Jared Goff to be inactive for Rams' season opener/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
First of all Hello again,
Been awhile since my last visit around draft time. Been following the message board the last few days after the news for Carson and Jared was released. For those who are upset Goff isn't starting holding him back if he isn't ready which by all reports he's obviously not isn't a bad thing. Give the guy a chance to learn the playbook. If questioning the coaches if they see that and being upset with them is your thing you should be more upset with those who reported Goff was more Pro ready than Wentz. I don't think those reports and you can correct me if I'm wrong were coming from the Rams coaching staff. It was from those who supposedly know how to evaluate talent (read fans who wanted one guy over the other or just website Monday morning know it all rubes in general). You can go back and see who posted the comments about Goff being more pro ready and then aim your negativity towards them not the coaching staff.

As to Wentz I always was of the opinion just based on my having the benefit of watching him play all his games in person as well as just knowing the type of offense he ran vs Jared and what he ran and that alone should have told you enough on that front. Bottom line tho is it won't tell anyone on either of the two who's overall NFL career will be successful or not. Lot's can happen (injuries) ect to affect that outcome.

Be patient you will get your chance to see Goff play eventually and then over time it will be fun to compare especially when they play against each other. In the meantime buckle up and enjoy the season!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If questioning the coaches if they see that and being upset with them is your thing you should be more upset with those who reported Goff was more Pro ready than Wentz. I don't think those reports and you can correct me if I'm wrong were coming from the Rams coaching staff. It was from those who supposedly know how to evaluate talent (read fans who wanted one guy over the other or just website Monday morning know it all rubes in general). You can go back and see who posted the comments about Goff being more pro ready and then aim your negativity towards them not the coaching staff.

If the Rams had drafted Carson Wentz, he'd be sitting in the same spot on the bench that Goff will be. And Goff would be starting for the Eagles right now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams had drafted Carson Wentz, he'd be sitting in the same spot on the bench that Goff will be. And Goff would be starting for the Eagles right now.
Actually he might be starting for the Browns according to DiPodesta.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

There is no way of knowing whether that is true. Maybe the Rams took it too slow, maybe the Eagles are rushing it - or maybe Wentz is just faster at picking up the playbook. We have no real way to know.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
This may be a very strange season of Rams football. If the Rams are winning games with Keenum I can actually see people shrugging and saying that it doesn't matter because Goff isn't getting snaps.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This may be a very strange season of Rams football. If the Rams are winning games with Keenum I can actually see people shrugging and saying that it doesn't matter because Goff isn't getting snaps.

I would be one of those people. I'd like to see them develop Goff and win - but if I had to choose between winning and working on his development, I'd choose winning.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no way of knowing whether that is true. Maybe the Rams took it too slow, maybe the Eagles are rushing it - or maybe Wentz is just faster at picking up the playbook. We have no real way to know.

It's very straight-forward. Name the last rookie QB that Jeff Fisher started Week 1. Hell, Wentz barely played in the preseason. You think the Rams would be starting a guy who missed almost the entire preseason? Nah.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
ZiSxP.jpg

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Some thoughts;
  1. I think Goff should have received more reps in preseason with the 1's.
  2. I think a lot of us are concerned because we've been conditioned to fear a bad offense under Fisher. So... If he's catching heat, he brought that on himself.
  3. I would have liked to see Goff as #2 this week as he could get mop-up reps in the 3rd/4th quarter when we get a big lead :sneaky:
  4. The fact Goff is sitting early, doesn't mean squat about his long term prospect. A LOT of QB's have needed time to break in. It's kind of disappointing to see the media tear the guy down "to create a story".
  5. Goff doesn't look ready, but he's close. You can see his skills. Once things slow down, he'll be thinking less and he'll be ready.
  6. Sitting Goff gives the offense time to get better before he's inserted as the starter. The oline. The young WR's. The new offense variations from Groh. Time helps Goff in these ways.
  7. I hate the thought of losing games with Keenum, while Goff sits. Here's hoping Keenum wins early so we aren't trying to dig out with a rookie.
  8. I understand the general concern... By I'm not feeling it, yet. So, I'm giving Fisher and is staff the benefit of the doubt to get him ready and that's going to take a couple more weeks.

I like #6 the most. Let's get everyone ready for a franchise QB. Let's get our level of play up so the kid doesn't get killed out there. Also, we still haven't figured out which of our receivers WANT to catch the ball.

Ellard80

Legend
So Case Keenum is our starting QB... and Jared Goff is inactive.

Sure it may be the right thing to do. But it really is somewhat laughable that he couldn't be the 2nd string QB and is behind a weak armed check down Charlie. Without the Hardknocks semi-glorification of Case Keenum I think this board would be a lot more in an uproar.

Case Keenum... with a Career 78-79 rating.

Sorry guys but it's pretty pathetic. Maybe he has figured something out, but I just don't see how we can have a productive passing game.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guess watching to see how it all plays out is just totally out of the question...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep hoping this is some cruel joke, and Fisher will yell, "Surprise 49ers, Goff is my starter" when we take the field next Monday. :cry:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I keep hoping this is some cruel joke, and Fisher will yell, "Surprise 49ers, Goff is my starter" when we take the field next Monday. :cry:

When they run out of the tunnel to the field covered by pyrotechnic smoke. Leading the team will be..........

Keenum.

Maybe you are right jrry. The greatest trick Jeff Fisher has ever pulled was convincing the NFL Goff didn't exist.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
So Case Keenum is our starting QB... and Jared Goff is inactive.

Sure it may be the right thing to do. But it really is somewhat laughable that he couldn't be the 2nd string QB and is behind a weak armed check down Charlie. Without the Hardknocks semi-glorification of Case Keenum I think this board would be a lot more in an uproar.

Case Keenum... with a Career 78-79 rating.

Sorry guys but it's pretty pathetic. Maybe he has figured something out, but I just don't see how we can have a productive passing game.

So now Mannion has a weak arm? Or were you referring to Keenum