JJ Watt Released, signs with Arizona

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Right !! Last season if you go back & look at Injuries The Rams got lucky.I don’t know if you saw the last game of the regular season? I’m glad Wolford was The Rams QB as well.Confidence wise Jared Goff was done.He needed the kick in the butt he got as well.
The Niners beat The Rams twice,but they did make sure injured players stepped up.The rivalry is back on especially with The Rams in LA.

Not sure what this response has to do with my post that you quoted? I wasn't even talking about injuries

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has yet to miss a game.

If that's the route you want to go I can say hes just not good because he's been bad against the Rams in all 3.25 games that he's played against us

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he likes teams in last place, it seems.... As long as it's warm in the offseason

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We won't beat the 49ers until the QB play improves along with the line. We've got the QB one down, I think, but we still need to shore up that offensive line cuz they punked us last time. I never thought we had a chance at Watt since I knew some team out there was willing to pay for the name. Can Watt be solid, sure, but he isn't worth what he got paid. Murray is an exciting player but that guy was running for his life most of last year. He's not built to keep taking hits like that and if the Cards aren't careful, they'll have damaged goods on their hands.

I think you're confusing last year with the year before. In the first game they barely touched Goff. Got to him a bit more in the second game, but in both games the OL was good enough.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So he likes teams in last place, it seems.... As long as it's warm in the offseason
iu

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I think you're confusing last year with the year before. In the first game they barely touched Goff. Got to him a bit more in the second game, but in both games the OL was good enough.

Yes possibly confusing it as I hate losing to that team and try best to block those games from my memory. However, still believe the O-line needs to be better next year since they'll get Bosa back.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I’m not at the point of predicting the future. Rams salary cap issues where not about a name.Brockers or Havenstien seem like salary cap problems.The Cards having Murray give them that luxury. 2 seasons is a little much,but like a poster said about The Rams signing of Suh.
I don’t think The Rams got Punked.I the DC had The Rams number.The safety’s were playing up daring Goff to go know he won’t.
I have no idea what the Niners are going to look like.If The Rams played them TODAY they would DESTROY them!!! That is not even a prediction.The Rams have a lot of talent.The problem is no Cap space & very few Draft picks.
The Niners are going to improve in the next few months.Kittle & Bosa are All Pro PlYers.
The 49ers will improve but saying we'll destroy them when we couldn't beat them with Mullens last year is too premature for me. We should beat the crap out of them with Stafford now at QB but Shanny seems to have our number so far. I so badly want the tables to turn.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
And I of course will admit that I'm wrong about the o-line from last year vs the 49ers. Just literally blocked what I could out from those losses since I live in more 49er territory and had to hear those fuckers brag.

DVontel

Rookie
Interesting. I need to think about that... but I can see what you mean.

Texans get Murray
Cards get Watson

Get in here, @DVontel

It really depends on what the Cards think of Murray. He’s looked good the little I’ve seen... but it’s also true that Murray is the littlest I’ve seen. lol
I would, but I mean, every team that’s not Kansas City would trade their QB for Watson. Clearly not going to happen though.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There’s no route to go. You made an error & I corrected it.

Just checked and didn't realize I typed it that way. I meant to say he's yet to finish a season without being banged up. I think he's been dealing with some injury in three of the four games we've played against him.

But if that's not the case and I'm misremembering that too, I'd say the jury is still out on whether he's a franchise QB - because he's looked awful everytime he steps on the field to play the Rams

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I of course will admit that I'm wrong about the o-line from last year vs the 49ers. Just literally blocked what I could out from those losses since I live in more 49er territory and had to hear those fuckers brag.

Well....all I'll say is that the main reason they beat us won't be applicable next year. So I like our chances.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Well....all I'll say is that the main reason they beat us won't be applicable next year. So I like our chances.
I hope we beat the shit out of their team. Tired of them getting over on us recently. Definitely cost us a playoff spot 2 years ago and possibly a top 2 seed in last year's playoffs. Hope you're right.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
J.J. Watt shockingly signs with the Cardinals: Five reasons why this move actually makes sense

During the 17 days that J.J. Watt was a free agent, the Texans star was connected to multiple teams. But for the most part, the Cardinals never really seemed to be in the conversation, which is one reason why it was so shocking on Monday when Watt announced on Twitter that he would be signing with Arizona. (It was also shocking that a fake Peloton account fooled America, but that's another story.)

Although it was surprising to see Watt sign a two-year, $31 million deal with the Cardinals, the move actually makes a lot of sense and here are five reasons why.

1. Watt is familiar with the defensive coordinator

It might not have been the deciding factor in Watt's choice, but you can bet that one of the reasons he ended up signing with Arizona is because of his familiarity with Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph. The two have a long history together that dates back to Watt's rookie year in 2011, when Joseph was the defensive backs coach on Houston's staff. Joseph ended up spending a total of three years in Houston learning under then Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, and to this day, Joseph still uses many of the same philosophies.

The reason this is good news for Watt is because three of his best seasons came while playing in Phillips' defense. During his first three seasons in the NFL, Watt totaled 36.5 sacks, which was the fifth-most in the league over the span. Thanks to those three years together, Joseph might be the one defensive coordinator in the NFL who knows best how to put this older version of Watt in a position to succeed.

2. Watt gets to team up with Chandler Jones

Although Watt managed to stay healthy last year, he ended 2020 with the lowest sack total of his career in any season where he played all 16 games. On the surface, putting together a five-sack season might make it seem like Watt was struggling, but the truth is, a big reason why those struggles happened is because nearly every opposing offense was focusing on him.

J.J. Watt was double-teamed as an edge rusher 30% of the time in 2020, the highest rate among qualifiers. https://t.co/ClqFBMTktG
— Seth Walder (@SethWalder) March 1, 2021

Watt saw more double-teams than any other pass-rusher in the NFL -- and when you're being double-teamed, it's not easy to be productive. In Arizona, Watt should almost certainly see fewer double-teams and that's because he's going to be on a defensive line that's also going to have Chandler Jones rushing the passer.

Over the past nine years, Watt and Jones have been the two most productive pass-rushers in the NFL when it comes to sacks.

Most sacks in the NFL since 2012:

1. Chandler Jones (97)
2. JJ Watt (95.5) pic.twitter.com/JYUREutdaP
— CBS Sports HQ (@CBSSportsHQ) March 1, 2021

Although both players are getting up their in age -- Watt will be 32 on March 22 and Jones is 31 -- they're both still productive and it won't be surprising at all if they're even more productive now that they're on the same defense.

3. Cardinals better positioned in case they lose Haason Reddick

One of the biggest questions the Cardinals are going to face this offseason is whether they should bring back Haason Reddick. After a career year that saw him tally 12.5 sacks, it's not going to be cheap to keep him and Arizona knows that. The Cardinals could hit him with the franchise tag, but at an estimated cost of $15.66 million, that might end up being something Arizona can't afford since they only have roughly $11 million in cap space right now.

The Cardinals also won't be able to get into a bidding war for Reddick's services, which means there's definitely a chance that he'lll be leaving in free agency. If Reddick does walk, the Cardinals are now in a better position to absorb his loss thanks to the addition of Watt. On the other hand, if Reddick does get re-signed, the Cardinals would have a loaded defense that would feature Jones, Watt, Budda Baker, Isaiah Simmons and Byron Murphy. At that point, the only true holes would be at corner and the Cardinals could focus on that in free agency or the draft.

4. Watt goes to a contender

If one thing was clear with Watt's free agency tour, it's that he wanted to play for a contender and the Cardinals definitely fit that bill heading into 2021. Last season, the Cards missed the playoffs because they lost a tiebreaker to the Bears for the last spot in the NFC. During their 8-8 season, the Cardinals lost five of their eight games by just one score and three of those five one-score losses came by three or fewer points. Basically, the Cardinals were competitive in almost every game they played and they were just a few plays away from possibly going 10-6 or even 11-5. When you're that close, one player can put you over the edge and Watt might be that one player.

One reason the Cardinals were so good is because of Kyler Murray, who apparently has a history with Watt.

6 years ago.. my senior year of HS. Welcome to AZ! Let’s get it! @JJWatt pic.twitter.com/yY7j2e9ww4
— Kyler Murray (@K1) March 1, 2021

OK, so maybe they don't have a history, but they did take a picture together once. Although Watt isn't tight with Murray just yet, he is close with DeAndre Hopkins, who helped recruit the three-time Defensive Player of the Year to Arizona.

Apparently, DeAndre Hopkins is as good at recruiting as he is at receiving #Cardinals #JJWatt https://t.co/iaTGbMhZcI pic.twitter.com/Q9de0Y3DbJ

— John Breech (@johnbreech) March 1, 2021
Forget his receiving skills, the Cardinals should be paying Hopkins for his recruiting skills.

5. Watt gets to play the Texans

J.J. Watt probably won't ever admit it, but you have to think that getting a chance to beat up on the Texans probably factored at least slightly into his decision. Although the Cardinals only get to play the Texans once every four years, the good news for Watt is that the next meeting between the two teams will come in 2021 in Arizona. So Watt gets to go to a contender, he gets to play for a coach he's familiar with, he's going to get paid a lot of money and he gets to beat up on his old team. Seems like a win-win-win-win for him.