & made plays.Your right though his mind & play really sucked at times.
I watched a couple game tapes & saw some of those plays.I think he almost signed a Big Contract with The Rams before the 2020 draft.Played his hand & Jefferson was seating there for the taking.
Jefferson deserved more playing time,but The Rams will get more value in 2021 with Jefferson being more hungry & better for it.Olus the hope is he does Really Well in FA market. Comp Picks 2022.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't get me started on Josh Reynolds. I would rather focus on Rainbows and fluffy baby kittens.

I will make one general comment, we need to get more physical. This includes the WR's. We aint winning any Super Bowls with WR's that drop easy passes in traffic, get blown up in the run game, and fail to go up and actually bring a ball down in traffic. This includes the TE's.

/Rant off.

View attachment 43796

WOW - I like the fire & all but WOW. Not sure if your a Goff Fan or not ?
Either way I liked his toughness.The Rams WR are EXCELLENT & TOUGH.

To me You can cry all you want.I’ll just say The Rams need a deep threat to help open things up.If not a Speed WR/RB for kickoffs. Marvin Jones or a veteran like that?
Van Jefferson is going to be what he is.I don’t know anything more than he is a Very Good possession WR that will help move the chains.
Reynolds will get his chance to be a solid #2 or #3 WR somewhere else.He Will get paid.Just happy his agent didn’t sign that Big Contract last season.If I was his agent that piece of paper last year would have never dried & been printed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
200.gif

Naw, Josh Reynolds was the best dang receiver this team has ever had.... It sure would be a shame if someone signed him to a HUGE free agent deal that he so deserves. And leave the poor Rams with a measly 3rd round comp pick.....
giphy.gif

TexasRam

Legend
WOW - I like the fire & all but WOW. Not sure if your a Goff Fan or not ?
Either way I liked his toughness.The Rams WR are EXCELLENT & TOUGH.

To me You can cry all you want.I’ll just say The Rams need a deep threat to help open things up.If not a Speed WR/RB for kickoffs. Marvin Jones or a veteran like that?
Van Jefferson is going to be what he is.I don’t know anything more than he is a Very Good possession WR that will help move the chains.
Reynolds will get his chance to be a solid #2 or #3 WR somewhere else.He Will get paid.Just happy his agent didn’t sign that Big Contract last season.If I was his agent that piece of paper last year would have never dried & been printed.
1613675062664.gif

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh Reynolds is a free agent that I will miss the least. He gave the Rams some good plays, but he's really just another guy, and it's because of all the reasons you guys mention above. That said... I am wondering how much Van Jefferson will improve, especially with Stafford throwing the ball his way if he is open. We really don't know what Van has at this point. Receivers make their biggest jump in year 2, so he could be a deep threat, he could be a run-after-the-catch guy, or he could be that red zone target that they need. All I can say is that Stafford will bring out the best in this kid IF he can get open consistently.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The only free agent I'll miss less than Reynolds (please let him the fuck go, Snead) is Blythe. Reynolds pissed me off in a lot of games.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

/Rant off.

View attachment 43796

Your kitten looks tougher than Josh Reynolds.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not gonna miss him at all but he did make a couple of nice grabs on some low passes this year. Like others have said for his size he didn't go up and grab the passes that should have been his. His effort level was on par with Sammy Watkins when he was here and that was piss poor.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

/Rant off.

View attachment 43796

For Reynolds that's fair, but Kupp and Woods are two of the best run blocking WRs in the NFL, and Kupp has always been pretty good at going up and getting the ball. I think he more often than not has caught those deep 50/50 balls.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will make one general comment, we need to get more physical.
Agreed. Across the board. They're gonna try to increase explosives to get more room for error. But truth is that lack of physicality showed big time in all of our losses.

OL yes get physical. At the least a center who can hold the point. 5T we could use more, same with Edge, same with ILB, as well as WR outside the hashes. Your overall game in the playoffs has to have a certain amount of that or you get thumped in the playoffs.