John Johnson---PFF rating (verygood)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Found this on another board....I said he was weak in run support, well this shows something else....
[www.profootballfocus.com]

8. John Johnson III, S, Los Angeles Rams
PFF Grade: 85.9
PFF Elite Stat: Johnson’s 8.4 run stop percentage when lined up within eight yards of the line of scrimmage ranks sixth among safeties.

Johnson now ranks 11th among safeties in terms of overall grade and he’s one of just six safeties to have a coverage grade of at least 85.0 and a run defense grade of at least 80.0. Johnson started seeing regular playing time in Week 4 and he’s done nothing but reward the Rams with consistently good play, he’s finished just two games with a grade below 70.0 while posting a grade of at least 80.0 four times. Johnson’s been one of the best safeties in football when it comes to disrupting passes this season, his 23.5 forced incompletion rate ranks 14th among safeties. Johnson’s seven pass disruptions (breaking up a pass by either getting his hand on the ball or jarring it loose from a receiver with a hit) is the second-highest total among safeties.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
There is lot of hate on this board with JJ. I couldn't figure out why. It looks like this confirms what I am seeing on the field.

I think people expect Pro Bowl caliber players at every position on the field. Not possible.

Sappy113

Rookie
I've seen a few posters that gripe about Johnson. I figure that some people just need something to hitch about to feel normal. Johnson has been great, for a third round safety.

Did a little edit: Johnson has been great.

:)

But yea, I agree. Especially for a rookie safety, and one not drafted in the 1st round, JJ has been sound and solid. That is how you create a winning team. Good drafting and solid schemes that allow players to flourish. So much of the core of the team is now comprised of players drafted by the Rams: Goff, Gurley, Kupp, Jamon Brown, Havenstein, Saffold, both starting TEs on O. Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, Tru, Joyner, JJ, on D. Sure, it helps having a lot of high picks available, but you have to hit on those, AND on lower round picks as well, to build a winner. That's been working out fine lately.

TexasRam

Legend
I've seen a few posters that gripe about Johnson. I figure that some people just need something to hitch about to feel normal. Johnson has been great, for a third round safety.

That’s for dam sure. He had a rough game vs Philly and that’s where i think the hate comes, but otherwise he has exceeded expectations for a rookie day 2 pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Where's the hate ? All I see is praise

Beat me to it but agreed lol. Not much hate on this board on any player really tbh. Discussion on a developing player though? Yes. Which is what we do right?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beat me to it but agreed lol. Not much hate on this board on any player really tbh. Discussion on a developing player though? Yes. Which is what we do right?
Nah there are a few that want to bench him in favor of Barron being moved to ss. Some also that want to move him to FS. It's a small group but they're there.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I can honestly say I have never seen a group of Scouts thay find as many talented defensive backs is Snead's group has found.

They find UDFAs that look better than some teams draft picks.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
Not sure if the defensive all-rookie team has been announced yet but hopefully JJ will get some consideration for that honor.

fearsomefour

Legend
With Joyner and Johnson tbe Rams should be in good shape at S going forward.
A good draft pick. I was a little dubious of the pick because I thought there were more pressing needs when Johnson was drafted.
Very nice pick.

James Otto

Starter
With safeties, you NEVER want to hear their name called unless they are breaking up or intercepting a pass. I rarely hear Joyner or Johnson during the game - meaning they are very effective.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He has been very productive and I am sure glade the Rams have him. Have to admit I did not know much about him when they drafted him but it looks like they struck gold in the 3rd round.

Psycho_X

Legend
I've loved him so far. He's made a couple mistakes that were right on camera so I think people tend to remember those but overall the guy has been a stud for a rookie.

JackStraw

Rookie
I'm way more impressed with how Ebukam is playing.
I was one talking down about JJ. On ten yard runs he comes in and makes tackle 4 yards too late, he struggles to cover pass catchers who run routes in front of him, he's not very fast/lacks acceleration/size, takes bad angles allowing for opposing back to gain big, and seems to never step up on 3rd down. I see him most on TV 'in on' the tackle of WR who just caught a first down or chasing running backs from behind.

I guess he's okay at covering balls thrown 25+ yards down the field?

I'm sure he'll be fine, just going through typical rookie mistakes. Not quite sure how long his leash should be.

James Otto

Starter
I'm way more impressed with how Ebukam is playing.
I was one talking down about JJ. On ten yard runs he comes in and makes tackle 4 yards too late, he struggles to cover pass catchers who run routes in front of him, he's not very fast/lacks acceleration/size, takes bad angles allowing for opposing back to gain big, and seems to never step up on 3rd down. I see him most on TV 'in on' the tackle of WR who just caught a first down or chasing running backs from behind.

I guess he's okay at covering balls thrown 25+ yards down the field?

I'm sure he'll be fine, just going through typical rookie mistakes. Not quite sure how long his leash should be.

This was supposed to be in blue font right? We can't possibly be talking about the same player.

First, on most plays, it is not the job of the safety to stop running plays at the line of scrimmage. That's what LB's are for. Safeties are the last line of defense, of course many run stops he makes will be a few yards down the field.

I've yet to see JJ struggle to cover anyone. He's already got 10 passes defensed, a high number for a safety for an entire season, and he didn't see a ton of action in the 1st four games.

JJ is a long strider, he has plenty of speed to play the position. I have not seen him get beaten deep or in seam coverage badly a single time all year.

I have no clue what "never steps up on 3rd down" means.

We rarely give up the big pass plays downfield, this is due to Joyner and JJ, who are always in position. And yes, he is great at covering balls deep down the field, that's the primary responsibility of a safety in many coverage schemes.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was not in favor on starting him at strong safety because of his size. I thought strong safeties had to be big hitters. But this is why I trust Wade (and Snead). Pass the crow, please.

JackStraw

Rookie
This was supposed to be in blue font right? We can't possibly be talking about the same player.

You never really declared who you were talking about but I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same MFer

What's up with the C+ middle school level sarcasm and gross condescending phrasing of your question? You think you sounded clever, funny or insightful? Your Special Olympic energy has reared it's ugly head.

Is everything going okay at home, bud? Are you an aristocrat of sorts? 'We can't possibly be talking about the same _____' is kind of shit some real assholes say in real life. 'Oh look a different opinion? DISMISS DISMISS DISMISS'
Did you even read what I wrote? Do you think I just pulled that shit based on a drive or 2 I watched a few weeks ago?

Love the optimism but sorry, he's not good yet, not even close. I refuse to praise him for finishing 8th in his position during a week opponent's offense couldn't move the ball from jump street. There are 8-9 other guys who had a better game IMO. It's okay, for being the worst starter on the defense i'll take him.

You could have given me reasons to believe in JJ instead of being a narrow minded troll If you just said i'm not seeing the same things as you - I would have probably cheers you and moved on, but damn, you coming at me soaked in poor self esteem triggered me.

I like expressing my shit about things i'm into.I don't get snooty over anyone else's opinion,never have and never will. My reasoning is pretty fundamental. Thought policing is some weird shit.